Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: My neighbors may have created a 'boarding house' in a 1-bedroom apt. What can I do about this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Maybe withhold rent? That'll get the landlord's attention.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 20:35

Re: My neighbors may have created a 'boarding house' in a 1-bedroom apt. What can I do about this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Like others have said report it to the city. Go to the below JC website click on the RRC link.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/

There is a ?Make a Request? for reporting Illegal Apartment(s)

Illegal Apartment(s):

Select this request if you suspect an illegal apartment in your building or neighborhood. You may attach a digital photo or file.

4 adults in a 1 bedroom apartment is pushing it let alone 8. If I was the landlord and a tenant told me about the situation I would do everything possible to find out if it was true. Just think of the extra water bill (or other included utilities) the landlord will have to pay. Along with increased maintenance...cleaning the halls, etc. Unless the landlord is in on the deal and is charging the ?extra? people $$$$$ a month that is.

Interesting story I worked with many people from India. In discussing real estate I told them I have a few 3 bedroom apartments that I rent out for say $1300 a month. Their reply to me was per bedroom right? It seems they told me I was nuts and should rent each bedroom out for $1300 a month. Told me to go Indian sharing sites to advertise. No thanks.

PS ?like Monroe said below make the call ..you could be saving you and your wife?s life.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
If you're really sure it's illegal, make the call and say you saw ten extension cords powering up space heaters and ratty toaster ovens, along with a gas oven with the door open heating the kitchen. Given some of the tragic fires in JC I'd say you'd get an inspection pretty quickly.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
That many people in a one-bedroom apartment may create a fire hazard that the JCFD would be interested in investigating (201) 547-4256). If the landlord or his tenants are indeed creating a "boarding house" situation, that is likely a problem.

If your neighbors have invited a bunch of folks over for a visit or stay from overseas, I don't know if you have much recourse.

As Heights indicated, start putting everything in writing. Videotape the door situation. Start reporting noise issues to the police. That way you have a log/evidence in case you have to break your lease - which you may be entitled to do if your landlord does not address your habitability concerns.

Unfortunately, a 2-family doesn't have the same green card regulations that a 3-family and up has (green card as in zoning and safety, not Homeland Security).

Posted on: 2013/11/27 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Yep the old smile and stare reaction. So actually these are not your neighbors but the building you live in, they are fellow tenants. Does the landlord live there or absentee ?
Well you've taken the first step...NOW KEEP a LOG !
I would contact the J.C. Housing Code Authority, Rent Leveling Board, J.C. Health Department, your ward council person, all 3 at-large council persons. Refer this situation to your local block association, and the police Captain's meeting (every 3rd Wednesday 7pm @ PS #7) Get answers whether negative or positive and remember keep meticulous records ! And most of all don't worry about insulting those in violation.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 15:33
Get on your bikes and ride !

My neighbors may have created a 'boarding house' in a 1-bedroom apt. What can I do about this?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 10:24
Group:
Registered Users
My neighbors may have created a 'boarding house' in a 1-bedroom apt. What can I do about this?

I live in the heights...in a two-family home. And according to my off-site landlord supposedly only 3-4 people (all East Indians) are living there. In the past two months I have counted 6, and in the past two days alone I think the number has grown to 8!

What annoys me most is that they have taken to leaving their upstairs door wide open in the evening (I live downstairs on the 1st floor) and the sounds are so loud (imagine 6-8 voices all high pitched) coming into your apt! And, for some unknown reason (more likely I think because a lot of them do not possess keys) they have taken to leaving all the entry doors to the building wide open. My wife caught them doing this last night (sunday as well)...and told them as clearly as possible NOT to leave the doors open. All she received were smiles and a wide-eyes stare like they don't know what she's talking about.

I've mentioned to the landlord before that I suspect more than 4 ppl upstairs but he usually calls them and they deny this. I think something has to be done because I do not like living in uncertainty as the doors are left open...and with noise unwanted from upstairs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to handle this?

Posted on: 2013/11/27 14:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017