Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Motorcycle passenger dies from injuries after crash with jitney in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
Far be it for me to come to the defense of a jitney driver, but if those orange "POI" (presumably, point of impact) photos in the link above are true, the biker was over the yellow line (as was the jitney, but at least on their side of the road it's more narrow and understandable).

Looking at the last 2 pictures, it suggests someone was parking in the no-parking zone past the sign (seeing it from the back, so can't be sure what it says). Also - there was clearly not enough room for the jitney to stay in it's lane, given the roadway was blocked by an illegally parked car.

My suggestion - get the license of that car, and charge that d-bag with something, even if the jitney driver and the motorcycle driver were at fault - this situation would have been avoided except for that scofflaw.

Cue "the needs of the car are more important than the needs of the many" crowd...

Posted on: 2014/1/25 1:40

Re: Motorcycle passenger dies from injuries after crash with jitney in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Far be it for me to come to the defense of a jitney driver, but if those orange "POI" (presumably, point of impact) photos in the link above are true, the biker was over the yellow line (as was the jitney, but at least on their side of the road it's more narrow and understandable).

Posted on: 2014/1/23 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
i am very cautious when riding my motorbike around town, too many crazies. I always stay way away from jitneys... they are the worst...

and not to be the victim blaming guy, but if you are on a bike without a helmet, not only are you breaking the law, but you are also, as we see here, risking your life even more than just riding on the streets.

Don't apoligize...blame the victim. A helmet would save on insurance costs. Also is it PC to avoid the jitney bus ? You might be offending the driver of these busses. It might be better to wait till the jitney bus causes an accident then you can avoid the bus.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 17:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
My opinion is that all parties are at fault to some degree with bus driver being the most. By looking at pics from link above jitney driver parked on the road and part of the middle divider and then opened his door. Motorcycle operator is at fault to have a passenger without a helmet and of course the girl who died at fault for same reason. It is a tragic event and hopefully some good will come out of it like enforcement of helmet laws and crack down on jitney drivers' reckless driving habits.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The motorcycle passenger who died in Jersey City after the driver of the motorcycle crashed into the door of a jitney bus early Monday morning was a 26-year-old woman, according to a report released by police Wednesday.

Anna Bechalany, whose town of residence has not been released, was riding on the motorcycle of Joao Demedeires-Vieira, 26, of Jersey City late Sunday night when it slammed into the just-opened door of a jitney bus, neighbors told The Jersey Journal.

Upon impact, the motorcycle careened backward and Demedeires-Vieira and Bechalany were thrown forward onto the road, neighbors said.

Neighbors told The Jersey Journal that shortly after the accident, Demedeires-Vieira appeared to be injured in the left hip, while Bechalany appeared unconscious.

Police have not released whether the driver of the jitney bus, Washington M. Franco-Sanchez, 56, of Clifton has been issued any summonses.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... d_woman.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/1/23 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maskedmarvel wrote:
These Jitney buses are blight on Jersey City. They add unnecessary congestion, pollution, and driving hazards.

I witnessed one driver urinating into a plastic ?to-go? container with passengers on board, while not even pulled completely off the road. The ?to-go? container was left sitting open on the floor. I was shocked to learn from regular users that this is a common occurrence.

They are often in various states of disrepair, inside and out. The majority of the time the number of jitneys far exceeds the number of passengers, many with just one or two passengers. Do we really need a train length of Jitneys traveling out already suffering roadways

Ok, so if the passengers don't ride the jitneys, what will they ride? What will these rides do to the roadways?

Posted on: 2014/1/22 18:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/1 18:18
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
These Jitney buses are blight on Jersey City. They add unnecessary congestion, pollution, and driving hazards.

I witnessed one driver urinating into a plastic ?to-go? container with passengers on board, while not even pulled completely off the road. The ?to-go? container was left sitting open on the floor. I was shocked to learn from regular users that this is a common occurrence.

They are often in various states of disrepair, inside and out. The majority of the time the number of jitneys far exceeds the number of passengers, many with just one or two passengers. Do we really need a train length of Jitneys traveling out already suffering roadways

Posted on: 2014/1/22 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
None of the buses pull over into the stop. Usually someone is parked in the bus stop.

The only place I have seen the #87 bus pull over to the curb, is the stretch of Franklin Street between New York and Webster Avenues where there is no parking (of course, cars park - usually on the sidewalk - but since there is one at most the bus can swing in).

Everywhere else, there are invariably cars in the bus zones, and on my many jaunts you usually see cars crossing the double line to get around the bus as it pulls back into traffic.

Even if that were not the case, the NJT busses on Palisade and Central Avenue can't get that close to the bus stops, on account of the 1/2 dozen jitneys in the way...

Posted on: 2014/1/21 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i am very cautious when riding my motorbike around town, too many crazies. I always stay way away from jitneys... they are the worst...

and not to be the victim blaming guy, but if you are on a bike without a helmet, not only are you breaking the law, but you are also, as we see here, risking your life even more than just riding on the streets.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
No helmet? WTF!

Posted on: 2014/1/21 10:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
None of the buses pull over into the stop. Usually someone is parked in the bus stop.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 7:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/14 15:24
From vanvorst
Group:
Registered Users
What department monitors these things? How the pullover, emissions, etc?

Posted on: 2014/1/21 6:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
I'll put money on it that the bus wasn't properly even pulled over.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 4:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Very sad. RIP.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 4:08

Motorcycle passenger dies from injuries after crash with jitney in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal

A passenger on a motorcycle died this morning, a short time after the motorcycle crashed with a jitney bus in Jersey City, according to police.

The woman passenger, whose identity has not been released, died at a local hospital, according to police radio transmissions. The man driving the motorcycle was also injured in the crash, which occurred near the intersection of Palisade Avenue and the elevated portion of Route 139.

Jennifer Ramirez, 22, who lives on Palisade Avenue, said she saw the accident from her bedroom window. She told The Jersey Journal that the jitney bus was stopped in the southbound lane when the driver opened the driver-side door and the motorcyle, traveling north, slammed into it.
"The bus driver opened the door really quick," she said.

As the motorcycle careened backward, the man and the woman on it were thrown forward onto the road, she said.

The driver of the motorcycle landed close to the back of the jitney, whereas the woman landed near its front wheel, Ramirez said.

"When I first looked out the window I thought they were dead," said Andrew Marotta, 29, who also lives on Palisade Avenue.

He said he saw the bus driver, uninjured, with his hands on his head, clearly distressed by what had happened.

Marotta and Ramirez said the man on the motorcycle was wearing a helmet at the time of accident, but it appeared that the passenger was not wearing a helmet.

Marotta said a few minutes after the collision, the man on the ground managed to get up with what appeared to be an injury to his left hip, and hobbled over to the woman in an attempt to help her.
He said the woman appeared unconscious and that when emergency responders finally arrived, she was put in a neck brace and placed on a stretcher before both her and the man were taken to the hospital.

It could not immediately be determined if the driver of the jitney bus was issued any summonses or if he was injured.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 16:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017