Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: What does the future hold for The Heights?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Great thread.

After many years in DTJC, I bought in the Heights. For 1/4th less than a studio at Dixon Mills, I have a three bedroom condo, 11ft ceilings with crown molding, a recently remodeled bathroom/kitchen and a private 1000sqft backyard.

No amount of trendy restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, or farmers markets is worth cramming into a tiny box with no room to grow. As a late-20something looking to start a family soon, DTJC is out of the price range for the space needed and the Heights is the next logical step away while still staying relatively close to work. I surmise others who are just now discovering DTJC will choose to follow the route up the hill in the years ahead for the exact same reason.

edit: Oh, and I'm about 100ft above sea level now. Fuck you, flooding.

Good post !

Posted on: 2013/12/17 14:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Great thread.

After many years in DTJC, I bought in the Heights. For 1/4th less than a studio at Dixon Mills, I have a three bedroom condo, 11ft ceilings with crown molding, a recently remodeled bathroom/kitchen and a private 1000sqft backyard.

No amount of trendy restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, or farmers markets is worth cramming into a tiny box with no room to grow. As a late-20something looking to start a family soon, DTJC is out of the price range for the space needed and the Heights is the next logical step away while still staying relatively close to work. I surmise others who are just now discovering DTJC will choose to follow the route up the hill in the years ahead for the exact same reason.

edit: Oh, and I'm about 100ft above sea level now. Fuck you, flooding.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding smart changes at NJT, unfortunately I would say that they are far off.

It would be so freaking nice for the NY region to have one transportation authority, like seriously every other city in the world.

NJ is the only part of the region that seems to want to have its own separate system. CT and NY are serviced by MTA. NJ has NJtransit and is also serviced by Path, owned and operated by Port Authority, and we are all well aware of those challenges.

The question is why are there 3 systems??

Who is going to come into this region and reinvent the region's transportation infrastructure? Not likely to happen in our lifetime, but it would be mighty nice for at least the conversations to be had.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The reliance on the private (and lightly regulated) jitney system seems odd to me. Why is there no public transportation?

There is. Is it as easy as downtown? No but there are numerous buses that can take you around most of the city and Manhatten if need be.

If the public bus service were adequate, all the private jitneys would not be needed to duplicate bus routes.

And therein lies, IMO, a big piece of the 'problem' - NJ Transit buses are not adequate by many metrics. It's not that there are NOT buses in the Heights to/from Manhattan, DTJC, Hoboken, it's NJT's archaic and inconvenient system - no route maps posted, no schedules posted (luckily, the buses seem to be using GPS so when you text 'mybus' you get a real time schedule), and the ridiculous cash or paper ticket system. By comparison, the MTA train and bus system works together with transfers, the MetroCard.

This may be a topic for a separate thread, but what would it take to get some smart changes at NJT? Ideally, share MetroCard or Smart Card services. Along with that, there is the bigger issue of a lack of traffic planning in JC (the car owner/driver lobby at at work LOL?) From my corner at Franklin and Palisade, there are 3 buses - the 84, 86, 87 - to the PATH station into WTC. I've tried them all at rush hour, and only the 87 to JSQ is not hopelessly bogged down in traffic all the time.

P.S. - I'm really excited to hear about a new coffee shop! Not just for a better cup of Joe, but a great way to mingle with neighbors who similarly enjoy seeing new places open in the nabe.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 16:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/27 16:22
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

WILDONWEBSTER wrote:

btw --- GV is the hood :)

Said the guy with the white skin who moved from Hoboken to the Heights.

oh 'user' ? don't be so angry. A little tongue in cheek humor shouldn't be lost on such a such an opinionated, educated user as yourself.

Certainly no ill will intended -- you should be embracing the same ideas so as to continue the growth of your HOOD (in the kindest use of the terminology).

Bunny

Im not certain how the acquisition of a liquor license would go up hear but I certainly agree that it needs to be available ?
and I was curious about that little yellow restaurant -- I may go today!

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Mod Cup across from Riverview park is so exciting! I was wondering what was behind the papered windows! I've bought a condo here back in 2002, sold it and bought a 2-family Victorian in 2007 so I am all for gentrification. My home is also an investment.
When I first moved here, NOONE had any interest in the heights. Now, everyone knows someone--or several people--who already live here and it makes the move easier for the former Hobokenites, New Yorkers etc...A cute little yellow restuarant on Bower Street (a block from Riverview) called restaurant 51 just opened. It used to be vacants so it's nice to see some life there vs boarded up windows. It's a very slow process though. We had a Churritos once on Central but it closed so it's hard to get too excited by new business but let's hope that Olive and Orange and Mod Cup turn a nice profit. Can you get a liquor license for the Palisade Avenue stretch across from Riverview? It seems that would be needed for real Skinner's Loft type restauranteur..

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
gv might have a little hood in it, but it is definitely not the hood imo.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WILDONWEBSTER wrote:

Said the guy with the white skin who moved from Hoboken to the Heights.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 12:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/27 16:22
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I for one am very very happy to see this thread ..

Debate will most certainly go no where on this board but it is most certainly healthy.

While the comments and points are valid there are no actions out of this ? To point out Orange and Olive caterers is solid; it is a risky operation ? I for one would have loved to have seen this developed on Palisade. We should be proud that this is happening anywhere in the Heights, but to be frank it is Palisade that needs it ? as I echo that sentiment. Yes, the rezoning has occurred, but their is no one enticing the "restauranteur" up here.

That is what it will take.

Cheers to the boys at Mod Cup -- they are opening up across from Riverview Fisk in the old realtor office ? and yes, we need a coffee shop.. I would love to never have to walk into the McDonalds again.

So who else will take the plunge. My wife and I bought in one of the zones some posters referred to as within "15 minutes of JSQUARE" We are beyond thrilled with out neighborhood. I ride my bike to JS and and can be in midtown in under 30 minutes. Walking only adds a solid ten minutes to that (Sorry, just thought it was required for me to share my commuting time on this thread)

We have fantastic neighbors off all ages and race. I love to retell the story of when we had just moved in and I met a neighbor who has lived here since the 50's and he said to me, flatly, "theres a lot more people like you moving up here" ?referencing, undoubtedly our white skin and 28-35 age bracket.

Trolley is as close to us as Maxwells was when we lived in Hoboken (and Maxwells was still cool) ? we have a variety of hole in the wall spots to discover. As I said though, who takes the plunge. Who buys the building(s) on Palisade and builds the 'Skinners Loft' or 'Marco & Pepe' that could easily be described as the catalyst of DT development.

The city needs to pay attention. I met a certain celebrity designer at the market last weekend and while she and her BF live mighty close to JSquare, thought still the heights, her question to me was "When will the heights be cool?" ? I simply said "It already is" ? no one "outside" really knows it yet.

We moved up here to escape the costs of Hoboken, we couldn't afford DT and we got lucky when we found and bought our home in The Heights -- I only hope we see the positive development of our neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I know the Heights has one light rail station but is that enough to service the entire area? IMO NO!

If you're counting the 9th Street (Congress) station as a Heights light rail station, then you might as well count 2nd Street as a Heights light rail station. Neither is technically in the Heights. But I agree with your point, it is still not enough to service the entire area.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
People on buses tend to be much better behaved than people on trains, although in my experience it ran about 10% more expensive for my particular commute from another town into Manhattan.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I just prefer trains to buses and the Heights will appeal to people who don't mind buses.

No offense, but I think you are on the extreme end of bus phobic. I've met far more people who are the opposite and won't take trains. Totally amazingly, there's a lot of them in Manhattan!

BTW, your precious HBLR takes only 7 minutes to the PATH from Congress, vs 23 minutes from MLK. The bus to PA would be there in 20, all according to GoogleMaps.

No offense taking, everyone is different. My mom likes to take buses just like most older ladies in Manhattan. FYI MLK HBLR is in Bergen Lafayette which I do not live. I take the Richard st station which is 11 min to Exchange Place Path.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I just prefer trains to buses and the Heights will appeal to people who don't mind buses.

No offense, but I think you are on the extreme end of bus phobic. I've met far more people who are the opposite and won't take trains. Totally amazingly, there's a lot of them in Manhattan!

BTW, your precious HBLR takes only 7 minutes to the PATH from Congress, vs 23 minutes from MLK. The bus to PA would be there in 20, all according to GoogleMaps.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
In my book transportation trumps, farmers markets, wine tastings and yoga.

Then how do you account for Red Hook, which is in the butt end of nowhere and has crappy transit except in the east side? The Red Hook waterfront is about as far from the subway as Riverview Park is from the PATH.

There is transit in Red Hook Brooklyn The F and G trains, but besides that Red Hook unlike "The Heights" "GV" and "DTJC" is in New York where most people want to be.

Yes, I know about the F & G trains, they're the ones I referred to, being a half hour walk from the waterfront. So transportation trumps all, except for a Brooklyn address? For some, no doubt. But for others whose lifestyle is less based on constantly going out in NYC, the transit can be good enough, especially for those who work anywhere near the PA bus terminal, or work in Hudson County, and can skip the PATH altogether.

Agreed, however If I worked in NJ I would skip Jersey City all together. but that's just me. I only use my car if I really, really have to. I just prefer trains to buses and the Heights will appeal to people who don't mind buses.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Then how do you account for Red Hook, which is in the butt end of nowhere and has crappy transit except in the east side? The Red Hook waterfront is about as far from the subway as Riverview Park is from the PATH.

There is transit in Red Hook Brooklyn The F and G trains, but besides that Red Hook unlike "The Heights" "GV" and "DTJC" is in New York where most people want to be.

Yes, I know about the F & G trains, they're the ones I referred to, being a half hour walk from the waterfront. So transportation trumps all, except for a Brooklyn address? For some, no doubt. But for others whose lifestyle is less based on constantly going out in NYC, the transit can be good enough, especially for those who work anywhere near the PA bus terminal, or work in Hudson County, and can skip the PATH altogether.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

My last apt in NYC where I lived was near 11th ave I did not mind it so much because I walked to work and took cabs during late nights so I really did not need a train as much.

New York folks especially natives at least the ones I know and myself included who work and play in NYC prefer living somewhat near a station.

There are so many areas in JC that are interesting ,beautiful and would be great only if there was a train near by. I am not a person who goes to work and comes back to JC and stays in for the night, I tend to come home shower, and go back into the city for a night on the town, especially on Thursdays.

I looked at a place on Astor pl here in JC a few years ago and loved the block, the house but there was no trains near by within walking distance, just buses. NO thanks!

Posted on: 2013/12/15 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/15 20:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/28 21:45
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
We finally went to the Trolley Car Bar and Grill yesterday. It was quite nice-I guess we have 1 decent bar within stumbling distance (for when people visit). Now if some enterprising soul was willing to open a coffee shop on the way to the Congress light rail...maybe those Yoga in the Heights women will oblige at some point.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
My question is... as the town transforms, or gentrifies, where are all of the people being displaced supposed to go? Is NYC and its surrounding areas of the outer boroughs and northern NJ just one day going to become unaffordable/overdeveloped for most?

North Carolina? or any where south. IMO anywhere near transportation is only going to get more expensive. People on this board where crying hysterically when the Path was out during Sandy because the reality is without the Path most of the people dtjc would not be there, without the lightrailI would not be here. Transportation rules in the metro area.

As more people are searching for affordable dwellings they are also taking more risk on places like Bed-stuy, BL, GV etc.

If you were lucky enough to buy dtjc in the 80's that risk paid off. Thank gd most people do not take those risk, most like to wait until its totally gentrified before jumping in.

When I first moved here to the south side rents were $700 back in 2011 but now they are renting units for $1200 and this is suppose to be the "hood" as many on here like to call it. These units are not on tree line side streets these units are on MLK and Ocean ave. The truth is if you do not own your home you can expect to pay more rent since property taxes are not going down. So moving south maybe the best option for affordable housing.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 14:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
My question is... as the town transforms, or gentrifies, where are all of the people being displaced supposed to go? Is NYC and its surrounding areas of the outer boroughs and northern NJ just one day going to become unaffordable/overdeveloped for most?

Posted on: 2013/12/15 14:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights will change, just like every neighborhood will change. Squabbling about whether the change is faster or better than in Greenville or anywhere else is impossibly silly.
The transportation complaints and lack of a train have been a non-issue for both myself and my husband over the last 9 years. I commute to NYC every day and get to my desk in 45 minutes door to door, and there are multiple ways to do it. Unlike all of downtown, I get to continue taking the Path through Hoboken. If and when all of this Journal Square development happens, everyone in downtown will be wishing for buses because there won't be a square inch left for them to get onto the trains.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well black and Latino neighborhoods usually gentrify in the metro area quickly because historically public transportation is not opposed when its offered within the neighborhood.

Greenville has had transportation (Lightrail) since 2001 and neighborhoods around Danforth, Richard, Garfield and Liberty State Park (which is Bergen Lafayette) have seen changes happen within the last 10 years.

Galleries have also showed up in the last 10 years "Project Greenville" near the Danforth Station, "Nuradeen Gallery & Thrift Store" near the Richard st light rail and The Bethune Center is now hosting Spoken Word, Art Gallery, Indie Films, Yoga, and boot camp also near the Richard st station and "Cafe Sole" has a variety of events that is near the Garfield station.

I know the Heights has one light rail station but is that enough to service the entire area? IMO NO!

In my book transportation trumps, farmers markets, wine tastings and yoga. When I first moved dtjc it had nothing just cheep rent and the path and bunch of loud people who sat on the steps of the tenement buildings until 3 am..

.I like GV for those same reasons its cheap ($649 mortgage payment) and its a very easy commute. I like the Heights and if it had easier transportation a lot of us would be there.

Posted on: 2013/12/14 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The reliance on the private (and lightly regulated) jitney system seems odd to me. Why is there no public transportation?

There is. Is it as easy as downtown? No but there are numerous buses that can take you around most of the city and Manhatten if need be.

If the public bus service were adequate, all the private jitneys would not be needed to duplicate bus routes.

They follow two routes. A third if needed but it doesn't run much.

Posted on: 2013/12/14 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/14 22:32
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I know a few people who've moved to the heights from downtown and they range from loving it to describing it as "ghetto" (but they may be in different parts of it - it's a sprawling neighborhood).

What's remarkable is how little it takes to bring down a block. One of my properties is on a block with many condos and owner occupied single families. I bought the 2nd worst house and got rid of one of the people whose antics disrupted the block. But there's an 8 unit house that is all section 8 and run by an old school slumlord who has no interest in upgrading his place and renting to people who aren't sketchy. There's frequent police calls to the place despite his having cameras everywhere. I can imagine how bad a block would seem with 3 or 4 of these places.

But when we bought in HP 16 years ago there's was a kid dealing drugs out of his parent's rent controlled apartment across the street, and constant loud music and shouting. Things do change eventually.

Posted on: 2013/12/14 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

There is. Is it as easy as downtown? No but there are numerous buses that can take you around most of the city and Manhatten if need be. Although I do have to agree with others that the Heights needs an actual train stop of at least another light rail line added on that runs through JC with stops in the Heights but that is as likely as me marrying Emma Watson.

Posted on: 2013/12/14 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure where this comparison of the Heights and Greenville is coming from, but it certainly isn't being suggested by anyone too familiar with Jersey City. I am not saying anything negative at all about Greenville, but to suggest that it is similar to the Heights in any way other than perhaps larger homes is ludicrous. I am a native of the Heights and have commuted to NYC my entire life. Someone below suggested not investing in the Heights. The condos in the Heights are owned mostly by people formerly from New York, Hoboken and downtown Jersey City.

Take a drive around the Heights and you will see for yourself. Downtown changed quickly because it had the waterfront as well as less population and sought-after brownstones.

I know a reasonable amount of people who have moved up to the Heights because they didn't want to deal with flooding or flood insurance.

I'll restate -- art exhibitions, wine tastings, new restaurants, farmers markets -- all indicate the positive change that is occurring here.

See for yourself.

Posted on: 2013/12/14 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/14 19:19
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
No one has mentioned the arts rezoning for restaurants and gallery spaces. That plus the tax abatement structures make it an appealing place for businesses.

I know a few people who've moved to the heights from downtown and they range from loving it to describing it as "ghetto" (but they may be in different parts of it - it's a sprawling neighborhood).

Posted on: 2013/12/14 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I really think the parts of Jersey City that don't have 24-7 subway access to Manhattan, including the Heights, will struggle to "gentrify" in the true sense of the term, which is probably A-OK for most folks who live there and like the way it currently is. I wouldn't recommend purchasing in areas like the Heights or Greenville as an investment. I'd recommend buying there if you like the way the neighborhood currently is, and it sounds like some of you guys fit that description which is great.

The caveat to this statement is the parts of the Heights that are within a 15 min walk to JSQ. We will def see some neighborhood changes on those blocks.

A second caveat would be in the fairy tale scenario that the 7 train gets extended through Hudson County and includes a stop in the Heights.

Posted on: 2013/12/14 14:45

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017