Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: Future of Newport Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:

Whole Foods and Fairway markets in Paramus are in malls. In Princeton Wegman's is in a huge mall.[/quote]

How would shopping carts work with the multi-level parking garage at Newport?

Posted on: 2014/1/30 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a supermarket inside a regional mall? Curious, because I haven't and wonder why.

Someone pointed out that Sears is on death row. JCP might not be far behind. With all the parking, why not a TJ and/or a WF?

Whole Foods and Fairway markets in Paramus are in malls. In Princeton Wegman's is in a huge mall.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Has anyone ever seen a supermarket inside a regional mall? Curious, because I haven't and wonder why.

Someone pointed out that Sears is on death row. JCP might not be far behind. With all the parking, why not a TJ and/or a WF?

Posted on: 2014/1/30 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
I heard that an Apple Store, Tiffany & Co, Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom were opening stores at the Newport Mall !!!!!!!

You forgot to mention the Nobu express in the food court.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
I heard that an Apple Store, Tiffany & Co, Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom were opening stores at the Newport Mall !!!!!!!

Posted on: 2014/1/30 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Jesus Christ. I've been hearing about how bad the mall is for so many years it is making me sick.
The mall has been doing just fine over the 15 years I've been living in Hamilton Park and it just keeps getting better. That fact that some people can't see that just speaks to how they only see things through the prism of their own particular demographic.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 2:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
One of the reasons i shop at Target instead at Newport is the convenient free parking. Due to the high rental rates there has been much turn over on retail spaces in the Mall. Many of these businesses will survive for a few years and they are gone. Like most Malls across America it will face hard times if the economy does not pick up soon .

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
It was mentioned that there were plans to transition the parking garage into retail on the ground level... any validity to that?

The mall needs a few better stores to improve the shopping exprience and more inviting from the street level to become more of a destination (vs. just a mall hidden between Newport and Hamilton Park).

Posted on: 2014/1/28 13:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
They don't know how to promote the Newport Mall. They need to add more service to Path Train on weekends and post some ads by WTC in NYC and we would get some NYC tourist to come over. Century21 type of stores combined with no tax on clothing and shoes will help attract tourists to shop here. We also have the low 3.5% tax on electronics which is another selling point.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder what will take the place of Sears once it finally goes belly up?

Posted on: 2014/1/27 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Panera Bread is coming to Newport Mall.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
internet / online shopping, I believe has and will continue to reduce high end luxury items be sold in stores; I'm doing most of my non-perishable shopping online and have bought brand items cheaper from the west coast or even Europe (including shipping) then in local stores. Also mall overheads for retailers is to great to generate profitable incomes / margins.

The best example is my mom's mercedes; we get all her parts for service from South America and Europe and only look for labor to do the installing.

I believe the mall is only popular for low end, cheaper products that are cost effective / convenient then going online.

There surely must be a marketing person out there that can let us know what online shopping is doing to malls and store retail sales in general

Posted on: 2013/9/17 23:25
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Newport Centre welcoming new stores, several renovations, expansions

By The Jersey Journal
on September 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM,
updated September 13, 2013 at 3:05 AM

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ntre_welcoming_new_s.html

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
People come to the mall from NYC.

The mall can (and is) increasingly supporting more luxury stores.

Malls may be dying elsewhere. All malls in NJ, including Newport, are packed on the weekends.

I agree with the poster who said the convenience is huge for DTJC.

And there are a lot of great things in the mall. I shop there all the time.

It is ironic to me that we have a thread saying cars should have to pay $100 to park on the street, yet bemoaning a mall in walking distance. So basically push useful things out of the city so you need a car that will cost an arm and a leg to get to...

Posted on: 2013/9/17 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34/34017.html

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34/3436000.html

according to this the county and the city have a poverty rate of about 15%.

Poverty in N.J. reaches 52-year high, new report shows

Well those numbers are not as recent as these.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34/34017.html

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34/3436000.html

according to this the county and the city have a poverty rate of about 15%.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Jersey City, Hoboken, Bayonne and the surrounding environs can't support the type of sales that high end luxury brands need to have a store in a mall like Newport.

Absolutely, for the Mall to be a success I'd even go as far to say WALMART needs to be attracted to the location.

HP, VVP and waterfront residents are not the true demographic and socioeconomic make-up of JC and surrounding areas.

Agreed, most people dtjc don't understand poverty is real, and Hudson county has a whopping 35.9% poverty rate... but yet people think we are getting Neiman Marcus and Wholefoods wow

Posted on: 2013/9/8 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

The mall was specifically designed to cut off Newport from the rest of JC, it is hard argue that is part of the street scape as it's purpose was to interrupt foot traffic and act as a barrier.

Let's be honest - its not like Newport is anything amazing. It's 100% geared to the folks that live there and daily works... there is really no reason to frequent Newport on the weekends or late nights. Newport's loss - and I am fine with that. When was the last time you heard anyone say, 'have you tried that great place in Newport?'

We could also accept that the mall is part of our land scape and makes our city better - which I believe it does. In terms of land use, the area from Target to BJ's is well used - provides retail that is extremely convenient to public transit and walkable for downtown JC residents. Keep in mind these are all things (Target, the Mall, BJ's, etc.) that you would otherwise have to hop in a car to get to... JC actually offers a little slice of suburbia without being suburban - without needing a car... I think it's great and real attraction for our community.

I will caveat the above by saying that I do think the space could be more 'efficiently' used... some of the parking is a bit out of control... but it may be needed at some point.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Jersey City, Hoboken, Bayonne and the surrounding environs can't support the type of sales that high end luxury brands need to have a store in a mall like Newport.

Absolutely, for the Mall to be a success I'd even go as far to say WALMART needs to be attracted to the location.

HP, VVP and waterfront residents are not the true demographic and socioeconomic make-up of JC and surrounding areas.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 2:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thats because Newport isn't "cool". The GSP is a friggin meat market. Maybe its just the parents of this area can't give their kids money to shop at ours.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The Short Hills mall is the third highest grossing mall in the USA-I'd say the Newport Center mall isn't in the top 10 in NJ. Someone mentioned Tiffany-they average $3,000/sq ft per year in their stores, second only to Apple. A decent mall will average $500 sq/ft, more or less. Overall, the SH mall brings in close to $1,100 sq/ft. And with that huge ratable, Millburn/Short Hills still has the highest township tax in the state!

Posted on: 2013/9/7 2:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I know a little about commercial retail space. Each mall has a different tier or "class." Garden state plaza mall ("top class")is on a different tier than Newport Mall. For instance, a Tiffany & Co. is opening in GSP. There is also another "top class" mall in Bergen Co. called "Riverside Square." A more likely comparison to Newport mall would be other Bergen County Malls like Paramas Park Mall, Fashion Center. Or in Morris County: Rockaway Town Square (Simon) or in Monmoith County: Monmouth Mall (Vornado)
The class is often determined by the anchor stores (is Kohls vs Neiman Marcus; JC Penney vs. Nordstrom; Sears vs Saks 5th Avenue)
Bergen town center is converted to an outlet mall, Outlets at Bergen Town Center. Outlets are a new retail trend along with the open air spaces.

Simon (the owner of Newport) is investing in it's top malls:
"Simon, for example, is redeveloping 25% of its top malls in terms of sales per square foot, 10% of its mid-class malls and none of its lowest-performing malls, according to Green Street. "That's where you get the biggest bang for your buck?when you take good and make it great," said Cedrik Lachance, a Green Street analyst.
For Simon, owner of 159 U.S. malls, the redevelopment push has the company planning to spend more than $1 billion in each of the next three years revamping its best properties.
"The more compelling we make our properties, the better they will be able to compete with all other forms of retail distribution," Mr. Sokolov said."
http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB1000 ... 70220178346?mg=reno64-wsj

But to debate myself in my previous post: look what's opening up in the Xandu (spelling?) location: http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2013/09 ... ll-in-new-jersey-in-2014/
I guess I'm wrong my assessment re: the extinction of traditional malls.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You obviously have not been to the Garden State Plaza lately.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 23:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Malls like Newport are becoming irrelevant. Most mall companies (Simon, Westfield, Vornado) are seeing higher vacancy rates in their indoor malls. Retailers are leaving indoor malls because of the high maintenance fees. Retailers are going to more main streets or outdoor "lifestyle centers" so they don't have to contribute to climate control and other common charges (Real Estate Weekly: http://www.rew-online.com/2013/02/22/ ... f-the-mall-as-we-know-it/ )

Also check out the Atlantic Monthly article:

The Death of the American Shopping Mall
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs ... rican-shopping-mall/4252/

A report from Co-Star observes that there are more than 200 malls with over 250,000 square feet that have vacancy rates of 35 percent or higher, a "clear marker for shopping center distress." These malls are becoming ghost towns. They are not viable now and will only get less so as online continues to steal retail sales from brick-and-mortar stores. Continued bankruptcies among historic mall anchors will increase the pressure on these marginal malls, as will store closures from retailers working to optimize their business. Hundreds of malls will soon need to be repurposed or demolished. Strong malls will stay strong for a while, as retailers are willing to pay for traffic and customers from failed malls seek offline alternatives, but even they stand in the path of the shift of retail spending from offline to online.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes the mall should build out attractive retail spaces on the Marin side and the Washington side and offer those to marquee stores. That would be a GREAT start.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I think they need to find some way of tastefully bringing more quality street retail to jersey city..maybe lining wash avenue from post office to mall with jcrew or banana republic...even zara or uniqlo

Posted on: 2013/9/6 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Manhattan Mall is part of the same grid structure as the every other building, it doesn't break up the blocks and present a big blank parking structure on one side and a single staircase on the other.

South Street in on the water, it is an end point not in the middle of the city.

The mall was specifically designed to cut off Newport from the rest of JC, it is hard argue that is part of the street scape as it's purpose was to interrupt foot traffic and act as a barrier.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I don't agree 100% that the mall isn't integrated into the street scape.

I think there could be shopping along Marin- but I don't agree that the lot is empty- it usually seems to have a lot of cars. Also, it serves as parking for HP.

You can walk through the mall 24/7 from HP to Newport- which is pretty awesome in the heat, cold and rain.

Plenty of cities have malls- look at South St Seaport and Manhattan Mall.

It can be spruced for sure- but the mall itself should stay.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I'm fine in theory with a mall existing there, but not at the expense of urban fabric. Currently, the mall exists at the expense of urban fabric.

I agree in theory, but in the meantime, the people of Jersey City- whether they be old school residents or some of us somewhat new urban professionals - need a place to shop. I happen to work in Newark. Newark stinks for those that live and work there because there is such a lack of basic services such as decent, local grocery stores and shopping. Jersey City also is not going to grow to its full potential unless it expands its offerings - including run of the mill shopping. Let's face it - even NYC has basically turned into one large strip mall of big box stores.

The reason why malls work is because people like going to a central location to get all of their shopping done. I don't want to spend hour upon hour going from this location to that location to shop. I want to hammer it out as soon as possible. I want to get what I need and move on to other things in my life.

I love Jersey City but sometimes I get annoyed that simple things such as going to the grocery store or shopping for a present can be so aggravating because of our limited choices and options here.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm fine in theory with a mall existing there, but not at the expense of urban fabric. Currently, the mall exists at the expense of urban fabric.

+1. That whole strip from BJ's up to Target is incongruous with what Downtown E of Marin has become. There's no reason those stores can't still be here, with their parking, but in a more urban layout integrated with residences and smaller retail, rather than suburban "big boxes". Picture the Home Depot but with a residence or office tower above and street service & retail storefronts on the ground. I must assume they have some pretty long leases, or their landlords would be kicking them out to build towers.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 21:00

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017