Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: JC schools worse than Newark?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
There are very few nations with better education results. Many of those countries, Japan, China, etc, do not factor in special needs children, like we do.

US education is at best average, despite being near top in spending...

From: http://www.oecd.org/pisa/keyfindings/PISA-2012-results-US.pdf

Quote:

Key findings
? Among the 34 OECD countries, the United States performed below average in mathematics in 2012 and is ranked 26th (this is the best estimate, although the rank could be between 23 and 29 due to sampling and measurement error). Performance in reading and science are both close to the OECD average. The United States ranks 17 in reading, (range of ranks: 14 to 20) and 21 in science (range of ranks: 17 to 25). There has been no significant change in these performances over time.
? Mathematics scores for the top-performer, Shanghai-China, indicate a performance that is the equivalent of over two years of formal schooling ahead of those observed in Massachusetts, itself a strong-performing U.S. state.
? While the U.S. spends more per student than most countries, this does not translate into better performance. For example, the Slovak Republic, which spends around USD 53 000 per student, performs at the same level as the United States, which spends over USD 115 000 per student.
? Just over one in four U.S. students do not reach the PISA baseline Level 2 of mathematics proficiency ? a higher-than-OECD average proportion and one that hasn?t changed since 2003. At the opposite end of the proficiency scale, the U.S. has a below-average share of top performers.
? Students in the United States have particular weaknesses in performing mathematics tasks with higher cognitive demands, such as taking real-world situations, translating them into mathematical terms, and interpreting mathematical aspects in real-world problems. An alignment study between
the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and PISA suggests that a successful implementation of the Common Core Standards would yield significant performance gains also in
PISA.
? Socio-economic background has a significant impact on student performance in the United States, with some 15% of the variation in student performance explained by this, similar to the OECD average. Although this impact has weakened over time, disadvantaged students show less engagement, drive, motivation and self-beliefs.
? Students in the U.S. are largely satisfied with their school and view teacher-student relations positively. But they do not report strong motivation towards learning mathematics: only 50% students agreed that they are interested in learning mathematics, slightly below the OECD average of 53%.

Posted on: 2013/12/29 9:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know some teachers in the JC public school system. They constantly are telling me of the crime that goes on in the public schools, especially the high schools. Children are afraid to use the restrooms. If you are not in a safe environment, it will affect test scores. The crime stats in schools should be published along with test scores.

If the answer is more security in schools it's an easy fix. It's much harder to get parents to help kids with homework at home, make sure they complete their assignments, and attend parent/teacher conferences.

Posted on: 2013/12/29 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I know some teachers in the JC public school system. They constantly are telling me of the crime that goes on in the public schools, especially the high schools. Children are afraid to use the restrooms. If you are not in a safe environment, it will affect test scores. The crime stats in schools should be published along with test scores.

Posted on: 2013/12/29 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Given the relative income range of people along with population size, it absolutely should be expected that the state assist in the spending. It's silly to suggest otherwise.

In regards to which is better... the difference is negligible. It is something that absolutely must improve if you are to get more families here.

Quick research turns up the US spends the most (or at least in the top percentile world wide) per pupil as opposed to other countries; yet as a % of GDP, the US spends comparatively little compared to other countries.

I would be curious how other countries - especially those with better educational results - fund K-12 education. Could a part of the problem be the US reliance of property tax levies to fund education?

There are very few nations with better education results. Many of those countries, Japan, China, etc, do not factor in special needs children, like we do.

As others have pointed out, education begins in the home. The questions should be about how to address the home life...

Posted on: 2013/12/27 22:01
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Given the relative income range of people along with population size, it absolutely should be expected that the state assist in the spending. It's silly to suggest otherwise.

In regards to which is better... the difference is negligible. It is something that absolutely must improve if you are to get more families here.

Quick research turns up the US spends the most (or at least in the top percentile world wide) per pupil as opposed to other countries; yet as a % of GDP, the US spends comparatively little compared to other countries.

I would be curious how other countries - especially those with better educational results - fund K-12 education. Could a part of the problem be the US reliance of property tax levies to fund education?

Posted on: 2013/12/27 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Just to note, those districts received supplemental funding from taxpayers outside their own towns to the tune of over $2,535,000,000. Yes, over $2.5 BILLION dollars of the cost of those children's education came from other NJ taxpayers. In 2011-2012 alone-yes, for one year.

And these were the results we got for this. Clearly, throwing more money can't solve the problems.

What exactly is - or should be - the metric for success in terms of school spending? I checked the link to the district spending per pupil, and came up with these numbers:

Trenton - $20,407/pupil
JC - $22,273/pupil
Newark - $23,160/pupil

In a state where the average is $18,000/pupil, JC is above average, yet seems to achieve a better graduation rate compared to Trenton, which spends somewhat less.

Posted on: 2013/12/27 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

It's silly, of course, that it's court mandated by an activist NJ State Supreme Court, but has proven to be almost worthless in its results.

I'll repeat; 2.5 billion dollars spent just in one year on just these ten schools with such poor graduation rates. It's not the state's fault, the taxpayers either-because no amount of money will improve these numbers. I'm not going to research how much more money went towards the 21 other Abbott schools, or how many billions and billions have been wasted since 1985 when this became a court ordered mandate but the number surely is staggering.

Yes, "activist judge" also known as "Judge that rules the way you personally don't want them to rule."

The military has an expression: You are only as strong as your weakest link.

There a lot of people that can learn from that...

No, activist judges who disregard the laws and make new ones themselves-like allowing the Democrats to replace Torricelli in his Senate race with 35 days before the election, when state law says it can only be done 51 days before. (Which was when the polls showed he was going to lose because of his ethics violations).

Posted on: 2013/12/27 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

It's silly, of course, that it's court mandated by an activist NJ State Supreme Court, but has proven to be almost worthless in its results.

I'll repeat; 2.5 billion dollars spent just in one year on just these ten schools with such poor graduation rates. It's not the state's fault, the taxpayers either-because no amount of money will improve these numbers. I'm not going to research how much more money went towards the 21 other Abbott schools, or how many billions and billions have been wasted since 1985 when this became a court ordered mandate but the number surely is staggering.

Yes, "activist judge" also known as "Judge that rules the way you personally don't want them to rule."

The military has an expression: You are only as strong as your weakest link.

There a lot of people that can learn from that...

Posted on: 2013/12/27 15:41
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Education begins in the household.

Posted on: 2013/12/26 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/24 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/23 22:46
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
We were talking about Newark and Jersey City. I missed the bit where you decided to change topic to include top ten.

Fail.

You posted a top ten list of the worst graduation rates in NJ; my response was to the failed state aid in total among those ten.

The title of the thread and most of the discussion was around JC vs Newark, not top 10. Hence the confusion. I also posted a link to the entire state spending map.

Not a big deal. The numbers say the same thing. If you consider graduation failures as a wasted education, NJ is wasting billions of dollars every year.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
We were talking about Newark and Jersey City. I missed the bit where you decided to change topic to include top ten.

Fail.

You posted a top ten list of the worst graduation rates in NJ; my response was to the failed state aid in total among those ten.

I guess it would be an interesting exercise to see who had worse results for money spent per pupil vs graduation rates re: JC vs Newark, but as someone subsidizing both I'll leave it up to you!

Posted on: 2013/12/23 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Fail.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Just to note, those districts received supplemental funding from taxpayers outside their own towns to the tune of over $2,535,000,000. Yes, over $2.5 BILLION dollars of the cost of those children's education came from other NJ taxpayers. In 2011-2012 alone-yes, for one year.

And these were the results we got for this. Clearly, throwing more money can't solve the problems.

The grand total spent for Newark and JC combined 2011-12 was under $1.7 billion, some of which is funded by local and federal dollars. How did you arrive at $2.5 billion?

$661,261,323 - JC
$1,003,365,545 - Newark

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/13 ... /mapping-school-spending/

I agree though that it appears to be money wasted.

Check the state site below, it tells you for each school the total spending, and breaks down by percentage the funding by state, Federal, and local taxes. Then just multiply. Newark is easy, round it off to a billion and the state funds them at the rate of 81.4%, so NJ taxpayers paid 814 million in support. (I'm excluding that Newark taxpayers also contribute to that sum by paying some of it themselves in income and sales taxes). So it took me about five minutes to go to each town on the list and add up that information to come up with $2.5 billion. Just in one year!

http://www.state.nj.us/education/guide/2013/district.shtml

I entered Newark City and got:
2011-12 Total Spending: $1,003,365,545

I then entered Jersey City and got:
2011-12 Total Spending: $661,261,323

That took me about 30 secs.

The original JJ comparison was between these two districts: Newark City and Jersey City...

WORST 10 SCHOOL DISTRICT GRADUATION RATES
1. TRENTON CITY? 48.6%
2. ASBURY PARK CITY? 50.7%
3. CAMDEN CITY? 53.4%
4. PERTH AMBOY CITY? 59%
5. IRVINGTON TOWNSHIP? 60.3%
6. NEW BRUNSWICK CITY? 60.7%
7. ATLANTIC CITY? 67.2%
8. JERSEY CITY? 67.5%
9. NEWARK CITY? 67.7%
10. BRIDGETON CITY? 68.4%

You were educated in NJ?

Jeez. Look at the link (which was also in the link you linked) and look at the numbers that spell out the funding by state, Federal, and local taxes. You then take the total amount, multiply by the percentage provided by the state, to come up with total of state aid per school.

Here is JC. So JC spent $661 million in 2011-2012. NJ paid 76.2%. Multiply 661 by .762 to find out the total money spent. Do that with the other 9 cities with the worst graduation rates to come up with the $2.5 billion.

Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending 2013 >CSG Home

District: JERSEY CITY (2390)
Operating Type K-12 / 3501 + Pupils
County: HUDSON Operating Type K-12 / 3501 + Pupils Summary:
State Level Summary:
Total Spending Per Pupil (Definition)
2010-11 Total Spending: $643,441,251
2010-11 Average Daily Enroll plus Sent Pupils: 28,728.5
2010-11 Costs Amount per Pupil: $22,397
2010-11 Costs Rank Within Group per Pupil: 101
2011-12 Average Daily Enroll plus Sent Pupils: 29,688.6
2011-12 Costs Amount per Pupil: $22,273
2011-12 Costs Rank Within Group per Pupil: 95
Summary of Vital Statistics (Definition)
2011-12 Total Spending Per Pupil: $22,273
Revenue Sources, State: 76.2%
Revenue Sources, Local Taxes: 16.2%
Revenue Sources, Federal: 7.6%
Revenue Sources, Tuition: 0%
Revenue Sources, Use of Fund Balance: 0%
Revenue Sources, Other: 0%
Fall 2011 Certified Staff:
Student/Teacher Ratio: 10.7
Student/Support Ratio: 70.9
Student/Administrator Ratio: 161.1
10/15/11 % of Classified Students to Total Students: 10.3%

Posted on: 2013/12/22 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

The grand total spent for Newark and JC combined 2011-12 was under $1.7 billion, some of which is funded by local and federal dollars. How did you arrive at $2.5 billion?

$661,261,323 - JC
$1,003,365,545 - Newark

Check the state site below, it tells you for each school the total spending, and breaks down by percentage the funding by state, Federal, and local taxes. Then just multiply. Newark is easy, round it off to a billion and the state funds them at the rate of 81.4%, so NJ taxpayers paid 814 million in support. (I'm excluding that Newark taxpayers also contribute to that sum by paying some of it themselves in income and sales taxes). So it took me about five minutes to go to each town on the list and add up that information to come up with $2.5 billion. Just in one year!

I entered Newark City and got:
2011-12 Total Spending: $1,003,365,545

I then entered Jersey City and got:

That took me about 30 secs.

The original JJ comparison was between these two districts: Newark City and Jersey City...

WORST 10 SCHOOL DISTRICT GRADUATION RATES
1. TRENTON CITY? 48.6%
2. ASBURY PARK CITY? 50.7%
3. CAMDEN CITY? 53.4%
4. PERTH AMBOY CITY? 59%
5. IRVINGTON TOWNSHIP? 60.3%
6. NEW BRUNSWICK CITY? 60.7%
7. ATLANTIC CITY? 67.2%
8. JERSEY CITY? 67.5%
9. NEWARK CITY? 67.7%
10. BRIDGETON CITY? 68.4%

You were educated in NJ?

Posted on: 2013/12/22 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

$661,261,323 - JC
$1,003,365,545 - Newark

Posted on: 2013/12/22 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

$661,261,323 - JC
$1,003,365,545 - Newark

Posted on: 2013/12/22 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/22 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does JC or Newark give out condoms in schools or is the morning after pill available to students? I went to high school in Brooklyn and both were available. Maybe this might help with the poverty....

Posted on: 2013/12/22 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Alternatively, does the social situation of some of the poor offset the effects of poverty? For example: Are more poor children in two parent households? Are more the children of recent immigrants who have not yet established themelves economically? Are more poor children a part of extended families whose economic and social support are not reflected in tax returns or other stats? Just tossing out some alternatives that may (or may not) matter.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For me the interesting stat was poverty: 30.2% in JC vs 36.7% in Newark. That's 20% more kids below the poverty line in Newark. Spending on ed is comparable. Is Newark doing more with less? Is the Zuckerberg donation making a difference?

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/13 ... tion-for-newark-s-future/

Posted on: 2013/12/22 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Newark has several magnet public high schools, including an early college option with Bard. Excluding McNair won't equalize the stats. Let's just say both numbers aren't very good.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
The difference is basically negligible.

Unless you assume that graduation rate for the McNair is close to 99%. If McNair is attended by about 10% of the JC students, the average graduation rate for the rest would be about 64%.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
choisir entre la peste et le chol?ra

this reminded me of a favorite expression - to choose between the plague or cholera.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The difference is basically negligible.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 21:51