Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Runners in LSP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
We do it to get a better view of the sexy cyclists, of course. Isn't that obvious?

Posted on: 2013/10/9 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Two things I can add. One, on the paths people walk two, three, four, five, ten across and don't give a crap about people coming up from behind, so it may make sense for runners to avoid that. Two, if cars drove the posted 25 mph on the roads, there wouldn't be any problem for a car to overtake a biker overtaking a runner.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I cycle on Freedom Highway every weekend and have wondered the same thing myself. The runners don't really pose much more of a hazard than do other cyclists EXCEPT that few cyclist will be wearing headphones ? this is the great divide. You can't give a heads up to a runner that you're approaching/passing. If they're running against your flow, it's not that big a deal as they'll see you barreling down. I also wonder from the runner's point of view why they'd want a cyclist buzzing past them at 20+mph. Personally I'd love to mash the twisty, paved paths that run through the park, but it just isn't safe with all the foot traffic.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I used to run two or three times a week in the park before I changed my route. Some runners prefer the road surface as an asphalt surface is marginally softer than a cement surface- this is why you see people running in the street when there is a cement sidewalk available. My recollection of the pedestrian walk in the park is that it was sometimes strewn with twigs and leaves and any runner will prefer a clear surface to one with obstructions, no matter how small. As to the complaints of auto drivers about pedestrians on foot in the park? I have no sympathy for them since they have the REST OF THE CITY in which to drive like idiots in. What perplexed me, as a pedestrian in the park, was why the drivers were going so fast through the park. Why not slow down and enjoy the park as it was intended to be used, not use it as a way to bypass surface streets as appears to be the case.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/15 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
I run in LSP all the time, but I won't give you any flack. There's a path RIGHT next to Freedom Way, no reason at all for runners to use the bike area of the street on a normal day.

The only time I can see a runner venturing into the street is if it's extremely crowded on the path, like when they have walking events or something similar.

By the same token, I see a lot of bikes using the path (and not the street) on the weekends, which equally doesn't make sense. Especially when the path narrows by the marshland.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
On the path beside it or actually on the road? I change my route nearly every time I jog, but don't recall people jogging in the street.

Not the walk, which is a lot more conducive to running and walking but in the road. Granted, it's not many, but there are generally one or two runners in the road when I go biking.

While I don't think this is true for other runners, but today there was a guy with his shirt off (it was 55F), ear buds firmly implanted and oblivious to the world except that he seemed to want to be seen.

I changed my routes also and the path next to the road was part of many runs. And nothing beats the boardwalk unless it's the middle of a weekend day and it's crowded.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
On the path beside it or actually on the road? I change my route nearly every time I jog, but don't recall people jogging in the street.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe it is a race route?

Most people run on Liberty Walk.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 19:20

Runners in LSP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I know I'm gonna get flack from asking this but here goes. I'm mostly asking because I'm curious.

There are plenty of running trails/walks in the park. There's a track used for bicycling, Freedom Way, with bicycle lanes. I suppose the argument could be made the bicycle lanes are also running lanes. Regardless, I don't understand why people run on Freedom Way when there are so many more nicer spots to run without dodging cars and bikes and noxious fumes. I used to run and Freedom Way would be the last place I would wanna run. The only time I used it when the rest of the park was covered in snow.

What am I missing? Why do runners use this route? It can also be hazardous to bicyclists if there is a car coming.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 19:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017