Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Union Republic -- Impressive New Place on Newark Ave @ Third Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
My girlfriend and I had our second visit there tonight. I had the Nose to Tail the first time, and it was fantastic, so I was going to try the Hen Full tonight. They were out of it though. No matter, since the porky goodness of the Nose to Tail hit the spot on a cold, snowy day.

She had one of the vegetarian ramen, the Alpha @ Omega, which she said was better seasoned than on our first visit. We also split a chocolate banana bread pudding, which was pretty good, but not on the same level as their ramen dishes.

All in all, a solid addition to the Italian, Mexican, Thai and burger heavy casual dining in Jersey City.

The last few spoonfuls of tonkatsu broth, little bits of pork, scallions slivers and egg yolk are sooooo good.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 2:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Today was my second visit to UR. On the first visit I got the nose-to-tail ramen and it was very good, no complaints. Today my wife and I both got the chicken ramen (A Hen Full) and while the broth had the richness you'd expect, it was completely lacking in the savory department. We ended up needing to add salt and sriracha to make it enjoyable. The meatballs and egg were cooked well, but the broth needed some work. I realize a porky broth is going to be more intensely flavored, but there's a difference between subtle and under-seasoned.

However, the point of this post is not to bitch about a so-so lunch - one of the owners, who introduced himself last time I ate there, came over and profusely apologized, and also comp'd both ramens even though we did not ask or even expect that whatsoever. He said that because the broths take so long to cook that they were working out some kinks and something must have happened with this batch. It was a completely reasonable explanation and he certainly went above and beyond in trying to please us.

The point is it's a good sign to see management own up to mistakes and take steps to keep a potential future customer happy. We'll definitely be back.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 18:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/28 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
Tried nose-to-toe ramen yesterday. AMAZING.
Rich velvety broth with bits of yuzu. Loads of pork. Noodles cooked to perfection.. I spent 4 years living in Japan so while this is not traditional style ramen, it is indeed a very inventive creation.

Also got lamb ribs and ramen burger. Both were delicious.

I love the open layout of the restaurant. Will definitely be a regular. Cant wait to try other things on their menu.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 23:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 0:31
Group:
Registered Users
This place has the BEST burger I have had in life and they make it so easy to choose. Only one KIND
Ramens are great; I would like to see a bit more option for breakfast menu though if they plan on staying open for breakfast.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 20:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went here last night and had the Market Fish Mazemen. Never tried mazamen before but the noodles were pretty amazing. Great buttery texture! The fish was cooked perfectly.

The staff took the time to go over every bit of the menu, was very attentive and we had a great experience. Will definitely be exploring more options on this menu soon!

Posted on: 2013/12/8 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to update since I have since been back on a normal night.... MUCH BETTER!!! I had a feeling that the crazy crowd was to blame for the noodle issue before but you just never know. I headed over around 9:15 the other night (so right before closing and some places/servers can get a little huffy when you walk in)

They were super friendly, even though I was just getting take out they still seated me at the bar with water and some bread/garlic paste stuff (not sure exactly what that stuff is but I liked it)

I was able to try the ramen burger and got 2 hen fulls.... perfect noodles and I even re-heated one the next day (with a bit of water because it was totally solid....my only super super tiny complaint -- a bit more broth next time! fill that container up) and it was still delicious -super fast, delicious, hot and yummy

they also mentioned delivery starting soon which makes me VERY happy (even though I am only a few blocks away winter makes me hibernate at times)

Posted on: 2013/12/8 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I was here Monday and had a great meal. Didn't try the ramen yet, but I'm happy to report the UR burger was delicious (they were out of the ramen burger, so I tried the next best thing). For all the people stroking Left Bank Burger, I welcome you to try this one and let us know if they're in the same ball park. If you liked the burger at MAE, you'll find this one very familiar. The squash salad was tasty as well.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
On their website they list a section for grocer and grab-and-go but both are currently blank. Can anyone who's been there give an idea of what they are selling aside from whats on the menu?

I'm hoping to stop by for lunch this weekend to try some ramen. Looking forward to it.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 13:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 0:31
Group:
Registered Users
Give these guys a break. They just opened up and just like any other new business, need to tweak a few things. This is by far the MOST impressive spot on Newark Ave. If you go to any established business with 50 people at once and order, I assure you you will wait an hour too. I wished people were a lot more welcoming to new businesses in Jersey City. I have been there twice already for lunch and all I can say is that their noodles are exceptional.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just got back. Place is impressive. The service was fine not to much and not to little. The Ramen was delicious, however I am a novice at noodles. The rack of lamb was great a real treat and not something I expected. Altogether the place is a phenomenal addition to the neighborhood. I wish them the best of luck and am glad to have a place like this in my neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
We went last night and I think that they are on the right track but definitely a few things to work out..... the flavors were really good but I think that the rush of people with in 30 min of the doors opening was a bit much for them to handle. I felt that our ramen wasn't as hot as it should be and the noodles were stuck together and a bit undercooked. The lamb ribs and the pork tea sandwich were really nice though as were the chicken meatballs in the a hen full ramen. I did like the broths though... I am definitely a fan of the shoyu and didn't leave a drop! The pork based one is too much for me but that isn't a UR issue as I have the same problem at most ramen spots (and I also don't really like cream based soups so its definitely a personal preference)

Overall I will definitely go back again and hoping in a week or so service will be smoothed out

full review on my food blog http://carlastastytreats.blogspot.com ... nion-republic-jersey.html

I went on Friday and agree with mostly everything said above. The ramen was cold-warm. It was also undercooked. It took 50 minutes from ordering our food to placement on the table.

The food and service were not that great that night but I plan on going back because

- The restaurant looks great and improves the neighborhood. Very sleek and modern. DTJC needs more restaurants like this! My New York friend was impressed with the overall decor as well.

As for the individual who said the ramen looks expensive. I fall back on my usual response to such asinine comments - get a better job or try shopping at the dollar store for a can of soup. Good day

Posted on: 2013/11/25 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely +1 to Ippudo. I recently was turned onto traditional Japanese ramen and I'm hooked! I've also tried Momofuku noodle bar, also good but Ippudo is still my favorite. Can't wait to check out UR.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Will do, thanks again for the links!

Posted on: 2013/11/25 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I'm excited to check the place out. How does it differ from traditional ramen (I'm asking because Im sure I don't know what to look for in ramen, and want to learn).

Can you elaborate on the differences, good and bad?

Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
My wife and I went on Friday, and we were one of the first people. Their order system was interesting. You circle on the menu and bring it to the counter and pay first. I'm not sure why they decided to do it that way. I mean, how would we know how much tip we want to give the waiting staff? I guess we have an option of leaving cash at the table, but I would prefer to pay after the meal so that we can leave tips according to the level of service we received.

The ramen itself was quite a bold departure from traditional ramen. I'm Japanese, so I think I know what I'm talking about. But I like the approach they took to "Americanize" ramen. Yes, it was different from what I was used to, but nevertheless, it was tasty and I enjoyed it very much, and I don't think Japanese could have come up with the flavors.

Since there are hardly any Japanese expats in JC, I don't blame them to offer Americanized ramen rather than traditional ramen.

I posted pictures we took on Facebook and a lot of Japanese people who saw the pictures, commented that the place does not look like a ramen restaurant. Again, I don't think that's a problem (I think that's a positive thing). I'm sure pizza places don't resemble pizza place in Italy. And I don't think Italians who come here complain about that.

As long as it tastes good, I don't think people should care whether or not it is traditional. And this place does offer good ramen with interesting twist, and I'm looking forward to trying other things on the menu.

Sure, I can try. But I can't explain the tastes, so you really need to go to a ramen place owned by Japanese.

One such place is in Fort Lee, called Setagaya:

http://setaga-ya.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ramen-setagaya-fort-lee

Usually great ramen restaurants in Japan are very small. They usually have only a counter and stools.

http://img5.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/a ... 896_60482540_0?1252611273

While many restaurants do things to appeal their originality, they really take pride in their soup.

This is something that struck me immediately because what I had last night, Mazemen had hardly any soup. Don't get me wrong, please. I enjoyed it very much, but some really picky ramen enthusiasts may complain, "Hey, this isn't ramen."

Another thing that I noticed was solancho (spell?) in the noodle. Again, I was pleasantly surprised this flavor in ramen, but I have to say that this is a very dramatic departure from traditional ramen.

I tasted some of what my wife ordered. And again, I was pleasantly surprised to taste something different--something similar to Oden (another traditional Japanese dish).

There are many people in Japan who call themselves, "Ramen Enthusiasts". These people travel all over Japan in search of the best ramen. And competitions among ramen restaurants in Japan are fierce. I'm not one of those enthusiasts, and maybe that's why I enjoyed the American input into ramen that I tasted last night as much as I did.

But if these enthusiasts ever come here and try this ramen, I'm not sure if all would have positive things to say.

But I don't think it's fair to compare Union Republic's ramen and ramen in Japan. First and most important customers for Union Republic is American (not Japanese expats like me), and I think that they did a great job of adding American spins into the Japanese ramen.

Anyway, try some of the ramen restaurants in NY. Ippudo is pretty good.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I'm excited to check the place out. How does it differ from traditional ramen (I'm asking because Im sure I don't know what to look for in ramen, and want to learn).

Can you elaborate on the differences, good and bad?

Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
My wife and I went on Friday, and we were one of the first people. Their order system was interesting. You circle on the menu and bring it to the counter and pay first. I'm not sure why they decided to do it that way. I mean, how would we know how much tip we want to give the waiting staff? I guess we have an option of leaving cash at the table, but I would prefer to pay after the meal so that we can leave tips according to the level of service we received.

The ramen itself was quite a bold departure from traditional ramen. I'm Japanese, so I think I know what I'm talking about. But I like the approach they took to "Americanize" ramen. Yes, it was different from what I was used to, but nevertheless, it was tasty and I enjoyed it very much, and I don't think Japanese could have come up with the flavors.

Since there are hardly any Japanese expats in JC, I don't blame them to offer Americanized ramen rather than traditional ramen.

I posted pictures we took on Facebook and a lot of Japanese people who saw the pictures, commented that the place does not look like a ramen restaurant. Again, I don't think that's a problem (I think that's a positive thing). I'm sure pizza places don't resemble pizza place in Italy. And I don't think Italians who come here complain about that.

As long as it tastes good, I don't think people should care whether or not it is traditional. And this place does offer good ramen with interesting twist, and I'm looking forward to trying other things on the menu.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/25 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
We went last night and I think that they are on the right track but definitely a few things to work out..... the flavors were really good but I think that the rush of people with in 30 min of the doors opening was a bit much for them to handle. I felt that our ramen wasn't as hot as it should be and the noodles were stuck together and a bit undercooked. The lamb ribs and the pork tea sandwich were really nice though as were the chicken meatballs in the a hen full ramen. I did like the broths though... I am definitely a fan of the shoyu and didn't leave a drop! The pork based one is too much for me but that isn't a UR issue as I have the same problem at most ramen spots (and I also don't really like cream based soups so its definitely a personal preference)

Overall I will definitely go back again and hoping in a week or so service will be smoothed out

full review on my food blog http://carlastastytreats.blogspot.com ... nion-republic-jersey.html

Posted on: 2013/11/24 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Just over at Mitsuwa for lunch today. A large Miso Ramen was 9.99 + tax (regular size is $8.00 + tax). And it was GOOD!

Agree that the prices at UR here is expensive - but do I want to drive 20-30 min each way to Mitsuwa??? I'm not sure...

BTW, any feedback on the ramen yet from UR??? Dying to know.

Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
Those prices are pretty steep for Ramen.

Mitsuwa has ramen in the single digits.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Damn these vicious ramen threads. Damn them all.

- Kitaro Nishida

Posted on: 2013/11/23 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
They are just opening right now -- go on over and check them out -- BTW Burger Bar was already packed! Newark Avenue is looking good!

Posted on: 2013/11/23 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Ramen looks overpriced.

Wasn't it Emperor Hirohito who said: The proof of the ramen is in the eating? Maybe the buck or two difference is worth it because of:
quality
proximity to one's home
support of neighhood/independent businesses (now apparently known as clinginess)
ambiance

CdeCoincy,
You hit it right on the head. I can't stand reading posts from people who couldn't run a free paper stand. I'll go the Ft Lee , or make it myself. They are so tight with a buck, but they will spend more money getting to a place that is in their opinion a little more authentic.
Isn't that what they said about the Taqueria ( Who is opening his third site) regardless what these non supportive people say. It is amazing the people who either can do it cheaper, at home ( no kidding) , others who are just cheap skates, and base their opinion on that basis,
Or, people who do everything on line, or at home, anything not to support a local business. I hope where they work, their company makes every effort to automate, and see how they like it when they are left out. Hey! maybe they will have to start their own business , and see what it costs, and have to read these posts about them.

Venting

Actually, I made up that part about Hirohito.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Ramen looks overpriced.

Wasn't it Emperor Hirohito who said: The proof of the ramen is in the eating? Maybe the buck or two difference is worth it because of:
quality
proximity to one's home
support of neighhood/independent businesses (now apparently known as clinginess)
ambiance

CdeCoincy,
You hit it right on the head. I can't stand reading posts from people who couldn't run a free paper stand. I'll go the Ft Lee , or make it myself. They are so tight with a buck, but they will spend more money getting to a place that is in their opinion a little more authentic.
Isn't that what they said about the Taqueria ( Who is opening his third site) regardless what these non supportive people say. It is amazing the people who either can do it cheaper, at home ( no kidding) , others who are just cheap skates, and base their opinion on that basis,
Or, people who do everything on line, or at home, anything not to support a local business. I hope where they work, their company makes every effort to automate, and see how they like it when they are left out. Hey! maybe they will have to start their own business , and see what it costs, and have to read these posts about them.

Venting

Posted on: 2013/11/23 17:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 17:55
Group:
Registered Users
Union Republic?
Anything to do with the noodle place "Republic" at Union Square?? Sounds similar.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Ramen looks overpriced.

I agree. For now I think I will continue to go to Mitsuwa and a few places in Ft Lee which are more authentic.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Ramen looks overpriced.

quality
proximity to one's home
ambiance

Posted on: 2013/11/23 12:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Ramen looks overpriced.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
It's a restaurant, I think it's strange that a clingy desperate neighborhood would expect some sort of an explanation when they decide to close. The restaurant could have said,"It's not you, it's me" but I think they'd be lying.

Quote:

getz011 wrote:

That's totally cool - I hope you enjoy it.

I spent a lot of time and a ton of money supporting MAE, and so did many of my friends and neighbors. It quickly became the center of gravity in a neighborhood that was desperate for one. Even though they chose to pull out in the middle of the night, they had an opportunity to tell the people who supported them their side of the story; they didn't. That's why some, though certainly not all of us here, don't feel any special desire to support this new venture.

When MAE was around, there were ten better restaurants in JC. But I wanted to support my local.

Call me clingy. You're obviously far cooler than I.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
It's a restaurant, I think it's strange that a clingy desperate neighborhood would expect some sort of an explanation when they decide to close. The restaurant could have said,"It's not you, it's me" but I think they'd be lying.

Quote:

getz011 wrote:

I spent a lot of time and a ton of money supporting MAE, and so did many of my friends and neighbors. It quickly became the center of gravity in a neighborhood that was desperate for one. Even though they chose to pull out in the middle of the night, they had an opportunity to tell the people who supported them their side of the story; they didn't. That's why some, though certainly not all of us here, don't feel any special desire to support this new venture.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 2:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/3 2:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Our post about Union Republic and 340 Third rentals with floor plans.

Best,
thejerseycitylife.com

Link

Posted on: 2013/11/23 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
...I spent a lot of time and a ton of money supporting MAE...

I am sure that is true -- but it sounds funny -- in my life I have spent lots of time and a ton of money in places too -- but I have to assume that up until they closed -- it was a great place -- since you were there so long and so often.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eblanco wrote:

Saying they left the neighborhood high and dry pushing it. There were conflicts between the owners and between the owners and the landlord. They go into gory details in this article: http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... t-after-partners-dispute/

I loved MAE and will check out UR.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 18:19

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017