Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Sweets 4 miles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Steven Rodas | For The Jersey Journal

For Monique Johnson, baking and happiness have always been synonymous.

Naturally then, when her son Miles passed away from cancer in 2008, she decided that a bakery would be the perfect way to honor the love and joy he provided her.

Sweets 4 Miles, at 426 Ocean Ave. in Jersey City, opened in March touting freshly baked seasonal pies, cookies, parfaits, red velvet cupcakes and custom cakes. The bakery also has a non-profit side called the Miles 2 Go charity dedicated to helping children with life-threatening illnesses.

Becoming a full-time baker

Although she always loved baking ? "taking lessons" by watching her grandmother in the kitchen growing up and earning the nickname "Betty Crocker" as a teen ? Johnson was hard-pressed at first to enter the field as a professional.

"I attended college for media arts and various majors, simply confused on what I wanted to major in," she said.

Story

Posted on: 2015/7/21 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

You do that.

I was told they were close for a few days because they were shooting a commercial.

Posted on: 2014/4/8 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
They are not officially open until today @ 5PM after the ribbon cutting. They only had a soft opening.

Well and good, but no such distinction is/was on their posted hours on their website, nor the information inside the store when I visited several weeks ago.

I'll call in advance if I choose to try again, and suggest others do so if they're driving there.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
They are not officially open until today @ 5PM after the ribbon cutting. They only had a soft opening.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
After a initial visit, I've since driven down to Ocean Avenue twice only to find them shuttered during hours they posted they'd be open.

If you're going to give them a try I'd call before making the effort.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

April 7, Ribbon cutting ceremony with the mayor and other city officials. Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/4/1 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Lol longtime lurker, I've just become more active on here this past year. I get so many laughs out of JCList altercations, I come for the info but stay for the entertainment lol. Trying to keep Nextdoor mostly informational, so far so good!

Looking forward to visiting this cupcake shop soon, sounds really good. Also, another +1 for Honey Bakery; they have phenomenal food. Does anyone remember if there's already a thread on great places to eat outside of downtown? If not I'll start that bad boy up, cuz there are some serious gems I'm sure a lot of DTers aren't aware of.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Joel: if you have to ask that question, you haven't been around JCLIST long enough! Heights is our very own Archie Bunker, except his vitriol is sadder and scarier because he is a REAL person, and not a TV character.

I will say this, though: he toned it down considerably about two years ago. But, in recent months, he has started to revert to his previous self.

PS - Another reason why your labor of love (Nextdoor Lafayette) is such a breath of fresh air when compared to some of the nonsense in some of the JCList threads.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
For the record, what I meant was that Ocean Avenue is in dire need of investment and rehabilitation, and this store is the type that would bring me there on occasion to support this kind of initiative.

There are a few stores I already support in the Heights (Andrea Salumeria among them) but Ocean Avenue isn't on my radar for, well, just about anything. Now it is.

I was not trying to degrade the location of choice actually just wondering why; when Ocean Ave was picked as the location a comment "good for them" was used. Makes me think that they were doing Ocean Ave a favor by opening there because that area was some place to stay clear of. Careful how you extend gratitude and also interpret things.
And I am from and still living in the Heights why shouldn't I root for my "home team" and want what is best for "my family" here in the Heights.

jeez

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
For the record, what I meant was that Ocean Avenue is in dire need of investment and rehabilitation, and this store is the type that would bring me there on occasion to support this kind of initiative.

There are a few stores I already support in the Heights (Andrea Salumeria among them) but Ocean Avenue isn't on my radar for, well, just about anything. Now it is.

I was not trying to degrade the location of choice actually just wondering why; when Ocean Ave was picked as the location a comment "good for them" was used. Makes me think that they were doing Ocean Ave a favor by opening there because that area was some place to stay clear of. Careful how you extend gratitude and also interpret things.
And I am from and still living in the Heights why shouldn't I root for my "home team" and want what is best for "my family" here in the Heights.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
It truly is: that lamb rice pilaf with the dumplings ... the quintessence of comfort food. I have friends coming from Europe to stay with me this summer and we will be going there.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Thanks for the tip! will definitely be checking out. I like venturing out of downtown to try new spots. I was at Honey Bakery this past fall and their food excellent.

Honey Bakery is the real deal, this place is so underrated and very original.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
+1 on Honey Bakery! Their food is really, really good. I always make it a point to stop by their stall in the Grove St Plaza farmers' market. Their rice pilaf is insanely good, and so are their version of samosas.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the tip! will definitely be checking out. I like venturing out of downtown to try new spots. I was at Honey Bakery this past fall and their food excellent.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Sweet! (pun...maybe intended?)

As someone who makes fun of how much NYers pay for OK cupcakes, I'm definitely going to check this out with my GF. We're both big fans of the cupcake, and I haven't really found much in JC to speak of.

I'm excited to check it out.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
OK, just got back from Sweet 4 Miles. Very clean, nicely decorated, and a pretty good assortment. I bought some red velvet cupcakes, lemon cupcakes, brownies, and peach cobbler. (Note-small cupcakes are $2, not $1.50-large are $3.)

The woman who bakes is a culinary arts teacher at Lincoln High, according to her husband who helped me today. I'm having a brownie for lunch-very moist, but not hugely deep with chocolate flavor. That said, for $2 it's a steal.

We'll have the peach cobbler tonight-it must be 3/4 lb and smells great-if it tastes anywhere near as good it'll be unreal value at $3!

The gent mentioned as they grow the choices will continue to expand. He couldn't have been nicer and more welcoming-and the folks next door gave me a big hello and goodbye as well.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I agree, however there is the thrift store, soul food spot, & gallery next door to S4M that I frequent. There is also the Mexican spot a few blocks up I go quite often actually too often.

Other than that, there is nothing but churches, liquor stores and bad chicken and Chinese.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
OK, just got back from Sweet 4 Miles. Very clean, nicely decorated, and a pretty good assortment. I bought some red velvet cupcakes, lemon cupcakes, brownies, and peach cobbler. (Note-small cupcakes are $2, not $1.50-large are $3.)

The woman who bakes is a culinary arts teacher at Lincoln High, according to her husband who helped me today. I'm having a brownie for lunch-very moist, but not hugely deep with chocolate flavor. That said, for $2 it's a steal.

We'll have the peach cobbler tonight-it must be 3/4 lb and smells great-if it tastes anywhere near as good it'll be unreal value at $3!

The gent mentioned as they grow the choices will continue to expand. He couldn't have been nicer and more welcoming-and the folks next door gave me a big hello and goodbye as well.

Please report back on the cobbler, I would love to get some for the weekend. Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Joel: if you have to ask that question, you haven't been around JCLIST long enough! Heights is our very own Archie Bunker, except his vitriol is sadder and scarier because he is a REAL person, and not a TV character.

I will say this, though: he toned it down considerably about two years ago. But, in recent months, he has started to revert to his previous self.

PS - Another reason why your labor of love (Nextdoor Lafayette) is such a breath of fresh air when compared to some of the nonsense in some of the JCList threads.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Can't tell if this is a joke or not lol. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I'll give them a try. Good for them opening up on Ocean Avenue, wish them luck!

Why is it "good for them" to open on Ocean Ave. ? I think opening a business in the Heights would be good for us. Such as the recent coffee shop.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/12 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Why is it "good for them" to open on Ocean Ave. ? I think opening a business in the Heights would be good for us. Such as the recent coffee shop.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 13:07
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/9 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome, look forward to checking them out.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 19:10

Sweets 4 miles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All!

I stopped by the grand opening of Sweet 4 Miles a new bakery on Ocean ave next to Nuradeen Gallery.

This spot offers cupcakes, four different types of brownies, sweet potato pies, cookies. birthday cakes and much more.

Prices are very reasonable. For example, cupcakes are $1.50 each and brownies are $2.00 each.

Resized Image

So far I have tried the whipped cream cake that was awesome, the brownie I thought was bland and not very interesting.

I am glad to see this spot finally open, its a great addition to the BSP area and we are all very excited up here to see some life come back to Ocean ave.

Sweets 4 Miles
Phone: 201-325-1410
Email: sweets4miles@live.com

Hours of Operation
Mon-Sun: 10am-8pm

Address
426 Ocean Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07305

Wishing them the best of luck!

Posted on: 2014/3/9 18:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username: