Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City will overtake Newark population by 2016, Mayor Fulop claims
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Well according to this philosophy, no one is entitled to anything. By the way, I am a property owner and I entitled to be here based on full payment of taxes and family history. I've notice no one raise the issue of entitlement when the city is handing out generous abatements.

You have the right to stay where you are. However, you don't have the right (nor the ability) to stop change from happening around you.

Pshaw - for example, every successful NIMBY effort is a demonstration of one's right to stop change from happening around you.

I meant more in the general sense. Sure, NIMBY's can affect individual projects - but overall, the city is growing.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Well according to this philosophy, no one is entitled to anything. By the way, I am a property owner and I entitled to be here based on full payment of taxes and family history. I've notice no one raise the issue of entitlement when the city is handing out generous abatements.

You have the right to stay where you are. However, you don't have the right (nor the ability) to stop change from happening around you.

Pshaw - for example, every successful NIMBY effort is a demonstration of one's right to stop change from happening around you.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/8 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I am also entitled to sell my house and investments downtown for 10x or more than what I paid. I believe that is in part because investment was encouraged thru abatements which improved the neighborhood both socially and physically. That's why I won't badmouth abatements (very much). And may I suggest that biting the hand that feeds one is rather disingenuous.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/8 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
So a person who has been here over 40 years (roots from Hoboken) should move? My husband's family has been in downtown JC since 1880 but in a typical arrogant fashion, someone I am guessing who is a newbie is suggesting I move. When I videotaped the debates for council last year, there was a number of candidates in other parts of the city who referred to downtown as the "beautiful people." They did not mean that in a generous way.

As hard as this may be to hear, the truth is that just because you?ve lived somewhere a long time does not entitle you to live there forever.

I?m not a Downtown resident but as is the case with everything: things change.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Explain to me why having the highest population is such a great prize. I saw a tv program where the reporter compared some parts of NJ with the density of Bangladesh, India. They were referring to West NY and Union City. But I guess you can add Hoboken to that list also.

For one, you have less resources going to cover wider areas. Your municipalities will spend less per person. For two, growth generally means growth all over. New people bring new restaurants and bars, new social life.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, because, Fulop wants the title of being the mayor of the largest city, he wants to be the next Booker with speaking engagements around the nation. As I said earlier, why should long term residents move? If we stop selling the city with abatements, then the city would grow at a normal pace. Luckily, I have retired and do not take the PATH more, but I do feel for people now paying big bucks to get on the train only to be crushed. If you notice the bridge scandal, the development in Harrison by the PATH is connected to one of Christie's friends. We are doing development to reward political connections. There is an abatement hearing on 25 Senate Place which is close to the Skyway, 139, 1 & 9, Charlotte Circle. It is a massive route, but the planning department did not require a traffic study. It is unbelievable how the needs of the citizens are ignore so developers can make more money. I believe overdevelopment is destroying our quality of life.

I must ask as you seem to just assume you have a right to remain a resident of Jersey City no matter what? What gives you that right?

If you own a home and are able to pay the mortgage and taxes, you can stay. However, if you are a renter and rents become too high, you can go.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 23:12
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, because, Fulop wants the title of being the mayor of the largest city, he wants to be the next Booker with speaking engagements around the nation. As I said earlier, why should long term residents move? If we stop selling the city with abatements, then the city would grow at a normal pace. Luckily, I have retired and do not take the PATH more, but I do feel for people now paying big bucks to get on the train only to be crushed. If you notice the bridge scandal, the development in Harrison by the PATH is connected to one of Christie's friends. We are doing development to reward political connections. There is an abatement hearing on 25 Senate Place which is close to the Skyway, 139, 1 & 9, Charlotte Circle. It is a massive route, but the planning department did not require a traffic study. It is unbelievable how the needs of the citizens are ignore so developers can make more money. I believe overdevelopment is destroying our quality of life.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 21:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
So... back to the article...

I found it amusing that the article was written as if Fulop was throwing down the gauntlet and taunting Newark.

All he said was that the city is going to surpass Newark in population. This isn't a taunt or a threat, it's an extrapolation of population growth data, and it seems quite inevitable.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is difficult to respond to someone with a sentence for a name. Personally, I do not think we have the proper infrastructure to support a growing population. There are not enough schools, parks, or mass transit to support this growth. Van Vorst Park is an example of a park being overuse. Since Liberty Harbor Development, there has been more dogs and people in the park. There is not enough green space.

Sorry you feel that way. Feel free to deal with the growth or move to a place that isn't as crowded

Posted on: 2014/3/7 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is difficult to respond to someone with a sentence for a name. Personally, I do not think we have the proper infrastructure to support a growing population. There are not enough schools, parks, or mass transit to support this growth. Van Vorst Park is an example of a park being overuse. Since Liberty Harbor Development, there has been more dogs and people in the park. There is not enough green space.

This must be true Yvonne because when city employees and public safety officials come to my block association (Nelson Avenue Block Association) as guest speakers most say not enough man power and not enough money in the budget. I even heard the North District police captain state budget constraints for less hiring of new officers. So with this in mind why would the City of Jersey City approve of such growth if the voting public is against it ? What were the answers given regarding these issues to the people during the municipal election debates ?

Posted on: 2014/3/7 20:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/7 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If it means nothing then why the thread?

Who said it means nothing? That's 3 in a row. Please respond to what I said, not what you want me to say.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If it means nothing then why the thread?

Posted on: 2014/3/7 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Explain to me why having the highest population is such a great prize. I saw a tv program where the reporter compared some parts of NJ with the density of Bangladesh, India. They were referring to West NY and Union City. But I guess you can add Hoboken to that list also.

I never said having a high population is a great prize. Just like I never said you were new to JC. You're putting words in my mouth again and I'll call it out every time I see it.

All I said was is that Jersey City is growing, whether you like it or not, whether you are a long-term resident or not, whether you move or not. It's happening, deal with it.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
So a person who has been here over 40 years (roots from Hoboken) should move? My husband's family has been in downtown JC since 1880 but in a typical arrogant fashion, someone I am guessing who is a newbie is suggesting I move. When I videotaped the debates for council last year, there was a number of candidates in other parts of the city who referred to downtown as the "beautiful people." They did not mean that in a generous way.

I never said you were a newbie, so nice try.

Anyways, you should do whatever you want. Regardless of what you do, Jersey City is changing (i.e. growing). You being a resident for over 40 years doesn't and can't change that. So you either live with the growth or you move. But either way, you're not stopping it.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
It's better news than the alternative which would be people fleeing Jersey City...

The new urbanism is the direction that the USA should be going in regardless. Sprawl is just not helpful to anyone that pays taxes.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 17:40
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Population Density: 15,793.74 people per sq. mile, according to zip codes. It too bad there is no available data on cars for 07302 because that data should include cars that leave the turnpike and travel through the streets to reach the Holland Tunnel as well as the waterfront.

Make no mistake about it, Jersey City is growing and will become denser for the forseeable future.

If you have a problem with this - either move or deal with it. But complaining about it on a message board and staying in Jersey City does nothing.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Population Density: 15,793.74 people per sq. mile, according to zip codes. It too bad there is no available data on cars for 07302 because that data should include cars that leave the turnpike and travel through the streets to reach the Holland Tunnel as well as the waterfront.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Actually, I did rent a parking space but it became a condo in the 1990s.

Wow, so rent another one. Things change Yvonne, deal with it.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, I did rent a parking space but it became a condo in the 1990s.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The entire river coast opposite Manhattan will be the population growth region of NJ - As Manhattan gentrifies the upper west side so will the population growth increase on our side.
I've already made a grab for land in that area for my retirement, but I feel demand will not wait for 25 years!

So you wnat to live among the masses in your ripe years.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 12:16
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The entire river coast opposite Manhattan will be the population growth region of NJ - As Manhattan gentrifies the upper west side so will the population growth increase on our side.
I've already made a grab for land in that area for my retirement, but I feel demand will not wait for 25 years!

Posted on: 2014/3/6 20:21
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe Jersey City should be the first to make Arcology a reality?

http://steampunkopera.wordpress.com/2 ... ology-city-in-a-building/

[img width=300]http://steampunkopera.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/a116.jpg?w=645&h=483[/img]

I remember these things being in an old version of Sim City.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
JC is approximately 14 square miles, Newark is approximately 24 or 25 square miles. So if we pass Newark, then there will be more crowded people on PATH trains and more people fighting for parking. So I forgot, what is the prize for being first?

You don't need to fight for parking - you can rent a parking spot.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 19:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
We get to read your endless rants, on how you predicted this all along, and nobody takes you seriously. I wonder why.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC is approximately 14 square miles, Newark is approximately 24 or 25 square miles. So if we pass Newark, then there will be more crowded people on PATH trains and more people fighting for parking. So I forgot, what is the prize for being first?

Posted on: 2014/3/6 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Newark Mayor's race: Jeffries blasts Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop over Newark comments

By David Giambusso/The Star-Ledger
March 05, 2014 at 5:48 PM

NEWARK ? Newark mayoral candidate Shavar Jeffries blasted his opponent South Ward Councilman Ras Baraka after Baraka supporter, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop, said his city will overtake Newark's population by 2016.

The Star-Ledger reported Tuesday that Fulop is claiming Jersey City will overtake Newark as the state's largest city in two years'. PolitckerNJ reported that Jeffries tore into Fulop Tuesday for the comments and demanded Baraka refuse his support.

Tuesday night Jeffries sent an email to supporters repeating the challenge.

"(Fulop) cited the 111 murders, almost half of which occurred in the South Ward, as evidence of Newark's downfall. Mayor Fulop wants Jersey City to prosper at Newark's expense," Jeffires said in a statement, demanding that Baraka refuse all political and financial support.

Fulop has promised to raise $200,000 for Baraka and help mobilize volunteers for the May 13, Newark election.

"Nothing short of a full denouncement of Fulop's political agenda at our expense is acceptable," Jeffries said.

Baraka fired back saying Jeffries was "hypocritical."

"A little while ago, (Jeffries) sought the support of Mayor Steve Fulop and Governor Codey. Today, he calls them political bosses. Everybody but Shavar Jeffries knows that Codey and Fulop are reformers who are leading the fight against the political bosses in our state," said Frank Baraff, a spokesman for Baraka.

"As the Star-Ledger has documented, by the time Mayor Baraka and Mayor Fulop leave office, Newark will still be the largest and greatest city in New Jersey," Baraff said. "And, that will be true for years beyond."

Fulop's office also hit back.

"Shavar is a smart guy who is saying desperate things," said Bob Sommer, senior advisor to Mayor Fulop. "Mayor Fulop's family has been in Newark for 40 years and they are still there every day. Of course we want both Newark and Jersey City to succeed, which is why the mayor has endorsed Ras."

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... y_mayor.html#incart_river

What a joke Newark politics is. Newark's poor voters, having to choose between those two clowns.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Newark Mayor's race: Jeffries blasts Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop over Newark comments

By David Giambusso/The Star-Ledger
March 05, 2014 at 5:48 PM

NEWARK ? Newark mayoral candidate Shavar Jeffries blasted his opponent South Ward Councilman Ras Baraka after Baraka supporter, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop, said his city will overtake Newark's population by 2016.

The Star-Ledger reported Tuesday that Fulop is claiming Jersey City will overtake Newark as the state's largest city in two years'. PolitckerNJ reported that Jeffries tore into Fulop Tuesday for the comments and demanded Baraka refuse his support.

Tuesday night Jeffries sent an email to supporters repeating the challenge.

"(Fulop) cited the 111 murders, almost half of which occurred in the South Ward, as evidence of Newark's downfall. Mayor Fulop wants Jersey City to prosper at Newark's expense," Jeffires said in a statement, demanding that Baraka refuse all political and financial support.

Fulop has promised to raise $200,000 for Baraka and help mobilize volunteers for the May 13, Newark election.

"Nothing short of a full denouncement of Fulop's political agenda at our expense is acceptable," Jeffries said.

Baraka fired back saying Jeffries was "hypocritical."

"A little while ago, (Jeffries) sought the support of Mayor Steve Fulop and Governor Codey. Today, he calls them political bosses. Everybody but Shavar Jeffries knows that Codey and Fulop are reformers who are leading the fight against the political bosses in our state," said Frank Baraff, a spokesman for Baraka.

"As the Star-Ledger has documented, by the time Mayor Baraka and Mayor Fulop leave office, Newark will still be the largest and greatest city in New Jersey," Baraff said. "And, that will be true for years beyond."

Fulop's office also hit back.

"Shavar is a smart guy who is saying desperate things," said Bob Sommer, senior advisor to Mayor Fulop. "Mayor Fulop's family has been in Newark for 40 years and they are still there every day. Of course we want both Newark and Jersey City to succeed, which is why the mayor has endorsed Ras."

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... y_mayor.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/3/6 3:39

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017