Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City to boost number of taxi medallions by 20; cab drivers threaten to sue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Jersey City to boost number of taxi medallions by 20; cab drivers threaten to sue

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City will expand the number of taxis it licenses throughout the city by 20 thanks to a vote tonight by the City Council, which agreed with the city?s argument that the increase is necessary to keep up with rising population rates.

The action, which will bring the number of taxi licenses in the city to 124, came despite protests from cab drivers who told the council tonight that the increase will not do anything to lessen lines at the city?s taxi stands and will only harm business for current cabs.

?We wait in line for at least 20 minutes to get a fare of five or six dollars,? said cab driver Tarek Attia, 53, who waits for fares outside the Grove Street PATH station. ?It?s not fair.?

READ MORE

Well, Tarek, you obviously are not going where the people are waiting or have very poor salesmanship, because whether I need a cab at Newport, Grove Street or Journal Square, I almost always have to wait for an available cab to even show up, sometimes a good 15 or 20 minutes if it is late at night (especially at Grove Street). Waiting out in the cold or rain is not fair to me either. Don't get me started on the cars being poorly maintained and/or falling apart, as I never complain about that to the drivers, because by the time a cab shows up for me to take it, I'm just grateful I don't have to wait any more. I figure most cabs in Jersey City are ones that have been retired from the NYC/Manhattan circuit, much like they do with limousines as well. Since my ride in a Jersey City cab never lasts longer than a few minutes (THANK GOD), I'll accept the poor conditions of the vehicles.

But there is clearly a demand for more taxicabs in Jersey City and if the drivers don't like it, they can find another way to make a living.

This is one of those few threads where everyone seems to agree. Too bad, because I was looking forward to a lively debate on this topic that really gets under my skin sometimes (especially when standing at the empty taxi stand at Grove Street, in the rain).

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:47

Re: Residents welcome plan to increase cabs on Jersey City streets; taxi owners less enthusiastic
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 13:54
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
I can never get a cab around here when I really need it. I was coming home this past saturday and wanted a cab to take me the final exhausting half-mile home, and there was no one in sight.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:09

Re: Residents welcome plan to increase cabs on Jersey City streets; taxi owners less enthusiastic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, and they should accept credit cards! Even Philadelphia, one of the most dysfunctional cities in the country, managed to pull that one off.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I also was not aware that they were required to run the meter. I don't take cabs too often, but I would more often if they offered meter service without having to ask, and clean cabs.

The cabs are all filthy and old. Seriously why not require the cabs to be uniformly painted, and specifically yellow? Hoboken does a nice job with this. It would also be awesome if you could hail a cab on the street.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I rarely take cabs in JC (mostly because they're disgusting), but I've never had a driver turn the meter on. I just figured they weren't required to use them. Silly me.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City rakes in over $5M at taxi license auction

on December 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Jersey City brought in over $5 million today auctioning off 20 taxi licenses, with a Journal Square license going for $410,000.

The amount is more than three times what the city had expected to make. Minimum bids for the three Journal Square licenses were $100,000 each.

The license auction, attended by over 60 hopeful taxi moguls, came over the objections of the city?s current licensed cab drivers, who told the City Council in October that there wasn?t enough demand for more taxis.

But Magdy Nakhla, 47, of Jersey City, who today won two taxi licenses to operate at the former Pavonia taxi stand on Town Square Place, said that?s not true.

?I think there?s business for another 25 cabs,? said Nakhla, who said he paid $315,000 and $335,000 for his new licenses.

The minimum bids for those licenses were $80,000 each.

Read more from the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2013/12/13 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
?We wait in line for at least 20 minutes to get a fare of five or six dollars,? said cab driver Tarek Attia, 53, who waits for fares outside the Grove Street PATH station. ?It?s not fair.?

Could it be that more people would take cabs if there was more confidence that they weren't going to be gouged?

Posted on: 2013/10/11 17:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
+1
The rules & fares should also be posted in the cab.
Would also hope for some standards for condition; the few JC cabs I've taken were all ancient, with torn and taped-up seats.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Hoboken has rules and posts them online.

They go as far as to tell you fares for the surrounding towns. For example, a fare from Hoboken to Society Hill is $25. How much do you think it would be from Newport? I bet a lot more.

How about RULES for cabs in JC. More is nice, but does nothing when they can charge whatever.

First, they can start by turning on the meters all the time.

Next, there needs to be SET and FOLLOWED charges. They can start by say, all rides within DTJC $5 like all rides within Hoboken, as the habitable size is comparable.

Then they should sit down and set up fares from each PATH stop or do it by Ward or major landmark (the mall, large building or development, office complex).

Obviously everything should be online, and subject to calls on the 311 line when rules are not followed.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 16:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I take cabs often from Exchange Place to home and I always insist the meter is turned on before we take off, if he/she has a problem with it I take their name and Cab License number and let them know that this is illegal.

99% of the time they immediately turn on the meter and take me where I need to go. I am always quoted $18-20 to GV but with the meter its $8-10.

You will be surprised how many of them that are not the owners of the license number that is posted in the car... (We will save that for another thread)

However, lately I have been lucky. For the last 2 months of taking a cab I have had the same driver, so he knows the drill.

This is helpful! Thanks so much.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken has rules and posts them online.

They go as far as to tell you fares for the surrounding towns. For example, a fare from Hoboken to Society Hill is $25. How much do you think it would be from Newport? I bet a lot more.

How about RULES for cabs in JC. More is nice, but does nothing when they can charge whatever.

First, they can start by turning on the meters all the time.

Next, there needs to be SET and FOLLOWED charges. They can start by say, all rides within DTJC $5 like all rides within Hoboken, as the habitable size is comparable.

Then they should sit down and set up fares from each PATH stop or do it by Ward or major landmark (the mall, large building or development, office complex).

Obviously everything should be online, and subject to calls on the 311 line when rules are not followed.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
JC Cabs seldom run the meter and then just tell you an inflated price. If you ask about the meter the make up something. I usually just give them what I think it's worth and tell them to call the police if they have a problem. No one has yet oddly.

6 bucks from Newport seems about right though.

I've been told by a cabby that I use on a regular basis, that they're supposed to use the meter when you're picked up at Taxi Stand, but not if you call for one. They're supposed to tell you the fare over the phone when you call.

I met a guy from the JC Taxi Commission who was monitoring cabs at Grove St. He said that they're required to run the meter at all times.

And that's the issue in JC: no one knows what the rules are (or how to access them), which effectively renders them unenforceable.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
JC Cabs seldom run the meter and then just tell you an inflated price. If you ask about the meter the make up something. I usually just give them what I think it's worth and tell them to call the police if they have a problem. No one has yet oddly.

I've been told by a cabby that I use on a regular basis, that they're supposed to use the meter when you're picked up at Taxi Stand, but not if you call for one. They're supposed to tell you the fare over the phone when you call.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I take cabs often from Exchange Place to home and I always insist the meter is turned on before we take off, if he/she has a problem with it I take their name and Cab License number and let them know that this is illegal.

99% of the time they immediately turn on the meter and take me where I need to go. I am always quoted $18-20 to GV but with the meter its $8-10.

You will be surprised how many of them that are not the owners of the license number that is posted in the car... (We will save that for another thread)

However, lately I have been lucky. For the last 2 months of taking a cab I have had the same driver, so he knows the drill.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:25

Re: Jersey City to boost number of taxi medallions by 20; cab drivers threaten to sue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I got home late last night from NYC. I got off the Newport Path around 10:20/10:30. I was intending to get a taxi but when I said I was going to Hamilton Park, the taxi drivers wanted $8. I walked away and then they offered $7. Someone eventually yelled "$6." I said, "I don't take rides from people who gouge riders."
I asked around and people have told me that the Taxi drivers are supposed to run meters. Does anyone have issues with taxi drivers not running meters?
Thanks

Posted on: 2013/10/10 0:36

Jersey City to boost number of taxi medallions by 20; cab drivers threaten to sue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City will expand the number of taxis it licenses throughout the city by 20 thanks to a vote tonight by the City Council, which agreed with the city?s argument that the increase is necessary to keep up with rising population rates.

The action, which will bring the number of taxi licenses in the city to 124, came despite protests from cab drivers who told the council tonight that the increase will not do anything to lessen lines at the city?s taxi stands and will only harm business for current cabs.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/10/10 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I don't know how JSQ is the busiest taxi stand in the city. I almost never see a cab there when I get home.

Precisely. They are all out making drop-offs.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know how JSQ is the busiest taxi stand in the city. I almost never see a cab there when I get home.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 14:04
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What I'd like to see on JC's streets are uniform taxi cars, like Hoboken has. Cars that are all the same color (yellow), with the same medallion, and some sort of standardized pricing structure.

JC's taxi system is like the wild west.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

john1952 wrote:
More cabs, let the market determine how many are needed. The city needs revenue.

The market has determined it. If you were to actually read the article the current amount of cabs is under serving the population of the city. With the population of the city continuing to rise more will be needed.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 18:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
More cabs, let the market determine how many are needed. The city needs revenue.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
In 10 years the JC taxi medallions will be worth 5 times what they are worth now.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Well damn. Did not know taxi licenses were that much money.

A few years ago, I was surprised to learn that a taxi medallion in New York City runs about $1,000,000.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

Hey, if the government guards your cartel, you got to share, right? And, the beauty of a cartel is, - the customers have nowhere to go.

Funny, how when people watch the movie "Aviator" and most of the time they do realize that it would have been a horrible idea to create a federally protected monopolistic air company. And they do realize that all the talk about how it would improve customer service is pure bull.

Then they come home, and the city tells them that they want to do that same thing to the taxis, - again, to improve the service, - and we swallow that hook line and sinker.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/1 2:34

Residents welcome plan to increase cabs on Jersey City streets; taxi owners less enthusiastic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY ? A plan by Jersey City to increase the number of cabs with city-approved taxi licenses is being applauded by commuters who rely on cabs, but has rankled taxi cab owners and drivers.

For the past several years, residents have complained that Jersey City does not have enough taxis at its four designated cab stand or patrolling the streets to meet it growing population, a problem that can lead to long wait times for cabs, especially on weekends, late nights, or during inclement weather. The wait time for a cab at the Journal Square taxi stand, the city?s busiest taxi stand, can sometimes be as long as 30 minutes.

After months of complaints from commuters, the city ? under the administration of former mayor Jerramiah T. Healy -- last year tried to increase the number of cabs at the Journal Square stand during designated peak hours. This experiment ended and was not extended, however, after cab owners complained that this change was made without their input.

The city is now poised to address the problem again, this time under the administration of Mayor Steven Fulop.

If the plan is approved by the City Council, the administration plans to hold public auctions for city-issued cab licenses. Assuming that all of the licenses are sold, residents will have access to 20 additional cabs in the city.

?Great. Can?t happen soon enough,? said Greg Toback, a Jersey City resident who takes cabs from the Journal Square PATH Station to his home in the Heights. He said he regularly waits 15 top 20 minutes for a cab, although has waited longer when it?s raining or snowing.

But Eric Kwless, the owner of Alex Taxi, said the plan violates an agreement cab owners have with the city.

?We were told last year by the Division of Commerce that they would tell us if they were making any changes. No one told us about this plan. We are just hearing about it,? Kwless said.

Under the administration?s plan, the Journal Square taxi stand would get three additional cabs. The downtown taxi stand at Grove Street would get two additional cabs. The Exchange Place stand would get two additional taxis. And the stand at Newport would get four additional cabs. Nine licenses would be sold for cabs that are not tied to a designated taxi stand.

The taxi licenses would be sold for prices ranging from $50,000 to $100,000, depending on which stand a taxi services, and the Fulop administration expects the sale of the licenses to be a big revenue generator for the city. ? E. Assata Wright

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Residents welcome plan to increase cabs on Jersey City streets taxi owners less enthusiastic

Posted on: 2013/9/30 19:21

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017