Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Left Bank Burger Bar
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
I ate here over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. My burger was nice and juicy. No odd smell. Decent service. I'll go again.

It is a million times better than It's Greek to Me!

Posted on: 2013/11/13 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
+1 most people on here suck.

Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I went, I ate, I enjoyed!

+1. It's not going to be the greatest burger you have in your life but I think some people here just look to complain for the sake of complaining. They also have a great selection of craft beers.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

+1. It's not going to be the greatest burger you have in your life but I think some people here just look to complain for the sake of complaining. They also have a great selection of craft beers.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Yea, not all that great. Looks nice, decent service, but the burgers were indeed bland and not up to par with White Star, Park & 6th or even Lamp Post. Don't even breathe the same air as Park Tavern. Damn shame.

There was no odor when I went there.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 6:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/13 1:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
I ordered my burger the same way I order them at New Park Tavern: (Medium, american cheese, sauteed onions, pickles, smear or mustard on the bun.

Not even close.

sorry Left Bank, you dropped the ball. The first off, the burger at Left Bank is much smaller than the New Park Tavern burger. Left Bank also charges two dollars for the smallest portion of fries possible. The Left Bank patty was cooked medium, as I had asked, but the meat was bland. They need to dry age their beef and add some salt and pepper.

Bad effort, overall. I give it a 5 out of 10, or a "Meh"

Posted on: 2013/11/12 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Leftbank is no Chick-fil-A.. ;) Chick fil a needs to come to jersey city.

Quote:

bill wrote:
Maybe they are closed on Sunday because they might observe the Sabbath?

Posted on: 2013/11/4 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Asked a friend if he tried it, he mentioned the place smelled awful. Has that been resolved?

Posted on: 2013/11/4 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I went there last might with my husband. It was really good. The burger was very juicy even for medium well. Their bank sauce was super yummy. The service was really really good! Itwas nice to see a new place doing so well! If you like burgers check it out. I would also suggest going to the cookie place across the street for desert. It is a good combination. :)

Posted on: 2013/11/2 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Good martini, Bartholdi burger arrived a bit less than medium rare but really delicious. Excellent slaw.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Wife and I went last night.
Both thought it was delicious.
our 2 cents.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Ok since everyone's doing it...

I'm a big burger guy so I was excited about this place opening. Went Monday and started with the Mac & cheese pops and the pale ale battered onion rings. Both were excellent and had me eagerly anticipating the main event.

I ordered the mac daddy burger (house blended burger topped with deep fried Mac and cheese and bacon) and my buddy did a build a burger with deep fried goat cheese, shaved pork belly, fried egg, and red onion. I first tasted just the burger and bread and like previously stated, completely under seasoned! For what it's worth though it was juicy and the meat was quality. Lucky for me, the salt from the toppings balanced things out and my burger was delicious. My buddy didn't fare as well though, his toppings weren't enough to save his burger from bland city.

I definitely plan on coming back, loved the decor of the place especially the Jersey City theme. I should also note we didn't detect any strange orders, so that was a plus.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 12:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/31 15:33
Group:
Registered Users
Hardly. I don't work in the industry. Just an experienced burger consumer adding my 2 cents. If you would have read my first review you would have known this. So "nice try boss"

Park Tavern is still the best in JC. White Star has a great burger since they changed distributors. (Pat Lafreida, same as Left Bank, yet White Star understands the concept of seasoning their meat.) Satis has a great burger. The Beast at the original park and sixth does nothing for me and is overhyped in my opinion but my first experience with the dry aged burger at the new gastropub was definitely most excellent. Not plugging anything. Just telling like it is. Not everyone has a hidden agenda dude.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I think I smell a vaguely disguised plug from an owner/employee of P&S...nice try boss!

Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Follow up:

I thought after seeing 3 reviews of the establishment on the very same night I went, that the burgers were under seasoned and bland that perhaps the cook may have missed that step on that evening. However, spoke to two very reputable restaurant owners of two very different establishments in the greater downtown area. Both had the same review. Meat was tender and cooked to perfection but with no seasoning or taste.

On the flip side. Give the dry aged wagyu burger a try at the new park and sixth gastro pub. Wow. Delicious. 16 dollars but well worth the extra coin in my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 11:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I think I smell a vaguely disguised plug from an owner/employee of P&S...nice try boss!

Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Follow up:

I thought after seeing 3 reviews of the establishment on the very same night I went, that the burgers were under seasoned and bland that perhaps the cook may have missed that step on that evening. However, spoke to two very reputable restaurant owners of two very different establishments in the greater downtown area. Both had the same review. Meat was tender and cooked to perfection but with no seasoning or taste.

On the flip side. Give the dry aged wagyu burger a try at the new park and sixth gastro pub. Wow. Delicious. 16 dollars but well worth the extra coin in my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 3:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Follow up:

Posted on: 2013/10/31 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Based on the reviews below, we know the following about Left Bank's burgers:

They?re great
They?re very good
They?re damn good
They?re bland
They?re bland and tasteless
They?re bland
They?re tasty
They?re fatty and juicy
They?re perfectly seasoned (?seasoned to perfection??)
They sound amazing

Based on my own experience and preference, most restaurants usually serve hamburgers that taste more of cheese, condiments, and toppings than quality beef with a proper dose of salt and fresh pepper, but I have my hopes for Left Bank. The only thing I know with any certainty is that I?ll have to find out for myself. Heck, if I took the word of casual diners, I might not even realize that Hollywood Fried Chicken makes a reasonably delicious product even though the joint apparently isn?t worthy of the holy f*cking anointed.

Anointed no...fearful of my safety, yes.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _sunday.html#incart_river

And I know it's not the same location but still...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_stabbed_in_groin_a.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/crime ... _two_police_officers.html

Posted on: 2013/10/31 17:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

midikris wrote:

The wife and I went there the other night, I had the Taylor Ham Egg and Cheeseburger and it was very good. Perfectly seasoned and cooked well

Perfectly seasoned? Did you also petition for Applebee's to receive a Michelin star?

Posted on: 2013/10/31 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Based on the reviews below, we know the following about Left Bank's burgers:

They?re great
They?re very good
They?re damn good
They?re bland
They?re bland and tasteless
They?re bland
They?re tasty
They?re fatty and juicy
They?re perfectly seasoned (?seasoned to perfection??)
They sound amazing

Based on my own experience and preference, most restaurants usually serve hamburgers that taste more of cheese, condiments, and toppings than quality beef with a proper dose of salt and fresh pepper, but I have my hopes for Left Bank. The only thing I know with any certainty is that I?ll have to find out for myself. Heck, if I took the word of casual diners, I might not even realize that Hollywood Fried Chicken makes a reasonably delicious product even though the joint apparently isn?t worthy of the holy f*cking anointed.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Great burgers. Only negative thing is that it is next to hollywood fried chicken. They should buy them out and expand.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 2:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 15:13
Group:
Registered Users
Your taste buds are wrong wrong wrong, sorry had to be negative, you can't start off a with a positive on this board....

The wife and I went there the other night, I had the Taylor Ham Egg and Cheeseburger and it was very good. Perfectly seasoned and cooked well, I specifically didn't ask for medium-rare(my liking) just to see what they did and it came out right temperature and was medium. We started with the fried pickles and to my surprise they were the best fried pickles I've had so far, with a nice dill dipping sauce and the breading seemed to be beer battered and nicely seasoned and almost buttery. We also had the The Wedgie, which was the blue cheese salad wedge and it was very good, the candied bacon was a nice touch.

Honestly I can't fault a business in their first week of business. The staff was a little frazzled by the size of the crowd(packed house), service was attentive and our waiter was very good but the time it took to get the food was a little slow, something the cooking staff will adapt to I'm sure.

I see a person complaining about the music, well there was a jukebox over near the front door, if you wanted to listen to something more to your liking, get off your butt and put some money in the jukebox. Just an observation. The jukebox could be a bad thing, especially if somebody decided to play death metal or Whats the Fox say? for the entire meal

Posted on: 2013/10/25 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pattyb wrote:
I have had the beast actually! we must have different taste buds ;)

this post is way too logical for this board. Negativity and complaining only, please.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 14:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/15 12:18
Group:
Registered Users
I had the mac daddy and the disco fries both were really good. the beef patty is kinda fatty and juicy. They do have veggie options as well as turkey/tuna/chicken.

my complaints are that they didn't have a wine list. it was only a house red or house white. i think they need a few by the bottle options. also we went early and the place smelled weird at first. maybe it was cabbage but it was not appealing.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 10:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/24 0:38
From Hamilton Park Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have had the beast actually! we must have different taste buds ;)

Posted on: 2013/10/25 2:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pattyb wrote:
We went last night and loved it. I can't believe people are saying Park and Sixth burgers are better, no way!

I'm inclined to believe you haven't had a Park and Sixth burger. Or maybe you haven't had 'The Beast' at P&6. It's simply a more flavorful, better prepared burger.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 1:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/24 0:38
From Hamilton Park Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We went last night and loved it. I can't believe people are saying Park and Sixth burgers are better, no way! Prices were great, make your own burger was perfect for our son. Shake was amazing. Disco fries, delicious! It was really crowded for their first week so maybe they were not ready to be so popular so fast.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
I was there last night and also have mixed reviews. They clearly have a number of kinks to work out but some of it is definitely forgivable considering it's their first week.

I'll spare the details but it took an hour for our food at around 7pm. For a burger place this is totally unacceptable. First week so I'm sure it'll be resolved.

Food:
Gotta say I'm a little disappointed here. I can't put my finger on it exactly but like a poster below I found everything just a bit bland. The patty was cooked well but it didn't seem lke they seasoned it at all. The fried mac and cheese on the Mac Daddy wasn't especially cheesy or flavorful but the bacon was excellent. The Tarheel was better but, again, a little seasoning on the patty or perhaps buttering and toasting the bun would have helped.

The batter on the onion rings and fired pickles tasted like it needed something. More beer in the beer batter? Onions soaked in buttermilk before frying? Less dill in the ranch? Not sure since I'm not a cook but a burger bar should be nailing these staples.

Atmosphere:
They did a nice job with the place. Good to see them using the bar area that was used as food storage and prep at Greek To Me. The place is nothing flashy but they did a nice job. Good, clean space with lots of wood and brick. One suggestion: LOCK THE SIDE DOOR!!! For some reason customers were using that door and letting a cold breeze in every time it was opened. We had to wear coats being seated right by the door.

Ultimately, I think this place has a ton of potential. If they can get the kitchen up to speed and correct a few minor things with the food it will be great. The menu is perfect, the burgers are creative, nice appetizers, nice beer selection, etc. Just need a little time to perfect things. I definitely will be back in a month or two to check it out again.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 15:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
I was also there last night and left with pretty mixed feelings.

Like the person above, my girlfriend and I noticed an odd smell by the bar during the entire meal. I would describe it as old garbage. Faint, but enough to remind us of its presence every few minutes.

The menu was impressive. They have creative burgers but also give you the option to create your own through different combinations of meats, cheeses, toppings, and sauces. We felt they were trying too hard to be cute with their menu to the point of confusion. They list ingredients like 'government cheese' and a selection of house sauces like bank sauce and Seoul sauce with no explanation of what they are. We didn't want to waste the busy bartender's time by having him describe five different menu items so we passed on them altogether.

We started with the mac and cheese pops with ranch that everyone was suggesting and thought they were satisfying and tasty. We each had a cheeseburger with an egg and they delivered it medium rare as I asked. The meat was bland but overall its thickness, the soft bread, and amount of gruyere made it satisfying. We found our spicy mayo wasn't spicy and the herb mayo was merely Italian seasoning sprinkled into a jar of Miracle Whip.

As I write this out I realize that no, I didn't like the place, even though I really wanted to given its proximity to my apartment. However it tries too hard on its gimmicky image and attitude while failing to deliver on the food. This is not a burger that will be brought up in conversation when people talk about the best burgers in Jersey City. For my money, I'll walk the extra few blocks and go to Park and Sixth or Skinner's.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 12:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night and have to say I was a little disappointed. Before explaining my experience I want to add that I am aware it's their first week in business and it takes a while to get all cylinders running smoothly. I also want this place to succeed as it has so much potential to be a really great addition to the neighborhood. I'm hoping that this post/review of my experience might be read as constructive criticism and not bitching and moaning.

First-the place had an odd odor when we walked in. Like car litter or an old dirty dish cloth. Cant explain it but it was overpowering and not very appetizing. We smelled it throughout the meal and the couple next to us also commented on it.

Next- two nice big screen TVs hang above the bar yet both are tuned to the music choice channel? Meanwhile the music listed on the music choice channel isn't what's playing overhead. Aside from maybe cleaning my house I've never seen a tv anywhere tuned to the music choice channel, let alone two TVs at a bar.

Ordered beer and food. I ordered a burger and had to stop the server before he left to ask if there is a temperature I could request for my burger to be cooked. Completely forgot to ask me. If you run a "burger bar" this should be one of the first tasks you hammer into the servers head. It is crucial. I was told they have 3 temperatures. "Bloody. Pink and well". 3 temperatures. No medium rare. Medium well. Ordering a burger "bloody" might have been cute and funny 19 years ago when Tarentino wrote it into Pulp Fiction but stick to the basics when running a restaurant in real life and sticking to the standard 5 temperature settings for meat would be nice.

The burger arrived and it was cooked "bloody" as requested which was a relief, it's hard to get a rare burger these days so kudos to the kitchen for that, however I found the burger to be bland and tasteless. Unseasoned. The meat was tender but some seasoning would have made a world of an improvement.

Disco fries were okay but the gravy was cold and not thick enough for this central jersey boys liking.

I will definitely give this place another shot in a few months after they've had some time to adjust and call some audibles. I really think this place could be awesome. I hope the owners take the time to ask customers their thoughts and opinions of the place. It seems that the restaurants that thrive in the downtown area are the ones where the owners have a hands on approach at building relationships with their regulars and value their opinions.

I wish this place the best of luck as a burger lover. A few kinks to work out but that is to be expected with a new restaurant. Everyone should give this place a try and see for themselves though!

Posted on: 2013/10/24 11:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Oh no, re: techno music at a restaurant!! Why, oh why! Amelia's Bistro did this the last time I ate there. Are restaurants TRYING to be cheesy? Or trying to be clubs? I just don't understand.

We went tonight, no techno. And the burgers were tasty!

Posted on: 2013/10/24 1:34

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017