Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Girl injured after police say a tractor trailer plowed into her at Jersey City crosswalk
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/21 17:13
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
There is no doubt the driver 'ran away' from the scene, but a constructive discussion would be to look at ways to help mitigate this from re-occuring.

1. What could the kid have done (bike lights / reflective clothing / helmets / education on safe night riding in schools) ?
2. What could have the parents done ?
3. What could have the driver done (better education) ?
4. What could the police do (more enforcement / slower posted speed restrictions) ?
5. What could cityhall do (traffic lights or other infrustructure to reduce speed or extra street lighting)

I don't believe this guy went out of his way to hit the kid, however if he had a defective vehicle or affected by substances, then he should be 'hit' twice a hard with penalties and prison term. His biggest mistake was running away from the scene ... very stupid
Best solution--find out what works for other cities and do that. From what I've seen, Jersey's traffic structure and maintenance is all messed up. I really hate to say it now that I live here, but it's like the third world with signs. :(

I see places where things like this could happen every day. Just tonight I parked my car where if someone isn't looking right, they'll hit the cars parked behind me because a row of street lights is out, and they have been out for weeks now.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:44

Re: Girl injured after police say a tractor trailer plowed into her at Jersey City crosswalk
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
There's a follow-up article here:
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_police_charge_truc.html

Apparently the girl was treated and released.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
There is no doubt the driver 'ran away' from the scene, but a constructive discussion would be to look at ways to help mitigate this from re-occuring.

1. What could the kid have done (bike lights / reflective clothing / helmets / education on safe night riding in schools) ?
2. What could have the parents done ?
3. What could have the driver done (better education) ?
4. What could the police do (more enforcement / slower posted speed restrictions) ?
5. What could cityhall do (traffic lights or other infrustructure to reduce speed or extra street lighting)

I don't believe this guy went out of his way to hit the kid, however if he had a defective vehicle or affected by substances, then he should be 'hit' twice a hard with penalties and prison term. His biggest mistake was running away from the scene ... very stupid

Posted on: 2013/9/20 2:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Screw the driver. Read the article, he hit the girl & took off. Thankfully people in vehicles who witnessed the accident took off after the bastard.
Well, if he didn't see what he hit (or even knew it happened), it still could be accidental.

Although if it was an intentional hit and run, it wouldn't surprise me. There's a lot of shady drivers in the NJ/NYC area imo.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Driver is guilty of failing to stop, render help or calling authorities. If this was done, then it wouldn't have compounded the situation of automatic fault.

The argument he might have had is over-shadowed by fleeing, regardless if he was scared, didn't have a licence, drunk etc. If there was no driving impairment or lack of licence, I doubt he would deliberately hit a cyclist, as was the kid to rid into a vehicle.

His arguement could still be that he never saw the cyclist (regardless of age or whether she was wearing reflective clothing or had bike lights). Was she on her bike cruising through the crosswalk, or was she walking the bike as legally required ?

Did she ride her bike into the truck trailer, or did the truck trailer hit her ?

We just don't have enough information and hopefully any Court proceeding might enlighten us .. Our goal as a community is to look for ways to mitigate this accident from happening again; education, better signs, better traffic management infrustructure, better street lights etc etc

Question still remains what was a 15 year old doing out at 11:30 (beyond curfew) on a school night. Also was she wearing a helmet as is the law?

I hope you read today's JJ. This jerk knew full well what he did & still left the seen.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Driver is guilty of failing to stop, render help or calling authorities. If this was done, then it wouldn't have compounded the situation of automatic fault.

The argument he might have had is over-shadowed by fleeing, regardless if he was scared, didn't have a licence, drunk etc. If there was no driving impairment or lack of licence, I doubt he would deliberately hit a cyclist, as was the kid to rid into a vehicle.

His arguement could still be that he never saw the cyclist (regardless of age or whether she was wearing reflective clothing or had bike lights). Was she on her bike cruising through the crosswalk, or was she walking the bike as legally required ?

Did she ride her bike into the truck trailer, or did the truck trailer hit her ?

We just don't have enough information and hopefully any Court proceeding might enlighten us .. Our goal as a community is to look for ways to mitigate this accident from happening again; education, better signs, better traffic management infrustructure, better street lights etc etc

Posted on: 2013/9/19 2:59
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Samir wrote:
How awful. :(

What I've learned about being a pedestrian (and try to relay to my wife, mostly unsuccessfully), is to look around as if you're driving a car and don't trust the signs.

In a car, I'm more worried about an accident wasting my time and damaging my property than having the right of way. I behave the same way as a pedestrian because I'd rather have my original knees versus some replacements after a year of physical therapy. It's kept me out of trouble driving or walking.

I hope the girl will be okay, and the driver too as that's got to be an awful feeling to live with if you drive for a living. :(

Screw the driver. Read the article, he hit the girl & took off. Thankfully people in vehicles who witnessed the accident took off after the bastard.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 2:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
How awful. :(

What I've learned about being a pedestrian (and try to relay to my wife, mostly unsuccessfully), is to look around as if you're driving a car and don't trust the signs.

In a car, I'm more worried about an accident wasting my time and damaging my property than having the right of way. I behave the same way as a pedestrian because I'd rather have my original knees versus some replacements after a year of physical therapy. It's kept me out of trouble driving or walking.

I hope the girl will be okay, and the driver too as that's got to be an awful feeling to live with if you drive for a living. :(

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
I sincerely hope & pray that this child will be okay & fully recover from this accident.

However, I have two questions:

1. What was a 15 year old doing out at 11:30pm on a school night?

2. Why in the world would anyone in their right mind be riding a bike that hour of the night? Bikes zipping in & out of traffic during the day are bad enough but when it is dark. Just saying.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 21:53

Girl injured after police say a tractor trailer plowed into her at Jersey City crosswalk
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Girl injured after police say a tractor trailer plowed into her at Jersey City crosswalk

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A truck driver residing in Jersey City is in jail today after witnesses told police he slammed into a teen girl crossing Summit Avenue on her bike and kept driving even after motorists tried to stop him.

Allan Sookhai, 54, was driving east on Montgomery Street last night at about 11:30 p.m. when witnesses say he turned right on Summit Avenue and hit the girl, according to an accident report.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/9/18 19:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017