Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Re: Jersey City to choose new ambulance provider?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/19 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/9 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) is looking into the legality of the agreement. One point of concern is that the reimbursement proposed by Jersey City in the RFP is in violation of Anti-Kickback laws. There may be other concerns. It could take many months to get a ruling from the OIG. Till then the awarding of the contract to CarePoint is on hold. Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Does anyone know when the council is scheduled to vote on this?

Last I heard, despite Fulop's attempts to rush this vote through, it was being held up because Carepoint's bid might have been illegal.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 5:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know when the council is scheduled to vote on this?

Last I heard, despite Fulop's attempts to rush this vote through, it was being held up because Carepoint's bid might have been illegal.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for keeping is up to date.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 0:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday, I along with a few other residents went to see Councilman Rivera at his request and had conversation in regards to EMS contract. It was heated debate at times and I give credit to Councilman Rivera for having a dialogue with us.

I want to share what it means to have viable, profitable non-profit hospital in Jersey City. Please read page 24 and compare how JCMC has been serving the poorest of the poor in Jersey City in comparison to CarePoint: Bayonne / Hoboken / Christ Hospitals. The Charity Care JCMC provides on yearly basis for Jersey City residents who cannot afford medical care, nor have insurance way surpasses 3 hospitals combined by CarePoint.

http://www.nj.gov/health/charitycare/ ... ents/cc_reportdoc2012.pdf

Transferring EMS service away from JCMC will have detrimental financial impact, which will then have grave consequences for us residents.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 14:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/21 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
perfect, thank you!

Posted on: 2014/1/15 21:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/15 20:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
nyrgravey9, thank you and no, the date I posted doesn't make sense. Sorry, multi-tasking.

Here is the meeting post again with CORRECT date :).

Heights Hope Neighborhood Association's monthly meeting.

Thursday, January 16th
7:00pm
PS28 Christa McAuliffe School
167 Hancock Avenue

Posted on: 2014/1/14 6:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
That date doesn't sound right...

Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
I received a notification that there will be another Q&A meeting with JCMC representative Robert Luckritz this Thursday Nov. 16th:

Thursday, November 16th
167 Hancock Avenue

Since Heights residents have the most at stake with CarePoint owned Christ Hospital at their door step, this will be an informative meeting if anyone has any question in regards to the matter. If anyone is interested in finding out more, please attend the meeting.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Do you work for a corporation in Jersey City? Does your company have an arrangement with Jersey City Medical Center?

Jersey City Medical Center has a Community Outreach and Corporate Liaison department. When there is an emergency, your company can call the medical center and you will get special treatment.

If the City of Jersey City changes the ambulance service, this could affect everything.

Please ask your company about this.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 1:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I received a notification that there will be another Q&A meeting with JCMC representative Robert Luckritz this Thursday Nov. 16th:

Thursday, November 16th
167 Hancock Avenue

Since Heights residents have the most at stake with CarePoint owned Christ Hospital at their door step, this will be an informative meeting if anyone has any question in regards to the matter. If anyone is interested in finding out more, please attend the meeting.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 16:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/27 1:30
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
[quote]
...Candice said that the OIG review takes a minimum of 60 days but has been known to take up to a full year.

Ms. Coleman -- to borrow a phrase, "radio silence."

Given the state's thorough trashing of McCabe/Carepoint's credibility, I have to wonder how the City Council can accept the recommendation of the selecting committee?

Wow, 60 days to a year. Pitiful response time...

"Radio Silence" from Coleman is normal when there isn't a good photo-op and news media involved. She's about as useful as a screen door on a submarine, IMO.

This place is a mess -- can't get a 2014 budget in place, can't sort out the ambulance contract, taxes going up, tax abatements still being handed out where there is apparently NO need to, high-density housing with height variances being given to properties in CLEARLY flood-prone areas (and no parking spaces for all those units), etc. I'm feeling like the current administration was/is more talk than action and it's pretty discouraging.

I know I've got some time, but I can't wait to work to help elect a viable candidate to unseat Diane Coleman. She is the absolute worst.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 5:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Front page of today's Jersey City Reporter --

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... l--?instance=latest_story

Posted on: 2014/1/12 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
[quote]
...Candice said that the OIG review takes a minimum of 60 days but has been known to take up to a full year.

Ms. Coleman -- to borrow a phrase, "radio silence."

Given the state's thorough trashing of McCabe/Carepoint's credibility, I have to wonder how the City Council can accept the recommendation of the selecting committee?

Wow, 60 days to a year. Pitiful response time...

"Radio Silence" from Coleman is normal when there isn't a good photo-op and news media involved. She's about as useful as a screen door on a submarine, IMO.

This place is a mess -- can't get a 2014 budget in place, can't sort out the ambulance contract, taxes going up, tax abatements still being handed out where there is apparently NO need to, high-density housing with height variances being given to properties in CLEARLY flood-prone areas (and no parking spaces for all those units), etc. I'm feeling like the current administration was/is more talk than action and it's pretty discouraging.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I reached out to our council members as a concerned resident and two of them were kind enough to get back to me with some face time: Councilman Yun and Councilwoman Osborne. The confirmation is that the EMS agenda will not be on Council Meeting on Jan. 15th meeting at City Hall, they don?t know exactly when.

I sent that letter to Diane Coleman, Rolando Lavarro and Candice Osborne. Rolando and Candice responded, noting that they had not seen the letter and thanked me for sending. Rolando said the contract was not on the agenda for January 15 (which I knew), and Candice said that the OIG review takes a minimum of 60 days but has been known to take up to a full year. Ms. Coleman -- to borrow a phrase, "radio silence."

Posted on: 2014/1/10 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
There is only one argument most residents need to be concerned about. The cost of an in network v. out of network ambulance ride. McCabe will almost certainly cost residents FAR more $$$ for the same thing, along with possibly transporting them to Bayonne, the most expensive hospital in the country.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. It seems to be a choice between the City and it's taxpayers subsidizing ambulance rides, and the health insurance of it's taxpayers subsidizing the City. I don't like the fact that the McCabe/Carepoint option seems to shift the costs mostly to the sick and elderly. While I don't like the what JCMC has done over the years - it too seems to charged excessively - it seems to be the lesser of two evils. Plus keeping in-house, would help JCMC survive and thrive, whereas the McCabe option might help kill off JCMC.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:
Mickey McCabe is continually being used as the face of this deal, but he is not. He is the minority holder at 30% and the real brass behind the deal is CarePoint. We know that they have turned Bayonne into the most expensive hospital in the country and in a move to expand their business model throughout the area they have purchased Christ and Hoboken Hospitals. Events that should cause concern for those that care about quality affordable health services.

I think this denial of application for Managed Care speaks volumes as to who CarePoint is. The NJ Office of the Attorney General didn't just deny CarePoint, they eviscerated them.

July 29, 2013

DMAHS remains Concerned about CerePo?nt?s continuing pattern of misrepresentation to State agencies about its readiness, its competencies, its corporate ownership and its failure to accept responsibility for prior misrepresentations. Given the importance of this contract to thousands of New Jersey's poorest and most vulnerable citizens and the impact on their health care and decisions about their health care, DMAHS cannot currently grant CarePoint a MCO contract.

and it gets better?

As part of its due diligence, MFD investigators performed background checks on all named individuals and corporate entities, disclosed in the application. On the ?Disclosure Statement of Ownership and Control Interest," Sequoia Healthcare Services, LLC (?Sequoia?) is acknowledged as the 100% controlling interest. However, Sequoia is not identified or mentioned in the entire MCO application. Given CarePoint?s corporate structure, including ownership by an entity with only addresses end a name, as well as its improper and omitted identification concerning its chief medical officer, and finally its lack of permanent experienced corporate staff with a solid financial and professional track record, DMAHS cannot reasonably find adequate indicia of the requisite stability for such a high risk contract. Based on MFD?S factual findings, DMAHS believes that CarePoint made misrepresentations about its corporate ownership structure and responsible persons. Sequoia appears to be only an address, or a post office box for a phantom corporate entity. Perhaps a legitimate corporate entity will be established in the near future however, CarePoint's statement that it is 100% owned by Sequoia obscures its current corporate status and misrepresents its readiness to enter into a large scale contract.

link from post #177:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-wndx ... VpCWi1DVEVrQVU/edit?pli=1

And this is the company Fulop is aggressively trying to force on JC residents. What a disappointment...

Posted on: 2014/1/10 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Mickey McCabe is continually being used as the face of this deal, but he is not. He is the minority holder at 30% and the real brass behind the deal is CarePoint. We know that they have turned Bayonne into the most expensive hospital in the country and in a move to expand their business model throughout the area they have purchased Christ and Hoboken Hospitals. Events that should cause concern for those that care about quality affordable health services.

I think this denial of application for Managed Care speaks volumes as to who CarePoint is. The NJ Office of the Attorney General didn't just deny CarePoint, they eviscerated them.

July 29, 2013

DMAHS remains Concerned about CerePo?nt?s continuing pattern of misrepresentation to State agencies about its readiness, its competencies, its corporate ownership and its failure to accept responsibility for prior misrepresentations. Given the importance of this contract to thousands of New Jersey's poorest and most vulnerable citizens and the impact on their health care and decisions about their health care, DMAHS cannot currently grant CarePoint a MCO contract.

and it gets better?

As part of its due diligence, MFD investigators performed background checks on all named individuals and corporate entities, disclosed in the application. On the ?Disclosure Statement of Ownership and Control Interest," Sequoia Healthcare Services, LLC (?Sequoia?) is acknowledged as the 100% controlling interest. However, Sequoia is not identified or mentioned in the entire MCO application. Given CarePoint?s corporate structure, including ownership by an entity with only addresses end a name, as well as its improper and omitted identification concerning its chief medical officer, and finally its lack of permanent experienced corporate staff with a solid financial and professional track record, DMAHS cannot reasonably find adequate indicia of the requisite stability for such a high risk contract. Based on MFD?S factual findings, DMAHS believes that CarePoint made misrepresentations about its corporate ownership structure and responsible persons. Sequoia appears to be only an address, or a post office box for a phantom corporate entity. Perhaps a legitimate corporate entity will be established in the near future however, CarePoint's statement that it is 100% owned by Sequoia obscures its current corporate status and misrepresents its readiness to enter into a large scale contract.

link from post #177:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-wndx ... VpCWi1DVEVrQVU/edit?pli=1

Posted on: 2014/1/10 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Medical Center was a city department, people did not pay for healthcare in Jersey City during Hague term. In fact, the late Joe Duffy, an activist who lived in Paulus Hook, used to tell the story of his sister who worked for the Medical Center during Hague mayoralty. Joe's sister notice a 3% deduction from her paycheck. When she inquired, she was told it was a tribute to Hague. Mind you there was no city income tax, but if you were on the payroll, you paid a Hague tax. Frank Hague name the Margaret Hague after his mother. Thousand of people in Jersey City and the State was born there. Joe died around the year 2,000, he was in his 90s. He knew all the political players.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
"the Medical Center was a city department like Public Works. It took care of Jersey City residents who had no way to pay for services. Jersey City always had an arrangement to subsidize the Medical Center."

Not true since 1988. And you, the so called tax watchdog, who makes it sound like it is par for the course for the city to pay millions of dollars to a private hospital network for a contract that actually makes the provider earn money.

And I LOVE those hard hitting questions on the SpeakNJ interview such as "What makes you guys so great?!" That's the way to hold their feet to the fire!

Posted on: 2014/1/10 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Joshua, specious, means falsely appearing to be fair, appearing to be true but actually false, so what is false about my statement?

Posted on: 2014/1/10 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
JCMC was last a city entity 25 years ago. It was it's own not-for profit, then it became part of the Liberty Healthcare System which is now part of the St. Barnabas Health Network. Although these are non-profits, they are huge health networks.

There are reasonable arguments for preferring JCMC to the McCabe bid. But the arguments that certain people are making for JCMC are becoming more and more specious.

If all that effort had gone into a better bid....

There is only one argument most residents need to be concerned about. The cost of an in network v. out of network ambulance ride. McCabe will almost certainly cost residents FAR more $$$ for the same thing, along with possibly transporting them to Bayonne, the most expensive hospital in the country.

I'm sure JCMC is probably better equipped to handle the job than McCabe but I don't think there will be more patient deaths due to late ambulance rides if McCabe took over. However, I predict a surge in residents filing for bankruptcy if they do.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
JCMC was last a city entity 25 years ago. It was it's own not-for profit, then it became part of the Liberty Healthcare System which is now part of the St. Barnabas Health Network. Although these are non-profits, they are huge health networks.

There are reasonable arguments for preferring JCMC to the McCabe bid. But the arguments that certain people are making for JCMC are becoming more and more specious.

If all that effort had gone into a better bid....

Posted on: 2014/1/10 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
First, Joshua, the Medical Center was a city department like Public Works. It took care of Jersey City residents who had no way to pay for services. Jersey City always had an arrangement to subsidize the Medical Center. Granted, if they don?t need the subsidy, then the city shouldn?t provide it. Bayonne Hospital was never part of that agreement. I believe this payment for McCabe will be similar to the United Water contract. Former Mayor Schundler talked then about how much money they will receive, and rates have gone up. The contract should be based on performance, not dollars. If McCabe/Care Point cannot do what JCEMS does, and lives are lost, then the city might be part of future lawsuits, so where are the savings?

Posted on: 2014/1/9 4:49

Edited by Yvonne on 2014/1/9 5:04:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
While you are trying to justify McCabe, Joshua, remember, the national average for EMSwho treats heart attack patients is 17%, but the JC EMS is 50%. The best should get the contract, a doctor or EMS worker should have evaluated the contract.

I didn't justify McCabe. The bidding process did. I have nothing against JCMC and even if they won the contract it would have been an improvement over the $4 million that they were taking from the city, and which would not have happened unless the city actually, heaven forbid, put things out for competitive bid.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 3:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I reached out to our council members as a concerned resident and two of them were kind enough to get back to me with some face time: Councilman Yun and Councilwoman Osborne. The confirmation is that the EMS agenda will not be on Council Meeting on Jan. 15th meeting at City Hall, they don?t know exactly when.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ct_may_be_weeks_away.html

The legal issue city spokeswoman Morrill is talking about is Office of Inspector General is now investigating the legality of the bidding process. If OIG rules in favor of Jersey City, then it will be put back into Council Meeting Agenda. Until then, the vote is postponed. One can only hope that OIG will rule against it.

Councilwoman Osborne is committed to communicating with us residents when the ruling is made by OIG. If it?s in favor of CarePoint, then there will be a public hearing by Council Members prior to the Council Members voting the agenda.

I am not sure why Morrill nor anyone from Mayor?s office doesn?t feel it isn?t important or worth their time to reach out to residents and let us know these details when we have been working overdrive to get some information and raise concerns. In any case, I am glad a few Council Members still have their voters? interest in mind, as all of them should. What a mess this whole EMS issue has become between JCMC & CarePoint/ McCabe. If we had a competent 5 member grading committee to begin with during RFP process that were unbiased, with right mix of backgrounds put in place from the beginning by the Mayor?s office, we could have avoided all this headache.

It has been a great lesson for me personally how important local government issues are and how if we don?t care or pay attention such an important issue as our emergency healthcare in Jersey City can be put in peril. So regardless when the EMS will be put back on agenda for vote in future Council Meetings, I think it?s important that those of us who care about our quality of healthcare in Jersey City still sign up and speak at each council meeting and let our Council Members know how we voters feel and continue to reach out to our Council Members.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 3:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/27 1:30
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

FunInWardF wrote:

Here is the letter Mickey McCabe wrote re: decision not to attend the Q&A. It infuriates me that he keeps trying to spin the story and suggest McCabe is the locally owned option, as if the Barnabas Health System is based out of Western Asia and not West Orange. He doesn't even own the ambulance company that bears his name anymore.

So would you agree that the constant "out of towner" accusations thrown at McCabe are improper?

Theoretically, McCabe IS an "out of towner." But that's not what bothers me. There are things I find more important than the location of the home office. My point is, it bothers me that one of McCabe's major arguments for being our EMS provider is that he is a home town option and JCMC, now owned out-of-county, is somehow ill prepared for the gig. At least the Medical Center can make it's points on actual medical-based criteria.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 22:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Below is a NJ state denial to CarePoint for managed care application for 'concerned about CarePoint's continuing pattern of misrepresentation to State agencies about its readiness, its competencies, it's corporate ownership and its failure to accept responsibility for prior representations' and reasons go on and on. This along CarePoint's failure in Secaucus give me grave concerns as to why Jersey City is inviting a company with such predatory billing practices to replace our EMS service that us residents are more than happy with.

I am attaching a link for a official state document that describes what kind of company CarePoint really is: the kind of company Jersey City should not engage with.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-wndxx3kEacaVpCWi1DVEVrQVU/edit

Us residents are the ones that will suffer the effect of changing our EMS service in Jersey City if the quality of care is not adequate. Lives will be put at risk and some may end up in financial ruin due to predatory medical billings by CarePoint. The prospect is truly frightening and unforgivable given the quality of care we currently have with JCMC EMS. All this for chum financial fictional figure to equate replacing our proven quality of life saving healthcare isn?t why we elected our officials.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 7:03

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017