Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: New Jersey's Insane Ban on Self-Service Gasoline
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/3 4:40
From Jersey City Ward C
Group:
Banned
I think technically you could have an attendant fill up an outside container like a spare gas can and then you could put it in the car yourself if you wanted to.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
On the outbound road (the one that extends from the Holland Tunnel into JC as you exit the tunnel) you will find two such stations: Hess (immediately to your right, as you exit the tunnel) and the BP, which is located on your right towards the end of the road, before you get to the turnpike on-ramp.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 2:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if any gas stations near the holland tunnel do cash/ credit same price? Liberty gas or CLK gas or possibly the ones on Baldwin near 139 upper?

Posted on: 2014/7/8 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
One of the primary (if not sole) reason my gas station has banned self-service, is because of the high number of 'drive off's'; people filling up and driving off without paying.

I work a lot in LA, and every pump requires you to insert a valid credit card or give cash to an attendant before the gas will flow. I don't think drive-offs are much of an issue anymore.

tangentially: I don't understand why so many northeast drivers are excited about getting out of their cars in 20-degree weather to pump gas.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The real reason self-service was banned in NJ by Paul Mulshine.

Fifty-one years ago, gas was selling at 21.9 cents a gallon. The price was rigged by a gentlemen's agreement among gas station owners.

"Reingold decided to offer the consumer a choice by opening up a 24-pump gas station on Route 17 in Hackensack. He offered gas at 18.9 cents a gallon. The only requirement was that drivers pump it themselves. They didn't mind. They lined up for blocks.

"The other gas station operators didn't like the competition. Someone tried shooting up Reingold's station. But he installed bulletproof glass, so the retailers looked for a softer target - the Statehouse. The Gasoline Retailers Association prevailed upon its pals in the Legislature to push through a bill banning self-serve gas. The pretext was safety, but the Hackensack fire chief had already told all who would listen that Rein- gold's operation was perfectly safe.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 12:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/21 17:13
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Samir wrote:
I just moved to the area, and I HATE that I can't pump my own gas. Why? Because of the one time the attendant used the pump nozzle to close my fuel door, leaving a nice dent in it. Grrr...

Sure, it was 2am, but I needed gas. Not a problem in any other state I've driven in (about half of the continental US), since I can just pump it myself.

On a side note, what is with the jug handles and crazy road designs? It's like a 3yr old just drew all the roads using crayons and they built that mess. No left turns and I can't pump my own gas? Has there really been that many problems with these two things in the last decade?

We made the roads like that just to annoy out of towners. It makes it more fun that way.
They're actually quite fun once you know them--finding the apex is actually late, late, wait-for-it...now!

But I've seem some horrendously dangerous turnoffs and 180s that will take someone not paying attention and put them head-on into some concrete. And what's worse is there's a good pileup of fresh marks from people that did just that. Terrible civil engineering...

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
It's amusing when people from Jersey hit the road and have to fill up their tanks out of state. They always sit at the pump for a minute or two before realizing that no one is coming out to do it for them. The last time I flew out of state and had a rental car, I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to reset the pump and get the thing going. I had to ask the guy at the next pump. He looked at me like I was an idiot, and his impression of me probably didn't improve when I said, rather defensively, "I'm from Jersey."
LOL!! I've got to watch for this the next time I see a Jersey plate at an out-of-state gas station. It should provide 30s of humor before I go help them out. :D

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Samir wrote:
[quote]
Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Coming from someone who grew up doing it myself i have a hard time trusting someone else to do it and not spill gas on my car or scratch the fuel filler door.
Here here! Spills are the worst--they can damage the paint even quicker than a dent![/quote

Gasoline generally doesn't damage paint in the way that, say, brake fluid does.
Thank God it doesn't, but it's still not good for it at all, especially if you don't know it happened and it stays on a while.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Samir wrote:
I just moved to the area, and I HATE that I can't pump my own gas. Why? Because of the one time the attendant used the pump nozzle to close my fuel door, leaving a nice dent in it. Grrr...

Sure, it was 2am, but I needed gas. Not a problem in any other state I've driven in (about half of the continental US), since I can just pump it myself.

On a side note, what is with the jug handles and crazy road designs? It's like a 3yr old just drew all the roads using crayons and they built that mess. No left turns and I can't pump my own gas? Has there really been that many problems with these two things in the last decade?

We made the roads like that just to annoy out of towners. It makes it more fun that way.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 19:17
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I'm ok with paying a few cents more per fillup if it means thousands of people in the state get jobs, and I don't have to get out of my car during snowstorms.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It's true when travelling we seem to have to apoligize by saying "I'm from Jersey"
I make sure the gas attendent gives my cap a good twist otherwise the engine light comes on and I have to wait for it to reset or disconnect the black battery cable then reconnect it.
When paying with cash give them a specific amount so it will not excede the fill zone.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 14:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
It's amusing when people from Jersey hit the road and have to fill up their tanks out of state. They always sit at the pump for a minute or two before realizing that no one is coming out to do it for them. The last time I flew out of state and had a rental car, I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to reset the pump and get the thing going. I had to ask the guy at the next pump. He looked at me like I was an idiot, and his impression of me probably didn't improve when I said, rather defensively, "I'm from Jersey."

Posted on: 2013/9/20 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Samir wrote:
[quote]
Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Coming from someone who grew up doing it myself i have a hard time trusting someone else to do it and not spill gas on my car or scratch the fuel filler door.
Here here! Spills are the worst--they can damage the paint even quicker than a dent![/quote

Gasoline generally doesn't damage paint in the way that, say, brake fluid does.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I also prefer to pump my own gas, and for many of the same reasons some have stated. But here is another: my car has one of those systems that detects if the cap is on, or not, and it should never be over-tightened. It drives me crazy to be sitting in my car and to hear the attendant twisting that cap while it keeps clicking and clicking away indicating it is already secure.

The top-offs are an issue, and I vaguely remember a PSA campaign (may have been elsewhere, or maybe it was a national campaign, can't recall) encouraging people NOT to top off, as it led to waste, etc.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if the "top offs" are more common when paying with cash. I use a credit card, and rarely do the attendants take the time to top off the fill up. There's no need to get it to an even amount to minimize the change making process. Count me as one who prefers Jersey style gas stations, as impatient as I can be, though while driving elsewhere I'll deal with doing it myself just fine.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 9:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Here here! Spills are the worst--they can damage the paint even quicker than a dent!

Posted on: 2013/9/20 2:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
One of the primary (if not sole) reason my gas station has banned self-service, is because of the high number of 'drive off's'; people filling up and driving off without paying. Another reason is that it helps mitigate robberies; You can't as easily sneak up and prepare for a robbery with an attandant on the drive-way to the pumps.

The owner went on to say 'drive off's' use false plates on their cars, so their CCTV cameras don't become a deterrent. Back in the day, all gas stations were SERVICE stations, which meant you got your oil and tires checked plus a top up of water in your washer wipers while you got a fill.
Hmmm...those are some really good points. With the economy where it is, I know drive-offs have become more common, and gas station robberies are quite common (and dangerous) outside of NJ.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yesfan wrote:
I don't have a problem pumping my own gas but love the fact that you don't have to in N.J.It's nice to be able to relax in the car while someone else pumps the gas especially if it is cold or raining.I always give a dollar tip to ,so it the attendants can make a little extra money for their service.

A dollar tip thats great as if gas prices arent't high enough. Sometmes I wish I could pump my own but the spills, stains, and smell make me glad I fill up in N.J. especially in bad weather.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 17:26
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I like having a choice, many gas stations out of state have self serve and full serve islands. If you want to sit in the car , go to the full serve.

In NJ, I loathe having the attendants pump my gas. They are slow, they don't secure the gas cover properly and always pump more than is required. It is annoying because I'm wasting $, they are wasting gas and its spilling onto my car (you can see them trying to round up the price)

Posted on: 2013/9/19 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
What I really appreciate are the few remaining stations in NJ where the attendant will wash your windscreen and rear window while your tank fills up. The guys that do that get tips. Even if they don't do that, I much prefer full-serve. I'm capable of pumping my own gas but I don't derive my sense of independence or self-worth from it.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 14:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I'm with the pro-attendant cadre. I grew up here in NJ and love it. I have lived in MD and NY and while I didn't have strong feelings about pumping it myself one way or the other, I definitely prefer not having to pump it. I don't mind the extra minute when there are several people waiting. I think it's nice to have one small moment in time where someone is doing something for me with no expectation of a tip.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Gas will not be cheaper if we go to self-serve. You will wind up paying the same price for self-serve as you do now and more for full serve. And the wait time for an attendant is rarely more than a minute or two. You guys are exaggerating. You don't have anywhere that important to go that another minute or two would matter, anyway. No, you don't.

In an era where we are left to fend for ourselves for just about every damn thing, the full-serve gas station is one of the last luxuries. How is it not a good thing to have someone do something for you without paying extra?

Posted on: 2013/9/19 13:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/21 13:30
From jsq
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a problem pumping my own gas but love the fact that you don't have to in N.J.It's nice to be able to relax in the car while someone else pumps the gas especially if it is cold or raining.I always give a dollar tip to ,so it the attendants can make a little extra money for their service.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I just get out of the car and pump my own damn gas. Never had an attendant say anything. Coming from someone who grew up doing it myself i have a hard time trusting someone else to do it and not spill gas on my car or scratch the fuel filler door.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 1:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Ewww. I hate pumping gas ... like a peasant. Lived in NJ all my life ... and so help me, I hope they never, ever change the attendant-only service laws in NJ in my lifetime.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
One of the primary (if not sole) reason my gas station has banned self-service, is because of the high number of 'drive off's'; people filling up and driving off without paying. Another reason is that it helps mitigate robberies; You can't as easily sneak up and prepare for a robbery with an attandant on the drive-way to the pumps.

The owner went on to say 'drive off's' use false plates on their cars, so their CCTV cameras don't become a deterrent. Back in the day, all gas stations were SERVICE stations, which meant you got your oil and tires checked plus a top up of water in your washer wipers while you got a fill.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 23:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
I love not pumping my own gas. Pumping my own gas seems like such a damn drag.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in Maryland and I LOATHE not being able to pump my own gas! In MD we're taught how to pump gas with a learners permit at age 15. To hear that adults have trouble with this is sad. It's just faster and easier to do myself.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 23:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
In other states, you often can't get attendant service even if you want it.

Yes it is a paternalistic law designed to make work. But I don't mind, sheep that I am.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 21:25

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017