Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Korean deli for the Heights?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Admittedly, some things you will just need to go downtown or to Hoboken for. In nice weather, I stop at these places on my way home from the PATH in Hoboken:

Chocolate & candy - Lepores, 4th Street off Washington
Artisinal bread - Chocopain, 1st Street off Washington

And there is a wonderful boutique on Washington Street, near Anthropologie - can't remember the name, but it sells really beautiful ceramics for the home and the best aged balsamic vinegar.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Much of what you're looking for comes with gentrification.

It's not quite there yet.

I totally disagree with this outlandish statement, I got dtjc in 91 and all the Korean groceries were all ready in place, and doing well, some actually close because of gentrification. They have been in those same spots before most of us got here. The original poster was not asking for a some idiotic cupcake shop but a Korean fruits and vegetable grocery shop.

I moved from the Bronx to DTJC in 1990. The Korean groceries were there, but their produce and products they sold were subpar. Produce was rotten and hings like boxes of pasta or canned items were dusty and past their expiration dates. That said, the quality of of these groceries vastly improved as the area has gentrified.

According to ResearchWikis.com, the purchasing of organic food stuffs in has risen every year since 1990. Purchasing continues to gain among all income groups and races, and is gaining the most ground with women ages 25?35, white, & married demographic.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

I totally disagree with this outlandish statement, I got dtjc in 91 and all the Korean groceries were all ready in place, and doing well, some actually close because of gentrification. They have been in those same spots before most of us got here. The original poster was not asking for a some idiotic cupcake shop but a Korean fruits and vegetable grocery shop.

I moved from the Bronx to DTJC in 1990. The Korean groceries were there, but their produce and products they sold were subpar. Produce was rotten and hings like boxes of pasta or canned items were dusty and past their expiration dates. That said, the quality of of these groceries vastly improved as the area has gentrified.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

chocolatecake wrote:
Here's the question: how to get the word out to the owners of these kinds of stores? Does anyone know if there's some kind of Korean business consortium that identifies neighborhoods where such a business would do well?

(user1111 - remind me not to invite you over when I bake cupcakes...)

HAHA! fair enuff, that is something I never understood cup cake shops which apparently is not supported very much here in JC.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chocolatecake wrote:
Here's the question: how to get the word out to the owners of these kinds of stores? Does anyone know if there's some kind of Korean business consortium that identifies neighborhoods where such a business would do well?

I don't understand what exactly you feel is missing - at first I though you wanted someplace to buy kimchee

Do you mean 1-stop, all season shopping? Admittedly that's not easy - and I'm a foodie on top of being a 6 year resident of the Heights. Much of what you can be found now, and come summer many of the organic products can be had at the Farmers' Market in Riverside Park

(user1111 - remind me not to invite you over when I bake cupcakes...)

Posted on: 2014/1/27 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The original poster was not asking for a some idiotic cupcake shop but a Korean fruits and vegetable grocery shop.

No, the original poster was asking for specific items that are typically found in fruit stores run by Koreans, like the stores downtown.

Since you're so well versed in everything Jersey City, you already know that there are several Korean fruit stores in the Heights, the newest being Sweet Pineapple on Central. Despite the fact that the grocer is Korean, the items that the ORIGINAL POSTER is requested are absent because the area is not gentrified and there's less of a demand. No business owner -- Korean or not -- is going to stock their shelves with $10 bags of organic flour or organic milk that has a 25% price premium over regular.

Closer to Ogden, maybe. But again, like I originally posted before user1111111111 wanted to chime in with his irrelevant story on how long he's been in Jersey City, the areas outside of that are not ready.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/27 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/27 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
What we have been doing up here is inviting existing business owners in the area to our block association meetings so that they get more of understanding what people in the community need and want.

For example we have a mid size market on Ocean that sells groceries but nothing worth buying, but after a few chats they now sell products that we actually can buy like fresh fruits and vegetables.

Also I would invite business owners who you want to attract so they get a feel of the demographics. We had some success with the community center and a few small business owners who have now invested in the neighborhood such as workout classes and a bakery. We are currently working with a popular bagel shop and things are looking good.

We now have things in the community that we are proud of and get to shop and congregate locally. We still have a long way to go, but reaching out IMO is very effective.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 13:42

Korean deli for the Heights?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
In the Heights we have three different kinds of food stores (other than grocery stores): the ones on Central that sell only vegetables and fruit, the newsstands that sell junk food, and the corner stores that sell canned vienna sausages, soda, cleaning supplies, and onions. Around Grove Street there are at least three really well-stocked Korean delis--you know, the kind where you can buy crackers and chocolate chips and organic milk. Does anyone else think that one of those would do really well up in this neck of the woods. Here's the question: how to get the word out to the owners of these kinds of stores? Does anyone know if there's some kind of Korean business consortium that identifies neighborhoods where such a business would do well?

Posted on: 2014/1/25 19:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017