Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
44 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 44

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Micro Apartment Living
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, if parking if the number one concern, then their argument isn't going to hold that much water. That neighborhood has had free and easy parking for a long time; in a changing city, you can't have that forever. Time to pay for parking if you need to own a car.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Yaaaawn. Get over it with this parking BS.

Yeah, not gonna happen. It's funny, you can probably do a dissertation on when and how the migrants to an area change from "hoping it'll get better" to "slam the door behind them and fix it in amber".

Posted on: 2013/10/9 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yup, the photo of the sign in that article pretty much sums up the NIMBY grievances here. "City Hall stands by and lets developers build an 87 unit building with NO parking".

Yaaaawn. Get over it with this parking BS.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/9 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting...

The number of apartment units in northern New Jersey built through the 3d quarter of this year rose by 70 percent over the same period last year, posing a challenge for landlords and owners as supply is outpacing demand.

According to a quarterly report from Marcus & Millichap, a real estate investment services firm, developers completed 1,700 rentals over the past 12 months, up from 1,000 over the previous period. About 1,840 are expected to be completed before the year?s end, compared to 1,240 in 2012.

About 4,600 additional units are underway for 2014, and 6,600 more are in the planning stages.

Although jobs are up, the report found vacancy rates increased slightly from last year to 3.5 percent, below the national average of 4.3 percent, according to rent.com. The largest increase occurred in Bergen County, where the number of empty apartments rose by 1.2 percent to 5.6 percent.

In Hudson County, with easy access to Manhattan, about 2.4 percent of apartments are vacant.

More

Posted on: 2013/10/9 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I lived in NYC in a 475 sq ft apt in Chelsea for 10 years. It was a great space with high ceilings and big windows with unobstructed southern exposure and a working fireplace. I thought it was tight and I always felt a bit claustrophobic in the br. the big windows and high ceilings only helped a little. I don't think I would want to live in a 300 sq ft space.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I don't necessary think living in just 200 or 300 square foot apartment is bad or a step backward, especially given rising real estate costs. Less space, less junk to clean up. Visit Japan and you'll see people making do on much less space and quite content.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:
So they want to charge what was charged at Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus when they opened in 2007 for a unit HALF the size in 2014 while incomes have remained virtually flat? The quality of life of our middle class is diverging so quickly from that of our upper class that I could definitely see life in the future looking something like a scene from the Matrix, where the upper class has the middle and lower classes stockpiled in some datacenter somewhere with a bunch of wires connected to them to harness their energy.

I agree that this is a sad commentary on where our standard of living is going in this country. What is different about these units is that it probably won't be just young 20 somethings living here - it will be older folks as well. People that can't afford a decent standard of living, despite the fact that they are working their butts off and paying a huge amount of rent.

The older generations ran up the bills in the USA and now the credit has run out. It is now the younger generations that are left with the bills. 30 years ago, a "blue collar" family could buy a little house for themselves and, most often than not, on one salary with the mother staying home. Now those same little houses can barely be afforded by two working parents with advanced college degrees. Those blue collar workers now are retired, with a pension, social security and medicare. The younger generation doesn't know what a pension is, and social security and medicare will be drastically cut by the time they are eligible. And yet, those older generations are now fiscal conservatives who complain about paying taxes and want pension reform for public employees. And who is the true "entitled" generation?

It's a tough world out there for young people. And getting tougher by the year.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Although I don't like the concept of the developer getting a free pass as some have suggested (because that is a slippery slope), conceptually I see no problem at all with this project and in fact I condone such a project. While I respect that everybody has their own opinion, I really feel that anybody who thinks that increasing density with this segment of the population (young, car-less, professional people) is problematic is really thinking backwards. That kind of thinking will hold JC back from what it can become. It's great now, but it can be so much better. As MaybeMoving suggested, cities all across the US are doing back flips to attract that exact segment of the population to their city.

I think Jersey City could use a lot more "vibrancy", and a project like this would be a good start, in my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 16:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/22 15:52
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I hear you about small space living....I currently have plenty of space and feel like 75% of it is wasted. I could do just fine on 300 square feet, even 200 and i wouldn't even mind sharing a toilet/s with the neighbors.

I would totally mind sharing a toilet with my neighbors, lol.

I have seen floor plans for similar spaces and they have nice little kitchens and a full bathroom.

When I was in my 20's, I left very early in the morning for work and worked a lot of hours - usually until somewhere between 7 and 9 pm, went out after work with co-workers for a late dinner or drinks a few nights a week and out with friends once or twice a week; slept until 1:00 pm on Saturday, went out for brunch, did my shopping and ran errands, spent time with my boyfriend, was out all day Sunday, crashed early on Sunday night and rinse and repeat. I was home mostly for sleep, showering and changing clothes.

I really don't see people paying those rent ranges as ruining the neighborhood and being a danger. I see young professionals starting out and middle age professionals starting over, new to the area or not wanting to be encumbered with debt or insane rents along with people who are just plain ok with not having 2,500 sq ft for a single person.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hear you about small space living....I currently have plenty of space and feel like 75% of it is wasted. I could do just fine on 300 square feet, even 200 and i wouldn't even mind sharing a toilet/s with the neighbors.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
heh

My view is that these 'micro apartments' can work very well as temporary, short-term emergency accommodation.

Otherwise it becomes a rooming or boarding house whereby ever social or quality of life behavior will need to be controlled / regulated by bylaws. I would even surmise that none would be owner occupiers and expect a high return on these micro apartments.

How do you figure that small apartments are suitable only for "emergency accomodation" or that, just due to it's size, it will become a boarding house where everyone needs to be under lock and key? Have you ever lived in NYC where millions live in small apartments?

I lived in a 300sf apartment in Manhattan and another in Brooklyn for 6 years and somehow managed to save for a downpayment on a condo (in JC), get married, travel, further my career, and lived life just fine. A friend has lived in a sub-300sf studio for years and the savings from living in a tiny place allows him to pay for his law degree without crippling himself with student loan debt for life.

You've got blinders on if you think space is of the utmost importance to young people. As others have pointed out there is, and has been for years now, a move back into the cities by young creatives, professionals, etc. This sort of density makes neighborhoods more vibrant and gives an opportunity for young and single people to live relatively inexpensively and have some privacy. These places might be a little overpriced but the market will sort that out. I certainly don't think you have to worry about junkies and ex-cons turning a brand new, $1600 per unit building into the Kowloon Walled City.

Every other city in the country is doing everything they can to lure this demographic and people here are whining about a blighted lot on a shabby corner getting a new development. What the hell?

Posted on: 2013/10/9 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Of course these aren't supposed to owner occupied housing. They will be rentals. Most of the people will probably stay only a few years (as do most of the people in Grove Point and other buildings).

300 sq feet a gym and nice amenities would have been perfect for me when I was single. Lots of people in the area are living in less, or have multiple roommates and less privacy.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
as long as the ex-cons behave themselves who cares, but i think that is unlikely but i think the prices might be cost prohibitive for many ex-cons.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 11:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
and what is wrong with rooming or boarding houses as long as the residents are not robbing people, doing drugs or turning tricks., etc.

According to a friend who is a lieutenant with the nypd, police are always called to attend rooming and boarding houses, as its also one of the first places ex-cons seek accommodation when leaving prison.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 4:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/22 15:52
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
325 to 350 sq ft is perfect for many single people, especially with what looks to be a full wall window. They aren't going to be raising a family in those apartments, but for one, it's a great idea. Most people think they need a lot more space than they really do.

I do think they are a bit pricey though.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
and what is wrong with rooming or boarding houses as long as the residents are not robbing people, doing drugs or turning tricks., etc.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
heh

My view is that these 'micro apartments' can work very well as temporary, short-term emergency accommodation.

Otherwise it becomes a rooming or boarding house whereby ever social or quality of life behavior will need to be controlled / regulated by bylaws. I would even surmise that none would be owner occupiers and expect a high return on these micro apartments.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 3:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I still don't understand why you are discussing units of this size like they're science fiction, as I said I lived in one on 23rd st for 3 years, it wasn't a prison cell. There was a crabby old coot upstairs who complained when I played loud music who had probably been there for 30.

You can argue about community density or other common resources, but the market will decide whether these places are worth it. Did you read the comments on the Zell article? It was all suburbanites who think anyone living in the city at all is crazy.

These are the people who have kept their bedroom communities sterile for half a century with zoning restrictive of density, and now find the houses are far beyond the reach of any young person and there's no affordable rentals for their children to live in except their old rooms. Had they allowed dense housing to develop around the rail stops they could have vibrant, affordable, walkable downtowns instead of sterile malls. So be careful what you wish for.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This 'micro apartment living' would be a great solution to provide temporary housing for our homeless and emergency housing / refuge for those that are victims of domestic abuse. The could be managed by a government department with a close association with Police and the Courts.
We could build 2 or 3 of these around the perimeter of JC ... We could even have a competition for architects on their design!

Resized Image

fat-ass-bike: "just another social experiment to go wrong - People living in confined space and next to each other never works"

Resized Image

http://www.treehugger.com/interior-de ... are-not-businessweek.html

heh

Posted on: 2013/10/9 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This 'micro apartment living' would be a great solution to provide temporary housing for our homeless and emergency housing / refuge for those that are victims of domestic abuse. The could be managed by a government department with a close association with Police and the Courts.
We could build 2 or 3 of these around the perimeter of JC ... We could even have a competition for architects on their design!

Resized Image

fat-ass-bike: "just another social experiment to go wrong - People living in confined space and next to each other never works"

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/9 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/8 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
So they want to charge what was charged at Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus when they opened in 2007 for a unit HALF the size in 2014 while incomes have remained virtually flat? The quality of life of our middle class is diverging so quickly from that of our upper class that I could definitely see life in the future looking something like a scene from the Matrix, where the upper class has the middle and lower classes stockpiled in some datacenter somewhere with a bunch of wires connected to them to harness their energy.

I'd love to be part of a boycott of this building after it opens.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/8 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
End of suburbia' may nearly be upon us: Sam Zell

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/end-sub ... early-upon-153637167.html

Posted on: 2013/10/8 17:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/2 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a problem with development or micro units, but what we should all have a problem with is the seriously shady dealings behind this one. It was sold out from under PS3 by the city to a developer who didn't have to competitively bid the project. Then got a green light from the city to completely ignore the current zoning and build a project with no limit to the number of units and no required parking - unlike every other new development downtown. Seriously??? If we want to work towards a city with less corruption, then this project deserves to be scrutinized.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
How is it this property seems to have gotten its own zoning? 87 units in the same size lot where 12 was the number in an equal size lot nearby, taller than anything else in the neighborhood, no minimum size specified in the official plans, no Historic Commission review. The rest of us need approval for paint color on our doors and this lot seems to be in another parallel universe of regulation.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Times are changing. People no longer want or need cars anymore. Here's an interesting Bloomberg article.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10 ... an-sales-shrink-cars.html

Posted on: 2013/10/8 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Its an opinion and I don't have my finger on the pulse of social behavior or town planning pitfalls - but more of anything isn't sometimes better

Posted on: 2013/10/8 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
People whine about parking, services, parks, dogs, noise, police numbers, the PATH and every social behavior issue on JClist.
Personally I believe the root cause is high density living and not just the socioeconomic make-up of JC.
We hear of issues around VVP and HP all the time and those areas being a more affluent parts of DTJC.
We continue to have complaints about property values, and its no wonder when you can get a newly built apartment for less then a used one!
I foresee a downturn in businesses occupying the buildings on the waterfront that will eventually be redeveloped to housing. I also doubt many if any property owner will be able to recoupe or generate a profit after interest has been paid back to the banks via mortage payments when they sell in the next 10 years.
Like always I hope I'm totally wrong and only time will tell - I've seen a number of people walk away in recent times from their homes with no profits or even suffering a loss. Foreclosures are still occuring but people are keeping quiet - There is nothing worse that after paying your mortage off that your house / apartment is worth less then you paid for it. Once again I hope I'm wrong, but hearing stories at my parish, people are suffering and the high density developments aren't doing any home owner a favor, or the city in general. Like cattle, you can only support so much per acre!

Well, anyone who feels that way should move out of JC then, right?

Posted on: 2013/10/8 2:28

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017