Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 'House Hunters' couple to visit three Jersey City homes
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/14 1:53
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with everyone on here..this episode was disappointing.
I don't want to be a total hater in case these guys ever read this thread, but they just didn't seem psyched at all about moving here. The older guy was more positive at least..sidebar: they didn't look 20 years apart!
And seriously-Canco Lofts isn't THAT much farther, come on! I thought the space was better than Dixon Mills but I didn't realize how pricey the monthly condo fees are in general-yikes!
I don't think it was the spaces that were a poor representation of JC; I think it was the overall attitude toward Jersey. Kind of a bummer.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Any chance the video will be posted up? I take it from the comments the show didn't paint Jersey City in a very positive light...

Check the listings for HGTV. They rerun these programs a lot, especially on weekends and late night. I don't think the show painted JC in a negative light - or a particularly positive one for that matter. It didn't talk much about the city or the neighborhoods. If I got a negative impression of anything, it was this couple. They were extremely annoying. They had this attitude of "We're thinking of moving to New Jersey, so Jersey better kiss our asses with amenities."

It was basically a presentation of three homes with the realtor talking up the pros of each. I did think the 800 sqf one-bedroom in Trump for $535K was waaay overpriced, even in this market - and it's not even on the waterfront. If they were serious about that type of condo, they could have easily found a modern one-bedroom for under $500K. But as others have said, this whole thing is staged. I'm guessing the realtor featured the Trump place because she hasn't been able to sell it.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
That couple was insufferable.

And after looking at Dixon Mills and Trump, they went "45 minutes farther into Jersey City" to look at Canco? 45 min from downtown to JSQ? Walking time, maybe.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Any chance the video will be posted up? I take it from the comments the show didn't paint Jersey City in a very positive light...

Posted on: 2013/12/7 6:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
...good callout Jaded. Like - what kind of countertop did they have in that sexy studio they were living in in Hell's Kitchen........

Posted on: 2013/12/7 6:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
And what's the deal with the granite hate? Of all the stupid reasons to dislike a home...

Posted on: 2013/12/7 5:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ooooohhhh - and that realtor!!!! The embodiment of every NJ stereotype out there....

Posted on: 2013/12/7 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, could have done without all the "OMG JERSEY" remarks.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 4:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't want to move here after seeing what I just saw : /

Posted on: 2013/12/7 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe we're not live blogging (or commenting? I guess) this! Thoughts so far?

Posted on: 2013/12/7 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite episode of the show is the "older" show on JC - the couple looking to buy in the city, but ended up buying a 1BD at Mandalay Bay.

I loved it when their real estate agent - who is male and has shoulder length hair - said, "I may look like Jesus, but I can't do miracles"!!! The premise being that the couple was looking to buy a 1 bedroom with elevator, amenities, and such for around $400K (I think. Can't remember the exact price range, but something that was obvious won't get you a 1BD in the city). Of course, they ended up buying a 1BD in jersey city.

In this episode, I also learnt what is a "convertible 1 bedroom". Only in NYC!!!

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I LOVE "House Hunters."

This is what we understand how the show works:

Participants have to already have closed the contract on the house (That's why almost always the house that has no furniture in it is the one that they choose at the end). Sometimes the producer of the show finds the other two houses and other times, the participants themselves are asked to find the other two houses, and they pretend that they are still looking for a house. Most of the stories that the participants tell on camera is true, but not always in order to make the show more interesting. Also realtors are not always who they claim to be (in some cases, they are just a friend of the participants).

Fake? Sure, I would call it "scripted reality." But it's still interesting to see different houses of different prices in different places (domestic or international). And it is particularly interesting to see people who are looking for something similar in my own price range.

I do hate it though when they say, "It's too small!" These people in the suburb/country have NO IDEA what small is!!

What's entertaining is after house hunters make some negative comments about the house, the camera zooms into the realtor's face. That's the funny part of the show.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode!

Posted on: 2013/12/6 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
I like the International version, especially when the price range is low, you see some creative "un-american" habitats...

But the domestic version sucks.

Also, of course it is staged. Who in their right mind would let a tv show pick 3 houses/apartments and then you are forced to choose one "so which did they choose?".

Posted on: 2013/12/6 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I saw Jersey City on House Hunters a few years ago.

77 Hudson is featured on Open House every Saturday morning on NBC. They are an advertiser.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/open-house/

Posted on: 2013/12/5 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
'House Hunters' episode to feature Jersey City couple, real-estate agent

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A real-estate agent born and raised in Jersey City helps a gay couple find a home on this side of the Hudson River in an episode of ?House Hunters? scheduled to air tomorrow tonight.

Katrina Rodriguez, an agent with Boutique Realty on Newark Avenue, said camera crews filmed the couple in May as they toured three Jersey City properties. A former model, Rodriguez said she was excited to show off her hometown on one of her favorite television shows.

?Jersey City is so great, and that?s what I want people to see,? she told The Jersey Journal. ?Unfortunately, people outside of this area, in the suburbs, they don?t have that outlook on Jersey City.?

READ MORE

Quote:
Dixon Mills and Trump Plaza in the Downtown and Canco Lofts on Dey Street.

Why would you show these places? Why wouldn't you show JC's best luxury condos? If the show is already fake, and you are showing condos, why not attract people by showing the best condos - 77 hudson, crystal point, sugar house lofts? Maybe even something innovative like Maddox.

What disappointment in selection...

I usually agree with what you say but House Hunters is based on people looking within a specific budget. Also worth noting is that a lot of people, including myself, are moving to JC because it does offer these middle tier type of developments such as Dixon and Canco. Something that is increasingly rare in NYC.

If I could afford 600k+ I would've just bought a place in Brooklyn but affordability relative to NYC is the bigger draw for JC and featuring what you can buy for 400k is more of a novelty for the greater NYC area than what you can buy for, say 800k.

But their home was already purchased before the visits. I can definitely understand if it was not and the show was somewhat based in reality but if it's staged, why does it even matter?

Posted on: 2013/12/5 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Why would you show these places? Why wouldn't you show JC's best luxury condos?

Umm, isn't it possible "the best" wasn't in the customer's budget?

Posted on: 2013/12/5 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:

A real-estate agent born and raised in Jersey City helps a gay couple find a home on this side of the Hudson River in an episode of ?House Hunters? scheduled to air tomorrow tonight.

Katrina Rodriguez, an agent with Boutique Realty on Newark Avenue, said camera crews filmed the couple in May as they toured three Jersey City properties. A former model, Rodriguez said she was excited to show off her hometown on one of her favorite television shows.

?Jersey City is so great, and that?s what I want people to see,? she told The Jersey Journal. ?Unfortunately, people outside of this area, in the suburbs, they don?t have that outlook on Jersey City.?

READ MORE

Quote:

Why would you show these places? Why wouldn't you show JC's best luxury condos? If the show is already fake, and you are showing condos, why not attract people by showing the best condos - 77 hudson, crystal point, sugar house lofts? Maybe even something innovative like Maddox.

I usually agree with what you say but House Hunters is based on people looking within a specific budget. Also worth noting is that a lot of people, including myself, are moving to JC because it does offer these middle tier type of developments such as Dixon and Canco. Something that is increasingly rare in NYC.

If I could afford 600k+ I would've just bought a place in Brooklyn but affordability relative to NYC is the bigger draw for JC and featuring what you can buy for 400k is more of a novelty for the greater NYC area than what you can buy for, say 800k.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
vindication15,

Do you work for 77 Hudson? It seems every other post from you is lauding how 77 Hudson is the greatest 'luxury' condo availble.

Robin.

nope. I work in NYC but I do live in a condo in paulus hook. I was just stating facts based on sale records...didn't think that was controversial.

Those 3 are probably the 3 buildings that sell the highest priced units per square foot.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
vindication15,

Do you work for 77 Hudson? It seems every other post from you is lauding how 77 Hudson is the greatest 'luxury' condo availble.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:

READ MORE

Quote:

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:29

'House Hunters' couple to visit three Jersey City homes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:04

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017