Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Funding Cut by $83,560 To Our Local Animal Shelter LHS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I'd be curious to hear how much of the budget is allocated for programs that help reduce the stray population, like TNR efforts. A shelter is a terrible place for an animal to wind up. Would personally rather see fewer strays struggling with life on the streets and an eventual stay in the shelter.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 14:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/18 18:53
From Near the water, but on the land
Group:
Registered Users
No.... We dont want cats ending up in Lincoln Park again

Posted on: 2014/3/11 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
I find it odd that the HHS department states that the shelter reduced its hours. As it is the only facility to take in strays for the City of Jersey City, I thought the place is available 24/7 to the Animal Control officers. If Animal Control picks up a stray dog at 1:00am they are supposed to take it to the shelter. They used to have a key to let themselves in. Has this changed? And why? And if so, where is Animal Control taking that stray dog at 1:00am in the morning now.

Please do not confuse any type of reduction of hours to the public for adoptions or volunteers to impact the funding. The City, IMO, could care less about that. All the City must fund and take care of is capturing strays and impounding them. So why are they really cutting funding?

Good point.

LHS should change the contract to limit the number of strays they'll accept from JC Animal Control by -27% of last year's total. After that charge a flat fee per stray.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
I find it odd that the HHS department states that the shelter reduced its hours. As it is the only facility to take in strays for the City of Jersey City, I thought the place is available 24/7 to the Animal Control officers. If Animal Control picks up a stray dog at 1:00am they are supposed to take it to the shelter. They used to have a key to let themselves in. Has this changed? And why? And if so, where is Animal Control taking that stray dog at 1:00am in the morning now.

Please do not confuse any type of reduction of hours to the public for adoptions or volunteers to impact the funding. The City, IMO, could care less about that. All the City must fund and take care of is capturing strays and impounding them. So why are they really cutting funding?

Good point.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 15:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/11 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Regardless of the "why'", LHS is being deceptive with its supporters by leading folks to believe their entire budget was cut by 27%, rather than one of many funding sources. This ONE source was cut 27% and it makes up 10% or less of their annual budget.

As a long-time supporter of LHS, this tactic pisses me off.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
My point is that the "why" is very important here.

Agreed. In a new era that claims local government transparency, I would like to know "why" as well.

A clear explanation from LHS or JC Govt. would be appreciated. Why have hours been reduced? Whose side is that from - or has another entity been tapped to pick up the slack leading to a reduction in hours?

Posted on: 2014/3/10 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My point is that the "why" is very important here. If the city is simply cutting money because they are paying for a service that has also been cut then that is a really significant fact. If that is wrong then the record needs to be set straight. Either way, something is strange here.

By the way, I just donated to LHS so I support not only with my mouth but with my wallet. I'm for them. But if you want to advocate for issues like these the details are important.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Either way you look at it, LHS's services to protect and rescue is diminished.

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

jbat wrote:
Emailed Councilwoman Osborne about this and was happy to get a quick response and some clarification from her and HHS. Hopefully there are other ways to secure funding moving forward:

"Per an email I just got from HHS here are some more details (in italics) - essentially the impoundment is what HHS pays for with tax dollars and the contract reflects that. There are additional opportunities for grant funding, but it shouldn't be done via the contract for a specific service.:

Now to address the conversation, and the passage of the contract: The funding we provide LHS is specific to the State- Mandated impoundment of $300k annually. This is to impound animals we find or receive from our Animal Control Unit.

Over the past year, we have seen reduced services and hours, for our impoundment, and the contract reflects this.

We have offered many other funding opportunities and these funds come through other dollars, such as CSBG and CDBG.

As a reminder, HHS does not fund nonprofit efforts of any organization, if provides contracts for service.
"

This text implies that funding was reduced because hours were reduced, rather than reduced funding is causing reduced hours. Anyone know what the real driver here is?

Posted on: 2014/3/10 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, devilsadvocate has a valid point: if LHS reduced hours/services available to the city, then the city would be abdicating their fiduciary responsibility (to the city taxpayers) by not adjusting what they pay to LHS for impoundment services.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Either way you look at it, LHS's services to protect and rescue is diminished.

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

jbat wrote:
Emailed Councilwoman Osborne about this and was happy to get a quick response and some clarification from her and HHS. Hopefully there are other ways to secure funding moving forward:

"Per an email I just got from HHS here are some more details (in italics) - essentially the impoundment is what HHS pays for with tax dollars and the contract reflects that. There are additional opportunities for grant funding, but it shouldn't be done via the contract for a specific service.:

Now to address the conversation, and the passage of the contract: The funding we provide LHS is specific to the State- Mandated impoundment of $300k annually. This is to impound animals we find or receive from our Animal Control Unit.

Over the past year, we have seen reduced services and hours, for our impoundment, and the contract reflects this.

We have offered many other funding opportunities and these funds come through other dollars, such as CSBG and CDBG.

As a reminder, HHS does not fund nonprofit efforts of any organization, if provides contracts for service.
"

This text implies that funding was reduced because hours were reduced, rather than reduced funding is causing reduced hours. Anyone know what the real driver here is?

Posted on: 2014/3/10 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jbat wrote:

"

Posted on: 2014/3/10 20:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/17 13:07
Group:
Registered Users

"

Posted on: 2014/3/10 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I think there might be more to this story than the very alarmist email indicates. First off, only a portion of LHS's budget and funding comes from the city, and that money is to cover the part of LHS's mission to serve as the animal intake facility for the city, which most cities must have. And 27% OF THAT PORTION ONLY has been cut. Not 27% of their entire operating budget, as they are misleading people to think via this email. My semi-educated guess is that this $83k is likely 10% or less of their entire operating budget. Sure, its a hit. But hardly the alarmist, exaggerated hit they are conveying via their emails. I don't know why the funding was cut. But as the email indicates, the Dept. of HHS is working with LHS to help them identify more grant funding to make up this new gap. So its not like they aren't getting help from the city to make up that money.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I am not able to comment on the reasoning...that would be for the City and Politicians listed to answer :(

http://www.libertyhumane.org/donate.php

The above should be a good start or items needed. For drop off?
anytime lhs is open for adoptions or volunteers:

Liberty Humane Society, Inc.
235 Jersey City Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07305
Phone: (201) 547-4147 Email: lhs@libertyhumane.org

Public/Adoption Hours
Monday - Closed
Tuesday through Friday - 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday - 11:00 am to 4:00 pm

Volunteer Hours
Monday - 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
Tuesday through Friday - 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm

LHS is closed on the following holidays:
New Year's Day
Easter Sunday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day

Posted on: 2014/3/10 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Luna,

Can you expand a bit on the reasoning behind the cut to the funding? Was there notice or did this just happen? Is JC planning on replacing the services of LHS with another provider?

LHS provides some pretty important services to our community. I've seen first-hand how the folks at LHS work - and it's darn impressive how scrappy they are already. I cannot imagine losing that much funding so quickly.

Can you provide a list of supplies that are most urgently needed and drop off times?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 14:24

Funding Cut by $83,560 To Our Local Animal Shelter LHS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
URGENT HELP NEEDED: Please read entire post and contact local politicians listed below:
As of March 1st, Jersey City has reduced LHS's funding by $83,560 (27%). The Health Department has committed to partnering with LHS to find additional sources of grant and program revenue, but we have had to make some difficult decisions to keep the organization moving forward.
As of today, LHS will be operating with fewer staff and changes in our hours of operation. Given the immediacy of this funding reduction we had to make some hard choices, which we know are not ideal. With Spring quickly approaching and animal intakes going to rise, we are asking for your help in adjusting to this new reality.
We are looking for volunteers to fill some immediate vacancies in kennel, cattery and front desk positions, as well as assist with volunteer recruitment and supply donations. If you would be able to commit to any of the times or positions below for two weeks or more, please contact Melanie (volunteer@libertyhumane.org) for additional training and information:
Kennel (Cleaning and animal care): Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays 9am-4pm, Thursdays and Fridays 9am-7pm
Cattery (Cleaning and animal care): Monday through Friday 9am-7pm, Saturday and Sunday 7am-4pm
Front Desk (Phones, emails and public correspondence): Saturday and Sunday 10:30am-4pm
If you are able to contribute supplies or can recruit for donations from our shelter wishlist that would also really help us stretch our funding further.
Lastly, we know how important animals are to our community, and how essential it is to have a shelter who is equipped to provide them with quality care. But our political leaders don't know how you feel, unless you tell them. If you want to see future funding to LHS increased, not reduced, please tell the Jersey City Council (contact information, below).
Thank you for your continued help, understanding, and commitment to the animals we care for.
Jersey City City Council Members:

Council President: Rolando Lavarro- 201.547.5268- rlavarro@jcnj.org

At large: Joyce Watterman- 201.547.5134- jwatterman@jcnj.org

At large: Daniel Rivera- 201.547.5319- drivera@jcnj.org

Ward A: Frank Gajewski- 201.547.5098- fgajewski@jcnj.org

Ward B: Khemraj "Chico" Ramchal- 201.547.5092- kramchal@jcnj.org

Ward C (Journal Square): Rich Boggiano- 201.547.5159- rboggiano@jcnj.org

Ward D (the Heights): Michael Yun- 201.547.5485- myun@jcnj.org

Ward E (Downtown): Candice Osborne- 201.547.5315- cosborne@jcnj.org

Ward F (Where LHS is located): Diane Coleman- 201.547.5338- dcoleman@jcnj.org

Office of the Mayor:

Mayor Steven Fulop- 201.547.5200