Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Comparisons of Mcnair vs St Peter's Prep?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/15 13:31
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What? More than one Prep? Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/14 16:09
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
No Offense Sutherland,
I am from Harrison and The Prep is St Peters. The Seton Hall prep never came into my mind. Also, the Prep of Hudson County is real good in sports, and so their
reputation follows them thru out the State as being staunch competitors . You may not think sports has anything to do with it, But, you have heard of St. Anthony's thru out the State and for what reason ?

Posted on: 2013/10/14 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
It's less arguing and more ribbing each other. Sometimes posts on here are light hearted fun.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Let's just agree that "The Prep" meaning, depends on location and context. There are prep schools all over the world...

Posted on: 2013/10/13 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users

Are we really arguing about local vs. regional nicknames for high schools? Clearly the OP is going to send their kid to the school with a better nick name because that's really high on the priority list.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, that may be true in Jersey City, but ONLY Jersey City. Which was my point. Even in Harrison, which resides in Hudson County, the constituents there understand the phrase The Prep to mean SHP. In fact, a friend of mine who attended St. Peter's Prep once told me that one of his teacher's, a Jesuit and a graduate of Seton Hall Prep once articulated that in class.

Once you step outside of Jersey City and you say, The Prep, people will understand that to mean Seton Hall Prep, even Monmouth and Ocean County.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Sutherland, you may not like it, but Yvonne is correct that in JC "PREP" means St Peters Prep. I'm certain that if Christian charity didn't prevent them from doing so, the SPP crowd would tell the rest of Jersey to go F**k themselves if it bothers them. Even the non JC natives, who are majority of Prep families and still refer to it as Prep.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 5:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,

What you "believe" or wish and what actually IS are entirely two different things.

Through out the state of New Jersey, SHP is more widely recognized and the accomplishments of SHP graduates are much more far reaching.

I'm not saying that St. Peter's isn't a fine school, but in the state of New Jersey, Seton Hall Prep is more widely regarded and more commonly referred to as The Prep.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
First there was St. Peter's Church which was founded in 1829 or 1830, then came the grammar school, college, and high school. The college moved to McGinley Square. Now the church and grammar school is part of the Prep complex. According to information I read from the Archdiocese of Newark, St. Peter's Church was the first church in their diocese which means they came before Seton Hall. St. Peter's Church was named after St. Peter's Church in lower Manhattan. The first Irish immigrants built that church. So, I believe first is first. There was a statue of Mother Seton, now the first American born saint in the US, which stood in St. Peter's Grammar School. Her nuns taught the children at St. Peter's Grammar School. It is too bad JC, does not acknowledge its history. Likewise, Holy Rosary is the oldest Italian Catholic Church in NJ and St. Anthony's the oldest Polish Catholic Church in NJ. Therefore, I believe St. Peter's Prep deserves the name "Prep."

Posted on: 2013/10/12 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,

That's a Jersey City limitation. Seton Hall Prep grads tend to have a deeper impact in the state and probably nationally. It's probably because SHP has always drawn in a more diverse student body, with inherent talent, instead of the more tutored. Also, The Prep students tend to more readily embrace the Christian and Social tradition in acts and lifestyle including community service. Finally, the Prep of course has and always will have a much better athletic program, because of the diversity of it's student body.

In the 70s and 80s the vast majority of the Prep student body came from Newark and other inner cities, from immigrant families of modest means who aspired greater opportunities for their sons. But there were also many students from wealthier communities who understood the richness the Prep offered.

Today, the Prep alumni support several foundations that funds the tuition for students of meager means.

Recently, while at a NJ State Bar Association Dinner, a young female attorney sitting next time, who went to Union High school confided in me that she believed most high school girls hope to marry a SHP grad. Of course, that's never been a secret.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not if you live in JC. My sons went to Prep. Everyone called it Prep.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,

When people in New Jersey use the word Prep, they typically think of Seton Hall Prep. When referring to St. Peter's Prep. it's referred to as St. Peter's Prep. Everyone in New Jersey knows that Seton Hall Prep. is "The Prep." Please be mindful of that going forward.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is a lot of social activities for parents at SPP, and the graduating students are connected to the high school for life. All kinds of social activities. When you join Prep, you join a family.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/12 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
About 10 years ago, some parents complained, that white students had an easier time receiving admission. Less than 10% of the school body in JC is white. Perhaps that is why it was changed or the fact there are more Asians.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Actually, Academic has been around for a long time. It was the result of Jersey City attempt to do integration in the public schools when that was a hot subject. The breakdown was according to race: one third white, one third black and one third Hispanic. The remaining ten percent was a combination. Now that we have more Asian students, I do not know the racial break down.

Word is it's 1/4 each black, white, latin and asian. But my son says it's 1/2 asian. I say whatever, my narrow libertarian stripe says the government has no business in the race game. I can't believe there's been no big court case where a school challenges someone's minority claim. I guess the schools know better than to blow it all out in the open.

I contemplated my son applying as a latino to improve his odds, I possess a 90 year old Brazilian passport and visa documenting my grandfather's immigration from Brazil. What difference should it make he started from Ukraine?

Posted on: 2013/10/11 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, Academic has been around for a long time. It was the result of Jersey City attempt to do integration in the public schools when that was a hot subject. The breakdown was according to race: one third white, one third black and one third Hispanic. The remaining ten percent was a combination. Now that we have more Asian students, I do not know the racial break down.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
it is foolish for people who did not attend Prep or McNair to make comparison.

Really? So just who is qualified to compare them, since very, very few attend both and can have an insider view to compare? Surely by your rules attending one can't qualify you to judge the other fairly. Truly, this is one of the silliest things you've ever said, and that's saying something.

Not to mention a grad from 10 or 20 years ago might not even have an up to date perspective on the school. Since I graduated from my school 10+ years ago they have introduced an entirely new advanced curriculum that they didn't offer when I attended, and I only found that out when I went back as a guest lecturer.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
it is foolish for people who did not attend Prep or McNair to make comparison.

Really? So just who is qualified to compare them, since very, very few attend both and can have an insider view to compare? Surely by your rules attending one can't qualify you to judge the other fairly. Truly, this is one of the silliest things you've ever said, and that's saying something.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I said originally, I wish success for students in McNair as well as St. Peter's Prep. But it is foolish for people who did not attend Prep or McNair to make comparison. Actually, I taught in a NYC Catholic grammar school. Later my former student along with his family moved to JC. The mother asked me about "Academic," I gave it good marks. This was a difficult decision for the family because they are very Catholic. The family place their son in Academic because the family was paying tuition at two different Catholic colleges for their older daughters. But I still maintain, the only way you can measure the success rate is how the graduating students perform in their profession. Prep has an outstanding legacy of producing corporate leaders, doctors, lawyers, engineers and artists. Nathan Lane went to Prep.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 21:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/12 4:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Where are your facts Brewster? When Prep mails out their magazine on former graduates based on years, they list their professions. I see heads of corporations, lawyers, doctors, engineers. That doesn't mean is disapprove of McNair, but to say "McNair is superior," is just hot air.

Yvonne, you keep bringing up all of the doctors, lawyers, etc. that you know that are graduates of SPP. I graduated from McNair 13 years ago and attended one of the top architecture schools in the country (Pratt Institute, on scholarship, might I add) and got my bachelors in architecture.

K-Lo is correct that in phys. ed., students learn about the rules and regulations of every sport before they play them in order to understand the sport.

It is nice having all of your classmates living in the same city as you. It is also nice to have common grounds with your classmates (makes bullying less likely to happen). Also, the diversity of the school does help students learn about other each other's cultures/backgrounds.

As for sports, I didn't really participate in sports in HS because I invested most of my extracurricular time to art, but McNair does have many opportunities to take part in various sports and other extracurricular activities.

The AP classes were awesome too and saved me some time and money when I got to college and was able to transfer my AP credits over.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Free is not the point, public schools are not free even though there is no tuition. I hope my doctor and lawyer had a thorough and efficient education. Yes, they did, they both attended Prep.

Umm, mcnair is indeed free for...yes you pay taxes for mcnair but you also pay taxes if your children attend prep. So....mcnair = free.

If I get an extremely good product for free versus one that is comparable but costs thousands of dollars more...I would go with the free option.

If you're paying taxes for it.. then by definition, it can't be free.

What you mean is, you're not paying for school on top of what you're already paying in taxes.

Perhaps a more judicious term would be "publicly funded". On the right wing boards there's a LOT of hate for the "guv'mint schools".

Posted on: 2013/10/11 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Free is not the point, public schools are not free even though there is no tuition. I hope my doctor and lawyer had a thorough and efficient education. Yes, they did, they both attended Prep.

Umm, mcnair is indeed free for...yes you pay taxes for mcnair but you also pay taxes if your children attend prep. So....mcnair = free.

If I get an extremely good product for free versus one that is comparable but costs thousands of dollars more...I would go with the free option.

If you're paying taxes for it.. then by definition, it can't be free.

What you mean is, you're not paying for school on top of what you're already paying in taxes.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/11 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster:
Quote:
It's hardly a fair comparison to other schools when they get to cherry pick.

That's the same unfairness I am calling McNair out for, and your response as I understood it was "who cares about the means, it's just the end result that counts".

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, I wasn't making a comparison.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
The largest feeder school into McNair now is Academy 1, followed by MS 4, I think.

It's hardly a fair comparison to other schools when they get to cherry pick. The wonder is that only about half their graduates get in. Isn't LCCS the biggest source of McNair students from a non-selective middle school? My son loved it there, but is feeling a little regretful at being a full year behind those kids in math. But I hear there are some changes in the works on that front at LCCS.

Yvonne, there's quite range of catholic schools, aren't some of them selective of their students? A friend of my son's was at now closed Resurrection on 7th, and they were lucky if they got one kid into a selective public high school.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/11 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City and good high schools are not synonymous.

Snyder, Ferris, Dickson, and Lincoln more than cancel out the goodness of McNair.

BTW, how can you compare a school where you have to pay tuition to a public school? Yes, McNair is magnet but at the end of the day, still free for families.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The largest feeder school into McNair now is Academy 1, followed by MS 4, I think. I think we're fortunate to have more than one excellent high school in town, and now that St. Dom's has the IB program, the more the merrier.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 23:23

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017