Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Development will now be rentals, Grove Street buildings will have 99 units
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maise wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

Maise wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
I see the Reserved Parking and Zone 4 parking surrounding Trump, A-Condos and 50 Columbus - all fill up at night and over the weekends - after the commuters leave for the day. There are no open spots near the Grove Path station until after 11p.
Trump offers no discount for people who live in the building. A-Condos is private parking. There are four high rises under construction in this area as well - and when they start to fill up, I suspect the parking spaces will continue to disappear.
And new construction on First near Marin - 12 stories - has no parking built for this building so every resident will be entitled to zone 4 permit parking.

I live in 50 Columbus (without a car) and while the while there are cars parking in the spaces on the nights / weekends, I would say than more than 50% of the spots in the area are available on nights / weekends.

18 months from now - when the most recent high rise construction in this area is completed - the spaces will fill up.

It takes a few years to get anything changed within the government - and changing the Permit Parking enforcement hours could take two years. I think the 8a-5p (really 3p) parking restrictions should be extended to later in the evening. - Non-permit cars can still park up to two hours, just extended the hours to, say, 10p.

Perhaps they will fill up then, but your initial argument was flawed and based on incorrect assumptions. Furthermore, some of these new towers in the area (but not all), will have additional garage parking included.

What is an incorrect assumption? You say it yourself - cars ARE parking around the high rises overnight and on weekends - not in the garage that comes with the building. But you have to think of the future of this neighborhood now, not once it's complete. Prepare for a couple thousand new neighbors that will occupy these new high rises - and their friends that are going to drive in for dinner.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 21:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

Maise wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
I see the Reserved Parking and Zone 4 parking surrounding Trump, A-Condos and 50 Columbus - all fill up at night and over the weekends - after the commuters leave for the day. There are no open spots near the Grove Path station until after 11p.
Trump offers no discount for people who live in the building. A-Condos is private parking. There are four high rises under construction in this area as well - and when they start to fill up, I suspect the parking spaces will continue to disappear.
And new construction on First near Marin - 12 stories - has no parking built for this building so every resident will be entitled to zone 4 permit parking.

I live in 50 Columbus (without a car) and while the while there are cars parking in the spaces on the nights / weekends, I would say than more than 50% of the spots in the area are available on nights / weekends.

18 months from now - when the most recent high rise construction in this area is completed - the spaces will fill up.

It takes a few years to get anything changed within the government - and changing the Permit Parking enforcement hours could take two years. I think the 8a-5p (really 3p) parking restrictions should be extended to later in the evening. - Non-permit cars can still park up to two hours, just extended the hours to, say, 10p.

Perhaps they will fill up then, but your initial argument was flawed and based on incorrect assumptions. Furthermore, some of these new towers in the area (but not all), will have additional garage parking included.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
So, uh, don't mean to divert everyone from such an interesting and lively discussion, but anyone know what type of retail will be at the bottom? Parking aside, I think that could really make /break the immediate neighbor, and draw more crowd to this area. I hope it won't be another childcare facility - I have two young kids myself, but I think we have enough child cares in the area already.

I'd personally like to see the developers have some vision for what they'd like in the retail spaces and court those types of businesses and subsidize them if necessary. This is what the Walentas' did when they were developing in DUMBO and what they are planning with the Domino complex in Williamsburg. They laid the groundwork for the future retail/resaurants/galleries/bars by being active in the decisions about what businesses would occupy their developments. It may have cost them short term but it's paying dividends now.

It seems like the developers of the former JCPD station on Erie are involved in this way and it's great to see. If their plans are realized it will mean a great new market and interesting culinary offering in our neighborhood.

All too often, especially in JC, it seems like landlords and developers will just let a space sit empty and then take the first salon, day care center, or *fill in the blank* that is willing to pay them rather than go out and offer incentives to the type of businesses that will ultimately help raise their bottom line by making the neighborhood as a whole more desireable.

The Silverman's have significant involvement with the retail space at Hamilton Square. I would only assume that they would continue this at all of their new developments.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
You can generally count on Silverman to bring in good retail. He actually reduces the rent to help businesses when they start out if he thinks they are a good fit.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
I'd personally like to see the developers have some vision for what they'd like in the retail spaces and court those types of businesses and subsidize them if necessary. This is what the Walentas' did when they were developing in DUMBO and what they are planning with the Domino complex in Williamsburg. They laid the groundwork for the future retail/resaurants/galleries/bars by being active in the decisions about what businesses would occupy their developments. It may have cost them short term but it's paying dividends now.

It seems like the developers of the former JCPD station on Erie are involved in this way and it's great to see. If their plans are realized it will mean a great new market and interesting culinary offering in our neighborhood.

All too often, especially in JC, it seems like landlords and developers will just let a space sit empty and then take the first salon, day care center, or *fill in the blank* that is willing to pay them rather than go out and offer incentives to the type of businesses that will ultimately help raise their bottom line by making the neighborhood as a whole more desireable.

The careful, curated retail is exactly what the Silvermans are known for.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
So, uh, don't mean to divert everyone from such an interesting and lively discussion, but anyone know what type of retail will be at the bottom? Parking aside, I think that could really make /break the immediate neighbor, and draw more crowd to this area. I hope it won't be another childcare facility - I have two young kids myself, but I think we have enough child cares in the area already.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
I think the 8a-5p (really 3p) parking restrictions should be extended to later in the evening. - Non-permit cars can still park up to two hours, just extended the hours to, say, 10p.

And my dinner guests who arrive at 6pm need to leave by 8? Just moving the car does NOT work, I was booted my 1st month in JC for returning to an area after leaving earlier that day.

Compromise is always possible - but 5p is too early. And this wouldn't have to be every zone - times could be targeted to streets close to PATH trains and high density areas. Again all this is the start of the discussion.

The other issue will always fall to enforcement, and the lack of it.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jklm wrote:
I think the 8a-5p (really 3p) parking restrictions should be extended to later in the evening. - Non-permit cars can still park up to two hours, just extended the hours to, say, 10p.

And my dinner guests who arrive at 6pm need to leave by 8? Just moving the car does NOT work, I was booted my 1st month in JC for returning to an area after leaving earlier that day.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/4 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maise wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/4 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Definitions ? Regular Folks: people who live in Jersey City, either homeowners or tenants with no reserved parking space.
Irregular Folks: People who move into JC especially downtown into condos with inadequate parking and bring cars to Jersey City.

1) You can be a homeowner and live in one of those condos. You should either lookup the word homeowner or lookup the word condominium

2) Irregular folks as you call them, myself included, put JC on the map.

3) I don't think anyone who is anti marriage equality circa 2013 should be labeling other people irregular

Posted on: 2013/12/4 18:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/4 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Definitions ? Regular Folks: people who live in Jersey City, either homeowners or tenants with no reserved parking space.
Irregular Folks: People who move into JC especially downtown into condos with inadequate parking and bring cars to Jersey City.

Well, then.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

How long is the transition from irregular folk to regular folk ? It should really be labled irregular developer and irregular planning board.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 14:03
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/3 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People do have cars and if there is not enough parking in the garage, guess what? They will park on the streets depriving regular folks of those spots.

Who are the "regular folks" and what makes the new people "irregular"?

Posted on: 2013/12/3 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The non-resident parking permits are pretty inexpensive too. The city can raise the fees to encourage taking public transportation.

I once met someone who worked at the library. He lived right by the West Side light rail stop but he drove to work instead of taking the light rail to Jersey Avenue when walking. His rationale was "I have a parking permit."

Anecdotal, I know. But I suspect there's a lot of that going on.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I don't mind paying for parking.

I do mind that some residents want to make JC hell on earth for drivers.

Queens and Brooklyn allow street parking free on weekends. I have the right to have guests (I know they are audacious for driving to JC instead of taking our Europe-caliber PT) and not have them have to pay to park in a garage.

Hell when I lived in Manhattan, street parking was free on Saturday nights...

24/7 permit parking would be an unfair nightmare- and it's not working in Hoboken, except if by working, you meant driving business out of town.

Get it through your heads...some people have to come to and from here by car...

Posted on: 2013/12/3 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I think there will always be a mix of people who need their cars for work in the suburbs especially with the poor train infrastructure and those that will only need to commute by public transportation.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 18:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I moved to DTJC last year from the Midwest, and brought my car with me, as I work in the Short Hills, NJ area. Given that JC is, in fact, a city, I fully expected to, and do, pay for parking. That's how it should work.

Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Do you know any new JC residents?? All the ones I know moved from NYC without cars. They did so, knowing they wouldn't need a car. They wanted to live close to NYC, and continue living an urban lifestyle, without owning cars.

Yes, some of these people did buy cars after moving here, and those people bought parking spots in their high rise parking garages.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
As an already dense city continues to get much denser, the architecture and urban planning needs to move aggressively away from the vehicle. All new construction high rises and midrises should be REQUIRED to have ground floor retail around the entire perimeter of the building. Not doing so will absolutely destroy the vibrancy of JC's streets and it will feel like a sterile sunbelt or midwestern city. In fact, it already does outside of the historic rowhouse neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I lived on Van Vorst Park for over 40 years, moved last year. The parking was horrible, added to the fact you have Schools 3, 4, the old school 3 and the parochial school. No parking was added for the teachers at the newer two schools. Also, people visiting the hospital do not want to pay for parking so they park around Van Vorst. People get permits to park on the streets if they work in the area. It is always people with cars that say cars are not necessary. Not everyone takes the PATH, especially since it is now overcrowded.

There is parking, you just have to pay for it. Free parking aint a right, especially in cities, where land is scarce.

+1 Exactly! Like any downtown area in the world there is no guarantee of a parking spot. If you are so in need of a parking space, buy a house with a garage or rent a parking spot... but don't live in a downtown area and bitch about not getting a spot.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I lived on Van Vorst Park for over 40 years, moved last year. The parking was horrible, added to the fact you have Schools 3, 4, the old school 3 and the parochial school. No parking was added for the teachers at the newer two schools. Also, people visiting the hospital do not want to pay for parking so they park around Van Vorst. People get permits to park on the streets if they work in the area. It is always people with cars that say cars are not necessary. Not everyone takes the PATH, especially since it is now overcrowded.

There is parking, you just have to pay for it. Free parking aint a right, especially in cities, where land is scarce.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is always people with cars that say cars are not necessary. Not everyone takes the PATH, especially since it is now overcrowded.

Do you know any new JC residents?? All the ones I know moved from NYC without cars. They did so, knowing they wouldn't need a car. They wanted to live close to NYC, and continue living an urban lifestyle, without owning cars.

Yes, some of these people did buy cars after moving here, and those people bought parking spots in their high rise parking garages.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I live in Van Vorst Park. If we come home after 10:30 pm, we can circle for 15 minutes and more to find parking. (Please withhold the usual "whiner" ridicule. I'm simply answering the question that was asked.) Even so, I'm not sure I agree with the 24/7 rule because that implies full time enforcement, which carries its own costs.

Hi K-Lo - I think you were responding to me. Thanks for the feedback. I should have clarified, because I personally know it's even difficult to find parking in the Heights during the overnight hours. I just don't think we should be penalizing patrons to restuarants, when it's not difficult to park during dining hours.

Are there really a lot of out of towners parking overnight on the streets? Maybe there is a reason they would, but I can't think of it.

I also, don't think the high rise resident parking on the streets is the problem. The same problem exists in the Heights, which doesn't have the same high rise density as downtown. Also, like Moobycow, I know several high rise residents with cars, and they all pay for their parking in the parking decks.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
TommyC -- You're absolutely right that there is a great opportunity for JC to really remake itself as an ideal, walkable midsize city. We have the density, we have the history, we have the public transport, and we have the proximity to one of the most important global cities. Having the structure turn it's back to the street by putting first floor(s) parking in every building downtown is not "human scale" or pedestrian friendly. It's also aestheticly awful. This St. Louis style urban planning has no place here.

Everyone complaining about parking in downtown JC in these new developments should realize that a lot of the people filling these places are moving to JC as an alternative to Brooklyn or other areas of NYC. This includes me and just about everyone I know currently in JC or those considering JC. I've yet to meet a single one of these mythical new residents who won't move into these places due to lack of parking.

Like it or not, JC is now an extension of/alternative to NYC, not an extension of the suburbs.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/3 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Van Vorst Park. If we come home after 10:30 pm, we can circle for 15 minutes and more to find parking. (Please withhold the usual "whiner" ridicule. I'm simply answering the question that was asked.) Even so, I'm not sure I agree with the 24/7 rule because that implies full time enforcement, which carries its own costs.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Any development that has a garage with empty spaces should consider renting to the public. Residents have left downtown for that reason, returning home at night with no place to park, is a serious problem.

I know Trump, 50 Columbus, Liberty Towers, and others do. There is still plenty of empty parking spots available, if you need one.

This. Grove Pointe does as well. There is a lot of unused parking downtown. Also, I lived in Grove Pointe for a few years and I didn't meet a single person who parked on the street instead of in the deck. I did meet a lot of people without cars though.

The decks aren't incredibly convenient if you don't live in the building they are attached to, but they are available to the public and downtown isn't so big that you can't find one within a reasonable walk if you find parking that difficult.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 16:39

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017