Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: How is the neigborhood on Virginia Terrace between JFK blvd and west side ave?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 19:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
I'm glad to hear it's a diverse neighborhood. That's a big win as far as I'm concerned. And thanks for suggesting checking to see if there's a block association. I'm going to take a few more day trips out there and feel the place out. Thanks.

Well it took long enough to scope that out. This should have been a question up front so you would know about diversity in the community. By the way make sure you go to your Police Captain's meeting as well as you block association meeting.

Safety, diversity, increasing property value, cute shops etc and commute are all a big deal to me. It sounds like west bergen neighborhood may have that. I'll keep the police captain meetings in mind too. Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 23:36

Re: How is the neigborhood on Virginia Terrace between JFK blvd and west side ave?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
I'm glad to hear it's a diverse neighborhood. That's a big win as far as I'm concerned. And thanks for suggesting checking to see if there's a block association. I'm going to take a few more day trips out there and feel the place out. Thanks.

Well it took long enough to scope that out. This should have been a question up front so you would know about diversity in the community. By the way make sure you go to your Police Captain's meeting as well as you block association meeting.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 19:10
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
This seems like a nice cute little block between Boyd and Ege avenues. Being on a dead end street west of Kennedy can also deter burglars from breaking in to your place. The road is narrow so u-turns can be tricky and the cobblestone road makes the area look quaint. Might not be a bad investment seeing that they rehabed you building. How many families is the building ?

It's a small 1 family - 3 bedrooms 1 bath with walk out basement, fully renovated for 239K. Very cute place.

I just went by there so I can stop by the bakery on West Side IMO just from the outside it look like its worth about 219K and its brick which is on another level than most houses around.. so maybe its not over priced. I love the block, and the cobblestone... its beautiful.

Thanks! It looks even nicer inside. All wood floors exposed brick big yard. They redid everything including plumbing electric roof - you name it. I'm seriously considering it.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
This seems like a nice cute little block between Boyd and Ege avenues. Being on a dead end street west of Kennedy can also deter burglars from breaking in to your place. The road is narrow so u-turns can be tricky and the cobblestone road makes the area look quaint. Might not be a bad investment seeing that they rehabed you building. How many families is the building ?

It's a small 1 family - 3 bedrooms 1 bath with walk out basement, fully renovated for 239K. Very cute place.

I just went by there so I can stop by the bakery on West Side IMO just from the outside it look like its worth about 219K and its brick which is on another level than most houses around.. so maybe its not over priced. I love the block, and the cobblestone... its beautiful.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
You have to see it for yourself. I was shocked when I saw families walking about, gays holding hands, white and Asian folks walking down Ocean ave without a care.

After leaving dtjc and discovering other parts of the city I realize the fear factor is a bunch of hype. One thing we have in our favor up this way much more public transportation options than other parts of the city. Yes there are shootings, muggings, assaults but its the same victims and same perps over and over again. If you are not a drug dealer you should be fine. Also we now have more police present up this way, not sure about this neighborhood but we now have foot patrols here @ Bayside Park which makes a huge difference. (Thanks Mayor!)

I would also suggest checking out if there is a block association in the neighborhood and email them and ask them questions regarding safety and what is in the plans for the neighborhood. That is what help me make my decision, the head of the block association for my neighborhood was the a police captain. The JC city site has all the block associations listed.

I am not afraid of any party of JC. I don't like some parts but not afraid of it. For the most part people are warm and friendly up here and mind their own biz. People on this board here are scared of their own shadows and never walked around the area just drove through and think their opinions are relevant.

I agree walk around during the day, come back at night. I was worried when I first started looking up this way due to all the fear mongering on this board and other boards. I remember asking this same question in 2010 and most said I would be stabbed, mugged or killed and should stay dtjc. So far none of that has happened, and I have never had a break in. Its your choice not ours.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Hi 1111 check your inbox.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Howpat wrote:
Thank you 1111. Hope to see you at Project Greenville.

I look like my avatar, and walk on Ocean Av to the post office,
and to buy the newspaper. (not at night, or wearing Prada)
I've lived in this area my whole life without any problems to my personal safety.

If you understand you can be mugged, or shot anywhere, even
the Short Hills Mall, you will keep your eyes open.

Yes, it does seem to be the same bunch of thugs again and again in the same areas. But, the police are doing a better job these days.

How many people have ever gone up and down the side streets of some of these neighborhoods? Some houses -especially the Victorian mansions are beautiful. You may be surprised to see the mixture of people you didn't know lived in the neighborhood.

When Bayside Park had its ribbon cutting a few years ago, I was surprised to see how diverse it was. The fact is we do not have supermarkets to bring us together, most of us live in private homes so we don't use the local laundry mat, We do not have a restaurant row where we can sit out side cafes and people watch. So until you spend time here like I have, you just wont know who lives in all the side streets in GV.

Lets face it, Ocean ave, MLK Drive, and Bergen have been so badly neglected over the years so it attracts drug dealing, hookers and rif raf especially at night. This will change soon, a developer has just purchased a few spots on Ocean. Most people I know here just drive over to Bayonne to do their shopping, its only a 5 min drive.

Project Greenville is in my calender and hope to be there and check out the show. Glad to hear she is doing it indoors this time.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you 1111. Hope to see you at Project Greenville.

I look like my avatar, and walk on Ocean Av to the post office,
and to buy the newspaper. (not at night, or wearing Prada)
I've lived in this area my whole life without any problems to my personal safety.

If you understand you can be mugged, or shot anywhere, even
the Short Hills Mall, you will keep your eyes open.

Yes, it does seem to be the same bunch of thugs again and again in the same areas. But, the police are doing a better job these days.

How many people have ever gone up and down the side streets of some of these neighborhoods? Some houses -especially the Victorian mansions are beautiful. You may be surprised to see the mixture of people you didn't know lived in the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
You have to see it for yourself. I was shocked when I saw families walking about, gays holding hands, white and Asian folks walking down Ocean ave without a care.

After leaving dtjc and discovering other parts of the city I realize the fear factor is a bunch of hype. One thing we have in our favor up this way much more public transportation options than other parts of the city. Yes there are shootings, muggings, assaults but its the same victims and same perps over and over again. If you are not a drug dealer you should be fine. Also we now have more police present up this way, not sure about this neighborhood but we now have foot patrols here @ Bayside Park which makes a huge difference. (Thanks Mayor!)

I would also suggest checking out if there is a block association in the neighborhood and email them and ask them questions regarding safety and what is in the plans for the neighborhood. That is what help me make my decision, the head of the block association for my neighborhood was the a police captain. The JC city site has all the block associations listed.

I am not afraid of any party of JC. I don't like some parts but not afraid of it. For the most part people are warm and friendly up here and mind their own biz. People on this board here are scared of their own shadows and never walked around the area just drove through and think their opinions are relevant.

I agree walk around during the day, come back at night. I was worried when I first started looking up this way due to all the fear mongering on this board and other boards. I remember asking this same question in 2010 and most said I would be stabbed, mugged or killed and should stay dtjc. So far none of that has happened, and I have never had a break in. Its your choice not ours.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:38

Edited by user1111 on 2014/3/7 14:55:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/7 4:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:

after work should be okay. after dark it's relatively safe but you'll probably feel like you're being followed at times. it really depends on what your definition of unsafe is. i've walked around that area many times at odd hours and nothing has ever happened.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I definitely have to think this over.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 3:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
How do they feel unsafe? Would they feel safe walking to and from the lightrail after work. Walking to store etc after dark?Thanks.

after work should be okay. after dark it's relatively safe but you'll probably feel like you're being followed at times. it really depends on what your definition of unsafe is. i've walked around that area many times at odd hours and nothing has ever happened.

As for NJCU i think it's great for the city that they are expanding and becoming a bigger university. for me personally i have mixed feelings towards the school. i grew up on college st, which is right behind the university dorm building which had a camera directly pointed at my parents former house for security. The area by the school also gets 24 hour security from njcu via security vehicles driving around constantly. when my parents house got burglarized in broad daylight the vehicles driving around refused to talk to the police and the camera that was pointed at our house was supposedly not working and its purpose was more of a scare tactic then anything.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 2:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Shelaine, go spend a LOT of time in the neighborhood! walk around both at rush hr to see who's walking home from work, and during the day and evenings to see who's just hanging out. Then you'll know.

Everyone here has different tolerances for just how much gentrifying they're up for. I drive through that area frequently and personally I find it much scarier than the Heights, where I have invested.

Good point. I went to see the property during the day on Sunday and at night one day this week. It was pretty quiet both times but I think that has a lot more to do with the weather.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Shelaine, go spend a LOT of time in the neighborhood! walk around both at rush hr to see who's walking home from work, and during the day and evenings to see who's just hanging out. Then you'll know.

Everyone here has different tolerances for just how much gentrifying they're up for. I drive through that area frequently and personally I find it much scarier than the Heights, where I have invested.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 2:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

score09 wrote:

I have never lived in that area, but having lived downtown and with a car for over twelve years. I'd say a major selling point is the expansion or renaissance that is New Jersey City University, only seven blocks to the South. They are building a new west Side campus down by the Home Depot on 440. It is a University that is growing, despite declining enrollments in recent years. It is the one thing about Jersey City that could be a huge game changer for that area, especially if it is able to develop a DI Men's basketball team. Also in the area, there is a gem of an Italian Deli called "Carmine's" that is not far from there, down on Mallory, I think.

Thanks for the info about NJCU. That's really good to know. I've lived in DTJC since 08 and I love all the progress I see so I want to make an investment. But my budget maxes out at $250K which takes downtown and the Heights out of the equation. I will definitely check out Bergen Lafayette. Safety is an issue and I don't drive so I need to feel comfortable walking to and from the light rail and walking around town.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 2:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I have a good amount of friends that still live in the area and in their opinion it's a bit betters but still feel unsafe at times.

How do they feel unsafe? Would they feel safe walking to and from the lightrail after work. Walking to store etc after dark?Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
I believe Virginia Terrace is in the Jersey City neighborhood known as "West Side" and in part borders the neighborhood known as "Greenville."

I have never lived in that area, but having lived downtown and with a car for over twelve years. I'd say a major selling point is the expansion or renaissance that is New Jersey City University, only seven blocks to the South. They are building a new west Side campus down by the Home Depot on 440. It is a University that is growing, despite declining enrollments in recent years. It is the one thing about Jersey City that could be a huge game changer for that area, especially if it is able to develop a DI Men's basketball team. Also in the area, there is a gem of an Italian Deli called "Carmine's" that is not far from there, down on Mallory, I think.

Having said that, I'd be more inclined to take less space and invest in Downtown JC. Or, maybe in Bergen Lafayette. It is true, that a rising tide raises all boats, and jersey City is certainly rising in spectacular fashion. But, as with all low-socioeconomic areas, the concomitant issues that go along ARE a concern in terms of safety. There's just no getting around it. Where there are bad schools, there is poverty and by extension, there is crime.

Quote:

shelaine wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the neighborhood is like?

Posted on: 2014/3/7 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
I live downtown and walk often to Lincoln Park. From Virginia terrace, Lincoln Park is a hop, skip and a jump.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
There is no parks within walking distance, the nearest is Lincoln Park so if you have a dog or like to run like myself you are out of luck.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 1:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I also grew up close to the area you're looking at..and in all honestly i sometimes miss it.

i remember in the 90's it was really bad and you knew which blocks not to walk on. in the early 2000's things got a lot better. around 2010 my parents house got burglarized along with other people in the neighborhood. that's when my parents decided they had enough and sold the house and moved to the suburbs while i moved to dtjc.

I have a good amount of friends that still live in the area and in their opinion it's a bit betters but still feel unsafe at times.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 1:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is in West Bergen

What I knew of Virginia Ave Blvd- West Side a decade ago, there were lots of break ins.

When the school dismissed, it was chaos.

But, things may have changed

Check out Mylocalcrime.com to get more up to date info.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

No problem, it was a pleasure. Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
[/quote]

Well you don't have to pay what they are asking, when my house first went on the market they were asking 225k and after some negotiations I was able to grab it for 140k. After I pointed out all the problems. Also my spot only had 1.5 baths.

I gutted both baths and rebuild both of them into full baths. They were gross pink and blue bathrooms with blue & pink toilets and tubs right out of the 60's.

This is why I stay away from renovated homes because the last guy feels he did such great work he can get outlandish $$$ for the place. [/quote]

Sounds like I could find a better deal if I keep looking so the search continues. Thanks for your input!

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
I have 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths with a driveway and garage a total of 1600 sq ft, with less than a 2 min walk to the rail.

Ahhh then the price for this one is too high. Its only 1 bath, 7 min walk to rail, 1500 sq ft. and no driveway. Good to know. Thanks.

[/quote]

Well you don't have to pay what they are asking, when my house first went on the market they were asking 225k and after some negotiations I was able to grab it for 140k. After I pointed out all the problems. Also my spot only had 1.5 baths.

I gutted both baths and rebuild both of them into full baths. They were gross pink and blue bathrooms with blue & pink toilets and tubs right out of the 60's.

This is why I stay away from renovated homes because the last guy feels he did such great work he can get outlandish $$$ for the place.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths with a driveway and garage a total of 1600 sq ft, with less than a 2 min walk to the rail. [/quote]

Ahhh then the price for this one is too high. Its only 1 bath, 7 min walk to rail, 1500 sq ft. and no driveway. Good to know. Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
That does seem high, I looked at a Victorian on Ege not too long ago and it was listed for 150k but they did nothing to it since 1967 the way I like it, LOL I love fixing things myself. I don't trust anyone else work. I passed on it when I found out it had a oil tank still in the front yard. My current home I live in now just got appraised for 283k, I purchased it for 140k.

I wish I could do the work myself but I know that's unrealistic. This is a 3 br/1 ba with walkout basement, no oil tank, granite open kitchen, exposed brick. The place looks awesome. If the work is shoddy I guess that would come out during the inspection.

Glad to hear your appraisal value went up. That's comforting. How many bedrooms if you don't mind me asking?[/quote]

I have 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths with a driveway and garage a total of 1600 sq ft, with less than a 2 min walk to the rail.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That does seem high, I looked at a Victorian on Ege not too long ago and it was listed for 150k but they did nothing to it since 1967 the way I like it, LOL I love fixing things myself. I don't trust anyone else work. I passed on it when I found out it had a oil tank still in the front yard. My current home I live in now just got appraised for 283k, I purchased it for 140k. [/quote]

I wish I could do the work myself but I know that's unrealistic. This is a 3 br/1 ba with walkout basement, no oil tank, granite open kitchen, exposed brick. The place looks awesome. If the work is shoddy I guess that would come out during the inspection.

Glad to hear your appraisal value went up. That's comforting. How many bedrooms if you don't mind me asking?

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
Thanks a lot for the quick response. I'm clueless about the area so this is a big help. I work in Newark so I'll be commuting to JSQ PATH everyday which seems easy enough. Glad to hear there are cute shops and restaurants in the area. The place i'm looking at is a completely renovated row house. They've redone everything from plumbing to roof etc and it's listed for $239K. I thought that might be a bit high for the area but worth it if the property values are on the rise.

That does seem high, I looked at a Victorian on Ege not too long ago and it was listed for 150k but they did nothing to it since 1967 the way I like it, LOL I love fixing things myself. I don't trust anyone else work. I passed on it when I found out it had a oil tank still in the front yard. My current home I live in now just got appraised for 283k, I purchased it for 140k.

Just keep in mind, GV is going to suffer lots more foreclosures and short-sales more so than any other part of the city so there is tons of houses for sale at the moment. The homes that are doing very well in GV and BL are located next to the lighrail stations which this one is.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the response. How long ago did you live around there? Is the area improving?

Posted on: 2014/3/6 22:04

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017