Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: The State Of The Union 2014, predictions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
One item I found really onerous was the MyRA proposal. Personally I have advocated allowing people to get out of Social Security, allowing them to invest a portion of their tax that would normally be paid into the program. However, the taxpayer would be required to participate in a mandatory savings program, with the option of investing in whatever Congress allows for themselves (The Thrift Savings Plan).

Obama proposed allowing people to invest after tax dollars into the THRIFT plan. Sounds good until you get into the details:

You can ONLY invest in government treasuries, which are paying under 3% right now. The older method of calculating inflation puts the inflation rate at over 4%.

The MyRA plan sounds like the postal savings program in Japan, which a large part of the population had their savings squandered. The government spent that money and now the debt load is 200% of Japan's gdp.

Will our 'retirement' savings now be used, in place of the Fed buying Treasuries, to keep the deficit spending spree going? Hopefully this won't be a baby step on the way to the government seizing private retirement accounts, like Argentina did and Poland is in the process of doing.

A few years back, the administration send up a trial balloon hinting the government would take over private retirement savings (i.e. 401k plans).

Posted on: 2014/1/30 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
msnbc now has fired the staffer who made the bigoted tweet. Which is one more person fired for not preventing Benghazi, the IRS targeting conservative groups, Fast n Furious, a 600 million dollar failed Obamacare website, yadda yadda.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Wait the same MSNBC making funny of Rodney's black kid and Cheerios and all that? Oh yeah. Top notch operation.

I saw the link provided. I didn't see them making fun of the kid. I saw people joking about a projected celebrity hook-up in a not-to-funny way.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:40
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Reliable fact check of SOTU:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/fact-check-obamas-sotu

More reliable fact checking of SOTU

Especially note the Slate link to the non existent income inequality for women. Slate, a liberal source.

http://www.foramerica.org/2014/01/the ... es-obama-told-last-night/

I went to the America, Inc. website but the list of 9 "lib lies" seems to be down. Regardless, the site's blurb inspires no confidence nor any desire to hear what they have to say:

"Last night's State of the Union address was just another example of liberals and their ridiculous lies they tell the American people. Here are Obama's 9 biggest lies from last night.

Obama's 9 Biggest #LibLies from State of the Union
www.foramerica.org

He's full of it."

No, L. Brent Bozell III, life-long homophobe http://mediamatters.org/blog/2010/06/ ... -long-losing-battl/184764and apologist for the politics of exclusion, is full of it.

LOL! A website run by the guy that made it his mission over several years to remove professional wrestling from television is always funny. This guy runs more full-of-it websites than just about anyone else out there.

Like MSNBC isn't full of it, lol?

Some of their opinion pieces clearly are full of it. Some of their commentators are way over the top as well.

It does carry more legitimacy than L. Brent Bozell, a proven out and out bigot.

Additionally, I did click the link. I just didn't find it informative. It claims to state facts, but really provides only conjecture. The MSNBC link at least states it is an opinion piece from the start.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:36
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
*grandkid. Sorry.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Wait the same MSNBC making funny of Rodney's black kid and Cheerios and all that? Oh yeah. Top notch operation.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Especially note the Slate link to the non existent income inequality for women. Slate, a liberal source.

I went to the America, Inc. website but the list of 9 "lib lies" seems to be down. Regardless, the site's blurb inspires no confidence nor any desire to hear what they have to say:

"Last night's State of the Union address was just another example of liberals and their ridiculous lies they tell the American people. Here are Obama's 9 biggest lies from last night.

www.foramerica.org

He's full of it."

No, L. Brent Bozell III, life-long homophobe http://mediamatters.org/blog/2010/06/ ... -long-losing-battl/184764and apologist for the politics of exclusion, is full of it.

LOL! A website run by the guy that made it his mission over several years to remove professional wrestling from television is always funny. This guy runs more full-of-it websites than just about anyone else out there.

Like MSNBC isn't full of it, lol?

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

www.foramerica.org

He's full of it."

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:19
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@wishful thinking, just click on the link I provided-it works.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I know you're referencing me in this so all ill say is go f*ck yourself. I welcome differing opinions and value face to face discussions. I don't give a sh*t what color anybody is, whoever wants to come out and be an adult rather than hide behind a screen is welcome to it. I want to be challenged and I want to see different view points but I refuse to be called names by all the brave fools on here hiding behind the screen. People act a lot differently in person and id like to see how.

I've got zero to hide VV. the only reason I haven't attempted to put it together yet is because I've been pretty battered by the flu so excuse me.

Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
He's not that progressive on dealing with POC either. He and/or his mental doppleganger want to meet with black people at Zeppelin to "debate" and tell them how to be better, the merits of the GOP, embracing Republican values or some nonsense like that. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

www.foramerica.org

He's full of it."

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
dtjcview wrote:
MDM & Boris - not going to debate your Reagan-inspired view of world history.

This is weird. I can swear that not only you have been debating it, but you continued to do so immediately after that phrase.

Quote:
dtjcview wrote:
Just a contrasting quote from a UK Chancellor of the Exchequer shortly after WW1 related to "profiting from corpses".

First of all, let me begin by saying that I am very happy to see the quote from that book. I think it should be required reading for everyone even mildly interested in politics, international affairs, war and peace and so on.

However, I am somewhat puzzled that you chose that quote to support your statement. The Churchill states that the enforcement of the debt "is a recognizable factor in the economic collapse which was presently to overwhelm the world, to prevent its recovery". How could you possibly read "this lead to the Great Depression" and think that it supports your claim "US profited"?

Third, as much as this book is a great read, it is not the only source of historical facts. Churchill describes only one episode of that particular story. If you did some further reading, you'd learn that during the WWI the U.S. had advanced European countries about $10 billion in goods and credit. Now, follow the link and check the amounts that were actually repaid. Subtract. Thank you.

Last, but not the least, let me remind you, yet again, that you are trying to use that "profiting from the corpses" to explain how the US became the biggest economy. However, even if that fantasy were true, - it would have happened AFTER the US did become the dominant power. See? AFTER. You'd need much more than 1.21 gigawatts to work the flux capacitor needed to shuttle all that cash back there!

Posted on: 2014/1/30 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/30 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
He's not that progressive on dealing with POC either. He and/or his mental doppleganger want to meet with black people at Zeppelin to "debate" and tell them how to be better, the merits of the GOP, embracing Republican values or some nonsense like that. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

'Meet with black people'? How do I know what color people here are, besides the two I know-who stay out of politics here anyway.

Talk about making stereotypes. The intolerance of those who demand tolerance always amuses me.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
this monroe bigot is pretty out there

Yes, I'm bigoted against idiots, I'll cop to that in a Jersey City second. Stupid people offend my sensibilities, and make life difficult for both themselves and others. But even God has a plan for those so afflicted.

But the looney left partisans can't avoid the fact that the SOTU speech was nothing more than less of the same.

The only thing he got right is the 'year of action' meme-after the effects of Obamacare hits those who have healthcare through their corporate jobs you're going to see plenty of action.

In November.

Calling a woman, who identifies as such, a man due to her sexual orientation is bigoted plain and simple.

Nope, all I said is she looks like a dude/fella, which she self identifies with, as per a People magazine article in which she's quoted.

And don't forget, Rachel is the one who made a big deal out of Cory Booker's sexuality, when she declared he was straight-while Booker hasn't declared for either team the last I read.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Yes, I'm bigoted against idiots, I'll cop to that in a Jersey City second. Stupid people offend my sensibilities, and make life difficult for both themselves and others. But even God has a plan for those so afflicted.

But the looney left partisans can't avoid the fact that the SOTU speech was nothing more than less of the same.

The only thing he got right is the 'year of action' meme-after the effects of Obamacare hits those who have healthcare through their corporate jobs you're going to see plenty of action.

In November.

Calling a woman, who identifies as such, a man due to her sexual orientation is bigoted plain and simple.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

In November.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Yeah, threatening to bypass Congress at every chance is sure to engender friendships and bi-partisanship. Just like his recess appointments. Of course, I'd expect no less from sweet Rachel.

What happened to last year's gun initiative? It was Senate Democrats who ran and hid from it. Immigration reform from last years speech? Obama could've achieved it immediately upon his first election, and instead of trying to get the economy going he focused on his 'signature' accomplishment instead-and that earned him the loss of political capital to do anything else.

So instead of talking about Republican's slapping his hand, pay attention to the ABC News poll last week that showed barely more than a third of Americans-of all political interest-believe he will make correct decisions going forward.

It seems like the citizens of the USA are slapping his hand.

Somewhere, Chris Matthews has lost the thrill up his leg.

With Congress approval rating in the single digits, I doubt most Americans would disapprove of a President willing to do something within his power. Sure Obama's approval ratings have taken a dive but it hardly the same level of disdain set aside for Congress.

Last night's speech is a good one and was powerful enough that even Newt Gingrich can speak positively of it. This being an election year though, it will be tough to get anything done more so than the usual ineptness of Congress.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/29 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

There are a handful of people on here who having been sucking on the teat of republican delusional hysteria.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/29 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sh ... -pitch-opportunity-agenda

Quote:

The speech was more an outstretched hand than a shaking fist. Whether congressional Republicans do what they?ve been doing and slap it away remains to be seen. Obama seems to believe progress is still possible, even if he?s the only one.

Yeah, threatening to bypass Congress at every chance is sure to engender friendships and bi-partisanship. Just like his recess appointments. Of course, I'd expect no less from sweet Rachel.

What happened to last year's gun initiative? It was Senate Democrats who ran and hid from it. Immigration reform from last years speech? Obama could've achieved it immediately upon his first election, and instead of trying to get the economy going he focused on his 'signature' accomplishment instead-and that earned him the loss of political capital to do anything else.

So instead of talking about Republican's slapping his hand, pay attention to the ABC News poll last week that showed barely more than a third of Americans-of all political interest-believe he will make correct decisions going forward.

It seems like the citizens of the USA are slapping his hand.

Somewhere, Chris Matthews has lost the thrill up his leg.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sh ... -pitch-opportunity-agenda

Quote:

The speech was more an outstretched hand than a shaking fist. Whether congressional Republicans do what they?ve been doing and slap it away remains to be seen. Obama seems to believe progress is still possible, even if he?s the only one.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Well, the SOTU speech was a yawn after all. 'It was a litany of the small and the stale' pretty much sums it up.

I would beg to differ. It couldn't have been a stirring speech with a robust policy tactic, because running through the SOTU was the President's acknowledgement of what many Americans - myself among them - have concluded is that Congress is now a dead end for any new national policies. You and I will disagree strongly over the cause of this - I'm unapologetic about putting the blame squarely on the Republican party - but President Obama has clearly articulated a vision, if not yet a plan, for executive actions to solve problems.

Executive actions have limits, of course, thus the small-bore nature of the proposals, but I felt he laid out a powerful argument for the need to turn things around.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
My favorite is watching left wing jerkoffs use talking points to call out right wing jerkoffs for using talking points.

F*cking fools.

My favorite too! Watching left wingers quoting MSNBC to refute right wingers FOX NEWS talking points...

Posted on: 2014/1/29 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, the SOTU speech was a yawn after all. 'It was a litany of the small and the stale' pretty much sums it up.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Best comment from the press

Bob Green
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/29/opinion ... ndup/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Quote:
The state of the union -- at least the political union -- is combative and discordant. Which is probably healthy, although sometimes not easy to watch. As messy as America's civic life can be, in the end it is hard to dispute that it is indeed a high privilege and distinct honor to live here, to be a part of it all.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 11:11

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017