Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: LOTS of new Stop Signs Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
A ridiculous law. The parents at Cordero have set the rules over there and they are not the rules of the road. The double parking is ridiculous and no one cares about that.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
The sign at Erie and Pavonia is useless.

Anyone coming from the park is going to go on 9th or 8th to cut out to Marin, the mall, and the PATH.

Also...there are no cars coming out there...it's a one way eastbound...

You can't even see the sign. And the Cordero parents, quite wrongfully, double park and take up the whole street anyway when anyone is crossing there, ensuring a major jam all the way up Erie so no one moves anyway.

How about a sign at 7th and Erie, where there are actually cars coming? Instead we have a sign where there are no cars pulling out onto Erie and where traffic is slowest...

From what I have noticed of the new signs is that they all seem to be located close to parks and schools. The new law allows local municipalities to put up signs as they feel needed without prior state approval as long as it is within 500 feet of a park, school or recreation area. I believe that has much to do with the location of the new signs and why they are not installed at other needed areas.

"designate any intersection as a stop intersection and erect appropriate signs, on streets under municipal jurisdiction if that intersection is located within 500 feet of a school, or of a playground or youth recreational facility and the street on which the stop sign will be erected is contiguous to that school, or playground or youth recreational facility."
LINK
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A3000/2731_I1.PDF

Posted on: 2014/3/15 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The sign at Erie and Pavonia is useless.

Anyone coming from the park is going to go on 9th or 8th to cut out to Marin, the mall, and the PATH.

Also...there are no cars coming out there...it's a one way eastbound...

You can't even see the sign. And the Cordero parents, quite wrongfully, double park and take up the whole street anyway when anyone is crossing there, ensuring a major jam all the way up Erie so no one moves anyway.

How about a sign at 7th and Erie, where there are actually cars coming? Instead we have a sign where there are no cars pulling out onto Erie and where traffic is slowest...

Posted on: 2014/3/14 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

emileigh23 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
The new one at Jersey and York, facing north, is obscured by a tree and drivers are blowing right through it. When the tree is in bloom, this spring -- oh boy. The corner needs that Stop sign but it can't be seen in its current location.

The situation at this intersection has not gotten much better... twice in the past week I've yelled at cars who just ZOOM through, some without even slowing down... it's mostly the cars coming from the south, as they're trying to make the light at Montgomery. The placement of this stop sign like the poster above said, is asinine. It is literally to the side and behind a telephone pole. I was so grateful for the stop signs at this intersection as it is kind of dangerous most of the time... hopefully it will get better?! I just wish they would move the stop sign so it isn't blocked!
yeah that's a lousy one. I'm really happy with the ones on Monmouth St and around Hamilton Park, but the Van Vorst ones were really poorly done.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Sometimes I think it might be better to not have a stop sign if it's going to be so poorly placed. My biggest fear is thinking the car sees the stop sign but doesn't as I'm walking by.

BUt that's true at any stop, forget about crosswalk. I'm always amazed at the people who will throw themselves in front of a car without even looking up, putting their lives in the hands of that guy who might not see the stop, or be distracted by passenger, cellphone, radio, GPS, or some comely passerby posterior. Having right of way shouldn't be a suicide pact. Always keep an eye on the approaching car.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

emileigh23 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
The new one at Jersey and York, facing north, is obscured by a tree and drivers are blowing right through it. When the tree is in bloom, this spring -- oh boy. The corner needs that Stop sign but it can't be seen in its current location.

The situation at this intersection has not gotten much better... twice in the past week I've yelled at cars who just ZOOM through, some without even slowing down... it's mostly the cars coming from the south, as they're trying to make the light at Montgomery. The placement of this stop sign like the poster above said, is asinine. It is literally to the side and behind a telephone pole. I was so grateful for the stop signs at this intersection as it is kind of dangerous most of the time... hopefully it will get better?! I just wish they would move the stop sign so it isn't blocked!

Sometimes I think it might be better to not have a stop sign if it's going to be so poorly placed. My biggest fear is thinking the car sees the stop sign but doesn't as I'm walking by.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Hoping and wishing isn't gonna make it better...For one thing a person put the signs up...So they don't know or can't figure out the sign won't be seen? It's going to be worse...much worse when the Skyway is closed...Take it to the bank !!

Posted on: 2014/3/10 17:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/10 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
suzychapstick, I took your suggestion and made a map of where the new signs are. thank you!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
New stop signs in Downtown Jersey City aren't helping, residents say

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City has installed two dozen new stop signs at intersections throughout the Downtown, but not everyone?s thrilled about them.

Even parents picking up their children at city schools today gave the new signs a thumbs down, saying they don't keep motorists from racing through the intersections.

?Nobody?s paying attention,? said Deanna Day, who was waiting for her 10-year-old grandson outside School 16, where the city has installed two new stop signs for drivers on Washington Street.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/12/9 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Watched a Truchan Brothers flatbed tow-truck race around Hamilton Park earlier today. He blew every Stop-sign and flew over every speed-bump with a clamorous crashing sound.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
The problem with some of the new signs is that they're almost covered by other signs (yield to pedestrian etc). The corners are getting very cluttered with sign posts all of the same height competing for space.

It's akin to little kids shoving their way into a photo.
Also the no turn on red signs need hours; it's silly to sit at these things on a Sunday morning.

Great plan but questionable execution.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 21:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Just about drove through a new one on the corner of Washington and Sussex. It's sort of hidden. Probably smart for there to be one on that corner because of the grammar school.

Maybe it would be useful for the city to have a map on the website that shows where all of the new stop signs are (and maybe have it in the Journal or what-have-you). If people are looking for them, they *might* actually stop.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Another place they have proper, effective, speed-bumps is the Pathmark car-park.

Just driven through there, you can't go fast without ruining your car.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 19:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Well as they stand, they're nothing more than a bad paving job. And since that is consistent with the rest of the city, no one notices.
They'll have to paint stripes or something to bring attention to them.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, these humps are useless.

I speculate this is all the Jersey City transport department would allow.

Proper speed bumps, one every 30 yards, like they have in the large parking lot of Villa Borniquen is what's needed. (Just off of Marin between 2nd and 5th streets)

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 23:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
I was hoping for/expecting a speed *bump* (which are higher and more substantial), rather than a speed hump. Unfortunately, the humps installed on 9th Street are ineffective; cars/trucks are flying over them with little to no issue. I just watched a car blast down 9th around 40 MPH, go over one hump, blow through the new stop sign, and then over the second hump without slowing in the slightest.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
The hump on 8th is nowhere near as tall or effective as the humps used in every other city I've ever driven through where they are used.

These traffic calming measures are definitely a step in the right direction, but the implementation thus far leaves a lot to be desired imho

Posted on: 2013/12/6 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok I take it back. It is definitely a hump. I see cars bouncing over then as they fly by. Maybe they'll still get painted with yellow stripes or something to make them obvious to the drivers?

Posted on: 2013/12/6 15:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting, I'm actually talking about the south side. So you're telling me the new asphalt (which I now see is maybe a half inch higher than the old asphalt) is the actual speed hump? If you are correct... completely stupid. People are flying over it like its nothing. Possibly because it is nothing?

Posted on: 2013/12/5 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed a speed hump on the south side of the park. maybe you just didn't see them?

Posted on: 2013/12/5 15:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone explain to me what's going on with the speed hump installation in HP?

They put up No Parking signs for this week, on Monday they scraped out large rectangular sections of the asphalt where the speed humps were to be installed, on Wednesday they filled the rectangular sections back in, put up Speed Hump signs, and took down the No Parking signs.

So, as it stands the asphalt is just back where it was and we have speed hump signs. Are they actually installing the humps? I'm confused.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Signs are not the problem. For some of our dangerously aggressive drivers signs are the solution. They use the multi-way stops as a way to gain the advantage over drivers who actually obey the law. I see it time and time again.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> I've made several complaints about Manila and 8th over
> the past few years, and it seems crazy that there's all
> of these new stop signs but not one there. Maybe the
> JCPD doesn't want it for one reason or another...

I emailed the HPNA board about this location last week, they did not seem to be aware of why it wasn't included, but they did promise to investigate.

I think it may be good if some of us citizens contacted Candice indendently also. I went through the HPNA in the first instance as I asummed they would have been closely involved in producing the list of sites for the Hamilton Park neighbourhood.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
I've made several complaints about Manila and 8th over the past few years, and it seems crazy that there's all of these new stop signs but not one there. Maybe the JCPD doesn't want it for one reason or another...

Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Still waiting for sign southbound on Manila at 8th Street, cars fly through to catch the green light at Manila and 6th Street.

Candice, check the accident report records over the previous 5 years. There is at least 1 accident per month, maybe more and it is a heavily traveled pedestrian area as folks are walking from PATH through the mall to Hamilton Park vice versa.

Come on now!

Posted on: 2013/12/4 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I certainly hope this wasn't the work of a contractor as some of them are worse than the fake signs Roscoe used to put up to ticket the Duke boys...

Posted on: 2013/12/4 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I blame the contractor, assuming it was a contractor and not the city itself. How hard would it have been to have had a pile of "2 way" and "3 way" signs to add to all the new and existing signs as the job was done? "Stop ahead" and striping would have been nice, but more work. The little extra signs would have been nothing.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that the Stop Sign is ordered and the crew booked to put up sign that the "two-way or three-way or four-way" signs weren't ordered at the same time?! Now they have to schedule another crew to finish the job.

And the paint jobs on the street can't happen unless the temperature is fifty degrees or more.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Still waiting for sign southbound on Manila at 8th Street, cars fly through to catch the green light at Manila and 6th Street.

Candice, check the accident report records over the previous 5 years. There is at least 1 accident per month, maybe more and it is a heavily traveled pedestrian area as folks are walking from PATH through the mall to Hamilton Park vice versa.

Come on now!

Posted on: 2013/12/4 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
saw multiple cars blow through Jersey & 8th as well as Jersey & 9th today. People are not used to these stops and they are easy to miss.

There needs to be a major effort to make all new stops very visible or there will be a serious accident.

It's not what you don't know that gets you in trouble, it's what you think you know that ain't so. Too many people think they can drive thru these intersections and have no clue new signs have been put up. I approach every one of these new 4 way stops with the assumption that someone will miss the stop. Not exactly how it is supposed to work...

Yup. And the flip side is people who simply won't ever go because they don't know the others have a stop. I leaned on my horn repeatedly yesterday at 7th & Coles when the person in front of me kept insisting car after car, that had stopped, go instead.

I blame the contractor, assuming it was a contractor and not the city itself. How hard would it have been to have had a pile of "2 way" and "3 way" signs to add to all the new and existing signs as the job was done? "Stop ahead" and striping would have been nice, but more work. The little extra signs would have been nothing.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
saw multiple cars blow through Jersey & 8th as well as Jersey & 9th today. People are not used to these stops and they are easy to miss.

There needs to be a major effort to make all new stops very visible or there will be a serious accident.

It's not what you don't know that gets you in trouble, it's what you think you know that ain't so. Too many people think they can drive thru these intersections and have no clue new signs have been put up. I approach every one of these new 4 way stops with the assumption that someone will miss the stop. Not exactly how it is supposed to work...

Posted on: 2013/12/4 15:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017