Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: 400 Unit Development in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
It's a money-grab people. The city acts like developers are doing them a favor. Developers clean up and leave the residents to clean up the mess. Vastly overcrowded trains, overtaxed sewer systems and no new public parks. Will people stay? Of course. There are always a few rats still around when they do those lab experiments. Jersey City will look like Flushing soon. I am out of here soon after 25 years. Hopefully it's not too late for this city to "get it right". Sadly though it's heading toward more NYC sprawl.

I agree. The people who are "pro-density" are those that bought in the last 10 years. I've been here for 23 years. I'll give myself another 5.

If you like density so much, why not move to Union City or Guttenberg? Let's turn DTJC into another Kowloon Walled City!

Posted on: 2013/10/6 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It's a money-grab people. The city acts like developers are doing them a favor. Developers clean up and leave the residents to clean up the mess. Vastly overcrowded trains, overtaxed sewer systems and no new public parks. Will people stay? Of course. There are always a few rats still around when they do those lab experiments. Jersey City will look like Flushing soon. I am out of here soon after 25 years. Hopefully it's not too late for this city to "get it right". Sadly though it's heading toward more NYC sprawl.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
If the mayor wants people to settle down here and have kids, he should divert some money from these developments to build more parks. LSP is a huge park, but is not very accessible from downtown. These ugly high-rises with more studios and one beds would only attract young transient crowd. Look at Hoboken and how they have managed to set aside the immediate space along their waterfront for parks instead of hotels and office towers.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This high density inner city developments will only create more traffic congestion, parking issues, stress on our parks and social issues with people living so close to each other.

I've had the belief that good town planning should be based on ratios ... For example, 20 years ago there would have be 'x' amount of swings in a park, 'x' amount of parking spots, 'x' amount of square feet of green space, 'x' amount of people attending the local swimming pool, 'x' amount of police, 'x' amount of cabs, "x' amount space in schools for students etc etc.

Now that we have had a development / population explosion in the past 20 years, the ratio of the above should have increased to accommodate that increase ... which it has not!

Yet surprisingly more people are choosing to move here. Weird.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This high density inner city developments will only create more traffic congestion, parking issues, stress on our parks and social issues with people living so close to each other.

I've had the belief that good town planning should be based on ratios ... For example, 20 years ago there would have be 'x' amount of swings in a park, 'x' amount of parking spots, 'x' amount of square feet of green space, 'x' amount of people attending the local swimming pool, 'x' amount of police, 'x' amount of cabs, "x' amount space in schools for students etc etc.

Now that we have had a development / population explosion in the past 20 years, the ratio of the above should have increased to accommodate that increase ... which it has not!

Posted on: 2013/10/5 22:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Reading through the Luis Munoz Redevelopment plan it seems to me that land is zoned for 66 units/acre. If they want to build 400 units there (which I actually wouldn't mind), the city had damn well extract some meaningful neighborhood improvements from the developer.

Link

Posted on: 2013/10/4 17:13

Edited by moobycow on 2013/10/4 17:29:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
This is the biggest reason to leave DTJC, as I did last year after 18 years there. Sad to leave, but I want space and room to breathe. The over-crowding/overbuilding started to get really bad about 5 years ago or so, IMHO. And there are other really great places to live in JC, trust me.

Can't WAIT!!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/4 16:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
...Bring on the development! With our location it's inevitable anyways.

I see a disturbing trend. Develoment- no inherent issue with that. Development without community input/engagement- scary! Infrastructure needs to be addressed, especially downtown!

The development process issues seems to be similar to those faced by VVPA and potential development at Bright and Varick Streets.

The process started under Healy and involved providing misleading information to the city council.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The fact of the matter is that if the property is zoned for the type of building they want to build there isn't a whole lot the local residents can do to change the project. Heck there isn't even a whole lot the city can do if they meet the zoning requirements.

Hopefully the builder is reasonable and wants to work to make a project people like. Community involvement on these projects is great, often locals have ideas that make it more successful for everyone.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 16:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I should expand on what I wrote earlier. I am completely for building wherever possible without a density requirement. It?s only going to make all our properties more valuable but there are concerns that we all have.

The impact on the services here should not be the developers problem. These developers/condo buyers even with the tax abatements still pay huge amounts of taxes to the city. The city should takes the taxes from this new development and throw that into the rebuilding of the city?s infrastructure. Silverman has done a great job in balancing both architecturally pleasing and neighborhood appropriate buildings. What I am against are buildings that are not architecturally pleasing or built to stand the test of time.

As this city grows so will the jobs that will stay in this city and not everyone will be traveling to NYC. If you look at all the long term projections of this metro area, we are going to grow, there is no stopping it. Our local, state and federal governments? have to look at how to improve the impacts that will certainly follow.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

- No way in hell should they get a tax abatement

Seriously. Does anyone know if the developer will get an abatement?

Pilots have come before the City Council to be approved. So I highly doubt it will get past this Council. But I could be wrong.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seriously. Does anyone know if the developer will get an abatement?

Posted on: 2013/10/4 15:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Put me in the "more the better" camp with mooby and richieveal. I couldn't care any less about parking. If that means it turns some potential buyers off, so be it. This is an incredibly dense city one mile from the largest city in the country. Surface lots and those horrible parking grarages in the bases of buildings have their place in Charlotte but not here.

We should be striving to be an alternative to Brooklyn, not an alternative to the suburbs or just to become a bedroom community for Manhattan workers. To get there and to get all the amenities that come with it means we need more density and to become more pedestrian friendly.
The PATH still has plenty of capacity. I take the WTC line at 8am every morning and it isn't even near as crowded as even the least crowded NYC subway lines. I know the trains in the evening back from 33rd can be a little rough and weekends are abysmal but thats on the PA to schedule more weekend service.

Bring on the development! With our location it's inevitable anyways.

-Which part of Brooklyn? Brooklyn heights? Park slope? Those neighborhoods are discerning and they don't just say, "bring on more development" without looking at the impact on the community.
Regarding different neighborhoods, Williamsburg waterfront is looking like Newport and downtown Brooklyn and Gowanus have major development pending.
-I think Hamilton park needs to be delicate when it comes to development. I commend what Silverman has done with the neighborhood. Unfortunately, not every developer is Silverman.
I also commend Mayor Fulop for standing up to developers for the embankment park. Preserving the embankment and not allowing it to become another development helps preserve the Hamilton Park integrity.
-In terms of the path, I take WTC from Newport or grove since I'm equidistant. But my husband commutes on the 33rd street train and he refuses to pick it up at Newport since it's so crowded during rush hour (8am).
-Regarding a pedestrian bridge, I believe the plan has a tunnel or pedestrian bridge for Marin.

All that said, I have a feeling it's a done deal with Kuschner and now we have to negotiate with the developer to alleviate the impact.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 14:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:

The PATH still has plenty of capacity. I take the WTC line at 8am every morning and it isn't even near as crowded as even the least crowded NYC subway lines. I know the trains in the evening back from 33rd can be a little rough and weekends are abysmal but thats on the PA to schedule more weekend service.

I take the WTC path every day around 8:30 from Grove and while it is crowded, there is room and it is no worse than the 4/5/6 train I used to take during rush hour in NYC. Weekends and nice are a little rough, but that can be adressed with more trains.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
+1. This is a good idea. This development is still in the early deliberative phases, nowhere near groundbreaking, so now's the time to start communicating the neighborhood's desires to Councilwoman Osborne, in person or through an association.

Don't forget to communicate with your 3 council members at-large they vote as well you know. Which can make or break it's acceptence.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 13:06
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Put me in the "more the better" camp with mooby and richieveal. I couldn't care any less about parking. If that means it turns some potential buyers off, so be it. This is an incredibly dense city one mile from the largest city in the country. Surface lots and those horrible parking grarages in the bases of buildings have their place in Charlotte but not here.

We should be striving to be an alternative to Brooklyn, not an alternative to the suburbs or just to become a bedroom community for Manhattan workers. To get there and to get all the amenities that come with it means we need more density and to become more pedestrian friendly.

Bring on the development! With our location it's inevitable anyways.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
A pedestrian overpass over Marin is the most immediate need on your list. A pedestrian overpass is necessary now (in my mind) in order to speed up things for both cars and pedestrians. Having a large residential building smack dab on Marin between 8th and 9th street makes the pedestrian bridge even more necessary.

+1. This is a good idea. This development is still in the early deliberative phases, nowhere near groundbreaking, so now's the time to start communicating the neighborhood's desires to Councilwoman Osborne, in person or through an association.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
A pedestrian overpass over Marin is the most immediate need on your list. A pedestrian overpass is necessary now (in my mind) in order to speed up things for both cars and pedestrians. Having a large residential building smack dab on Marin between 8th and 9th street makes the pedestrian bridge even more necessary.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
JC is one of the densest cities in the country so if space and room to breathe are priorities you should probably be looking elsewhere.

So what should the residents be asking for with this development?

- A pedestrian overpass of Marin?
- A park/plaza (donations to start on the Embankment?)

I'm sure there are some other, better ideas. I'm not worried about parking, it's coming with a deck and the city is already denying permits for people who live in a building with parking.

I know water/transportation, but there's really not a lot a single developer can do there. Maybe the city should start a dedicated fund for improvements paid for by new developments.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
This is the biggest reason to leave DTJC, as I did last year after 18 years there. Sad to leave, but I want space and room to breathe. The over-crowding/overbuilding started to get really bad about 5 years ago or so, IMHO. And there are other really great places to live in JC, trust me.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
HOB = Quality
JC = Quantity

Posted on: 2013/10/3 22:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

PATH needs to address overcrowding on trains.

We aren't anywhere near overcrowding on trains. We need to start being more strategic in getting people on board. ie. japan.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/3 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Increased density is a good thing for DTJC IF the city can get developers to help pay for sewer upgrades, off street parking options, road improvements, etc.

Development without changing JC's infrastructure will lower quality of life...

If the infrustructure cannot be changed then you have reached your limit. The PATH tunnels cannot not be made wider so the width of the train must remain the same, and the speed is at it's safest point for rush hour which regualtes the frequency of the trains.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:39
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Build, build and build some more!! I just want well built aesthetically pleasing buildings. The restaurants, schools, etc.. will only get better with the professionals that will move in.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Increased density is a good thing for DTJC IF the city can get developers to help pay for sewer upgrades, off street parking options, road improvements, etc.

Development without changing JC's infrastructure will lower quality of life...

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe we're being overwhelmed, but projects like these are part of the reason Hamilton Park was cleaned up, they are why we now have new and better dining options, why there are a ton of new business catering to children and families, why we have farmer's markets at the Grove St plaza (or even have a Grove St plaza).

I'm all for getting all the green space and community benefits we can from developers, but I'm not opposed to adding density downtown. The increased density has brought huge benefits to the community that, IMO, outweigh the downside by a lot.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/16 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
maybe it is time for all downtown to band together to put a stop to development that increases more density without planned infrastructure, transportation, parking, parks and green spaces, etc.

We are being overwhelmed from one end of our Historic Districts to the other.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 15:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
The complex will be on the 9th street park on Marin and the parking lots on the 9th street side. The footprint looks like an "L"
There will be a small park between Unico and the new building. There will be 2 stories of parking lots and 12 stories of residential buildings.
After my original post, I was able to run over and see the plan briefly. The developer already bought the land. And what I've heard, it's a done deal since that block is already zoned.
The whole thing is pretty sad considering all the other impending development in the area. It will deplete the already strained community resources and add more congestion. Also, I found the whole project very uninspired.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Can't see them doing this project any other way than knocking down Unico tower. Word is they are planning not only the 400 unit residential tower but a hotel as well.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 11:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone see the plans? KRE is also involved in 18Park in Liberty Harbor, which has about the same number of units (422) but is a full-block project. Where would this development go? Are they proposing knocking down the Unico tower or using the land in the 9th Street park???

Posted on: 2013/10/3 6:40

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017