Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: new in town--which neighborhood safe for single female?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
As the opening post has already mentioned, East of 78 is where you want to be to feel the safest. Newport is certainly the most pristine area in terms of safety, but it is also the most bland.

I don't happen to live in those areas, but that is largely a byproduct of my desire to own a whole brownstone instead of just renting out a floor inside one.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 13:25
Dos A Cero

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/13 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking right now in downtown on a smaller budget than you, so you can definitely find one bedrooms less than $1800 downtown. Most likely Van Vorst or Hamilton Park rather than the waterfront. You just have to be willing to compromise on certain amenities/inclusive utilities.

Paulus Hook may be a possibility too but you have to get lucky and act fast. Someone scooped up a 1 bedroom for $1750 there before I could recently.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 21:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't been inside, my g/f inquired about the price and when she heard what it was she just hung up the phone.

Posted on: 2014/2/28 20:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/17 3:02
From JC waterfront
Group:
Registered Users
Newport is safe and on the Hudson and has many choices. We live here and there are 24/7 Security walking the grounds with security cameras, its a safe area that doesn't even require it. Here is the website for more info: http://www.newportnj.com/
Good Luck.

Posted on: 2014/2/28 3:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Hamilton Park in a small condo building with 8 units. One is going to be rented out in May, and it's a beautiful one bedroom. It's small, but it has w/d, dishwasher, a/c and beautiful fixtures -- new bathroom with one of those fancy multiple shower head showers. Kitchen is also new.

He's asking 1800. PM me if you want more info.

Posted on: 2014/2/28 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
$1800 will get you a one bedroom downtown, maybe even $1700. Over the past two years, rents have increased as have prices. Stick to Hamilton Park and forget Paulus Hook because I'd venture to guess there are no $1800 studios down there, let alone one bedroom. Van Vorst might be a possibility, but in terms of safety, Hamilton Park or North of Columbus, especially North of Newark Ave., is where you want to look.

I am hearing that there is a lot of demand. A one-bedroom place on 9th Street, right off the park, is asking $1950. No matter, $1800 should be enough but you'll have to work it hard and might be better off paying a fee to one of the real estate companies like Boyne or Armagno.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 23:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/13 18:52
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Bax, I sent you a PM. :)

Posted on: 2014/2/27 23:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/15 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
I'm positive that she can find a one bedroom apartment in downtown JC for less than $1800. Until a couple of years ago, I myself rented such apartment for $1300 a month (It was on Coles Street between 4th and 5th).

Yup, there are definitely apartments in DTJC that are in that price range. I looked at a few of them last year.

Baxtyre-- downtown is probably going to give you the best combination of safety and convenient location. The Heights is a nice alternative, but not as convenient. My suggestion is to walk around the neighborhood and look for signs, since most ads on craigslist or the like are from brokers charging high fees. Larger apartment buildings with management in place may be out of your range, but smaller places (say 2 or 3 units where the landlord lives on premises) are a real possibility.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm positive that she can find a one bedroom apartment in downtown JC for less than $1800. Until a couple of years ago, I myself rented such apartment for $1300 a month (It was on Coles Street between 4th and 5th).

Posted on: 2014/2/27 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Captain... yuppies keep pushing up the rents. Is it nice inside?

Posted on: 2014/2/27 14:19
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
I would stay in 07302 zip code. Particularly Paulus Hook, Van Vorst Park, or Hamilton Park.

Additionally there is a One Bedroom for rent by owner in Hamilton Park. If you are interested, PM me and I will walk by the apartment and send you the number when I pass by it today. I do not know anything about it accept it is really close to the actual park in Hamilton Park.

Joe

I can tell you that place is out of her price range. I believe they are asking $2200.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
I would stay in 07302 zip code. Particularly Paulus Hook, Van Vorst Park, or Hamilton Park.

Additionally there is a One Bedroom for rent by owner in Hamilton Park. If you are interested, PM me and I will walk by the apartment and send you the number when I pass by it today. I do not know anything about it accept it is really close to the actual park in Hamilton Park.

Joe

Posted on: 2014/2/27 12:35
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

baxtyre wrote:
hello! i'm just got a job in jersey city off the journal sq. stop, and i'm beginning to look at apartments in jersey city. i'm a single female in her late 20's, and i'm looking for a neighborhood that is above all safe (my definition would be feeling safe if i'm walking to my car that is parked a few blocks away, or taking a few minutes to lock my bike up after a late night at work) and also walkable to bars/restaurants.

the research i've been doing leads me to think east of 78, but because ideally i'm looking for a one bedroom for less than 1800$, west of the waterfront. seems to me like there are lots of little pockets even in this defined area, which is why i wanted to pose the question on JClist. i'm open to areas closer to the journal sq. stop, or lincoln park area, but don't really know anything about those places.

also wondering what are the best places to find apartments in the city? i'm currently perusing craigslist, zillow, and trulia.

any recommendations are appreciated! thanks everyone.

Do a search related to safe neighborhoods on this message board. This question has been posted many times before with very long threads that trail off in to trolls...but there's still some good information there.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 2356d939496b2a&dg=feature

Pick any place that you can avoid the clusters to and from work. The PATH train and buses are generally safe. The light rail tends to be a magnet for trouble particularly evenings, even downtown.

Lincoln Park is a hidden gem - but pretty quiet.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 7:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
For what you're asking them you would be right. Downtown ( everything east of RT 78) but it will be more money. You can find an apartment for that price but it will be harder to come by. If you would like something more affordable check the heights. Safe area but not many bars or restaurants of note.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 6:19

new in town--which neighborhood safe for single female?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/12/26 1:22
Group:
Registered Users
hello! i'm just got a job in jersey city off the journal sq. stop, and i'm beginning to look at apartments in jersey city. i'm a single female in her late 20's, and i'm looking for a neighborhood that is above all safe (my definition would be feeling safe if i'm walking to my car that is parked a few blocks away, or taking a few minutes to lock my bike up after a late night at work) and also walkable to bars/restaurants.

the research i've been doing leads me to think east of 78, but because ideally i'm looking for a one bedroom for less than 1800$, west of the waterfront. seems to me like there are lots of little pockets even in this defined area, which is why i wanted to pose the question on JClist. i'm open to areas closer to the journal sq. stop, or lincoln park area, but don't really know anything about those places.

also wondering what are the best places to find apartments in the city? i'm currently perusing craigslist, zillow, and trulia.

any recommendations are appreciated! thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 5:21

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017