Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Wall St. Journal story today on Fulop JC Rebrand attempt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Look at what the revilatization has done for Brooklyn, for example. I was at Barclays for a Nets game and you can see how much pride people have in BK now- that my parents never had despite growing up there. Their entire generation fled to the burbs and now their kids are coming back.

JC is and should be a part of that.

The infrastructure commentary is a joke. The newcomers don't have kids. The district will be saving money.

The PATH is overcrowded? Compared to what major city anywhere in the world? Is that serious?

The fact of the matter is that the PATH is OUTSIDE of city control. Does NYC say stop building in Greenpoint because the G sucks?

The tax situation is baloney. Everywhere in NY and NJ pensions obligations are overdue and taxes are high- and that's because of the spending in the days that certain posters here pine for.

Certain people don't want change because they don't like that the newcomers are mostly white or Asian, sometimes gay or single and opposed to having a family, and nearly universally wealthy. That's the gripe. End of story. The "overdevelopment" is simply a pretext.

If you don't like development, funny thing is NJ has the Pine Barrens...for the price of 1 BR JC condo you could have a 4BR home. And be among the demographic you prefer.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
"not just showing off" is valid criticism? I read it as petulant gibberish.

Petulance and gibberish? Are you sure those are the best words?

Whether the mayor ?shows off? or not doesn?t mean he can?t also do fine work in his capacity as our mayor, but one would have to be rather naive to miss the showboating and resume-building exercises whose greatest effect will be to further his career in politics. I?m simply disappointed that instead of addressing the criticism directly, the mayor?s office position was basically, ?What about me? What about YOU?!?

Posted on: 2014/2/7 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Like I said - sounds like the newer people aren't your kind of folk. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of your points about the sewers? Did these Dickensian hordes of which you speak not produce waste? Or did Gabriel descend during the night and scoop it into bags and fly away with it?

Yvonne was making the point that, yes, the demographics have changed dramatically in Jersey City. I've only been here 6 years, so how it is now is how I know JC to be, but I think you are reading way too much condemnation into her words. JC historically was a (take your pick) melting pot/mosaic, and still is.

But I would have made her point differently - the infrastructure needs of the earlier JC community are much different than they are now, and that is where the 're-brand' will be worthless if those issues are not addressed. JC is no longer a city of large, working class families living in ethnically homogeneous neighborhoods, where work, school, and family were in close proximity.

Today, JC is more diverse, which is to be celebrated, and we all can enjoy it's scale and institutions that earlier generations left us. BUT, we have to acknowledge we now have big city infrastructure and social service needs, which as the debacle with PATH and the need to revisit past, patronage driven development practices show, is not being met.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
'Brand' new day for Jersey City? Mayor offering $1.2M for firm to market city

"...The mayor should be concentrating on inner-city businesses districts, not just showing off,? Yun told The Jersey Journal.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill responded by saying the branding effort ?is for the entire city.?

"This campaign will increase investment in the inner city and is all about helping the businesses already here,? Morrill said. ?While we know the councilman owns real estate in the Special Improvement Districts where he wants the money, it is important these resources are spent citywide so everyone benefits."

Gee, that wasn't a conspicuously defensive response at all. There are better ways to respond to valid criticism.

While I enjoyed the "Everything Jersey City" street fair, I think Morrill is spot on. The CASID is a completely short-sighted organization; their quality of life 'campaigns' a soapbox for the needs of a few business owners on Central Avenue - replacing the Muni-meters with the old pay meters, and their big achievement - contributing to getting the #119 bus to replace the Coach 99S, never mind that the 99S ran 24/7, while the 119 only runs during weekday rush hours. UMEZ funded trash pick-up? How about getting the building owners to shovel their d@mn sidewalks, as the law requires.

If it is left to Michael Yun, the "inner city" will stay the inner city in the Heights. I don't think that's Fulop's vision, and I am behind him 100%.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
"not just showing off" is valid criticism? I read it as petulant gibberish.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
'Brand' new day for Jersey City? Mayor offering $1.2M for firm to market city

...Fulop?s plan to use UEZ dollars to fund the marketing campaign rankles some members of the City Council and the business community. Ward D City Councilman Michael Yun said he?s not opposed to promoting Jersey City, but Yun said the UEZ funds should remain available to the city?s five Special Improvement Districts. Yun noted that the Journal Square SID cited a lack of funds for its decision not to hang Christmas lights last year, and the Everything Jersey City Festival, a 10-block fair held for five years in the Heights, was canceled last year. The Central Avenue SID, formerly headed by Yun, said it couldn?t afford the fair once UEZ money dried up at the local level.

?The mayor should be concentrating on inner-city businesses districts, not just showing off,? Yun told The Jersey Journal.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill responded by saying the branding effort ?is for the entire city.?

"This campaign will increase investment in the inner city and is all about helping the businesses already here,? Morrill said. ?While we know the councilman owns real estate in the Special Improvement Districts where he wants the money, it is important these resources are spent citywide so everyone benefits."

Gee, that wasn't a conspicuously defensive response at all. There are better ways to respond to valid criticism.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I live by SPU and catch the 80 bus to work down at Exchange Place. Its takes 45 mins on average and up to an hour or more once i get ON the bus at around 8:30-8:45. Its a huge problem.

And I hope no one falls for this little "contest" which is essentially seeking free professional creative work. Isn't that what you're paying a branding agency $1.2 million for, Mayor?

"Residents interested in creating a logo and tagline for the city?s contest must submit them by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 21."

Posted on: 2014/2/6 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
He should spend that money lobbying Booker and Christie to solve our little Port Authority problem. That, or pay a couple of guys with bats to pay a visit to the PA.

Quote:

Here is Candice Osborne Quote

"a big inconvenience." Osborne said shutting down service between Exchange Place and the World Trade Center will give residents who live near Exchange Place very few options to cross the river.

She?s also concerned about the hurdles it sets up for New York residents heading into Jersey City. City officials are trying to market Jersey City as a cheaper alternative to Manhattan and Brooklyn, but that will be more difficult now, Osborne said.

?If it?s a total nightmare to get to Jersey City on the weekend if you're looking for a home, it?s not leaving a good taste in your mouth,? she said.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
He should spend that money lobbying Booker and Christie to solve our little Port Authority problem. That, or pay a couple of guys with bats to pay a visit to the PA.

Quote:

Posted on: 2014/2/6 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/6 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I truly feel sorry for you, JSleeze, you are one of those people, who throw dirt when they cannot get their point across. After reading your rant, I do feel lucky to be married to my husband for over 40 years. He understands how to get his point across without acting silly.

Proof that you're never too old to get into arguments on JClist....

Posted on: 2014/2/2 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/2/1 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I will because you definitely need prayers.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
You are right, Yvonne. I'm sure my big words confused you. Say a prayer for me because certainly you know best. Just a hunch, but is your husband hard of hearing?

Posted on: 2014/2/1 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I truly feel sorry for you, JSleeze, you are one of those people, who throw dirt when they cannot get their point across. After reading your rant, I do feel lucky to be married to my husband for over 40 years. He understands how to get his point across without acting silly.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Like I said - sounds like the newer people aren't your kind of folk. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of your points about the sewers? Did these Dickensian hordes of which you speak not produce waste? Or did Gabriel descend during the night and scoop it into bags and fly away with it?

Posted on: 2014/2/1 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hope your parents did not name you JSleeze. Anyway, I have answered this already. People in the past had large families between 6 to 12 children were not uncommon. Today we have few or no children in a household so the number of households has increased. As these children grew many left JC. So yes, we had more children but not more households. By the way, have you seen classrooms of children from the past? I spoke to a nun many years ago and she told me she had 70 students in her classroom and not a sound was made. Also JC was a factory town, people took the bus, trolley, or walked to work. Few took the Hudson Tubes to NY, now called the PATH.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I do not agree, we are past the point for development. The new high rises in Journal Square will only lead to more congestion for PATH riders downtown. The sewers, streets, and PATH are at the saturation point already. My neighbor, who travels to NY by car due to her disability, told me the trip was faster on the Manhattan side than the Jersey side. It was bumper to bumper traffic from the Holland Tunnel to Van Vorst Park. I think people live in a dream world where more development leads to a better quality of life. It doesn?t, it leads to congestion and not enough parking spaces.

Really? Here is a table of the Jersey City census since 1900, courtesy of Wikipedia. Looks like we used to have 60,000 more people - you know, back in the good old days. Maybe, Yvonne, the problem is that the new people just aren't your kind of people.

1900 206,433 26.6%
1910 267,779 29.7%
1920 298,103 11.3%
1930 316,715 6.2%
1940 301,173 ?4.9%
1950 299,017 ?0.7%
1960 276,101 ?7.7%
1970 260,350 ?5.7%
1980 223,532 ?14.1%
1990 228,537 2.2%
2000 240,055 5.0%
2010 247,597 3.1%
Est. 2012 254,441 [15][54] 2.8%

Posted on: 2014/2/1 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
stc:

Residents interested in creating a logo and tagline for the city?s contest must submit them by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 21. They should be mailed (hard copies) or hand-delivered in a sealed envelope to Florence Baron, Jersey City Economic Development Corp., 30 Montgomery St., Suite 1400, Jersey City, NJ 07302.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 1:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
The girl in charge of approving murals had no experience. She dated the chief and got a patronage job.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop's newsletter talks about a contest where people submit ideas for logos and tag lines and such. Does anyone know anything about this? There's nothing at the JCEDC site on that, at least not that I've found.

Quote:
I recently announced that the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation (JCEDC) is soliciting proposals from individuals and firms interested in assisting the JCEDC on a branding and marketing campaign of up to $1.2 million dollars. The goal is to position Jersey City as the best mid-size city in America. Half of the $1.2 million will be paid for through private partnerships. In addition to the Request For Proposal (RFP), the JCEDC is also asking residents to submit logo designs and tag lines as part of the branding contest. This campaign will help us refocus the image of Jersey City to the rest of the region, the nation and the world, expanding on how we are growing, providing opportunities for new young families and long-time residents. This campaign will highlight the diversity of our neighborhoods and underscore the attractions of our great city, showcasing everything that Jersey City has to offer. The complete RFP can be found at http://www.jcedc.org.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was never against the lite rail. I just left the caucus, Boggiano asked the question on the budget. The city is asking more money again for temporary appropriations. This will mean the city wants 35% for the first month of the budget, leaving 65% for the remainder of the year which is eleven months. The priority is managing the city's finances, not rebranding a city that cannot pay its bills.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
+1000 Mayor Wilhelm will be our best PR man.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
I think that as far as making JC a desirable location for people to live in, DeBlasio will do tons more than Fulop ever could.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
I think that as far as making JC a desirable location for people to live in, DeBlasio will do tons more than Fulop ever could.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JPhurst wrote:
The funny thing is, some people who claim that the PATH is overcrowded and at capacity are the same people who were claiming that the light rail was a waste because nobody rides it!

This is a weird argument. Do you think that the light rail makes PATH less crowded? How does it work? Do you think that some people who used to ride PATH before now take the light rail? Where do they go?

Quote:
JPhurst wrote:
When you figure out whether you want to compare this city to Bombay or Detroit, come back.

Trust me, nobody who lives here wants to compare Jersey City to Detroit.
Why do they do it if they do not want to? - you are going to ask me next...
Well...

Posted on: 2014/1/28 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only people who are doing well in JC are the developers who received their tax abatements. But the quality of life for the average citizen has diminished. They are spending more time in traffic or circling blocks to find an empty parking space. The parks are over used. Have you seen Van Vorst Park lately? The schools are crowded. You really don't want me to start talking about the PATH, do you? JC is 14.7 square miles while Newark is 24.1 square miles. If we have more people than Newark, then we will be called the Bombay City on the East Coast. We have reached the saturation point a long time ago.

I have "only" been here about 15 years. So I cannot wax nostalgic about the times when one had to pay protection money to prevent one's car from being vandalized while shopping for groceries.

But in the time I have been here, things have improved, under both Mayors whose policies I've supported and opposed.

1. Monmouth Street, where I once lived, used to have a regular presence of drug dealers. There was a group of junkies who shot up behind the Pathmark. That is no longer the case.

2. Yes, I have seen Van Vorst Park. I remember when it was a desolate park with mud paths. Now it is a well maintained and well used park. I like that people go there. I like that families play there. I like that people run their dogs there. I like that there are farmers markets and festivals there. That's not overuse. That's what a park is supposed to be.

3. Talk about the PATH if you want. It is a relatively reliable 24/7 transportation system. Very few places have that. It's crowded at rush hour, but so is every line on the New York City subway. We also have a light rail that connects points in the city that wasn't here when I first moved here. The funny thing is, some people who claim that the PATH is overcrowded and at capacity are the same people who were claiming that the light rail was a waste because nobody rides it!

4. Some of the schools are crowded. Part of that, especially downtown, is because people actually WANT to send their kids to the schools. Perhaps you like the phenomenon of people moving to the suburbs as soon as their kids reach school age. I like the fact that they are in demand. Yes, we will need more schools, in particular a new high school, although the need for capacity there cannot be primarily attributed to downtown growth, at least not yet.

When you figure out whether you want to compare this city to Bombay or Detroit, come back.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How is your water and tax bills, va2015? Jersey City is worth less today on paper than in was in 1988. It is the reason Fulop cancelled the revaluation. He didn?t want to face angry homeowners with $20,000 plus tax bills while he is promoting the city. So live in your happy world until the courts force the revaluation and you will see million dollar homes in bankruptcy.

I rent and pay for neither of those things. The issues that may be #1, 2, or 3 in terms of affecting your quality of life might be non-issues for others. I also don't have kids so the failing schools aren't as much on my radar. I'm not saying JC is perfect just that not all of us are so disgusted with the quality of life here. Urban living in a transitional time is not for everyone.

I'm not sure what you mean about JC being "worth less on paper" now - do you mean how balanced the city budget is? I've been following the cost of downtown real estate for the last 3 years and after a long plateau prices look like they are rising, especially for the more "desirable" or marketable luxury condos.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only people who are doing well in JC are the developers who received their tax abatements.

My understanding is that you did pretty well when you sold your property near Van Vorst Park.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I would appreciate seeing stats for the Heights, as based on my experience over the last 6 years it is not "growing" in any meaningful, obvious way.

I am in the Heights. In a three block radius about 1/2 dozen homes have been built (old buildings were torn down), 2 others are under construction, 1 new multi-unit apartment building (new construction), and the old laundry building is being converted to market rate apartments.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
How do I get information comparing "growth" for different areas of JC? I would appreciate seeing stats for the Heights, as based on my experience over the last 6 years it is not "growing" in any meaningful, obvious way.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 20:23

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017