Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NY Daily News: Jersey City is emerging as the hot new foodie destination in the NYC area
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This article should have had a disclosure that it was a paid advertisement.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 9:29
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: NY Daily News: Jersey City is emerging as the hot new foodie destination in the NYC area
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
My problem with foodie is not so much it's pretentiousness, it's that it's a silly word where actual ones exist.

Epicure is euphonic and has a great etymology. Gastronome, gourmet, gourmand. Those are nice words. Foodie is sort of marketing-speak.

If you want to go lowbrow, go with chowhound, even if it's a ripoff of the website.

As for the quality of eateries in downtown JC. Over the past 20 years it's gone from a place where there were very few restaurants to a place where you can get a good meal in almost any type of cuisine. There are also a few very high quality restaurants. I'll leave it at that for now.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
You people amaze me. Yes it's about all of JC. But DTJC specifically, if you're going to say Satis, Amelia's, light Horse etc aren't good, then you're an idiot.

You people just dissent to dissent, for spite. These places must be SO bad that they're ALWAYS packed. Please, get off your high f*ckimg horses and join reality. To your points though, it's hard to judge food when you fools have your heads so far up your own asses, you're chewing last nights corn.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Most of the yummy food I ate in JC is not DTJC its outside that area (except Thirty Acres).. like Little India, Greenville, and Westside. Rosylin may have a point.... Don't walk away mad because she is not in agreement with this DTJC advertisement.

LMAO maybe these places are packed because idiots like you have no where else to go.. when I first moved to JC Hard Grove was packed every night which didn't make it a nice spot, it was all that was offered in the early 90's. The Jamaican spot in Bergen Lafayette is packed every night which still does not make it a great spot, ( its pretty good) but not great but again its the only spot on that side of BL.

Exactly. I hate "foodies" anyway. Gives me douche-chills.

"Hate" is harsh Vigilante, C'mon man. Foodies aren't douches. Just people who love to patronize local businesses that offer up good eats. Where's this coming from?

"Foodie" has to be one of the most pretentious words ever. The people who describe themselves as such are insufferable.

I'd say insecure Trolls are equally so. I appreciate those who give patronage to local restaurants and in doing so may consider themselves foodies. Bravo. Keep bringing money in to local establishments. If you are insecure and "pretentious" is the first word that comes to mind, you need to resolve some issues for yourself. But do it at a local restaurant over some great food. Cheers.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
You people amaze me. Yes it's about all of JC. But DTJC specifically, if you're going to say Satis, Amelia's, light Horse etc aren't good, then you're an idiot.

You people just dissent to dissent, for spite. These places must be SO bad that they're ALWAYS packed. Please, get off your high f*ckimg horses and join reality. To your points though, it's hard to judge food when you fools have your heads so far up your own asses, you're chewing last nights corn.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Most of the yummy food I ate in JC is not DTJC its outside that area (except Thirty Acres).. like Little India, Greenville, and Westside. Rosylin may have a point.... Don't walk away mad because she is not in agreement with this DTJC advertisement.

LMAO maybe these places are packed because idiots like you have no where else to go.. when I first moved to JC Hard Grove was packed every night which didn't make it a nice spot, it was all that was offered in the early 90's. The Jamaican spot in Bergen Lafayette is packed every night which still does not make it a great spot, ( its pretty good) but not great but again its the only spot on that side of BL.

"Hate" is harsh Vigilante, C'mon man. Foodies aren't douches. Just people who love to patronize local businesses that offer up good eats. Where's this coming from?

"Foodie" has to be one of the most pretentious words ever. The people who describe themselves as such are insufferable.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/8 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I never said we had the best. To say it totally sucks just shows her ignorance.

And since she refuses to offer her opinion on what places are better, she is just a troll, offering nothing but negativity.

Roslyn must have loved it here with how much she talks about it. I'll guarantee she's just bitter she can't afford it here anymore. Lets throw her a pity party!

Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Glad i could make you "LYAO". Youre so hip and trendy!

Considering we in DTJC are essentially 15 minutes from many places in manhattan and still choose to pack our own restaurants, puts your little theory on its head, stupid.

I've eaten all over manhattan and Brooklyn and some of DTJCs spots rival some of their better places. But next to manhattan, most places in the country will still pale. Doesn't make those other spots bad, you elitist prick.

You go ahead and keep enjoying your BL spots. Let me know how that works out for you.

I am not sure why you are being so hostile to that poster. Geez Louise! I actually prefer ethnic food and a lot of the ethnic foods are actually outside DTJC. It's not a bad thing to like different things. I would agree that there is better Indian, Italian, etc outside of DT.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Considering we in DTJC are essentially 15 minutes from many places in manhattan and still choose to pack our own restaurants, puts your little theory on its head, stupid.

I've eaten all over manhattan and Brooklyn and some of DTJCs spots rival some of their better places. But next to manhattan, most places in the country will still pale. Doesn't make those other spots bad, you elitist prick.

You go ahead and keep enjoying your BL spots. Let me know how that works out for you.

I am not sure why you are being so hostile to that poster. Geez Louise! I actually prefer ethnic food and a lot of the ethnic foods are actually outside DTJC. It's not a bad thing to like different things. I would agree that there is better Indian, Italian, etc outside of DT.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
And Roslyn is still a troll who refuses to admit from under which she has crawled.

Seriously, eat a bag of d*cks Roslyn.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The big picture here is once a place gets a reputation for having good restaurants it attracts more of them. I don't care whether or not anyone agrees with a particular list, or even agrees is there is any good food in JC at all, the important thing is the publicity.

In the last few years there are a bunch of pretty decent places that opened up that I enjoy: GP's, Roman Nose, Me Casa, Park & Sixth, Orale, Kraverie. I'm sure there are others that slipped my mind.

If you don't like what is here now, wait a few years and there will be lots more. That is what is important.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
This list spans sit down, take out, delis, pubs, etc.

Laico's, New Park Tavern, Spoon, used to love Just Sonny's (RIP), 15 Fox Place for special occasions, Carmine's, Salumeria Ercolano, Taqueria Mi Mariachi...

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Okay, I'll bite. What are the good restaurants in Greenville and Westside?

Please yelp me..

Posted on: 2013/11/7 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Okay, I'll bite. What are the good restaurants in Greenville and Westside?

Please yelp me..

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/6 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/6 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/6 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I was surprised not to see Hollywood Chicken covered.

I can only assume this was a joke.

Razza, 30 Acres, Satis, Taqueria, Marco & Pepe, Barcade were mentioned...

Hollywood Chicken is not in the same category....this is the category Hollywood should be in

Chinese takeout place on newark ave, 99 cent store that sells canned foods, and hobo on street that offers you drugs

Posted on: 2013/11/6 22:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
I am always glad to see positive articles about JC and of course about the food scene, but it would be nice if one of them came out and wasn't full of this condescending, "oh, wow, there are people on the other side of the river who aren't aliens or thugs". I have lived here since 1999 and had the sensitivity to realize I wasn't the Christopher Columbus of Harsimus Cove, and it kills me to keep reading the same "I'm a genius for finding New Jersey" crap fifteen years later. Oh well. It's a blessing and a curse, I suppose.

I had a friend that worked at the Daily News. He grew up and lived in New Jersey. His editor told him, "If it was up to me, I'd never hire anyone but New Yorkers." This mindset isn't going away anytime soon...

Yet the paper is printed in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
I am always glad to see positive articles about JC and of course about the food scene, but it would be nice if one of them came out and wasn't full of this condescending, "oh, wow, there are people on the other side of the river who aren't aliens or thugs". I have lived here since 1999 and had the sensitivity to realize I wasn't the Christopher Columbus of Harsimus Cove, and it kills me to keep reading the same "I'm a genius for finding New Jersey" crap fifteen years later. Oh well. It's a blessing and a curse, I suppose.

I had a friend that worked at the Daily News. He grew up and lived in New Jersey. His editor told him, "If it was up to me, I'd never hire anyone but New Yorkers." This mindset isn't going away anytime soon...

New York Staters, or NYCers? Natives, or anybody currently living in NY?

I think somebody who lives in Buffalo is a little less plugged into the NYC news scene than somebody living anywhere in Northern NJ. Likewise, a guy from Ohio who has lived in Manhattan for 2 years, is he more of a New Yorker than somebody who grew up a couple of miles from Manhattan in NJ?

Another example of unintelligent people letting invisible state lines get in the way of the area being one cohesive region.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/6 20:07
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/6 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Haha, I totally agree.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I align myself with friends who largely disagree with me. Makes for much more interesting banter than a bunch of tools always nodding in agreement. But that's just a matter of taste.

Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
"Oh, you like different tacos than me? You're obviously an uneducated/yuppy local/transplant senior citizen/snot faced brat who doesn't know anything about food." - Average JCList conversation

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
That's kind of what makes it fun LOL.

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
They mentioned Taqueria so let's resume the argument over whether their tacos suck or not and whether they are big meanie faces we can boycott.

JClist's food culture is 60% arguing and rivalries I think.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I align myself with friends who largely disagree with me. Makes for much more interesting banter than a bunch of tools always nodding in agreement. But that's just a matter of taste.

Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
"Oh, you like different tacos than me? You're obviously an uneducated/yuppy local/transplant senior citizen/snot faced brat who doesn't know anything about food." - Average JCList conversation

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
They mentioned Taqueria so let's resume the argument over whether their tacos suck or not and whether they are big meanie faces we can boycott.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/6 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/6 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/6 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I was surprised not to see Hollywood Chicken covered.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I said the same thing to myself about buying downtown 10 years ago, but I was too young and couldn't afford it. Thanks dad for not spotting me the cash! LOL

It really is amazing how different JC is from when I was in high school and before, but some consider it a curse of good fortune (over crowding, parking, etc.).

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
A few months back, I was having a conversation with someone about opening a restaurant here. They kept arguing about needing a liquor license and how Manhattan is where he needs to be. I was surprised over the shortsightedness.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
A few months back, I was having a conversation with someone about opening a restaurant here. They kept arguing about needing a liquor license and how Manhattan is where he needs to be. I was surprised over the shortsightedness.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 12:37
Dos A Cero

NY Daily News: Jersey City is emerging as the hot new foodie destination in the NYC area
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
http://nydn.us/1bVWw5J

Jersey City is emerging as the hot new foodie destination in the NYC area

The hottest new foodie neighborhood has a posh wood-fired pizzeria, a buzzed-about hipster bar and a new eatery on the way from Park Slope?s most-hyped chef.

No, it?s not Bushwick, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Ditmas Park, Greenwood Heights or Ridgewood. In fact, it?s not even in New York state.

Apparently all those years of ?sixth borough? jokes have finally rubbed off on Jersey City, which is in the midst of a culinary renaissance.

Building at 8 Erie St. in Jersey City where partners Dale Talde, John Bush and David Massoni will have their new restaurant
Joe Tabacca for The New York Daily News

Building at 8 Erie St. in Jersey City where partners Dale Talde, John Bush and David Massoni will have their new restaurant

Star chef Dale Talde, best known for cooking up a storm on Bravo?s ?Top Chef? and his well-reviewed eponymous Park Slope eatery, has partnered with Anthony Carrino and John Colaneri, the stars of HGTV?s ?Kitchen Cousins,? to open a second location of his Asian-fusion restaurant Talde in Jersey City next year.

Talde admits he was hesitant to cross the Hudson ? just as he was hesitant to cross the East River. It?s only been a few years since he left his stomping grounds of the lower East Side to open the original Talde, along with his other Park Slope joints Thistle Hill Tavern and Pork Slope.

?It was the exact same reason I was skeptical about going into Brooklyn,? Talde says. ?I had just never been there.?

Carrino and Colaneri convinced Talde and his business partners to check out a downtown Jersey City building they are renovating ? a giant, light-filled space built in 1892 as the Garden State?s first telephone switching station for calls between New Jersey and New York.

The Jersey City-based cousins had hoped to convince Talde to open a stall in a planned Italian market in the building, but after seeing the space and visiting other new eateries around Jersey City, the chef and his business partners opted to take over half the ground floor for a new restaurant. The top floors of the building at 8 Erie St., between Bay and First Sts. ? once Jersey City Police headquarters ? will soon be convereted luxury apartments.

?It reminds me of all the Brooklyn neighborhoods,? says David Massoni, one of Talde?s partners. ?There are corners I?ll turn down and it feels like Bushwick. Other corners I?ll turn down and it feels like you?re right in the heart of Park Slope.?

The new Talde won?t be Jersey City?s first restaurant with New York cred. Thirty Acres, opened by Momofuku alums, has been luring Manhattanites over the bridge since last April. Barcade, an offshoot of the popular video game-centric Williamsburg bar, gives downtown Jersey City a craft beer option. Locals cite restaurants like Mediterranean-inspired Satis, gastro pub Marco & Pepe and Mexican standby Taqueria as other reasons to stay in town.

?By no means do we feel like we are the trailblazers. Other people have come here first. If Barcade wasn?t around the corner we wouldn?t even be thinking about this,? Massoni says. ?The fact that we are coming will bring other people to Jersey City, too, because it is a great market.?

Roasted pears with sea urchin mayo, pickled squash, maitake and shiso at Thirty Acres in Jersey City.
Norman Y. Lono/for New York Daily News

Roasted pears with sea urchin mayo, pickled squash, maitake and shiso at Thirty Acres in Jersey City.

Fred Shandler and Dan Richer chose Jersey City as the second outpost for their artisinal pizza empire after the success at Arturo?s in Maplewood, N.J. They opened Razza ? which means ?pure-bred? or ?original? in Italian ? in what they consider an emerging Jersey City neighborhood by the Grove St. PATH station last year.

And their Jersey City clientele eat up their pies, which use locally milled flour, wild yeast and veggies from New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. The Santo ($18), with sausage, shaved onion and chili oil atop a crust charred in a wood-burning oven, made Thrillist?s list of America?s top 33 pizzas.

?We feel that Jersey City is at a tipping point of receiving massive attention,? Shandler says. ?We?re thrilled about being here.?

So are spouses Kevin and Alex Pemoulie. Kevin gave up a job working in Manhattan for James Beard Award-winning chef David Chang to open Thirty Acres in Jersey City; Alex juggles a full time job running the financial operations for Chang?s Momofuku group with running the front of the house at Thirty Acres.

?We were looking for a community feel. In New York we had a lot of friends in the restaurant world, but there wasn?t a sense of a community around us,? said Kevin.

His sister lived in Jersey City, and when the couple visited they fell in love with the neighborhood near Van Vorst park.

?Everyone here is really into food. They are thankful and excited for new places ? but they will let you know if it sucks,? says Alex, laughing. ?Jersey City is ready for a wider variety of restaurants.?

Local real estate broker Eugene Cordano agrees ? and he says Jersey City?s culinary transformation is fueled by its residential explosion.

?Everything that is being built there is the demographic that restaurants like Thirty Acres would want to capitalize on,? Cordano says. ?You have thousands and thousands of apartments there and people coming in, and a real lifestyle has developed in Jersey City.?

Thirty Acres, named for a Prohibition-era boxing arena in town, serves a mix of small plates and heartier dishes from roasted pears with sea urchin mayo, pickled squash, maitake and shiso ($14) to Spaghetti Nero with bottarga, garlic and chili flakes ($18).

The couple behind the restaurant view their food as seasonal, creative and a mixture of refined and casual.

?We call ourselves New New Jersey cuisine,? Alex says. ?That?s not really a thing yet, but it?s starting with us.?

gpace@nydailynews.com

Posted on: 2013/11/6 11:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017