Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Jersey City out of road salt?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop is doing the same, just in downtown though. Was driving on Washington the JCIA and PD were moving around a bunch of dump trucks and a heavy loader . I think they were dumping snow at the end of 6th st.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The late mayor Tommy Smith was proactive in removing snow. He worked the plows with Public Works and the Incinerator Authority (what it was called then) with a group of volunteers. He told citizens to place the snow on the corners on a particular day and the city would remove it. Smith was the last mayor we had that was that proactive in removing snow.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The late mayor Tommy Smith was proactive in removing snow. He worked the plows with Public Works and the Incinerator Authority (what it was called then) with a group of volunteers. He told citizens to place the snow on the corners on a particular day and the city would remove it. Smith was the last mayor we had that was that proactive in removing snow.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
We walked from the ferry terminal from Battery Park City to Chinatown yesterday morning, and along the way, must have seen at least 3 crews wearing SDNY uniform (I assume stands for Sanitation Dept of NY) manually clearing snow - with ice picks and shovel (pushing it out onto the street), and big trucks removing snow in a similar manner.

I haven't seen anything similar in JC yet.

Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
I just drove in from Manhattan and there is NO ICE on any of the roads there. Then when I drive through the tunnel...it's like a third world country driving around here. Why doesn't the city just ask NYC to borrow some salt and we'll pay them back when the shipment arrives?

Posted on: 2014/2/16 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Why doesn't the city just ask NYC to borrow some salt and we'll pay them back when the shipment arrives?

That is so Lucy and Ethel!

On a happier note, I did not place in the Men's Disfigure Skating event that is happening all over downtown and probably everywhere else.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
From Fulop's Facebook:

We are asking residents to Please not drive unless it is essential.

As reported the city has experienced the same situation as virtually every north jersey city in exhausting our salt supply. This has made roads difficult and icy so we are advising use of caution

While we planned for the worst winter we could have imagined nobody would have thought the shortage of salt supply in the region and the amount of snow. We try to balance supply and costs in a fair way. In addition, to put in perspective, we ordered additional salt 2 weeks ago and while it normally takes 2-3 days, the regional shortage has delayed that and we have been told the next shipment is finally coming.

Today, the city is using sand, brine, and has started to clear the corners.

Granted we can and will look to improve performance but I want to make sure residents are aware of the information.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 17:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
I just drove in from Manhattan and there is NO ICE on any of the roads there. Then when I drive through the tunnel...it's like a third world country driving around here. Why doesn't the city just ask NYC to borrow some salt and we'll pay them back when the shipment arrives?

Posted on: 2014/2/16 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is plenty of salt on Grand street in Chinatown at $5.00 a bag. I been using salt and kitty litter and it works wonders.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
I just sanded my walks. The snow last night turned into a sheet of ice. I don't have any salt, so hopefully the sand will keep people from falling on their ass.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
So I heard sand was mentioned as an alternative. This is a well-proven alternative in many other parts of the world. When the temperature drops, sand, especially coarser grain, will provide traction when salt does nothing. I see some homeowners downtown already spread some on their sidewalks. However, if used in major quantities, the city will really have to work the street sweepers when snow and ice clears to prevent skidding hazards.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
It's a sheet of ice out there. Be careful.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, I already mentioned in my edit that the inability to wait for another ship is rather pathetic.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Or, we could just wait for another ship.

Or you could wait for spring. Neither of which is much help to those of us who really like to avoid a slip and fall lawsuit, but have no salt. Nor does it help those who's commute is made hellish due to icy roads.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Or, we could just wait for another ship?

http://nj1015.com/us-law-blocks-aid-as-road-salt-runs-out-in-nj/

Ok, it seems we don't have big enough ships to do the haul in time which I find pathetic but it is what it is. It's also stated that the AMP have already filed an appeal for the exemption and are confident it will be considered.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I still don't get why you think the Senators can help. Do we need special legislation to clean up the parking areas? Sewer drains?

Senators have the power to lobby the administration for a waiver of the Jones Act (this was done after Katrina). They also, with the house, have the power to repeal the Jones Act in part or in whole.

JC has contracts to deliver more salt. The problem is, the supplier has run out and / or cannot transport the salt to where it is needed because the shortage of available shipping. The US Merchant Marine is small (2% of the world tonnage) and expensive to operate.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Would it have been nice of Obama to grant special permission? Sure. It's hardly his fault that we are having the problems we are having today. Where is the cleanup that is much needed? These are local government issues and as much as you think Fulop is a nice guy, he's certainly been lacking on more immediate issues, and it's not the lack of road salt.

I still don't get why you think the Senators can help. Do we need special legislation to clean up the parking areas? Sewer drains?

Presumably, the Senators would intercede with the relevant trade agency (Commerce Department?) that enforces the portage restrictions (which are absurdly outdated anyway, but that's a separate discussion). Although my understanding is that that ship quite literally has sailed, so at this point it shouldn't matter whether the ship bringing salt from Maine is domestic or foreign.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
This is neither Democrat, Republican, Healy or Fulop support or bashing. It amazes me how people cry for lowering taxes, preventing waste in government, etc etc. And then turn around and immediately scream, when government isn't prepared for the WORST case scenario. Cities and towns all over the country are low or running out of road salt. The companies that deliver it just don't have any more to distribute, or it's been spoken for. I'm sure if Fulop offered an outlandish premium for the product it could be found somewhere, but then those same people would bitch that he spent way to much for it. These people are plain old hypocrites.
I voted for Fulop, and now I'm beginning to get wary of him, especially over the ambulance issue. But to pick on him over road salt when it's an issue every municipality is dealing with, sorry, it just doesn't hold any water.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Would it have been nice of Obama to grant special permission? Sure. It's hardly his fault that we are having the problems we are having today. Where is the cleanup that is much needed? These are local government issues and as much as you think Fulop is a nice guy, he's certainly been lacking on more immediate issues, and it's not the lack of road salt.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Where are our NJ Senators on this? Hello, Booker and Menendez? Shouldn't they be interceding on behalf of their NJ constituents? Aren't our Senators supposed to be doing exactly that?

Since you seem to have given up complaining about the mayor (D) so the next step are US Senators (both D)? Isn't the state run by a governor (R)? Senators are too busy bickering with other Senators just like with any legislative body. The mayors, the governors, seem to be the more more appropriate targets when it comes to local govt decisions.

But of course, it's all Obama's fault... again (D).

Obama's administration was asked to make an exemption to allow the salt to be carried from one US port to another by a foreign carrier. Obama's administration refused, leaving JC without salt. Considering that Obama had Fulop for lunch a month or so ago, and that both Obama and our Senators are Democrats, you'd think they'd get it worked out.

And, btw, I haven't really spent a lot of time ragging on Fulop, in fact I've shaken his hand and he's a pleasant guy. I think blaming Fulop on the lack of salt is silly, actually.

Well a handshake and a smile get's your vote. Actually it is not silly to blame Fulop. Being Councilman for 8 years, and Mayor for 6 months gave him enough time to get the salt contract in order for his administration. Let's see what next season brings. He could redeem himself when the potholes surface. And remember J.C. is a huge city so S.F. the mayor should have had his ducks in order. We will probably have to payout many $$$ in liability claims.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 13:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Where are our NJ Senators on this? Hello, Booker and Menendez? Shouldn't they be interceding on behalf of their NJ constituents? Aren't our Senators supposed to be doing exactly that?

Since you seem to have given up complaining about the mayor (D) so the next step are US Senators (both D)? Isn't the state run by a governor (R)? Senators are too busy bickering with other Senators just like with any legislative body. The mayors, the governors, seem to be the more more appropriate targets when it comes to local govt decisions.

Obama's administration was asked to make an exemption to allow the salt to be carried from one US port to another by a foreign carrier. Obama's administration refused, leaving JC without salt. Considering that Obama had Fulop for lunch a month or so ago, and that both Obama and our Senators are Democrats, you'd think they'd get it worked out.

And, btw, I haven't really spent a lot of time ragging on Fulop, in fact I've shaken his hand and he's a pleasant guy. I think blaming Fulop on the lack of salt is silly, actually.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/16 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Amen

Posted on: 2014/2/16 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Salt or no salt the city should be doing a better job of clearing corners and sewer drains.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Wasn't Fulop supposed to be the smart, elite manager? I know if Healy was still mayor people would be furious at him for this. Any blame for Fulop?

There are certain websites that are crucifying him. Mostly these are the Healyites & others whose expectations were ridiculously high. Isn't that always the way?

That is politics in general but it is not a "ridiculously high" expectation for a mayor running a city not to run out of snow. Nor will only "Healyites" get upset about this.

Just about every town ran out of salt, you can't stockpile for the worst case scenario and you can't help if it extra salt can't be delivered when you order it.

People simultaneously want government to be completely prepared for all eventualities and to not waste any money. Both can't happen.

Fulop has been more than a little disappointing, but not having enough salt on hand for the worst winter in 20 years isn't high on my list of things he got wrong.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/16 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Obama administration denied a request for emergency assistance. I wonder how many accidents and injuries would be saved if he'd allowed the salt to be shipped from Maine?

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/02/14/ ... nowpacalypsed-new-jersey/

Posted on: 2014/2/16 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
He's not run out of snow, that's for sure.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Wasn't Fulop supposed to be the smart, elite manager? I know if Healy was still mayor people would be furious at him for this. Any blame for Fulop?

There are certain websites that are crucifying him. Mostly these are the Healyites & others whose expectations were ridiculously high. Isn't that always the way?

That is politics in general but it is not a "ridiculously high" expectation for a mayor running a city not to run out of snow. Nor will only "Healyites" get upset about this.

Posted on: 2014/2/15 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/15 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

To fair to Fulop and Co... (via what I read on the article linked)

Cargill hasn't been able to fulfill its contract to deliver salt. Its not that JC didn't buy enough... the supplier just can't deliver.

Right now, the only state in the Union that doesn't have snow is Florida (yes.. it snows in Hawaii). This winter blows the Mount Pinatubo induced global cooling winters of the early to mid 90's out of the water. During this period back in the early 90's, you couldn't find a bag of salt or calcium chloride even if you were willing to pay for it in its weight in gold.

Posted on: 2014/2/15 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I blame Fulop and the city leaders. As a citizen I have no problem pitching in like shoveling out fire-hydrants, sewers etc. and I have done that this week. In the end though this snow is piled up way too high and is blocking drains that would help relieve the massive flooding that makes navigating the streets and sidewalks nearly impossible.

Posted on: 2014/2/15 23:12

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017