Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City tax abatements audit yields millions in uncollected taxes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Nearly a month ago, I asked the city council for the criteria on granting an abatement. I also wanted to know how much it cost taxpayers, especially affordable housing in terms of school, libraries, sports, when we add new housing. I know other municipalities calculate these cost of affordable and ratable housing. JC has never done this. I was promised that I would receive this, and asked again last week. Now I was told it is on the city's web site. But that is the mayor's abatement policy not the breakdown I requested. The reason I asked this, the last affordable housing that was granted has 54 units, that would easily bring an additional 100 children into our public schools and the schools are already crowded plus Trenton was to pull back on funding.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 23:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned

Amen!

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
regardless of who initiated what and when, JC needs its tax dollars...

Posted on: 2013/10/14 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

It boggles my mind how poorly abatement programs are run.

If a city provides incentives to a developer then it should demand tangible returns.

examples:

Certain amount of jobs for actual residents of said city.

Require a certain percentage of monies saved from the abatements can only be used by the developer for investment in the city.

There shouldn't be a need for expensive audits.....everything should be out in the open. Everything related to the project should be online.....so we the people have an idea of what's really going.

If, the developer reneges on these and other promises then the city should take over. Streamlining this process to avoid costly legal fees.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
regardless of who initiated what and when, JC needs its tax dollars...

Posted on: 2013/10/14 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Former Jersey City mayor says he did indeed go after Newport's uncollected taxes

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
October 12, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Twice this month, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop has touted his efforts to recover overdue tax dollars, saying his predecessor had dropped the ball on the issue, but statements from developers and documents from the city indicate the former mayor?s administration had indeed initiated attempts to obtain the disputed payments.

First, some history: Fulop this month said the city had recovered $2.6 million in overdue taxes for two Newport buildings and $2.3 million for Hudson Point, on Warren Street. The city discovered it was owed the cash because of ?an aggressive audit of tax abatements by Mayor Steven M. Fulop,? reads a press release issued from Fulop?s office last week.

Read more by the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2013/10/14 4:51

Jersey City says Newport owes $2.6M in back taxes; not so, says Newport
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City says Newport owes $2.6M in back taxes; not so, says Newport

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop bragged last week that his office had ?recovered? tax dollars he claims were overdue from the developers of Newport, but his statement has resulted in the threat of a lawsuit by Newport, which says they don?t owe the city any cash.

Newport didn't pay the city a total of $2.6 million it owed in overdue tax payments for the Marriott and Tower America, according to Fulop. Both properties received long-term tax breaks from the city.

The payments had been due as far back as 2005, according to the mayor, who said his administration is cracking down on developers who owe the city cash.

READ MORE

RELATED: Fulop aggressively recovering overdue taxes? Or taking credit from Healy?

Posted on: 2013/10/11 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
John1952 is correct, this audit did start under Healy, Brian O'Reilly, the former BA started the audits, he told me. Brian O'Reilly also did the audits on the Parking Lots, which is a cash business.

Shouldn?t it be the fu** up started under incompetent Healy administration? Didn?t O?Reilly(ex BA and tax assessor) leave in 2010 and go to the firm that happened to get the multi-million dollar tax reval contract?

This was uncovered in Jan 2013....

Jersey City tax officials to meet with Port Liberte residents unhappy with pending tax hikes

on January 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM, updated January 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_tax_officials_to_m.html

Posted on: 2013/9/17 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
John1952 is correct, this audit did start under Healy, Brian O'Reilly, the former BA started the audits, he told me. Brian O'Reilly also did the audits on the Parking Lots, which is a cash business.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
probably spent!

Posted on: 2013/9/17 13:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned

This actually started under Healy when some of the crazy community members started to take a close look. Now lets hope Fulop can face off with the developer and collect.

Will this come off my next tax bill or be spent?

Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Jersey City?s new mayor says the city recovered millions of dollars in years of uncollected taxes from a Jersey City developer.

Mayor Steve Fulop announced Monday recovering $2.3 million from a developer who failed to make payments to the city as part of a tax abatement agreement. According to Fulop, EQR Lincoln Urban Renewal Entity did not voluntarily turn over excess profits to the city that it agreed to in a July 2000 contract.

The mayor campaigned on a promise to audit all of the city?s tax abatement contracts to ensure the agreements were being enforced.

?What we are finding as we conduct these abatement audits is that the prior administration literally left millions of dollars on the table,? Fulop said in statement. ?These are tax dollars that could be used to put cops on the street, fund recreation programs, pave roads, or simply lower the amount of taxes paid by our residents. Failure to collect this money is unacceptable and we are going to hold these developers accountable.?....

Read more at http://www.politickernj.com/68276/jer ... ected-taxes#ixzz2f6odP5Fd

Posted on: 2013/9/17 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if Healy could be arrested for negligence or corruption - amazing that previous mayors would not collect all taxes due.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Every since Bret Schundler was mayor, I have asked the city council to do an audit on the tax abatements. I have even written "letters to the editor" on this topic. It is nice to know someone is listening. Some abatements have steps, if the city is not monitoring the steps, then the development is paying a lower tax bill, other abatements only assessed the shell of the building, meaning the city is collecting 2% on a partial building. I have been saying this every year for the last 20 plus years.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:58

Jersey City tax abatements audit yields millions in uncollected taxes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City?s new mayor says the city recovered millions of dollars in years of uncollected taxes from a Jersey City developer.

Mayor Steve Fulop announced Monday recovering $2.3 million from a developer who failed to make payments to the city as part of a tax abatement agreement. According to Fulop, EQR Lincoln Urban Renewal Entity did not voluntarily turn over excess profits to the city that it agreed to in a July 2000 contract.

The mayor campaigned on a promise to audit all of the city?s tax abatement contracts to ensure the agreements were being enforced.

?What we are finding as we conduct these abatement audits is that the prior administration literally left millions of dollars on the table,? Fulop said in statement. ?These are tax dollars that could be used to put cops on the street, fund recreation programs, pave roads, or simply lower the amount of taxes paid by our residents. Failure to collect this money is unacceptable and we are going to hold these developers accountable.?....

Read more at http://www.politickernj.com/68276/jer ... ected-taxes#ixzz2f6odP5Fd

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:24

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017