Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: In Marvel Comics, Ms. Marvel returns as Muslim teen living in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Predictably, this "Ms. Muslim" character was a major flop.

Sales have plummeted, and Marvel regrets caving into the liberals and sullying their brand with this diversity garbage.

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/04/0 ... se-characters-slump-sales

Damn straight, you tell 'em Grand Wizard!

Although I'm 100% right, I don't have to say anything. The reaction of the market speaks volumes. I'm just confirming the obvious ;)

Local Jersey City racist makes a cameo as a villain:

http://screenrant2.imgix.net/wp-conte ... q=20&w=786&h=393&fit=crop

Posted on: 2017/5/1 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
or the Character could just need a different writer. Brian Michael Bendis took multiple D list heroes from Marvel and made them huge.

I don't like the character because shes basically a Mr. Fantastic rip off(power wise).

Posted on: 2017/4/30 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal was the best-selling graphic novel in October 2014,[46] and by November 2014, it reached #2 on The New York Times Best Seller list of paperback graphic books.[47] In April 2015, Ms. Marvel Volume 2: Generation Why debuted at #4 on The New York Times Best Seller list of paperback graphic books.[48] In July 2015, Ms. Marvel Volume 3: Crushed debuted at #3 on The New York Times Best Seller list of paperback graphic books.[49]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel_(Kamala_Khan)

Posted on: 2017/4/30 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

raid930 wrote:
Quote:
Although I'm 100% right, I don't have to say anything. The reaction of the market speaks volumes. I'm just confirming the obvious ;)

I don't think you're right at all. Grab your news from more than a single source, or read the twitter links at the bottom of your source. Having some knowledge of comic books also helps, but if racism is your thing then I doubt you'll see reason. This Ms. Marvel has entered the New York Times Graphic Novel/Short Story best-seller list at #4 or better with every trade paperback release.

The new Ms. Marvel series is pretty great. What is killing Marvel's sales is a rush of new "event" storylines -- Crossover or event storylines used to happen once every couple of years, but in the last few years Marvel has had one "event" after another. These events crossover a handful of comics into a joined storyline - in the beginning it was novelty, but more recently it's a way to sell more comics. They take a single main story arc and cross it over into 4 or more core character's stories. In order to see what happens with the single character you care about you now have to read 4 other books. At $5 an issue the costs really add up. If you want to read everything about Ms. Marvel outside of just the core published 12 issues, you'd have to buy close to 100 other comics just to see what she's been up to (Secret Wars, Civil War II, Inhumans, The All-New Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, S.H.I.E.L.D...the list really goes on).

Long story short, don't use your racism to cover up shitty sales tactics - fans have no issue with the multicultural aspect of the new Marvel characters, they have issues having to buy a thousand issues at $5 a pop to keep up with the disaster that is Marvel's multiverse and never-ending cross-over events. The stories have never been better, but they are all over the place. However, if you're going to be racist go pick up a copy of Captain America: Steve Rogers as Captain America is now a Nazi, you may find things to your liking there.

You can prattle on about "racism" all you want. Does it make you feel better? Like a virtuous person?

Now that you've gotten that ignorant rant out of the way, allow me to bring you back to reality.

Marvel's Vice President of sales is quoted in the article. Unlike you, he actually knows what he's talking about. Let's see what he has to say about how fans react to this forced diversity garbage:

?What we heard was that people didn?t want any more diversity. They didn?t want female characters out there. That?s what we heard, whether we believe that or not.

?We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against," he said.

Posted on: 2017/4/30 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

raid930 wrote:
Quote:

I don't think you're right at all. Grab your news from more than a single source, or read the twitter links at the bottom of your source. Having some knowledge of comic books also helps, but if racism is your thing then I doubt you'll see reason. This Ms. Marvel has entered the New York Times Graphic Novel/Short Story best-seller list at #4 or better with every trade paperback release.

The new Ms. Marvel series is pretty great. What is killing Marvel's sales is a rush of new "event" storylines -- Crossover or event storylines used to happen once every couple of years, but in the last few years Marvel has had one "event" after another. These events crossover a handful of comics into a joined storyline - in the beginning it was novelty, but more recently it's a way to sell more comics. They take a single main story arc and cross it over into 4 or more core character's stories. In order to see what happens with the single character you care about you now have to read 4 other books. At $5 an issue the costs really add up. If you want to read everything about Ms. Marvel outside of just the core published 12 issues, you'd have to buy close to 100 other comics just to see what she's been up to (Secret Wars, Civil War II, Inhumans, The All-New Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, S.H.I.E.L.D...the list really goes on).

Long story short, don't use your racism to cover up shitty sales tactics - fans have no issue with the multicultural aspect of the new Marvel characters, they have issues having to buy a thousand issues at $5 a pop to keep up with the disaster that is Marvel's multiverse and never-ending cross-over events. The stories have never been better, but they are all over the place. However, if you're going to be racist go pick up a copy of Captain America: Steve Rogers as Captain America is now a Nazi, you may find things to your liking there.

He's probably happy they Made Captain America Great Again

Posted on: 2017/4/30 5:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/16 2:55
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2017/4/30 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Sales have plummeted, and Marvel regrets caving into the liberals and sullying their brand with this diversity garbage.

Posted on: 2017/4/30 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Comics, particularly Marvel have always been forerunners in the social change movement. This goes back to 60s and 70s when you had very diverse teams of "good guys".

Classic example is Nick Fury and the Howlin' Commandos. That team was ranged from the African American Gabriel blowing his trumpet to the good ol' southern boy named Reb. Also Irish, English French Japanese... whose characters were some what stereotypical, but united against Hitler an Tojo.

They created Luke Cage and the Falcon to appeal to new readers and energize the base. And the storylines were almost soap opera like. The problem today is they have jumped the shark turning Captain America (white male) into a Nazi Hydra Fascist, but worse, they forgot that their audience is teenage males. I do not think teenage girls are into comic books.

If the Marvel movies reflected anything in their print editions... they would be big time flops.

The primary audience for the Marvel Movies are those of us that grew-up on comic books... turn Cap' into a racist and you will see those movie audiences disappear too.

Posted on: 2017/4/29 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2017/4/29 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/29 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

The Writer Behind a Muslim Marvel Superhero on Her Faith in Comics

G. Willow Wilson’s unlikely path to the center of a debate about diversity in comic books.

THE NEW YORKER -  By   

Late last month, the writer G. Willow Wilson was at home, in Seattle, on a self-imposed Twitter break; she was one chapter away from finishing her second novel, a historical fantasy about a young girl on a quest to find a mythical king of birds in Andalusia. At the end of the day, she logged on to the social network to find her mentions flooded with links to an interview with David Gabriel, a senior vice-president at Marvel Entertainment, on the Web site ICv2. Wilson is the latest writer to take on Ms. Marvel, a hero first conceived, in 1968, as a white woman named Carol Danvers. In Wilson’s version of the comic, launched in 2014, Ms. Marvel is a Pakistani-American teen-age girl from Jersey City named Kamala Khan.

In the interview, Gabriel described a summit for comics retailers that Marvel had held the previous week to combat declining sales. “What we heard was that people didn’t want any more diversity,” he said. “They didn’t want female characters out there. That’s what we heard, whether we believe that or not.” Wilson’s first reaction was to feel sorry for Gabriel—in her estimation a passionate person who had spoken clumsily. (As the Times later reported, only two of the fourteen retailers at Marvel’s summit had raised these complaints.) Wilson received e-mails from NPR and the Guardian asking for comment, but she was in her novel-writing headspace—yoga pants, coffee, tunnel vision—and was determined to sit the controversy out. A few hours later, she noticed that several blogs had used images of Ms. Marvel to illustrate posts about the purported unprofitability of diverse comics. She decided to weigh in.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/pers ... w-wilsons-american-heroes

Posted on: 2017/4/29 15:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/27 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Isn't this Ms. Marvel just a poor person's Plastic Man or Mr. Fantastic?

No, Plastic Man or Mr. Fantastic. Kamala Khan, Ms. Marvel, is a complicated and conflicted Jersey City high school kid who happens to develop superpowers. She was born in Jersey City in a Pakistani immigrant family. Her parents are moderate but strict. Her brother is a more observant Muslim. Kamala goes to the Marvel version of McNair High School and has an ethnically mixed group of friends pretty typical of Jersey City. In the Peter Parker/Spiderman tradition, she fights evil while dealing with day to day issues, like how much she really wants to eat a BLT sandwich.

Posted on: 2015/11/25 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't this Ms. Marvel just a poor person's Plastic Man or Mr. Fantastic?

Posted on: 2015/11/24 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
For the record, a moderator/administrater changed the thread title.

My original thread was titled:

"Gentrifiers are the real world villains featured in the all-new ?Ms. Marvel? from Jersey City"

Shame on the moderation on this place.
The threads were merged yo. Take it down a notch.

btw, does anyone here want to confirm the rumors that Ms Marvel was cheering on her rooftop when the Twin Towers fell? I have a feeling Yvonne or Monroe saw her.

Posted on: 2015/11/24 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

"Gentrifiers are the real world villains featured in the all-new ?Ms. Marvel? from Jersey City"

Dude, you need to chill out a little. There is nothing nefarious going on. The BBS software they use consolidates threads based on similarity of content. It is confusing at times, and many people have complained about it in the past. It is not like the moderator/webmaster is singling you out and changing the title of a thread. Your post got consolidated into a previous thread. That is all. Scroll up and down and you will see what I am saying.

Posted on: 2015/11/24 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Wonder what high school she goes to.....

McNair Academic High School in Hamilton Park, apparently...

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20 ... /images/d/d9/Kamala_Khan_(Earth-616)_and_Coles_Academic_High_School_001.jpg

Posted on: 2015/11/24 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/24 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Ideas for storylines:

- Ms Marvel vs Spectra
- Ms Marvel cleans up Morris Canal park
- Ms Marvel saves the Embankment

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/11/24 19:49

Gentrifiers are the real world villains featured in the all-new ‘Ms. Marvel’ from Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://fusion.net/story/236977/gentrifiers-ms-marvel/

Quote:
Kamala Khan isn?t just the newest Ms. Marvel, she?s also an Inhuman-descended, Pakistani American teenaged girl from Jersey City.

Following the events of Secret Wars, Kamala joins Sam Wilson, the new Captain America, Miles Morales, the new Spider-Man, Jane Foster, the new Thor, and Sam Alexander, the half-Latino Nova as the newest member of the much more diverse, All-New, All-Different Avengers.

After months of defending Jersey City from various Inhuman-related threats, Kamala finds her now famous alter-ego being co-opted by a shady real estate development interested in ?cleaning up Jersey City.? Despite the upbeat ad?s implications that it?s just like Ms. Marvel in its interest in making Jersey City safer and more livable, the city?s current residents see the ad (and the developer) as an insidious threat.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Real world inspiration?

Resized Image
Resized ImageResized Image

Posted on: 2015/11/24 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
'Ms. Marvel,' Kamala Khan, & 'X-Men' Writer G. Willow Wilson Signs Marvel Comics Exclusive Agreement!

MSTARS NEWS
By Jorge Solis | Dec 17, 2014 08:00 PM EST

As we previously mentioned, Kamala Khan is a Pakistani-American Muslim born in Jersey City. Khan is the first Muslim character to headline her own superhero title. In the aftermath of the Inhumanity storyline, the Terrigen Mists have suddenly activated dormant Inhuman cells in ordinary people. Now with the ability to shape-shift, Khan calls herself, Ms. Marvel, in honor of Carol Danvers, whose getting a movie of her own in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Read more: http://www.mstarz.com/articles/44536/ ... -wilson.htm#ixzz3MEKJjQmd

Posted on: 2014/12/18 6:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
I guess the female muslim mutant superhero thats been around for around 10 years means nothing.

Is she from Jersey City as well? If not, then no.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 13:18
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I guess the female muslim mutant superhero thats been around for around 10 years means nothing.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 5:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ms. Marvel, aka Muslim teen Kamala Khan from Jersey City, set to make historic comic book series debut

The 16-year-old Pakistani-American girl is part of publisher's wave of female super hero titles, including Black Widow and She-Hulk, and also joins rival DC Comics' Green Lantern Simon Baz as rare Muslim heroes.

By Ethan Sacks / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 7:44 PM

Resized Image

The new Ms. Marvel is set to make a Hulk-sized impact on the comic book industry.

Marvel Comics? ?Ms. Marvel #1? hits comic store shelves Wednesday, introducing readers to a new Muslim super heroine whose secret identity is 16-year-old Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American of Jersey City.

The character ?- the brainchild of writer G. Willow Wilson, an Islamic convert herself, and Muslim editor Sana Amanat ? is an attempt to punch through long-standing stereotypes in a medium that has largely been the purview of muscle-bound white crime-fighters.

Read more from the Daily News

Posted on: 2014/2/5 5:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Ideas for storylines:

- Ms Marvel vs Spectra
- Ms Marvel cleans up Morris Canal park
- Ms Marvel saves the Embankment

Posted on: 2013/11/7 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Dickinson of course, it has the most dramatic "establishing shot" image. But maybe it's not "street grit" enough.

How dare they say JC needed a superhero, we already had one, Ghost Dog.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Writer of Marvel comic set in Jersey City: 'Every great city needs a hometown superhero'

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

G. Willow Wilson, 31, told The Jersey Journal the series' creators picked Jersey City as the new Ms. Marvel?s home because of the city?s large Indo-Pakistani community.

Wilson said Jersey City has ?the urban look and feel we wanted? for "Ms. Marvel," which hits newsstands in February.

And don?t expect a generic cityscape in the comic?s panels, she said.

?Everywhere possible, we'll be using actual street locations in Jersey City,? Wilson said in an email. ?No cop-out generic cities here!?

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/11/7 20:39

Jersey City Teenage Islamic Super Hero
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/6 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Sure living in JC but don't have your hopes high. The city most likely will never be featured in it and if it is the writers will make to be a shitty place and how much she wants to get out. I bet money on it.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 23:04

In Marvel Comics, Ms. Marvel returns as Muslim teen living in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City, the suburbs?

---------------------------------------

In Marvel Comics, Ms. Marvel returns as Muslim teen

November 5, 2013, 4:40 PM

Marvel Comics is bringing Ms. Marvel back as a 16-year-old daughter of Pakistani immigrants living in Jersey City named Kamala Khan.

The character -- among the first to be a series protagonist who is both a woman and Muslim -- is part of Marvel Entertainment's efforts to reflect a growing diversity among its readers while keeping ahold of the contemporary relevance that have underlined its foundation since the creation of Spider-Man and the X-Men in the early 1960s.

Writer G. Willow Wilson and artist Adrian Alphona, working with editor Sana Amanat, say the series reflects Khan's vibrant but kinetic world, learning to deal with superpowers, family expectations and adolescence.

Amanat calls the series a "desire to explore the Muslim-American diaspora from an authentic perspective" and what it means to be young and lost amid expectations by others while also telling the story of a teenager coming to grips with having amazing powers.

"I wanted Ms. Marvel to be true-to-life, something real people could relate to, particularly young women. High school was a very vivid time in my life, so I drew heavily on those experiences -- impending adulthood, dealing with school, emotionally charged friendships that are such a huge part of being a teenager," said Willow, whose previous comics work includes Vertigo's "Cairo" and the series "Air."

"It's for all the geek girls out there and everybody else who's ever looked at life from the fringe."

She can grow and shrink her limbs and her body and, Willow said, ultimately, she'll be able to shape shift into other forms.

The idea came after a discussion with senior editor Stephen Wacker as they compared stories about growing up.

From there it germinated into a "character for all those little girls who are growing up now the way you are growing up," she recalled. Wilson was brought on board to write the series and the team quickly got approval from Marvel's creative committee to move forward.

DC Comics last fall relaunched its "Green Lantern" series with Simon Baz, an Arab American and Muslim. The character reflects writer Geoff Johns' Lebanese ancestry and his upbringing in the Detroit area.

There have been a few others: Marvel Comics has Dust, a young Afghan woman whose mutant ability to manipulate sand and dust has been part of the popular X-Men books. DC Comics in late 2010 introduced Nightrunner, a young Muslim hero of Algerian descent reared in Paris.

The creative team said that Khan's backstory, growing up Muslim, is an element of the story, but not the critical foundation, either.

"Kamala is not unlike Peter Parker," said Marvel Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso of the teenager turned wall crawler. "She's a 16-year-old girl from the suburbs who is trying to figure out who she is and trying to forge an identity when she suddenly bestows great power and learns the great responsibility that comes with it."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-5 ... l-returns-as-muslim-teen/

Posted on: 2013/11/5 22:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017