Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: The Thirsty Quaker is coming to Downtown Jersey City!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Some Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Imperial Stout, Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout, and/or Three Floyds Zombie Dust please..

And then you woke up.....

Cigar City does not distribute in NJ

CBS was a one off

Three Floyds again, does not distribute outside of very small area of the midwest

Posted on: 2014/2/28 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Some Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Imperial Stout, Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout, and/or Three Floyds Zombie Dust please..

Posted on: 2014/2/28 20:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure of the current status of their distribution, but, if at all possible, you should definitely look into stocking anything made by Boulevard Brewery.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
Is there anyway to see your inventory online? I know you have the PDF but I also know that it can't be easy for you guys to update on a delivery-by-delivery basis.

This seems like something Twitter would be good for.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 22:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
We don't at the moment, but I'll look into it. We're focusing mostly on craft American beer but I'll see if there's anything available. It's difficult to source some of those Carribean and Central American beers.
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
I did see the old fog horn and the class of '88. I was just hoping to try something a little different, maybe something I hadn't had before.

We just now got a delivery of Arcadia's Cereal Killer and Telegraph Rhinoceros barleywines, if those are something new to you.

Cool. Get any other new stuff in today?

Is there anyway to see your inventory online? I know you have the PDF but I also know that it can't be easy for you guys to update on a delivery-by-delivery basis.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
TQ, I just want to say I'm excited to check the place out. The growler filling will be a big draw for me, and I'm sure many, many others. That might end up being a huge percentage of your business because nobody else offers that, and beerheads love growlers.

Just to confirm, you will not be selling pints of beer to be consumed in your shop, right? Just sampling, and growlers to go?

I've been to spots in Philly that are retail craft beer shops, but also serve beer in the shop, and they are wildly successful from what I have seen. Seems like an awesome way to foster the local beer community.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
We don't at the moment, but I'll look into it. We're focusing mostly on craft American beer but I'll see if there's anything available. It's difficult to source some of those Carribean and Central American beers.
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
I did see the old fog horn and the class of '88. I was just hoping to try something a little different, maybe something I hadn't had before.

We just now got a delivery of Arcadia's Cereal Killer and Telegraph Rhinoceros barleywines, if those are something new to you.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Do you carry any caribbean beer, I miss some of the beer I had on some of the islands I have been to.

http://pitonbeerstlucia.com/home.asp

Kubuli Beer from Dominica

http://www.antiguabrewery.com/

Posted on: 2014/2/27 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Ha, we'll have to see how the KBS goes, I'm sure we'd have a line out the door. Thanks for being understanding, everyone.
Quote:

tern wrote:
Do you have kettles for folks to come in and brew their own beer on premises?
That would be great.
There is a place called "The Brewers Apprentice" in Freehold that does this.

Robin.
Unfortunately we won't be doing any brew-on-premises. I think in order to do that we would have to get a brewery license. Maybe in the distant future we'll turn our garage into a brewery to do brew-on-premises, but we don't have any plans to do something like that now.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 14:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed, no need to appologize. I was simply talking about my first impressions and I did note that I knew that it was a first run of beers and that the selection would change. It certainly wasn't a dig at the place, I love it!

It was myself and not Moobs that ask for the barley wine/gose (I know, you probablay can't ask for beers of opposite end of the spectrum). I did see the old fog horn and the class of '88. I was just hoping to try something a little different, maybe something I hadn't had before.

I will certainly be stopping in again soon for brew supplies and beers and will be telling everyone I know in the neighborhood as well.

Can I be the first to request a spot on the list for KBS?

Posted on: 2014/2/27 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
I'm sorry to everyone that wasn't impressed with our selection, but I assure you we're trying our hardest to make this the best beer shop in JC.

No need to apologize, you already have a very good selection. It just so happens that JC has a couple of spots already that also have very good selections so it is really hard to stand out as something qualitatively different from that standpoint. Of course you have the brewing supplies which is unique and as you get to know your neighbors I have no doubt you'll keep getting better.

I was not at all disappointed by the selection and you'll certainly be my go to for beer because you are in a spot that was dying for a good store.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Do you have kettles for folks to come in and brew their own beer on premises?
That would be great.
There is a place called "The Brewers Apprentice" in Freehold that does this.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 4:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Damn, I regret not stopping by today! Thread is making me thirsty.

I confess I am not as brew literate as some on the thread, or as I'd like to be. Might you be having "curated mixed six packs" of interesting and educational beers?
I don't think we'll have curated six-packs, but we have had a few people ask about mix and match six-packs. With craft beer, it's a commitment to buy an entire pack that you're not familiar with, so we're thinking about setting aside a door in our fridge for mix and matches, so you can pick out a bit of this and a bit of that and find what really strikes your fancy. Hopefully if we do get around to this, it will help with finding great things you like.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Damn, I regret not stopping by today! Thread is making me thirsty.

I confess I am not as brew literate as some on the thread, or as I'd like to be. Might you be having "curated mixed six packs" of interesting and educational beers?

Posted on: 2014/2/27 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry to everyone that wasn't impressed with our selection, but I assure you we're trying our hardest to make this the best beer shop in JC. If you have any suggestions, please send us an email at contact@thirstyquaker.com or fill out our request form at the front desk. We're a brand new shop, so many distributors haven't been able to get us the extra rare stuff, but we have great relationships with a lot of breweries, and have been promised some great stuff in the future (Brooklyn Blast, Kentucky Breakfast Stout, and more!).

And once we start doing growlers, we'll have a lot of amazing things you definitely will not find in any other shop in JC, because lots of special edition beers simply are not bottled.

I know we said we have about 500 beers in stock, and it turns out you all are right that we were off, we only have 471 beers in stock (a few sold out today). We're getting new stuff in every day though, and tomorrow we'll have beer from Brunehaut, Atlantic Brewing, Arcadia, Southern Tier, Boxcar, Stevens Point, DC Brau, and Telegraph, as well as new spirits from New Holland, Ballast Point, Rogue, and Northern Maine Distilling.

Quote:

moobycow wrote:
For example, I went in last night hoping to pick up a Barley/Wheat wine or a gose but there were none to be found.

I'm really sorry you didn't find any barleywine, but we do have several in stock. Off the top of my head, I know we have Anchor Foghorn, Uinta Cockeyed Cooper, and the Class of '88 (A collaboration between North Coast, Rogue, and Deschutes).

If you ever have trouble finding something in the future, just ask someone, we love talking beer. And if you have a particular gose you're looking for, let us know and we'll see what we can do.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 3:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
they list ~400 beers on their website, seems like a decent selection?

Posted on: 2014/2/27 2:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped by there today.

I'm not sure what the above dudes are talking about but they have every beer in stock that they have listed on their site (and some that aren't even listed).

They have a few more obscure ones I haven't seen before.

They have a good liquor selection, wines and all kinds reading materials.

The best part is that if you are a home brewer this place is a gem. It's amazing. The time and effort they spent into setting up the back room is impressive.

They told me they plan on having classes when it warms out and growler service at some point.

They only negative is that I don't live closer. I wish them the best of luck.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 0:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I didn't seem like 500 beers to me. It was a similar sort of selection to Jersey, maybe a bit more. I didn't notice a lot of unique beer that I hadn't seen before.

More than good enough for my needs, but I didn't walk out thinking that it was something very different from most good liquor stores.

I'm not sure if they ever stated 500 beers but I agree with Moobs. I'm not sure what "Jersey" is but the selection was decent but nothing special/unique. In my opinion Buy Rite and Jersey Wine & Spirits have a better selection of more unique beers in my opinion. I'm hoping once the TQ gets more estabilshed they will be able to bring in those more specialty beers. Then again Buy Rite's buying power is extreme so they will tend to get a wider selection of more interesting beers.

For example, I went in last night hoping to pick up a Barley/Wheat wine or a gose but there were none to be found.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't seem like 500 beers to me. It was a similar sort of selection to Jersey, maybe a bit more. I didn't notice a lot of unique beer that I hadn't seen before.

More than good enough for my needs, but I didn't walk out thinking that it was something very different from most good liquor stores.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I thought they were going to have 500 beers? Was that not the case last night? Only asking because I would personally consider 500 beers a magnificent selection, not a decent selection.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Did anyone stop in yesterday? So pissed I had to work late last night, a cold beer would have done me good.

I made it. It's a nice little spot with a decent selection (I don't home brew so I can't comment on that). Nice group of people running it. There were three people there last night working, I would guess it's going to be less than that most nights.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Did anyone stop in yesterday? So pissed I had to work late last night, a cold beer would have done me good.

I stopped in last night. Cool little space. Nice and clean. Don't forget to make your way all the way to back for the best part. Their grain room. Awesome selection of specialty grains and brew supplies.

I'm hoping that once they establish good relations with the distributors they will be getting in more limited edition beers. That will really set this place off.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:
What's a girl gotta do to get into your soft opening?

Feel free to stop on in some time tomorrow, we'll be working a bit to get the place in order before Tuesday. We're friendly people and don't mind chatting.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:

heh

Posted on: 2014/2/21 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/21 4:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
It's mostly just used for force carbonating kegs and sometimes bottles. We'll look into the equipment necessary to do refills, a lot of people in the homebrewing community would love it.

I wish we'd mentioned this earlier, but if any of you are free this Sunday, come to the Hoboken Beer and Chili Contest. The Thirsty Quaker will be serving some great beer and chili and we would love to meet some of you. It's best to get tickets ahead of time.
http://www.hobokenvolunteers.com/

Posted on: 2014/2/21 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
We haven't set up our growler system yet, that's a plan for the near future, and once we do, we'll of course have gas for our draft lines, but we don't have any plans to store large numbers of tanks for sale or exchange.

It's my understanding that what the brew stores do is have a large CO2 tank with the bottom siphon to be able to fill the small tanks customers bring to them with liquid CO2. I have no idea what type of home brewing requires CO2, clearly lots doesn't.

See you next week!

Posted on: 2014/2/20 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
We haven't set up our growler system yet, that's a plan for the near future, and once we do, we'll of course have gas for our draft lines, but we don't have any plans to store large numbers of tanks for sale or exchange.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Great news!

BTW, I was researching alternatives for Sodastream CO2, and several sources said brewing suppliers can refill small CO2 tanks like those used for paintball. Is CO2 part of your brewing supplies?
Unfortunately, we won't be doing gas, as we don't have the equipment or space, and insurance for that is a whole different ballgame.

Hoboken Beer and Soda does CO2 tank exchanges, and I know Staples (and I think Sears as well) do SodaStream tank exchange as well. If you do want refills instead of exchanges, there are some gas companies in the industrial part of Ironbound that refill.

Oh well. How do you have taps and not gas?

Yeah, I've been doing the Sodastream tank exchanges at BB&B, but even with a coupon it's way pricier than CO2 should really cost. I'll check out the option at Hoboken B&S, shlepping to Newark would only make sense for a 5 or 20 lb tank and refilling small tanks from that. Too bad we don't have a paintball store, supposedly they refill the 12 oz tanks for a couple of bucks instead of the $15 Sodastream.

I've heard some new fridge designs will have built in seltzer! Heaven...

Posted on: 2014/2/20 19:24

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017