Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Sue Mack stepping down from BOE
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I have been to two recent board of education meetings. I have not seen Carol Lester there, but I have seen Lorenzo Richardson. Whether is the council seat or the board of ed seat, I truly believe people who attend meetings should be considered for the seat.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Last year, the board did select the next highest vote getter, Gerald Lyons, even though he ran against the prevailing ticket. That was after due consideration of all candidates. What surprises me is not that the supporters of Richardson are promoting his candidacy, that's fine. But that they are saying it is improper to even go through the process and vet multiple candidates.

A losing candidate has no right to automatically assume the seat after a vacancy. The law provides that the board selects the candidate. And in this case, as Dan points out, Carol Lester can equally make a claim that she should be the "Lucky Loser."

Posted on: 2014/3/3 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

amc wrote:

As a Jersey City resident and tax payer I personally feel this is unfair. A three member committee has been set up to pick a replacement to fill the seat. The person that should be selected should be someone that has campaigned and was on the ballot. Someone that has dedicated time attended meetings and has been vocal for the children of the JCPS. I support Lorenzo Richardson and I am asking for your support.

Except for the part about Richardson threatening and menacing board members at BOE meetings. I think that should disqualify him from consideration.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, by the logic that the appointment should fall to the next highest vote getter, yes, Carol Lester who earned an astonishing (to me) 6,500 votes while losing and was the next highest vote getter should be selected.

usually individuals who plan on running in the special election are chosen by the status quo like David Donnelly, Ray Velasquez, and Michelle Massey (who I believe was a very good choice.) since the school board is mostly comprised of one team, why wouldn't they select someone that they would like to work with and give that person a leg up on the election. however, in Carol Lester's case, I do not believe she plans on running again.

Quote:

Binky wrote:
It makes sense to choose someone who has had a good deal of public support.
How about someone who has been elected twice?
I'm thinking of Carol Lester. What do you say to that?

Posted on: 2014/3/3 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
It makes sense to choose someone who has had a good deal of public support.
How about someone who has been elected twice?
I'm thinking of Carol Lester. What do you say to that?

Posted on: 2014/3/3 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users

Good morning everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.

As you may have already heard current Jersey City School Board member Sue Mack has resigned from her position. The Jersey Journal article is here.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _down_after_18_years.html

Current JCPS board member Ellen Simon has sent out a mass email looking for candidates to fill the position. See below.

As a Jersey City resident and tax payer I personally feel this is unfair. A three member committee has been set up to pick a replacement to fill the seat. The person that should be selected should be someone that has campaigned and was on the ballot. Someone that has dedicated time attended meetings and has been vocal for the children of the JCPS. I support Lorenzo Richardson and I am asking for your support.

Article here

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... school_board_vacancy.html

Please sign the online petition. http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/appo ... source=c.fb&r_by=10109711

Board searches for a replacement
Suzanne Mack, the longest serving member of the Jersey City school board, is stepping down next month after nearly 20 years on the nine-member body. The Board is grateful to Ms. Mack for her service. A board committee comprised of Micheline Amy, Carol Harrison-Arnold and Ellen Simon is searching for an appointee to replace her. All interested applicants will be asked to fill in a questionnaire. Those interested should emailboesearch@gmail.com.

Thank You

Anna Christodoulakis

Posted on: 2014/3/3 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jockeying begins for Jersey City school board vacancy

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on February 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM

An online campaign has started to convince the Jersey City Board of Education to appoint onetime candidate Lorenzo Richardson to replace longtime member Sue Mack, who is stepping down next month.

Richardson came in fourth in November in the race to fill three three-year terms on the nine-member board. An accountant, Richardson is a vocal critic of the school district's administration, while the BOE is mostly comprised of district supporters.

The online petition calls Richardson "next in line" for the board's vacancy. He has already stated his intention to run in this November's school race.

Read more from the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/2/26 21:16

Sue Mack stepping down from BOE
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City school board member resigning after 18 years

By Terrence T. McDonald
The Jersey Journal

Sue Mack, the longest serving member of the Jersey City school board, is stepping down next month after nearly 20 years on the nine-member body.

Mack?s resignation comes after months of speculation that she would resign from the Board of Education, a development that seemed inevitable after she became Bayonne?s city planner last summer.

Mack's final day on the board will be March 21.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2014/2/24 16:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017