Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: West Side Ave over by Lincoln Park
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Plus-1 on having a bike (a beater) for errands in this neighborhood. Twin City supermarket on Sip Ave. is a super-quick ride down West Side from Lincoln Park.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
There are some interesting places on and off West Side Avenue, but be warned, there is some shady dealings in the vicinity of Duncan, Delaware, West Side Avenue.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
and here we go with the whole foods debate

HAHA! I am no fan of Wholefoods at all, I stop by the one near WTC maybe every six months but not for much. I just do not like shop-rite, keyfood ( even though the one dtjc is a big improvement to the old C-town) , and I despise Pathmark.

I just think JC supermarkets have not caught up with the new residents. Most of the stores here cater to EBT card holders and not much else. Here where I am we only have bodegas within walking distance. If you want good, fresh, healthy food you just have to drive out of town IMO.

P.S. no offense to EBT card holders.

Go to A&P or just wait for the weekly Farmer's Markets. Done.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks very much for all your help.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

You'll have to take my word for it.

Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
LOL, so, in the "how much more ironic can my life get" department, my estranged husband is moving from our (my former) house in Brooklyn to West Side Ave over across from Lincoln Park. It will actually make things more convenient in terms of sharing custody of our dogs and stuff, and truth be told, I was the one who pushed him to look here. We almost moved here twice during our marriage, but he juuuust couldn't handle the leap. Now, though,he needed a lot of space and a yard for the dogs and he was going pay a ton more in Brooklyn, so I am fine with how it worked out. However, aside from knowing a bit about that small stretch of West Side, I don't know what is over there in terms of access to busses to shopping, restaurants, even the name of the neighborhood. I saw the place and it is adorable but he won't have a car and as friendly as we are, I am not going to be schlepping him all over to the supermarket. Can he take a bus to Newport, or out 440 to the movies or Pathmark? What is there in terms of dining besides the Tavern with the good burger? Any insights welcomed.

still wrestling over whether or not this is truly ironic.

Find out Here

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:

HAHA! I am no fan of Wholefoods at all, I stop by the one near WTC maybe every six months but not for much. I just do not like shop-rite, keyfood ( even though the one dtjc is a big improvement to the old C-town) , and I despise Pathmark.

I just think JC supermarkets have not caught up with the new residents. Most of the stores here cater to EBT card holders and not much else. Here where I am we only have bodegas within walking distance. If you want good, fresh, healthy food you just have to drive out of town IMO.

You certainly have a right to your opinions, but recognize you are an outlier with very high standards. Hoboken was thrilled when they got their ShopRite, as any non-E ward of JC would be to get one. The Pathmarks are skanky, but I wonder how much of that is simply their locations and clientele.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/20 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
LOL, so, in the "how much more ironic can my life get" department, my estranged husband is moving from our (my former) house in Brooklyn to West Side Ave over across from Lincoln Park. It will actually make things more convenient in terms of sharing custody of our dogs and stuff, and truth be told, I was the one who pushed him to look here. We almost moved here twice during our marriage, but he juuuust couldn't handle the leap. Now, though,he needed a lot of space and a yard for the dogs and he was going pay a ton more in Brooklyn, so I am fine with how it worked out. However, aside from knowing a bit about that small stretch of West Side, I don't know what is over there in terms of access to busses to shopping, restaurants, even the name of the neighborhood. I saw the place and it is adorable but he won't have a car and as friendly as we are, I am not going to be schlepping him all over to the supermarket. Can he take a bus to Newport, or out 440 to the movies or Pathmark? What is there in terms of dining besides the Tavern with the good burger? Any insights welcomed.

Find out Here

Posted on: 2013/11/20 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/20 18:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/20 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I guess we all have a different interpretation of decent. O well.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Shop-Rite and BJs are walking distance from Hamilton Park, Harsimus Cove and Newport.

Van Vorst Park has Pathmark.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I don't know of any neighborhood within the city that has a decent supermarket within walking distance.

Newport has Morton Williams.

http://www.mortonwilliams.com/

H.C. and H.P. have Key Food which is decent neighborhood market. I think that because it is without parking it has chosen to concentrate on what the local demographic is looking for, rather than trying to be a mini-supermarket. Alas, still no decent fish.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
1. Honey Bakery on Bergen near Fairview-awesome baked goods as well as Russian and Korean fare
2. C-town on Bergen- decent supermarket with a large selection of middle eastern goods, some organic stuff as well
3. Wonder Bagels on Bergen near Fairmount- opening soon
4. Fresh Direct delivers to the area
5. Ed's Salvage co. - great vintage clothing store on Bergen near Fairview
6. Lucky's on Bergen- good for produce (avoid the one across the street from it)
7. Lots of West Indian and Filipino grocers on West Side ave..
8. Huge dog run in Lincoln park
9. Goldies on Bergen- like/hate them. Damn good fried chicken, but because they stay open late, they attract a bad crowd.
10. I know a good dog walker. pm if you need one

Posted on: 2013/11/20 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
The neighborhood is called West Side, actually. We have ton of buses on both West Side ave & JFK Blvd. Many go to JSQ, and some go to the shopping on Rte. 440 and to DTJC to the mall area. The Animal Hospital of JC at West Side & Communipaw is great and decently priced too.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 16:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I don't know of any neighborhood within the city that has a decent supermarket within walking distance.

Newport has Morton Williams.

http://www.mortonwilliams.com/

Posted on: 2013/11/20 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jjmcv wrote:
Biggest problem will be going to the supermarket, there's no decent one within reasonable walking distance, especially with a bunch of groceries.

I think that is JC biggest problem. I don't know of any neighborhood within the city that has a decent supermarket within walking distance.

I have lived from the heights to downtown and always had to drive to neighboring towns or cities for groceries or use a delivery service.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Perfect location for a dog owner. Lincoln Park has the best dog run in the City, and walking the dog through the park is a pleasant way to spend your weekend. Walgreens is nearby on Communipaw and JFK, plus a lot of fast food places on Communipaw (McDonalds, Checkers, Dominos, KFC). Even Hudson Mall and other places along 440 are pretty accessible. Buses are frequent on both JFK and Westside, and it's a short hop Journal Sq.

To Soupy's point - the whole area around Lincoln has become much safer since they demolished Duncan projects a few years ago. I believe JCPD recently added a permanent presence to the park, in addition to the Hudson County Sheriff patrols.

PS: If you don't have a car, get a bike.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 15:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in this area and remember when there were certain blocks you knew not to walk on unless you were looking for trouble. things have gotten a lot better since then but still have to be cautious.

I still have quite a few friends that live in the west side area so I go by there from time to time. It always amazes me when I drive from downtown to the other parts of the city, how much different things are. you can definitely tell where the city money is being spent.

food wise there are a lot of hidden gems in the west side area. there's that small Dominican restaurant on sterling, the numerous Filipino spots along west side, and carmines on Mallory. transportation wise, like others have said before me, it's best to have a car, especially for grocery shopping and miscellaneous errands. to get downtown, the best way it probably the light rail. taking the bus can be a pain.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 14:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/8 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
Biggest problem will be going to the supermarket, there's no decent one within reasonable walking distance, especially with a bunch of groceries.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are plenty of shops, fruit stands, bakeries and a supermarket. It reminds me of DTJC b4 all the development. lots of old time stores and shops and few restaurants. Most of the eateries are Filipino spots but you also have Italian food a jump away.

As far as transportation there is a lightrail station on West Side but its pretty good walk from Lincoln Park. There are a few buses that gets you to Journal Square.

The neighborhood is called Journal Square until you get to Communipaw, pass Communipaw its becomes Bergen/Lafayette depending on what side of Kennedy you are on, going towards the West Side after Communipaw that part of town was GV until the developers change the name to West Bergen.

IMO I like this part of town, but unless you are near the rail or have a car you are depending on buses to get out. Best of Luck!

Posted on: 2013/11/19 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Further south on West Side Avenue is Elio's Bakery, really good breads and terrific Sicilian pizza sold by the square. Really good deli sandwiches as well, sausage bread, and their sweet bakery offerings are excellent.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 23:26

West Side Ave over by Lincoln Park
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/19 23:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017