Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Car Booted on First Offense

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/10 14:42
Group:
Registered Users
Can I ask who you spoke to

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcisitworking wrote:
Ladybert,,, Im new to Jersey City ,living on the JC/ Hoboken border where there is no parking at all. Im glad you got the refund . It shows that the PA will work with you not like where I lived in the past ( Hoboken and NYC) . Thank you for the update.

oooo not so fast guy. generally, they really aren't willing to work with you at all. i think because this was related to sandy reconstruction and i was trying to follow the rules, it was a rare circumstance. walk a straight line and you'll have no problems.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

worm wrote:
Are you serious!! Mind me asking who you spoke to at the parking authority?? I spent a ridiculous amount of time calling/going back and forth between the court and the PA to no avail... and my ticket was even thrown out! Holy crap I'm so annoyed!!! but happy you got your money back.

i sent you a PM.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ladybert,,, Im new to Jersey City ,living on the JC/ Hoboken border where there is no parking at all. Im glad you got the refund . It shows that the PA will work with you not like where I lived in the past ( Hoboken and NYC) . Thank you for the update.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Are you serious!! Mind me asking who you spoke to at the parking authority?? I spent a ridiculous amount of time calling/going back and forth between the court and the PA to no avail... and my ticket was even thrown out! Holy crap I'm so annoyed!!! but happy you got your money back.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcisitworking wrote:
Ladybert;;;;;; Any update? Were they helpful? if so , who did you speak to and what was needed (documentation)

haha, umm, did you really just create an account to respond to this?

hell froze over, JCPA is refunding me but i still have to go fight the ticket portion later this month. councilwoman candice osbourne helped in directing my complaint to the right person at the parking authority but i had to provide pictures of all the construction permits, etc. it was a very reluctant refund because in their mind the rules are black and white, but the woman associated with JCPA said she had superstorm sandy damage at her home as well, so i think she had a rare soft spot for this one-off. generally JCPA will just tell you "it's a tow zone, so the boot is actually a favor for not towing your car." if i hadn't been able to provide proof, the first offence wouldn't have mattered to them. "it could have been a tow!" barf.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ladybert;;;;;; Any update? Were they helpful? if so , who did you speak to and what was needed (documentation)

Posted on: 2013/12/6 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
[quote]

Didn't the mayor when he was a councilman state that anyone found not guilty should not only not have to pay the ticket or court costs but get their money back on the boot including the portion that goes to the booting company?

that would seem ethical and logical, but that is not the case.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

worm wrote:
unfortunately, from my experience, they will not throw you a bone. I had a ticket thrown out by the judge, but he claimed that he had no control over the parking authority who booted my car (first offense, no prior outstanding parking tickets). Contacted the parking authority and they said that just because the judge didn't agree with the ticket, doesn't mean it's not wrong in their eyes. Told me I needed to get a court order for reimbursement. Contacted the judge who threw out my ticket, but his administrator told me "he doesn't do that." Even tried to contact the Chief judge to see if they would issue me a court order for reimbursement. No dice.. they claim that there is indeed a form that needs to be filled out, but if the judge, who in my case was Judge Nieto doesn't fill it out, tough shit.
Totally corrupt system.

Didn't the mayor when he was a councilman state that anyone found not guilty should not only not have to pay the ticket or court costs but get their money back on the boot including the portion that goes to the booting company?

Posted on: 2013/12/5 16:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
unfortunately, from my experience, they will not throw you a bone. I had a ticket thrown out by the judge, but he claimed that he had no control over the parking authority who booted my car (first offense, no prior outstanding parking tickets). Contacted the parking authority and they said that just because the judge didn't agree with the ticket, doesn't mean it's not wrong in their eyes. Told me I needed to get a court order for reimbursement. Contacted the judge who threw out my ticket, but his administrator told me "he doesn't do that." Even tried to contact the Chief judge to see if they would issue me a court order for reimbursement. No dice.. they claim that there is indeed a form that needs to be filled out, but if the judge, who in my case was Judge Nieto doesn't fill it out, tough shit.
Totally corrupt system.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what happens if the boot goes missing? Suppose maybe someone took an angle grinder to it and it somehow it went missing?

Posted on: 2013/12/4 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Could it be because you don't have a zone parking permit since you have a paid space?

that is exactly the reason for the boot.. just hoping it's possible if they can throw me a bone with this because i'm not some parking scofflaw.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Could it be because you don't have a zone parking permit since you have a paid space?

Posted on: 2013/12/3 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
never!

Posted on: 2013/12/3 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ladybert wrote:
2 hour parking violation.

Do you have any unpaid parking tickets?

Posted on: 2013/12/3 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
2 hour parking violation.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ladybert wrote:
curious if anyone has successfully had a boot refunded for any other reason?

i moved my car from my paid space at my apartment to the street today in order for construction to unload supplies into the apartment beneath mine (ongoing reconstruction from superstorm sandy) and i got ye ol' boot. obviously i'm psyched because i wasn't trying to park for free on the street and was trying to be accomodating to the construction dudes. i can attend the court date and provide proof that this is what happened, but i feel like JCPA won't care.

snarky responses stay home.

What was the reason they gave you for the boot?

Posted on: 2013/12/3 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
curious if anyone has successfully had a boot refunded for any other reason?

i moved my car from my paid space at my apartment to the street today in order for construction to unload supplies into the apartment beneath mine (ongoing reconstruction from superstorm sandy) and i got ye ol' boot. obviously i'm psyched because i wasn't trying to park for free on the street and was trying to be accomodating to the construction dudes. i can attend the court date and provide proof that this is what happened, but i feel like JCPA won't care.

snarky responses stay home.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
by Yvonne on 2013/9/26 10:52:04

[Here is an article on booting cars on the first offense.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_might_refund_drive.html]

So that article was from 2009- It's 2013 and it seems like they still haven't corrected their procedure...

Posted on: 2013/9/26 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
zone 11---Fairmount Avenue

Posted on: 2013/9/26 17:08

Re: Car booted on first offense
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
What zone? and what streets?

Quote:

worm wrote:
Hi there,

This afternoon, my husband was parked at the dentist office for a 4:00 appt. When he returned to the car at 5 pm, the car had a boot on it. While this is a newly designated residential permit parking zone, does that mean that it is not okay to park a car there for less than two hours? Also, it seems illegal to boot a car with no outstanding parking violations, but I'm not certain of this. Can anyone provide any information regarding this?
Thanks in advance...

Posted on: 2013/9/26 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Here is an article on booting cars on the first offense.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_might_refund_drive.html

Posted on: 2013/9/26 14:52

Car booted on first offense
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there,

This afternoon, my husband was parked at the dentist office for a 4:00 appt. When he returned to the car at 5 pm, the car had a boot on it. While this is a newly designated residential permit parking zone, does that mean that it is not okay to park a car there for less than two hours? Also, it seems illegal to boot a car with no outstanding parking violations, but I'm not certain of this. Can anyone provide any information regarding this?
Thanks in advance...

Posted on: 2013/9/26 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am having trouble finding the letter, but it was basically something like "On such and such date and time a boot was placed on my vehicle (make and model). As of that date, I had received 1 court notice for a prior ticket. Two notices were delivered in that day's mail, not allowing adequate time for a response, making the boot in violation of current parking ordinances. I would like to request a refund of the booting fee."

This was sent on legal letterhead as a favor by a lawyer I know which may have helped it get a prompt response. But never underestimate what a formal looking letter sent certified mail will get you :).

Here's where I got the info on the ordinance:http://www.scribd.com/doc/58966708/Je ... roposed-Booting-Ordinance

And here is contact info for the person I dealt with, who was actually very reasonable and responsive (turns out he's also my friend's cousin - small world):

Tito Torres, Assistant Director, of JC Parking Authority 201 653 6969 X 100

Posted on: 2013/8/14 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shab30 wrote:
fat-ass-bike - thanks for the pointer on time discrepancy.

FYI - booting on first time offense is illegal. Per the local law one has to have 3 outstanding offenses before the car can be booted. JCPA Reserved Parking spots have the same law.

Jersey City in the past has admitted to illegal booting but has not taken any action in regards to that. JCPA is outsourced so someone in the government is making good money under the table.

Here's the wording on the current Parking Permit Application:

PERMIT REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS

PLACEMENT OF PERMIT: Your Zone or Temporary Permit must be placed on the inside of the rear windshield, lower left

? Zone and Temporary Permits are to be used only for the vehicle and zone they are issued for; any vehicle can

park in any zone for 2 hours, but please read all signs before parking.

? Itinerant Permits can be used in any zone citywide.

? When you receive your zone permit you will also be provided with a listing of the streets where you can park

your vehicle. Please read this information carefully.

? Daily Visitors Permits are only valid in Zoned areas; they CANNOT be used in Designated On-Street Reserved

Permit Areas (Monthly Permits are required in these locations)

? Zone, Temporary and Itinerant permits CANNOT be used in Designated On-Street Reserved Permit Areas

? The ON-STREET RESERVED areas are as follows:

o Christopher Columbus Drive (Marin Blvd to Hudson St)

o Hoboken Avenue (Between Oakland and Baldwin Ave)

o Steuben Street (Entire Length)

o Warren Street (Montgomery Street to Morgan Street)

o Washington Street (Montgomery Street to Christopher Columbus Drive)

o Jersey Avenue (South of Grand Street by the JC Medical Center) After 3pm these become metered

parking spaces

? You must purchase a Monthly Permit to park in the On-Street RESERVED areas

? Commercial vehicles such as Taxi?s, buses or livery service vehicles are not eligible for zone permits

? Zone, Temporary and Itinerant permits CANNOT be used in Designated RESIDENT ONLY PARKING ZONES

? ZONE 8 ? NJCU 3PM-9PM Resident Only

? ZONE 11 ? St. Peter?s College 3PM-9PM Resident Only

? Zone 10 ? M-F 6AM ? Midnight & 8AM-6PM on Sat Resident Only (Richard St. Light Rail Station)

? Zone 3 ? ESSEX Street Weekdays 5PM-8AM and FRIDAY 5pm THROUGH 8AM Monday (Special

Residential Permits are also required)

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:

? If you replace your vehicle during a permit year, the original permit must be returned to the Parking Authority

for a transfer to your new vehicle. If you do not return the original permit, it will be voided and you will be

required to purchase a new permit

? You may pay for your permit with a personal check, however, if the check is returned for insufficient funds your

permit will be invalidated AND you will be charged an additional Bank fee of $35.

? You will also be subject to a summons for parking without a valid permit because yours will no longer be valid

? You may also be subject to a boot

? All future transactions at the Authority will have to be made with a Money Order.

Failure to follow the above Regulations and Restrictions will subject your vehicle to summonses and/or a Boot.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 18:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 15:04
Group:
Registered Users
VA2015 - do you still have that letter? Would you mind sharing what kind of details you put in there and whom was it addressed to? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shab30 wrote:

FYI - booting on first time offense is illegal. Per the local law one has to have 3 outstanding offenses before the car can be booted. JCPA Reserved Parking spots have the same law.

Jersey City in the past has admitted to illegal booting but has not taken any action in regards to that. JCPA is outsourced so someone in the government is making good money under the table.

There need to be 3 outstanding offenses AND 3 court summonses that have not been responded to. I know because I successfully got a boot fee refunded. I had 1 notice, and the other 2 arrived in my mailbox the same morning they booted me. That did not give me time to respond, and therefore violated the ordinance. I sent a letter on legal letterhead laying all this out and lo and behold, they actually refunded the fee.

The city was successfully sued for illegal booting a few years back so I think they are wary of it happening again.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same thing happen to me, emailed Fulop about it, and he never wrote back. It was my first time, I didn't know they boot you immediately. There also needs to be some paid metered on CC towards Exchange Place.

Quote:

penclfactory wrote:
That happened to me a few years ago (was on Washington for 10 minutes, came back and there was a boot and ticket on my car). I was pretty outraged, as it was my first offense too.

I sent an email to my then-councilman, a guy named Steve Fulop, and he emailed the parking commissioner and had the boot fee removed. Not saying it'll happen to you, but that's one of the ways he won my vote.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
NYC passed a law not long ago giving a grace period so people didn't get these kind of douche tickets where they can just sit there and wait for the time to expire. Personally I thing the whole concept of these "reserved" (sold) street parking spots is disgusting.

I think the idea that non-car owners subsidize free street parking is disgusting.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 14:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 15:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/14 14:23

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017