Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Political Insider: Skeptic on the Jersey City council makes it interesting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I truly like Lopez, but I voted for Boggiano because he attended the debates. I have no buyer's remorse.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 0:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
buyers remorse with Lopez or Fulop? Quote:
JPhurst wrote: A lot of people split their ticket and voted for Boggiano and Fulop. Largely because Lopez was such an uninspiring candidate. But I suspect that many people are feeling buyer's remorse. "Why didn't you get someone from Jersey City to do <>" is the last refrain of those with nothing to do but obstruct.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of people split their ticket and voted for Boggiano and Fulop. Largely because Lopez was such an uninspiring candidate. But I suspect that many people are feeling buyer's remorse. "Why didn't you get someone from Jersey City to do <>" is the last refrain of those with nothing to do but obstruct.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 23:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
You're just smearing Richie. The rest of the council has nothing to offer. Bunch of empty heads. Fulop tried to stick us with the crook Lopez.

Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Boggiano is relishing being the obstructionist on "hot" issues. The easy ones he has no problem voting yes without much care or study, but if it's going to draw a crowd or make the paper you can bet old Richie boy will make sure to go against the administration.

Has he offered alternatives to resolutions he didn't like? No. Has he made his own counterproposals? No. He is, however, forming a nice coalition for those who just hate everything the Mayor does, which is why the lingering Healy goons, Yvonne, Fletcher, etc. will surely rush to Boggiano's side.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Boggiano is relishing being the obstructionist on "hot" issues. The easy ones he has no problem voting yes without much care or study, but if it's going to draw a crowd or make the paper you can bet old Richie boy will make sure to go against the administration.

Has he offered alternatives to resolutions he didn't like? No. Has he made his own counterproposals? No. He is, however, forming a nice coalition for those who just hate everything the Mayor does, which is why the lingering Healy goons, Yvonne, Fletcher, etc. will surely rush to Boggiano's side.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Joshua, that is not true, Boggiano voted for 99% of what was on the agenda from 10/9/13, however, he does speaks his mind.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Seems reasonable enough. I agree with his views on development and forcing some real responsibilities on developers as far as infrastructure etc.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
The fact that comments on Fulop's Facebook page are aggressively censored/deleted, it's clear that is just his praise page rather than an open forum.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
That said, no politician should have an "open checkbook" for anything. Checks and balances are important, regardless of the method.

Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
He is routinely voting "no" or abstaining on issues because he claims he wasn't consulted, or that he doesn't have enough information, or that it was done too quickly "without study."

I think that getting input from everyone is good, but too often it looks like Boggiano expects other people to do his homework for him.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
He is routinely voting "no" or abstaining on issues because he claims he wasn't consulted, or that he doesn't have enough information, or that it was done too quickly "without study."

I think that getting input from everyone is good, but too often it looks like Boggiano expects other people to do his homework for him.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Richie is a good guy who actual about cares others. He is the kind of candidate you actually vote for.

Councilman Boggiano actually treats people respectfully. An honorable man.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
This is highly annoying and screams of an entitlement mentality to me. Ridiculous, Rich. Really? Why do you think the taxpayers should fund a car for you?

"I had no intention of driving a municipal car, but when they said we were not entitled, then I want one," said the councilman. Now he needs to go to the city lot to drive a car and return it at the end of the day.

I like having someone to act as a watchdog, but when these are your public statements I'm less likely to listen to you on other things because I don't know if you actually disagree with the Mayor or you're just being a contentious prick.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop, thorn in side of previous mayor, now faces his own antagonistic councilman

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
October 09, 2013 at 3:19 PM

For most of the eight years Steve Fulop sat on the Jersey City City Council, he was a thorn in the side of then-Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

Now that Fulop sits in the Mayor?s Office, he has his own thorn: Ward C Councilman Rich Boggiano.

Boggiano, a retired police detective who won a seat on the council over Fulop?s preferred candidate, can be ornery. During council meetings, he rolls his eyes when administration officials present plans he opposes, and he doesn?t mind throwing salty language their way.

Read More at the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2013/10/10 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I supported Fulop when he was councilman and I also supported Boggiano for Ward C. As an elected official, he can use a vehicle as long it is not for personal use. If he cannot use a vehicle then no one should be able to use a vehicle. I strongly believe vehicles should only be used in the course of business. I believe Boggiano is being picked on because he stood up to Fulop and voted no on the budget and he voted down the recent ordinance to combine departments. Boggiano was probably taken aback by the administration when told he had no business telling a department what to do in solving problems in his ward.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Didn't hear much from Rich when Healy was in office and the JCPD was run by inept senior police brass.

Rich would be better suited to being a President for a retirement village or home in Florida!

Rich wasn't on the council during the Healy years.

Again his point was a fair one - where do you draw the line on the office of the Mayor or his admin determining the rights, privileges and benefits of publicly elected council officials? That's possibly an erosion of democracy, and Rich is right to challenge it.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't hear much from Rich when Healy was in office and the JCPD was run by inept senior police brass.

Rich would be better suited to being a President for a retirement village or home in Florida!

Posted on: 2013/9/8 5:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
"The councilman believes the legislative body of the city should have more say about the process."

Rich has a good point. I'm a Fulop supporter, but having Rich on the council is a good thing - he challenges the established admin. Democracy isn't about living in a one-party state, or city.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
This is highly annoying and screams of an entitlement mentality to me. Ridiculous, Rich. Really? Why do you think the taxpayers should fund a car for you?

"I had no intention of driving a municipal car, but when they said we were not entitled, then I want one," said the councilman. Now he needs to go to the city lot to drive a car and return it at the end of the day.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like an interesting man.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Richard Boggiano is well passed his

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/8 1:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Political Insider: Skeptic on the Jersey City council makes it interesting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Political Insider: Skeptic on the Jersey City council makes it interesting

By Agustin C. Torres/The Jersey Journal
September 07, 2013 at 8:45 AM

For some supporters of Jersey City Mayor Fulop's administration, this official is everything considered intractable, someone who would give the fictional Inspector Javert a run for his obsessive convictions.Others see him as less well-intentioned and more of a recalcitrant obstacle to reform. He's been called "negative," a real-life Dr. No.

If you haven't already guessed, we are talking about Marine vet, retired cop and now Ward C Councilman Richard Boggiano, who along with Heights Councilman Michael Yun ran independent of any organized ticket and won in May's municipal election and the June runoff race. Since their victories, they have been the self-appointed watchdogs of the administration. At council sessions they ask questions, their skepticism showing.

What bothers Boggiano about the administration is what he perceives as attempts by the mayor to bypass the City Council to make decisions on reform. An effort to control the use of city-owned vehicles -- and who gets one -- is an example. The councilman believes the legislative body of the city should have more say about the process. So when he says he was told the council members would not have vehicles, he demanded one.

It was the same reason he opened a constituent office in Journal Square, where the police headquarters is located at 1 Journal Square Plaza. "It belonged to (the previous Ward C representative) Nidia Lopez and there was a reluctance to let me have it," said Boggiano.

When Jeremy Farrell was announced as the administration's corporation counsel, Boggiano questioned his experience in dealing with operations with multimillion-dollar budgets. Farrell is black, and there have been a few -- very few -- in the City Council audiences who considered Boggiano racist or at least a living example of Archie Bunker.

Yet, this is someone who has created strong ties and trust with the Arab and Indian communities, from which he received large blocs of votes.

Then there are initiatives he proposes that seem to define a tree-hugger.

The man worries about the need for more trees, a call for more arbors along city streets to prevent an urban island heat effect and enhance the presence of birds and wildlife, even proposing rebates to residents who purchase street trees, native plants, compost bins and rain barrels as part of a citywide greening effort. The councilman wants green and cool roofs on municipal buildings.

This guy and Pooh Bear have one thing in common. Boggiano would welcome raising honey bees in certain areas of the city to encourage pollination and the flowering of the city while helping the necessary insect thrive.

Getting away from the Father Nature image, Boggiano says he has a great deal of respect for teachers but considers the system as failing children. He has no use for charter schools. Although he says teachers should "have the best tools," he also proposes making use of a free online service, Khan Academy www.khanacademy.com.

The interaction between Boggiano and Fulop should be an intriguing dance to watch, depending on who leads.

So, you can see the Journal Square councilman is a complicated individual. It should be an interesting four years on the council for the old Marine, and he may survive, as long as he doesn't attend any Grateful Dead cover band concerts in D.C.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... ity_cou.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/9/8 1:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017