Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
As a side note on PATH cards, why is it now impossible to buy more than 10 rides at a time?

I first noticed this after getting a new PATH card in October, so I'm not sure whether this limitation is a feature of my new card or if it's true for all riders. Can anyone enlighten me?

Posted on: 2014/1/14 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I purchased mine online the day it was announced and it arrived last night. It comes in a nice plastic travel carrier. I don't take PATH everyday but thought this might be a nice souvenir.

Quote:

PattyMayo wrote:
Has anyone purchased the Super Bowl SmartLink Card? Is there an option on the machine for the Super Bowl card, or is the machine one dispensing the SB cards until each location runs out?

Posted on: 2014/1/14 19:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/11 18:59
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone purchased the Super Bowl SmartLink Card? Is there an option on the machine for the Super Bowl card, or is the machine one dispensing the SB cards until each location runs out?

Posted on: 2014/1/14 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote: ...That's the whole problem with the PATH- there is NO mechanism for accountability...

Well, the old "Hudson & Manhattan Railroad" was aquired by the PA (which, if Wikipedia is accurate, didn't want it in the first place...) - maybe riders should start a campaign to have the MTA buy PATH and add it to their system.

Historically, there was a planned connection to the Lexington Avenue subway line so this may not be so far-fetched http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PATH_original_plan.png

Posted on: 2013/12/30 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dwtnguys wrote:
So I have lived here six years and take the PATH train into Manhattan every day. I have been wanting to ask anyone who may know...... I often notice that when the train leaves Christopher, the conductor/or person who opens the doors, leaves the door control area, walks thru a usually crowded train and enters the engineer/driver's room. Often, If I am at the front, I can hear them talking about their weekends, laughing..etc. Then just before the train arrives at Newport, this person is rushing to get to the controls to open the doors. Now here is my question, does this make anyone riding the train uncomfortable? Is this ok under PATH protocol? Am I being paranoid? Anything could happen and the person most likely to address whatever happens is behind a locked door. Please chime in. I was thinking I could record it, but wasn't sure I should. Thank you. Be nice...

I doubt it's a problem - any of us who have been at their jobs for a while have the "routine" down pat and have honed their senses for anything that's "not right" with their surroundings.

Posted on: 2013/12/30 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I don't begrudge the conductors a little interaction to break up their day. In a real emergency they are just going to call the cops. The driver is in charge of safely driving the train and I don't think a conversation would distract them too much from that duty. If something criminal occurs the conductor is not going to intervene or fight with criminals. That's really not their job nor are they trained for that. Years ago I saw a fight on the 33rd Street platform. The conductor seemed disinterested to those there but he had in fact already summoned the police who arrived a minute later and arrested the assailant.

Posted on: 2013/12/28 17:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/14 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
So I have lived here six years and take the PATH train into Manhattan every day. I have been wanting to ask anyone who may know...... I often notice that when the train leaves Christopher, the conductor/or person who opens the doors, leaves the door control area, walks thru a usually crowded train and enters the engineer/driver's room. Often, If I am at the front, I can hear them talking about their weekends, laughing..etc. Then just before the train arrives at Newport, this person is rushing to get to the controls to open the doors. Now here is my question, does this make anyone riding the train uncomfortable? Is this ok under PATH protocol? Am I being paranoid? Anything could happen and the person most likely to address whatever happens is behind a locked door. Please chime in. I was thinking I could record it, but wasn't sure I should. Thank you. Be nice...

Posted on: 2013/12/28 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The MTA provides bus service when its trains are out (for example when then 7 was closed on weekends).

And when the 7 was closed on weekends, Queens pols were going nuts.

OTOH- Christie orders lanes to the GW closed to punish the mayor of Fort Lee for not endorsing him.

That's the whole problem with the PATH- there is NO mechanism for accountability. Hudson County is written off as a Democratic base, many of the people in JC and Hoboken are not registered to vote there or even in NJ at all- no one cares. Where was Christie, where was Healy (or Zimmer), where was Sires, where were Lautenberg and Menendez (who lives in Hoboken)...nowhere when the PATH was shut for months...no one wants to bite the hand that feeds and the PA is a big time federal and union slush fund that claims to run the WTC, bridges, and PATH.

The Port Authority should be completely abolished and the PATH given local authority by NYC, JC, Hoboken, Harrison and Newark mayors. Perhaps fold in the HBLR. Leave the bridges and tunnels to the states.

And $2.75 is a disgrace...one that Christie and Cuomo signed off on. Damn those teachers, but the PA has a 31M "profit" that doesn't go into the PATH.

And C train...haha...the worst MTA line. Granted PATH is cleaner and doesn't reek of piss. I'd take the piss smell and no 35 minute gap between trains.

Posted on: 2013/12/26 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
I have a lot of friends who live in brooklyn who find themselves stranded in their neighborhood because the L or F is not running on the wknds for repairs.

Exactly! I grew up in Williamsburg BK and the J train never worked on weekends since I was 19 years old and repairs are still not done. My brother and his girl still live there and I always have to be picked up on weekends near the Williamsburg bridge when visiting or if its nice enough day I can walk across. Such bullshi

Posted on: 2013/12/23 23:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
I have a lot of friends who live in brooklyn who find themselves stranded in their neighborhood because the L or F is not running on the wknds for repairs. Granted they have the option to take cabs but that never happens with the Path.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 23:39

Re: PATH currently suspended 12/20 8:45 AM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
You know, the PATH may have all its problems and the fare increases may be rather upsetting, but having lived in the Washington, DC area, the reliability of the PATH far outshines the Metro system. The PATH (and MTA for that matter) has been far more reliable for commuting than the days I used the Metro system in Washington, DC. What a joke that system was, breaking down just about every single day. "Sick passenger", whatever that meant, was a common reason for delays on the trains, and when one train line had delays it often wreaked havoc on the whole system. The PATH and MTA systems have their issues, but "sick passenger" causing the whole system to be delayed is a rarity from what I've seen.

The same goes for the MTA in Boston, and the commuter trains between Providence and Boston. Only recently has the T run past 1 AM which just encouraged drunk driving (the only alternative to get home being a $$$ cab ride).

Posted on: 2013/12/23 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I had a friend visiting from Flushing this weekend. Her commuting options are the 7 train or the LIRR. We took the PATH several times and she couldn't get over how clean the stations and trains were. It's all about perspective, I guess.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You know, the PATH may have all its problems and the fare increases may be rather upsetting, but having lived in the Washington, DC area, the reliability of the PATH far outshines the Metro system. The PATH (and MTA for that matter) has been far more reliable for commuting than the days I used the Metro system in Washington, DC. What a joke that system was, breaking down just about every single day. "Sick passenger", whatever that meant, was a common reason for delays on the trains, and when one train line had delays it often wreaked havoc on the whole system. The PATH and MTA systems have their issues, but "sick passenger" causing the whole system to be delayed is a rarity from what I've seen.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
I have former NY neighbors who just moved to JC over the summer. They can't wait to move back to NY after their lease is up.

They LOATHE the PATH especially on weekends.

There have been friends who left Jersey City for NY in the past because they hate the PATH service. Constantly suspending or delays. PATH is what's driving people to leave Jersey City in droves.

So many For Rent signs going up. People are fed up with PATH. Brooklyn is getting Ex-Jersey City moving there. My friends so relieved they don't have to deal with PATH!

How awful it is when PATH is the reason for so many people leaving and not the neighborhood. SMDH!!!

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The ultimate kicker is that these frequent fare increases are a direct result of the need to fund the WTC construction.

The Port Authority needs to either commit to the commercial real estate business or commit to the transportation business. It cannot properly serve the public if it is directly involved in both.

Mayor Fulop has said that his goal is to continue to make Jersey City a better alternative to the outer boroughs. Going to be a bit of a hard sell when JC's subway system costs riders more than MTA subway, with less frequent service after 7 pm, and can only take you to 6 stations in all of Manhattan.

I believe the lawsuit against the Port Authority that Fulop is spearheading includes Path service issues as a major factor. I'd like to see Steve come out very publicly to voice his opinion on this and to publicly shame the Port Authority. I'd also like to see Christie or Cuomo speak out on this in some way. The Port Authority needs to hand over the Path.

Sorry I don't buy it, if this was the case prices dtjc would be falling and rents would be at a ll time lo. DTJC and Hoboken broke sales records for condos just a month ago.... No one is leaving except the friends you keep and IMO I am glad to see them go.. I like the Path and if it should go out of service then you should have a back up plan to get to and from the city, I do. I take the ferry or the bus and a few times I have car pooled. Anyway in other path news.

Port Authority ramping up service to ease holiday traveling

In an effort to make holiday traveling easier, the Port Authority has announced a number of initiatives.

PATH service will be increased as needed prior to the evening peak schedule on Christmas Eve and additional late evening and overnight PATH services will be provided to riders planning on attending New Year?s Eve events in Times Square, the agency said.

Also, PATH trains will operate on a Saturday schedule on Christmas and New Year?s days.

Other measures include:

? Additional customer service representatives at area airports and a full complement of toll collectors at area bridges and tunnels;

? Welcome centers at area airports to provide information about ground transportation, hotels and other information, and discounts on standard airport parking rates at Kennedy and Newark Liberty;

? The cancellation of all holiday construction on local bridges and tunnels.

Bus travelers should allow extra travel time because of heavier-than-normal delays expected at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, officials said.

JJ

Posted on: 2013/12/22 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
So many For Rent signs going up. People are fed up with PATH. Brooklyn is getting Ex-Jersey City moving there. My friends so relieved they don't have to deal with PATH!

How awful it is when PATH is the reason for so many people leaving and not the neighborhood. SMDH!!!

where are all these for rent signs? I have a friend looking for a place.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Unless there becomes a viable option to crossing the Hudson, other than the $6 one-way ferry ride, the Port Authority will continue to have it's stranglehold on the public. The PA will bring this city to it's knees. If you lived in Brooklyn, you would at least have the option of freely riding your bike over a bridge.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
I have former NY neighbors who just moved to JC over the summer. They can't wait to move back to NY after their lease is up.

They LOATHE the PATH especially on weekends.

There have been friends who left Jersey City for NY in the past because they hate the PATH service. Constantly suspending or delays. PATH is what's driving people to leave Jersey City in droves.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The ultimate kicker is that these frequent fare increases are a direct result of the need to fund the WTC construction.

The Port Authority needs to either commit to the commercial real estate business or commit to the transportation business. It cannot properly serve the public if it is directly involved in both.

Mayor Fulop has said that his goal is to continue to make Jersey City a better alternative to the outer boroughs. Going to be a bit of a hard sell when JC's subway system costs riders more than MTA subway, with less frequent service after 7 pm, and can only take you to 6 stations in all of Manhattan.

I believe the lawsuit against the Port Authority that Fulop is spearheading includes Path service issues as a major factor. I'd like to see Steve come out very publicly to voice his opinion on this and to publicly shame the Port Authority. I'd also like to see Christie or Cuomo speak out on this in some way. The Port Authority needs to hand over the Path.

Posted on: 2013/12/21 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
It's been pissing me off PATH suspensions and delays have been more frequent than not! They just increased the fare and we get this sheeeeeeeety service.

I had to use the ferry just to make it on time for work to NYC! Ferry ain't cheap with this economy slump and stagnant salary, folks!

Greedy @zz Executives pocketing the money while commuters suffers!

Posted on: 2013/12/21 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/21 17:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
+100

There is a serious lack of accountability at PATH regarding all of the system outages and signal issues.

Also, haven't seen any updates re: Grove St Station elevator or ramp accessibility since 2011, when a Fed judge ordered PATH to bring the station into compliance with the Americans w Disabilities Act...

Would be nice to see some action or loud inquiries from public officials. This is a huge quality of life issue for JC residents and its only going to get worse w all of the new developments going up.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
If the Path fare passes the MTA subway fare in cost, we have a serious problem and the Port Authority should be publicly shamed.

Posted on: 2013/12/21 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
If the Path fare passes the MTA subway fare in cost, we have a serious problem and the Port Authority should be publicly shamed.

September 2014. It's already scheduled.

$1.75 to $2.75 in 4 years.

Posted on: 2013/12/21 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Happens every morning at Grove. 33rd pulls out and you can see the lights from WTC approaching and vice versa. Trains departing one right after another.

This....actually does not happen.

I dunno about every morning, but I have often seen the lights of the next train those couple of blocks behind the departing one during rush hour. In fact, the last time I noticed it was this past Thursday - WTC train departed, 33rd right behind it

Agree - I'm usually on the platform at Grove at about 8:30 and it's rare that I don't see the lights of the next train.

Posted on: 2013/12/21 10:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/21 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Never really have too much of a problem when this happens. Trick is to download the NY waterways ferry app, make sure you always have a couple available tickets pre-purchased on there. This way you don't have to wait on the ridiculous ticket line for people who don't purchase through the app and you don't have to fight a crashing app when 80,000 more people are on there during a PATH suspension.
Grove PATH was swamped just took a 10 min walk to Paulus Hook and hoped on the ferry after waiting 5 minutes. Was only 15 minutes late to work. No problem, did it for 3 months after sandy.

Posted on: 2013/12/21 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Quote:

Happens every morning at Grove. 33rd pulls out and you can see the lights from WTC approaching and vice versa. Trains departing one right after another.

I dunno about every morning, but I have often seen the lights of the next train those couple of blocks behind the departing one during rush hour. In fact, the last time I noticed it was this past Thursday - WTC train departed, 33rd right behind it

Posted on: 2013/12/21 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
more trains = more costs = more $ you have to pay

Sad to see some people do not pass their thoughts through their brains before it comes out of their mouths.

As opposed to "same trains = more costs = more $ we have to pay"

Have you not noticed the increase in PATH fare in the last three years? And the planned fare hike to $2.75 (!!!!!!!!) in September?

Posted on: 2013/12/21 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
For what it's worth, whatever signal system the MTA uses allows them to run trains MUCH closer together than the PATH ever has, as far as I know. Just about every morning, I catch the A or C at Chambers, and very often if you just missed the closing doors and the train is pulling out of the station, you can look down the track and see the next train approaching.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
if it means a higher volume of trains, then add my voice to the rant.

Sad to see some people do not pass their thoughts through their brains before it comes out of their mouths.

Yea, like how we're paying more for trains running every 35 minutes and constant outages... that's paying more for getting more, right?

Posted on: 2013/12/20 19:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
if it means a higher volume of trains, then add my voice to the rant.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 19:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
For what it's worth, whatever signal system the MTA uses allows them to run trains MUCH closer together than the PATH ever has, as far as I know. Just about every morning, I catch the A or C at Chambers, and very often if you just missed the closing doors and the train is pulling out of the station, you can look down the track and see the next train approaching.

The PATH is far from great but they do manage to run very frequent trains during rush hour considering the limited # of tracks and terminals. It would be nice if that was the case on weekends as well but unfortunately its not yet.

By the way, the C train is horrendous. Constantly delayed and the trains are 50 years old, falling apart and filled with bums. It manages to come only every 10 min or so even during rush hour so I'm not sure how you could look at it in a positive light.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 19:11

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017