Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 31 »

Re: Another Whole Foods fake-out in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joes would be preferable to many, I think. I hope something comes into the base of the new tower on Columbus.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Just give us a Trader Joe's its affordable across most socio-economic lines. :)

i really dont get trader joe, i went to the one in edgewater for the first time with high expectations, but walked out literally empty handed.

They dont seem to sell anything normal? it's all this weird brand/stuff i never heard of. Even the checkout is strange, you ring a bell? wtf....

That brand you never heard of is generally their store brand and is way better than whatever name brand you are used to.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

i really dont get trader joe, i went to the one in edgewater for the first time with high expectations, but walked out literally empty handed.

They dont seem to sell anything normal? it's all this weird brand/stuff i never heard of. Even the checkout is strange, you ring a bell? wtf....

Posted on: 2014/4/2 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
How about a Fairway? At this point, I don't want a Whole Foods here.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/4/2 19:19

Another Whole Foods fake-out in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Another Whole Foods fake-out in Jersey City

By Terrence T. McDonald / The Jersey Journal
on April 02, 2014 at 2:20 PM, updated April 02, 2014 at 2:27 PM

No, Whole Foods is not coming to Jersey City quite yet.

Fans of the upscale supermarket have been hoping for years that a location would open up here, saving them a $2.50 PATH ride into Manhattan or a drive out to the suburbs. And a ?Future Home of Whole Foods? sign at a construction site in the Powerhouse Arts District had some of them thinking their dreams had become a reality.

JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... html#incart_river_default

Posted on: 2014/4/2 19:16

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Tommy

That is a fair point. But it does seem like supermarkets do want to have parking- Shop Rite and A&P do- only Morton Williams doesn't, and it's the densest area of town. I guess Key Food doesn't either, but it's fairly small, and street parking is doable over there.

Also...remember that they are supposed to be building a HBLR stop at 18th Street. So it would be accessible for walkers, in addition to just those in HP, Newport, and southern Hoboken.

I know someone who lives in the city and shops at our Shop Rite. I don't think he's the only one. And then you have people who are local but who have big families and need a car to lug everything back.

As a single guy it's neither here or there to me. I obviously have a bias in favor of the Tunnel area because I can walk. I would probably have to drive or feel super eager to go anywhere south of Columbus.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think we're on the same page. My point is, if you put a higher end supermarket in the vicinity of the Holland Tunnel, you are putting it in a place that by default caters to the driver.

That being understood, the question becomes, who are you targeting with such a location? The affluent residents of Hudson County that would consider going to shop regularly in such a location (by car) are coming from Hoboken and Downtown Jersey City. That's really it. Now, do you know how many of such people do NOT own a car? It is a significant percentage.

Subtract from that the number of people who might have a car, but work in Manhattan, and prefer the ease of going into one of the many WF/TJ in Manhattan, as opposed to coming back, getting in their car just to sit in congestion to go to shopping.

Then subtract the number of people who prefer the ease and convenience of walking to ShopRite or one of the many small grocery/produce stores for their day to day needs.

There isn't enough scale for a nice supermarket in that area. A TJ or WF would have to commit to either JC or Hoboken, and be smack dab in the middle of a walkable, high foot traffic area.
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The area near Cast Iron Lofts is not convenient for anybody except maybe people in Hamilton Park, or far southwestern Hoboken.

Having a higher end supermarket in Hoboken or Jersey City is not going to draw too many people coming out of town by car. It won't be attractive to drive to Hoboken or Jersey City, over say, Edgewater. The Holland Tunnel has traffic during the times that most people go shopping. Why would anybody want to drive around there?

A nice supermarket in Jersey City will have to be in a dense area where people would walk to it. The base of 70 Columbus is actually pretty perfect. There is enough scale there to support a market. About 40,000 people live within a 12 minute walk from that location.

It's much easier to get over there than Edgewater. You can come down through the Heights or Hoboken to the north, and everyone else from JC would come up through downtown.

River Road makes 139 look like a picnic at non-rush hour times.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Fairway is a good suggestion. I agree that Trader Joe's doesn't provide the full supermarket offerings that I would be looking for. I personally have very little disposable time that I want to be spending on shopping for food. I prefer getting the job done at 1 or 2 places rather than having to hit up several.

Whole foods is lovely and I would certainly go there, but the prices are consistently high. What we need is a good quality, higher end supermarket that still offers value. Yes, this can be done and Wegman's is the perfect example. But since there is no chance for a Wegman's, I second the call for a Fairway.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The area near Cast Iron Lofts is not convenient for anybody except maybe people in Hamilton Park, or far southwestern Hoboken.

Having a higher end supermarket in Hoboken or Jersey City is not going to draw too many people coming out of town by car. It won't be attractive to drive to Hoboken or Jersey City, over say, Edgewater. The Holland Tunnel has traffic during the times that most people go shopping. Why would anybody want to drive around there?

A nice supermarket in Jersey City will have to be in a dense area where people would walk to it. The base of 70 Columbus is actually pretty perfect. There is enough scale there to support a market. About 40,000 people live within a 12 minute walk from that location.

It's much easier to get over there than Edgewater. You can come down through the Heights or Hoboken to the north, and everyone else from JC would come up through downtown.

River Road makes 139 look like a picnic at non-rush hour times.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Fairway or whatever. If it means skinnier commuters in the PATH trains and less bulky poop clogging the overtaxed sewer system then I'm all for it.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

There's also the Toll Bros. project, and that building will have 40,000+ sq. feet of retail space at the base. Both locations would be suitable locations for a Fairway.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Agreed. If you're looking for some rare berry or hard to find item, I get that. But for weekly purchases, Trader Joe's makes so much more sense, IMHO.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Why would you want a Whole Paycheck instead of a Trader Joe's? Do you guys all have that much disposable income that you don't care?

Whole Foods =/= Trader Joe's. If you want a more comprehensive produce selection, albeit at higher prices, I can see why someone would prefer Whole Foods.

I'd personally just prefer a local spot that sold more organic produce and grass fed meat. I like Trader Joe's for their snacks and prepared meals.. but I don't need it.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Agreed. If you're looking for some rare berry or hard to find item, I get that. But for weekly purchases, Trader Joe's makes so much more sense, IMHO.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Why would you want a Whole Paycheck instead of a Trader Joe's? Do you guys all have that much disposable income that you don't care?

Whole Foods =/= Trader Joe's. If you want a more comprehensive produce selection, albeit at higher prices, I can see why someone would prefer Whole Foods.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/12 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/11/12 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/12 15:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/6 16:15
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard nothing but great things about Fairway, and agree it would be the best of both worlds between TJ and WF (Wegman's aside considering the lack of desire for north NJ locations). I'd be happy to push the folks at Fairway a bit, if additional voices will help.

As for space/land, I think the area near Cast Iron Lofts (14-18 near Coles) would be solid if all is not locked up already by developers. Potential for parking there is huge - tough to do full grocery runs sometimes without a car and I'm sure the stores would be more interested in that as an option vs. more pedestrian area/smaller orders. Not sure anything else downtown has enough space. Agreed on the Journal Sq area, too...

Posted on: 2013/11/12 14:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/27 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
In my opinion, the empty land at Journal Square would be a great location for a Whole Foods like the Union Sq location. There's the PATH right there so easy to transport groceries to/from store/home.

Don't know why the hell the restaurant row was demolished in the first place but it's been years since I have been seeing the empty land. Whole Foods would be a great business to have in the JSQ neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/11/11 20:39

Re: Whole Foods/Trader Joe's in JC?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm not here to debate with you, so I'll just copy and paste Michael Sinatra's response. He's in the Whole Foods Public Relations and Public Affairs division:

A PR Manager is not in charge of store opening decisions, just relaying the official corporate line. I notice the petition already has +200 more signatures than last night. It's worth a shot that someone at Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe's will pay attention. Sign it and pass it along if you haven't already:

https://www.change.org/petitions/trade ... ey-city-for-our-residents

Posted on: 2013/11/11 2:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Just a small correction Silvery Jessica a new Wegmans is planned for Northern NJ in Mahwah. So those with their country homes upstate can make a pit stop on the way home here.

That's very welcome news that I knew nothing about, and also fortuitous since I drive through Mahwah on my way home from my country home upstate.

Posted on: 2013/11/11 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Just a small correction Silvery Jessica a new Wegmans is planned for Northern NJ in Mahwah. So those with their country homes upstate can make a pit stop on the way home here.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Whole Foods doesn't "pre-announce" things or give clues. You have your belief, I have mine - we'll see how it plays out. I was just really more curious about why you think a store in Newark precludes something here. Seems dubious to me.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

The announcement of a Whole Foods opening in Newark basically sounded the death knell for any chance of a Whole Foods in Jersey City.

Why? One has less than nothing to do with the other. There are stores nine blocks apart in Manhattan. There will be a WF in JC within two years.

I'm not here to debate with you, so I'll just copy and paste Michael Sinatra's response. He's in the Whole Foods Public Relations and Public Affairs division:

"Hi all,
On behalf of the entire team at Whole Foods Market, thank you for reaching out to us with your interest in bringing our store to Jersey City. As a resident of Hudson County myself, I certainly understand your desire. Our real estate teams are consistently out and about looking at potential opportunities to serve more shoppers in the area and we've long heard loud and clear from Jersey City residents that they want a Whole Foods. Should you ever have a suggested location, please feel free to let us know in our "Suggest a Store" forum of our website.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/forum ... 36-4fab-9cec-ae561906a267
In the meantime, we appreciate your continued patronage in Vauxhall and Edgewater... also, please know that our store in Tribeca, located on Greenwich St, 2 blocks north of the path at WTC, does in fact deliver to Jersey City and offers personal shopping and concierge services. For more information about those services, call our store at (212) 349-6555."

Thanks so much,

Michael Sinatra
Public Relations & Public Affairs
Whole Foods Market, Northeast Region

Give him a call and plead your case.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

The announcement of a Whole Foods opening in Newark basically sounded the death knell for any chance of a Whole Foods in Jersey City.

Why? One has less than nothing to do with the other. There are stores nine blocks apart in Manhattan. There will be a WF in JC within two years.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I've been actively talking to the marketing people at Fairway for close to a year about a JC location. I agree that Fairway is the best choice of all of these options, and they genuinely know how to integrate themselves into a community. The Red Hook Fairway hired almost exclusively from the local housing projects and has engaged on a personal level with all residents. They have been an AMAZING asset to Red Hook. They are affordable and full-service. The location on Route 46 is one of the best supermarkets I've ever been to.

Wegman's has stated in print for over a decade that they have no desire or intent to move any closer to NYC/Northern NJ than they are at present, because the space costs would make it impossible for them to operate the way they want to.

FAIRWAY is very responsive and eager to know what people want. If enough people make it clear that there is a demand, they will definitely consider coming here.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the fairway in paramus yesterday and they are doing surveys to decide where to put their next store.... I would rather fairway than either TJ or WF! TJ is nice but I can't really shop there for everything - its nice for snacks and some dry/pantry goods but it isn't a meal. WF is awesome but too expensive for my every day shopping.... Fairway is the best of both worlds - huge specialty good section, amazing hot bar/salad/pickles etc, meats & cheeses to die for, great fresh fish and organic meats etc not to mentioned really great selection of produce including some local stuff

Posted on: 2013/11/10 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightGirl wrote:
Whole Foods/Trader Joe's in JC, our favorite topic on this site, second to debating whether or not Taqueria sucks...

Someone has started a petition to get Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in Jersey City. It may be a long shot, but why not? Sign here and spread the word:

The announcement of a Whole Foods opening in Newark basically sounded the death knell for any chance of a Whole Foods in Jersey City. Jersey City residents now will have two options to get Whole foods via a PATH ride (Tribeca and Newark). Trader Joe's would be a better fit for JC, and they would be smart to open a location here.

http://www.traderjoes.com/about/location-requests-form.asp

I've posted this before. Send them a message!

Posted on: 2013/11/10 17:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Whole Foods/Trader Joe's in JC, our favorite topic on this site, second to debating whether or not Taqueria sucks...

Someone has started a petition to get Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in Jersey City. It may be a long shot, but why not? Sign here and spread the word:

Posted on: 2013/11/10 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
As soon as Rainbow goes belly up, I could see a Trader Joes in that space. It's huge!

A good point.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 19:45

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017