Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Basil McGregor, General Contractor

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/27 17:43
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've worked with Basil several times. He has done a wide range of projects for us. He is an excellent, detail oriented contractor. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 4:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps in both cases it was Basil that heard the sounds, except it wasn't crickets, it was birds, cheap, cheap.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/10 21:47
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
Same thing for me last summer. Came out to the house to check out the work and never saw him again. Even speaking with him on several occasions after, he said he would send the quote. Nothing but crickets....chrip, chirp.

Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:
I called Basil about some remodeling work, and he came and took measurements, but never got back to me with an estimate. It was disappointing because I've heard such good things about his work, but obviously he's very much in demand.

The same thing happened to me this summer with a bathroom, and I was an old customer - he had already done my kitchen and replaced two interior flights of stairs (not a job you'd trust to anyone). I know he was eager to move and his house was for sale, so maybe he has left the area.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:
I called Basil about some remodeling work, and he came and took measurements, but never got back to me with an estimate. It was disappointing because I've heard such good things about his work, but obviously he's very much in demand.

The same thing happened to me this summer with a bathroom, and I was an old customer - he had already done my kitchen and replaced two interior flights of stairs (not a job you'd trust to anyone). I know he was eager to move and his house was for sale, so maybe he has left the area.

Doesn't say he left town on his website.

http://www.basilmcgregor.com/

Posted on: 2014/3/12 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/12 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Thanks for the responses (sans Mr Fawlty) I'm just being careful, people can be weird, and contractors even more so. I guess we've all had the ones who come, look, talk, and never give a price. I had a strange one last year who finished on Saturday and was ready to sue me on Tuesday because he hadn't been able to reach me over the weekend.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 3:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/11 19:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/25 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
He also did work for us -- soundproofing and sheetrock work -- and we were rather happy with the end results. The two things to keep in mind when working with him is that (a) he's in demand, and (b) he does not do rushed work. We appreciated that, but that also meant living with dust a little longer than we had anticipated. Still, we have only good things to say about him and his guys. His crews were here every morning on time and left on time, right at five. The couple of times that there was a need to put in extra hours to finish the job, he himself did it. He delivers on what he promises -- granted, with construction/remodeling projects flexibility is a must on both ends. We will hire him again if we ever need to.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunantly we confused him with this guy and had nothing but trouble.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/3/11 4:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/11 2:48
Group:
Registered Users
Yes and Yes. I hired him for painting and molding work this past summer. Quote was on target, no upselling. He worked clean and left the place clean. Next project is the bathroom and he's the one I have in mind.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Has anyone used Basil recently, and and is he still working to high standards?

Posted on: 2014/3/11 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I couldn't agree more with the OP. Basil and his team are EXCELLENT! We had them replace our floors with hardwood and tile and they did a tremendous job. I don't know about showers specifically but the work they did on the tile was very precise. I would totally trust them with a shower job.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I've heard a lot of good things about Basil on this board, and I'm wondering if anyone has Basil re-do their shower specifically? We're looking to re-do our (leaky) shower and is thinking about hiring Basil.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

PS If anyone has other contractors to recommend, we'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2012/5/13 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I want to also provide an unsolicited recommendation for Basil.

We saw he was recommended here several times and when we wanted to tile our basement after the last flood, we reached out to him. He came and gave a quote within a few days. It was within what my husband and I assumed would be the range and seemed very reasonable based on other basement work we've done.

He did the following: removed any necessary sheetrock beyond what the remediation company did, installed foam board installation, installed cement board, installed tile. This was for our 500 sq foot basement, up about 4 feet on the walls.

He and his team started every day on time and kept us apprised of their status at the end of each day. They often worked 12-hour days and rarely took breaks. They completed the work in exactly the amount of time they said, one week, and worked the weekend. Basil would often leave but he left good instructions with the other contractors and they seemed to respect his management (aka, didn't slack off when he wasn't around).

The above you'd hope any contractor would do, but Basil's team was also very clean, always sweeping as they went along. They even took the bags of trash to the curb on pickup day (of course JC didn't take). When my husband needed help with getting the tile from the delivery truck, Basil quickly sent one of his guys over to help even though that was not a day they were supposed to work.

I highly recommend him - because of their solid work, our basement looks great, is prepared for the next flood, and was done sooner than we had hoped.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Have to agree.
We used Basil to rebuild our bathroom wall. He was professional, affordable and did an amazing job with a complicated project.

Over the past 10 years - I think we have hit every bad contractor there is. (And there are a lot of them.)

I didn't think contractors like Basil existed.
I can't recommend him enough.

Clay Cockrell
J CITY Theater
www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2011/8/4 3:06

Basil McGregor, General Contractor

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/29 23:10
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I decided to write this unsolicited recommendation for Basil McGregor because my family had such a good experience with him working on our home. He may not be right for every contracting need, but I'm sure he'll be right for many. What we had done: - replaced wood flooring with tile in our front entry - re-worked our interior stairwell to allow for more room and accessibility - re-sealed small, hard-to-reach bay window roof - installed crown molding, patched electrical holes, and prepped & painted walls/ceiling of bedroom - patched over an old skylight to install a fan (he did not do the electrical or fan installation) - garbage disposal installation (again, not the electrical, but plumbing) - sured up a kitchen cabinet that was detached and had partially fallen from walls and ceiling They were all small jobs, but collectively they were too big for me and too small for most contractors. Why we chose him: Basil was the only contractor who came to us without an agenda. Most told me about how they only did bigger jobs, and I understand why, but this was the work I had. I also really liked the attention to detail I saw in his portfolio and that he had smaller jobs (steps & painting) in there, too. See for yourself: http://www.basilmcgregor.com/ Why we recommend him: I threw everything at Basil: small projects, a barking dog, new projects I had forgotten about, and a timeline that became tighter once our baby was born. He handled it all professionally and honestly. He was clean, efficient and thorough. I'm not certain if Basil is always the cheapest option out there, but I thought his pricing was extremely fair (based on other quotes I received) and for the quality of the work, I am extremely happy. I should note that Basil's partner, Leo, split the workload with him and both are friendly and professional. They are a great team and I whole heartedly recommend them for any contracting needs you may have.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 1:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017