Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
81 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Heat requirements for rented property
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
If you go the "rent in escrow" route, you might consider it worthwhile to buy one of these $50 temperature loggers. It can create a record over a long period. I love mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Lascar-Electron ... ure-Logger/dp/B00074UZ4A/

Posted on: 2013/12/19 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I would definitely look into putting your rent into escrow until this is resolved.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

YouniqPilates wrote:
And yes, since the whole water deal - all the neighbours were in the lobby so we discussed heating.
People are cold but noone seems to be keen to fight it and they just oversleep in their place.

They are younger and think they must endure it.
We (not SO young) mostly work from home..oh, igloo.

Thank you everyone, you are really kind for all the engagement. It is so appreciated.
You know, at least our fog has an excuse to curl up with us wherever we are (silver lining in the fart cloud)
If I were in your position I'd be calling the mayor, the police, my councilman, state assemblyman, everyone. This is completely unacceptable. I hope nobody in your building is paying rent right now. You should have everyone in the building put their rent into an escrow account until he fixes the heat.

You have to be on this to the extent CatsandDogs suggests. They are breaking the law. And be sure you document all the spikes in your electric bill during this "outage". Keep on the Dept. of Health, also reach out to the Landlord/Tenant Relations office for advice. Talk to Charles Odei about your situation. He is very knowledgeable about you rights here and he should also be able to advise you as to what is and isn't an acceptable repair time frame, how to get reimbursement for your additional expenses (if allowed), etc.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

YouniqPilates wrote:
And yes, since the whole water deal - all the neighbours were in the lobby so we discussed heating.
People are cold but noone seems to be keen to fight it and they just oversleep in their place.

Thank you everyone, you are really kind for all the engagement. It is so appreciated.
You know, at least our fog has an excuse to curl up with us wherever we are (silver lining in the fart cloud)
If I were in your position I'd be calling the mayor, the police, my councilman, state assemblyman, everyone. This is completely unacceptable. I hope nobody in your building is paying rent right now. You should have everyone in the building put their rent into an escrow account until he fixes the heat.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
It is illegal and a fire hazard to run those oil heaters. Did you notify your landlord that you are doing this ? What kind of insurance liability do you currently have ?

where are you getting this (whackass) info?

oil-filled radiators are the safest space heaters available.
http://www.air-n-water.com/heater_safe.htm

they will, however, jack up your electric bill.

I thought they meant the non-electric kind like those kerosene burners. I know someone that used them years ago and there was a problem with it. You don't see the kerosene heaters in stores anymore at least not in urban/inner-city neighborhoods due to the liability factor.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 12:25
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/29 19:11
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/18 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone, it is in Regent street, building where Brewshot is and there are about 15 apartments per floor - and 8 floors.
Heating unit was checked and they claim it to be "fine". However, common sense says :" not fine - blooming cold".

They are on the way now to check it again. I assume Health Department gave ring as they were quite silent before. So will see.
Yes, electricity is expensive:(
We are not sure what our bill will be but we are getting ready for a minor coronary.

Thanks for the cocoa offer:) I actually baked whole lots of cookies and gave gifts to local business's to maintain the great community feel that I picked up on forums.. it is amazing how good always finds - good on the other end.

Off to holidays tomorrow but I may bake more so we all gather and discuss the freaking heating.
..70 degrees mentioned in the post - I believe I would wear sandals and white socks feeling like a Florida dude with that temperature:)

Hey, how are you with water guys:)

Posted on: 2013/12/18 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
As far as I've read, the OP has not checked with the neighboring units to see if they have similar problems. If they do, it's systemic as MDM proposes. If not, there's a problem in the unit's heat, the heat pump may be broken as SRia suggests, and you can get the JC Housing Dept involved to make the landlord take this serious. I had a tenant call them when the heat was "only" 70!

Curious: how many units in the building?

Posted on: 2013/12/18 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
It is illegal and a fire hazard to run those oil heaters. Did you notify your landlord that you are doing this ? What kind of insurance liability do you currently have ?

where are you getting this (whackass) info?

oil-filled radiators are the safest space heaters available.
http://www.air-n-water.com/heater_safe.htm

they will, however, jack up your electric bill.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Plus the Obama administration is forcing a lot of coal burning power plants offline so that will spike rates.

Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Interesting that electric is so expensive. i thought electric was getting cheaper. can you try wall blankets or something - they might be ugly but could help you save a bundle.

Electric rates have spiked. I saved a few hundred $ this year when I locked in rates a couple years back. If the offshore wind turbine project goes through, get ready to start paying rates that are charged in countries like Germany ($0.35+ per kWh).

The only thing that will work for the poster is to have the insulation fixed.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Cost to run a 1,500 Watt heater per hour: $0.26 (assumes an average of $0.17 per kWh)

Cost to get 1,500 Watts of heat from a gas boiler: roughly $0.07 (assumes 80% efficiency and doesn't include electric pump power and $1.05 per therm of gas).

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Could it be that the heating pump (or heating unit) is not working properly?
Quote:

YouniqPilates wrote:
I wasn't as angry as I am now:) You know..we just moved in - trying to be good tenants..bubble wrapping the place so we feel a bit like a FedEx package.
getting a heaters to prevent frostbites.

It is electric air fan heater. One says 59 as temperature reached and the other is on 43 now.

The air-conditioning is cranked up to 90 but it blows freakishly cold air so we keep it off.

I am telling you (stiff upper lip and joking about it) but toilet is the worst. I could keep groceries in

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
interesting, i have a friend who used to brag that electricity is cheaper than gas...i guess he was wrong big time!

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Interesting that electric is so expensive. i thought electric was getting cheaper. can you try wall blankets or something - they might be ugly but could help you save a bundle.

Electric rates have spiked. I saved a few hundred $ this year when I locked in rates a couple years back. If the offshore wind turbine project goes through, get ready to start paying rates that are charged in countries like Germany ($0.35+ per kWh).

The only thing that will work for the poster is to have the insulation fixed.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 13:54
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

YouniqPilates wrote:
I wasn't as angry as I am now:) You know..we just moved in - trying to be good tenants..bubble wrapping the place so we feel a bit like a FedEx package.

It is electric air fan heater. One says 59 as temperature reached and the other is on 43 now.

The air-conditioning is cranked up to 90 but it blows freakishly cold air so we keep it off.

I am telling you (stiff upper lip and joking about it) but toilet is the worst. I could keep groceries in

This makes me so upset, if I knew where you were I'd bring you some hot cocoa.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Electric heat: Get ready for a $1,000 a month utility bill.

Taking an educated guess: The building was built with metal studs with loose fitting fiberglass batts against a masonry wall. You are getting what is called thermal shorting coupled with a lot of air moving through the fiberglass batts. Essentially, you are being forced to try to heat the great outdoors.

If the other tenants are having the same problem, you might want to talk to them. The problem is solvable (albeit not cheaply).

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

YouniqPilates wrote:
Thank you! We read it and since we did not get any reply from management we contacted Health Dept.

Problem with that law is that it is applied to landlords who provide heat that is included in the bill. We pay our own heating - so landlord does not actually surlily the heat - but it does supply the appliances for the heat, which are - in this case - cold.

As they shrugged shoulders when we asked it to be "cranked up" or ANYTHING really, we do not expect an action except - waiting for the spring. In a meantime, our heating bill may be a disaster.

I highly suggest you seek legal advice. There is obviously something wrong with the building or the unit that is supposed to deliver heat to your apartment. Call city hall and ask to speak to someone 201-547-500. It really makes me upset to think that you are living this way and someone is continuing to collect money from you as though everything is okey-dokey.

There is a group in jersey city of just professionals that hang out and do events, volunteer and such. Many of them are lawyers, I would suggest reaching out to them on Facebook- Jersey City Ties. https://www.facebook.com/JerseyCityTies

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

YouniqPilates wrote:
Thank you! We read it and since we did not get any reply from management we contacted Health Dept.

Problem with that law is that it is applied to landlords who provide heat that is included in the bill. We pay our own heating -

Is it a high or mid rise?
Are you using air source heat pumps for heat or is it gas?

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you everyone for posting! Every one of your reply has been helpful - even for the thumbs up.

Thank you

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Problem with that law is that it is applied to landlords who provide heat that is included in the bill. We pay our own heating - so landlord does not actually surlily the heat - but it does supply the appliances for the heat, which are - in this case - cold.

As they shrugged shoulders when we asked it to be "cranked up" or ANYTHING really, we do not expect an action except - waiting for the spring. In a meantime, our heating bill may be a disaster.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a NJ handbook for these things:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/P ... Manuals/TenantsRights.pdf

Check pages 30 and 36. I think if it is under 60 degrees on a regular basis in you need to send your landlord a letter right away just for the record if you have any disputes later.

Some landlords can be a nightmare. I had an issue years ago where the water was shut off to my apartment because the landlord was negligent and only found out later that from that day I should not have been paying rent for each day if was off. In my experience, if it is not a matter that gets solved in a timely manner, seek legal advice.

Don't just put up with these things and suffer quietly, people will walk all over you given the chance. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We have renters insurance and we got those indoor oil heaters, yes.
We only run them when we are near. We do not even go to bathroom without plugging it from the wall. I have it now near my feet with nothing around and standing on couple of cookies - baking sheets.
It is like camping indoors.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
It is on the front page of the JC website at the bottom....

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It is a new construction.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Code issues aside:

assuming the landlord is actually running the heat and it is getting that cold....

There is a mistake often made in new construction that can make it so a building cannot hold heat (some buildings in Newport had/have this problem). Same with certain rehab work. The solution requires a building envelope retrofit.

If it is a large building in question, I can give the original poster a name that might be able to help out (assuming management is actually interesting in solving the problem).

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/10 17:47
Group:
Registered Users
All landlords must maintain certain day and night temperatures for the designated winter period. Can't recall the figures, but they are readily available (google it). New construction, 150 -year-old shack, it makes no difference. Be sure to put your concerns to the landlord/management in writing. Even a text will do. I am not a landlord-hater, simply stating city/state law.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/18 14:21
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
New Construction or a renovated older property?

Posted on: 2013/12/18 14:16

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017