Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: MorrisCanal Park -- for dogs or kids?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Not to mention that NY Waterway does not observe the no-wake zone in the canal and is eroding the park on a daily basis.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 13:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
While I'm not one to make excuses for irresponsible dog owners, that entire peninsula was covered with geese poop for years. I mean, one did not walk there after dark without removing one's shoes before re-entering one's apt.

That area is usable for children for about a week every Spring, when they cut the grass and remove all the trash.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

By that I don't just mean stricter enforcement of leash laws, but funding for cleaning, possibly a dog run, etc. The bottom line is that you'll see changes in the future, but it's going to take time, probably not until next spring.

In the meantime, when you see dogs off leash, you must call 201-547-5477 and they will dispatch animal control.

I did see the other thread but thought it was noteworthy that the issue was previously extensively discussed on a thread specifically about Morris Canal Park. It's a shame that this has been a problem for so long.

Your quoted comments above are great news. I'm really hoping for meaningful change.

I am concerned that many dog owners would prefer to see the park remain in bad shape to avoid having a dog run installed because that kind of mentality could hold up any plans to fix the problem.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Bubble, this is covered heavily in the Open Letter to Dog Owners thread. Morris Canal is being discussed by Candice to be purchased/leased from LSP to Jersey City so we can have greater control as to what happens there.

By that I don't just mean stricter enforcement of leash laws, but funding for cleaning, possibly a dog run, etc. The bottom line is that you'll see changes in the future, but it's going to take time, probably not until next spring.

Keep your fingers crossed!

In the meantime, when you see dogs off leash, you must call 201-547-5477 and they will dispatch animal control.

Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Morris Canal Park desperately needs a dog run area and leash laws need to be enforced. I see from this thread that this problem goes back years. I am a dog lover and have owned dogs for most of my life, but it has now gotten to the point that the area is known as a "dog park" and people without dogs simply don't want to be there. That's wrong. It's such a beautiful area that people should be able to enjoy, even if it isn't developed any time soon.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Morris Canal Park desperately needs a dog run area and leash laws need to be enforced. I see from this thread that this problem goes back years. I am a dog lover and have owned dogs for most of my life, but it has now gotten to the point that the area is known as a "dog park" and people without dogs simply don't want to be there. That's wrong. It's such a beautiful area that people should be able to enjoy, even if it isn't developed any time soon.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

First of all, why didn't you speak up 3 years ago when I was being accused of making up that story? Secondly, I never insisted it was a lie. I was the one being called a liar!! People said that I made the whole thing up so your memory is a bit off on that one. Also, you could have spoken to the newspaper anonymously and at least cleared up the cloud that hung over the facts. Also, I know that you treat your dogs very well but the person I speak of, who doesn't post on this site anymore, treats their dog like a nuisance. They are hardly in a position to be critical of other dog owners. I respect your opinion but I believe you are over stating the real facts about dogs in Hamilton Park. It really is not a big problem and certain people are just trying to whip up hysterical reactions. In any case I am glad that I am finally exonerated.

I was asked NOT to speak to the paper the very last minute by the owner of the dead doxie and by the walker of the dead doxie. I am pretty sure you know why. With milli- seconds to make a decision I caved and kept my mouth shut but spoke to a detective instead WITH the doxies owner and walker. I tried very hard to get them to press charges to no avail!
I have nothing against you, your dogs, or your family, we just have diffrent opinions ( and I respect yours very much) You have never bothered me neither have your dogs. You have control of your dogs UNLIKE some others.
And yes I do remember now that people said you made it up as they said I made it up. It was a horrible thing for me to see a doxxie get picked up like prey and be killed. It could have been my little guy beacuse I was standing right there talking to the walker. But once again this is a seperate issue. Whats going on in Morris Canal Park has nothing to do with HAmilton Park
Peace

Understood. Peace to you.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

First of all, why didn't you speak up 3 years ago when I was being accused of making up that story? Secondly, I never insisted it was a lie. I was the one being called a liar!! People said that I made the whole thing up so your memory is a bit off on that one. Also, you could have spoken to the newspaper anonymously and at least cleared up the cloud that hung over the facts. Also, I know that you treat your dogs very well but the person I speak of, who doesn't post on this site anymore, treats their dog like a nuisance. They are hardly in a position to be critical of other dog owners. I respect your opinion but I believe you are over stating the real facts about dogs in Hamilton Park. It really is not a big problem and certain people are just trying to whip up hysterical reactions. In any case I am glad that I am finally exonerated.

I was asked NOT to speak to the paper the very last minute by the owner of the dead doxie and by the walker of the dead doxie. I am pretty sure you know why. With milli- seconds to make a decision I caved and kept my mouth shut but spoke to a detective instead WITH the doxies owner and walker. I tried very hard to get them to press charges to no avail!
I have nothing against you, your dogs, or your family, we just have diffrent opinions ( and I respect yours very much) You have never bothered me neither have your dogs. You have control of your dogs UNLIKE some others.
And yes I do remember now that people said you made it up as they said I made it up. It was a horrible thing for me to see a doxxie get picked up like prey and be killed. It could have been my little guy beacuse I was standing right there talking to the walker. But once again this is a seperate issue. Whats going on in Morris Canal Park has nothing to do with HAmilton Park
Peace

Posted on: 2010/4/24 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:

Vigilante - what is with your insistence that dogs should be allowed to do whatever they please? This is a serious question. I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind this stance.

Agreed. At first it was nice to hear a voice advocating for the dogs, but now you are starting to sound a bit off-kilter. What gives?

It's interesting that the person who first told me 3 years ago about a pitbull killing a daschund puppy in Hamilton Park is one of the big voices now on this subject. That person then refused to talk to the cops and the press when we needed them most. That pitbull and the owner eventually fled the area without paying compensation or being fined. Instead of tackling the real problem, one aggressive dog with a bad owner, they tried to spin the story and make it about all the dogs in HP. They and some others tried to use the story of ONE bad dog owner to cast suspicion on all the other dogs and owners in HP. There are others too who are influencing our councilman. If you dog lovers out there saw how one of these persons in particular treated their dog you would be appalled. These people have been working to try and exert their control over all things Hamilton Park. (Did I oppose the BB courts? Yes, I think they add more chaos to the park than any other aspect. I have no political influence though. It was just my opinion). These people have the ear of our counilman though and they will do anything they can to control and compartmentalize HP. If the dogs there in the past were so menacing and over-running the park then how was it that there were 5 to 6 cricket games going on all over the park? How was it that the kids always had soccer and baseball practice without problems or incidents? There is no army of sunbathers waiting by the gates of HP shaking in fear. Anyone who wanted to could sunbath there and there were never any problems. These people have created a climate of hysteria about dogs. I have never seen a dog go after a child in HP. In fact, I have only seen the opposite. Children insisting on petting dogs and pulling their tails while parents stood nearby and did nothing. No problem though. There has always been a harmony in the park and things have been fine. Are there bad dog owners? Yes, just as there are bad parents. The subject of dog owners not cleaning up is a COMPLETELY separate issue. It goes hand in hand with LITTERERS. IMO all litterers should be shot.

Once again this is NOT about Hamilton Park. As far as the pitbull and Doxxie I myself was the one who witnessed it and spoke to the authorities about it. Your info is wrong ONCE AGAIN Vigilante. Just beacuse I refused to address it with you and everyone else in Hamilton Park does not mean that it was not addressed. It was taken care of and done so with out the gossip and interfearance of every nosey dog owner in Hamilton Park. The authorities got my statement but as you know since it was a delicate situation with the people involved they got it away from the public eye. So stop spreading rumors that are NOT true. You are such an angry human being Vigilante. Get over it!!!And FYI the pitbull and owner did NOT get fined beacuse the doxxie's owner did NOT want to press charges. Once again stop spreading rumors. Anyways you were the one that kept insisting that the story was a lie. Think before you type and open that mouth of yours.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh I almost forgot.... My passion comes from the ignorance of the off leash dog owners. Click on my name and look at previous posts.
Vigilante stop being so angry your going to bust a vein!
That pitt bull situation has nothing to do with my passion.

Both those dogs were off leash. Both of them were irresponsible.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:

Vigilante - what is with your insistence that dogs should be allowed to do whatever they please? This is a serious question. I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind this stance.

Agreed. At first it was nice to hear a voice advocating for the dogs, but now you are starting to sound a bit off-kilter. What gives?

It's interesting that the person who first told me 3 years ago about a pitbull killing a daschund puppy in Hamilton Park is one of the big voices now on this subject. That person then refused to talk to the cops and the press when we needed them most. That pitbull and the owner eventually fled the area without paying compensation or being fined. Instead of tackling the real problem, one aggressive dog with a bad owner, they tried to spin the story and make it about all the dogs in HP. They and some others tried to use the story of ONE bad dog owner to cast suspicion on all the other dogs and owners in HP. There are others too who are influencing our councilman. If you dog lovers out there saw how one of these persons in particular treated their dog you would be appalled. These people have been working to try and exert their control over all things Hamilton Park. (Did I oppose the BB courts? Yes, I think they add more chaos to the park than any other aspect. I have no political influence though. It was just my opinion). These people have the ear of our counilman though and they will do anything they can to control and compartmentalize HP. If the dogs there in the past were so menacing and over-running the park then how was it that there were 5 to 6 cricket games going on all over the park? How was it that the kids always had soccer and baseball practice without problems or incidents? There is no army of sunbathers waiting by the gates of HP shaking in fear. Anyone who wanted to could sunbath there and there were never any problems. These people have created a climate of hysteria about dogs. I have never seen a dog go after a child in HP. In fact, I have only seen the opposite. Children insisting on petting dogs and pulling their tails while parents stood nearby and did nothing. No problem though. There has always been a harmony in the park and things have been fine. Are there bad dog owners? Yes, just as there are bad parents. The subject of dog owners not cleaning up is a COMPLETELY separate issue. It goes hand in hand with LITTERERS. IMO all litterers should be shot.

Once again this is NOT about Hamilton Park. As far as the pitbull and Doxxie I myself was the one who witnessed it and spoke to the authorities about it. Your info is wrong ONCE AGAIN Vigilante. Just beacuse I refused to address it with you and everyone else in Hamilton Park does not mean that it was not addressed. It was taken care of and done so with out the gossip and interfearance of every nosey dog owner in Hamilton Park. The authorities got my statement but as you know since it was a delicate situation with the people involved they got it away from the public eye. So stop spreading rumors that are NOT true. You are such an angry human being Vigilante. Get over it!!!And FYI the pitbull and owner did NOT get fined beacuse the doxxie's owner did NOT want to press charges. Once again stop spreading rumors. Anyways you were the one that kept insisting that the story was a lie. Think before you type and open that mouth of yours.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:

This thread is not about HAMILTON PARK. It's about MORRIS CANAL PARK. MC and the waterfront is completely over run by unleashed dogs and it is a problem, whether you like it or not. Did anyone on this thread say that their children were mauled by a dog? No. However, I can tell you that my child has been knocked down by an unleashed dog while she was minding her own business a few years ago. And while she likes to pet dogs, I never let her do it without asking me first and then asking the owner first. And I only let her pet a dog rarely.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:

Posted on: 2010/4/23 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/22 2:32

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/4/24 3:55:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:

The safest place for a dog to be is leashed by its owner's side. If Vigilante insists on letting his pet roam free, he is no advocate for dogs.

OH so true I heart JC.
I think Vigilante is just angry that options are being made difficult for him in Hamilton Park and that he will need to SNEAK around if he lets those dogs off leash. There are to many dog owners that just don't want dogs running around and he is out numbered. It's kind of sad if you think about how he thinks.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:

The safest place for a dog to be is leashed by its owner's side. If Vigilante insists on letting his pet roam free, he is no advocate for dogs.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:

Posted on: 2010/4/21 15:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
Dog owners who do not pick after their dogs give the rest of us who do such a bad rap. I hate it too. It takes a few seconds to pick up after them and there are sufficient garabage containers around downtown to dispose them. You don't need fancy plastic bags (supermarket bags will do).

Leaving dog fecus around is also bad for other dogs. Don't folks understand that their dog can get someone else's dog illness thru fecus laying around. Vet's bills are so expensive that a few seconds doesn't hurt anyone.

LSP should have a dog run and not these 10 by 10 dog runs. HP is opening soon and I'll bet that dog owners will let their dogs off leash. Kids will end up in the dog run with no parent supervision. But as soon as a dog bites a kid, all hell will break loose.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

megan2681 wrote:
I never thought much of Morris Canal Park before I had a kid. Now I see it as a much needed, nearby and grassy retreat for my ever curious toddler. I do, however, find myself grossed out by poop and pee and scared by dogs off their leash.

Let me note that I am absolutely a dog lover and realize that dogs need parks too. I think that dog owners must be equally frustrated by curious kids and having to leash their dog (those that do).

I could go to VVP, but the same argument could be made for the dogs. So my questions is - who is Morris Canal for? Dogs or kids? Does anyone want to see changes made (i.e. a dog run) so everyone can happily (and safely) use it?

Long after you have moved to the suburbs for the better and safer school systems the dogs will be there enjoying the park.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 14:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Funny, I had been commenting on this thread a few days ago. On Monday evening, we went for a walk in the park. Not running (as I've given up on running in this de facto dog park). Yesterday, I noticed a smell in my apartment's entry area. Sure enough, the shoes I used to walk in this park have some dog shit smeared on their bottom. Why don't people pick up? I was already on edge walking, paying as much attention as I can, but some places have long grass. Is that an excuse to not pick up? Just like snow is an excuse not to pick up?

I'm sick and tired of the dog owners of this town who abuse the relative freedom/anonymity/space that JC offers.

Grrr.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

megan2681 wrote:
I never thought much of Morris Canal Park before I had a kid. Now I see it as a much needed, nearby and grassy retreat for my ever curious toddler. I do, however, find myself grossed out by poop and pee and scared by dogs off their leash.

Let me note that I am absolutely a dog lover and realize that dogs need parks too. I think that dog owners must be equally frustrated by curious kids and having to leash their dog (those that do).

I could go to VVP, but the same argument could be made for the dogs. So my questions is - who is Morris Canal for? Dogs or kids? Does anyone want to see changes made (i.e. a dog run) so everyone can happily (and safely) use it?

Long after you have moved to the suburbs for the better and safer school systems the dogs will be there enjoying the park.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 5:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
I've even seen owners let their dogs jump on the high flowerbeds at Pier House and pee and poop on the flowers.

From WCBSTV:

Stephen Campanella is the park's landscape designer, and said many pet owners have no idea dog urine kills trees, flowers and grass

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/curb.your.dog.2.1645634.html

Posted on: 2010/4/21 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Quote:

phDog wrote:
well regardless of the time of day, i will not hesitate to kick your dog as a last resort to keep it away from either the fragile or dog aggressive dogs i sometimes walk. i will feel terrible for the dog and probably say something less than nice to you. just a heads up.

Shaking in my boots tough guy! If my dog walker brought my fragile/aggressive dog into an environment where they might be provoked, I would say they were incompetent and might be better served in a line of work with less thought required...just a heads up.

said dogs have just as much right to enjoy the outdoors as any other dog. they obviously shouldn't go to a dog park, but morris canal park isn't a dog park...just a park where people think it's ok to break the law!

Posted on: 2010/4/20 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
4:19-16. Liability of owner regardless of viciousness of dog
The owner of any dog which shall bite a person while such person is on or in a public place, or lawfully on or in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, shall be liable for such damages as may be suffered by the person bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of such dog or the owner's knowledge of such viciousness.

For the purpose of this section, a person is lawfully upon the private property of such owner when he is on the property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him by the laws of this state or the laws or postal regulations of the United States, or when he is on such property upon the invitation, express or implied, of the owner thereof.

4:19-19. Impoundment of dog
An animal control officer shall seize and impound a dog when the officer has reasonable cause to believe that the dog:

a. attacked a person and caused death or serious bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(b) to that person;

b. caused bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(a) to a person during an unprovoked attack and poses a serious threat of harm to persons or domestic animals;

c. engaged in dog fighting activities as described in R.S.4:22-24 and R.S.4:22-26; or

d. has been trained, tormented, badgered, baited or encouraged to engage in unprovoked attacks upon persons or domestic animals.

The dog shall be impounded until the final disposition as to whether the dog is vicious or potentially dangerous. Subject to the approval of the municipal health officer, the dog may be impounded in a facility or other structure agreeable to the owner.

4:19-22. Dog declared vicious by municipal court; conditions
6. a. The municipal court shall declare the dog vicious if it finds by clear and convincing evidence that the dog:

(1) killed a person or caused serious bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(b) to a person; or

(2) has engaged in dog fighting activities as described in R.S.4:22-24 and R.S.4:22-26.

b. A dog shall not be declared vicious for inflicting death or serious bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(b) upon a person if the dog was provoked. The municipality shall bear the burden of proof to demonstrate that the dog was not provoked.

c. If the municipal court declares a dog to be vicious, and no appeal is made of this ruling pursuant to section 9 of P.L.1989, c.307 (C.4:19-25), the dog shall be destroyed in a humane and expeditious manner, except that no dog may be destroyed during the pendency of an appeal.

Good luck with all that.

these are laws regarding bite cases. most of the dogs may be "friendly" at this park, and though i walk dogs that are "friendly" often to this park to relax and sit with me by the water, i don't encourage my dogs running up to people at random. in fact, i don't even encourage people approaching me or the dogs. it's just a matter of respect of not only people but the laws that were put in place.

the sign at the entrance of the park says all pets must be leashed and owners are responsible for disposing of waste. i'll take a photo of it tomorrow if i can. either way, the rules are posted clearly. if people do not follow them, they are at risk of getting a fine.

after talking to a jersey city animal control officer, i was told the animal control ticket for an off leash dog is around $170 and requires a court appearance.

is that really worth risking not only your dogs safety, people's safety, but also the risk of potentially losing your dog and having it go to the shelter due to not obeying a simple and courteous rule?

Posted on: 2010/4/20 6:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
4:19-16. Liability of owner regardless of viciousness of dog
The owner of any dog which shall bite a person while such person is on or in a public place, or lawfully on or in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, shall be liable for such damages as may be suffered by the person bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of such dog or the owner's knowledge of such viciousness.

For the purpose of this section, a person is lawfully upon the private property of such owner when he is on the property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him by the laws of this state or the laws or postal regulations of the United States, or when he is on such property upon the invitation, express or implied, of the owner thereof.

4:19-19. Impoundment of dog
An animal control officer shall seize and impound a dog when the officer has reasonable cause to believe that the dog:

a. attacked a person and caused death or serious bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(b) to that person;

b. caused bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(a) to a person during an unprovoked attack and poses a serious threat of harm to persons or domestic animals;

c. engaged in dog fighting activities as described in R.S.4:22-24 and R.S.4:22-26; or

d. has been trained, tormented, badgered, baited or encouraged to engage in unprovoked attacks upon persons or domestic animals.

The dog shall be impounded until the final disposition as to whether the dog is vicious or potentially dangerous. Subject to the approval of the municipal health officer, the dog may be impounded in a facility or other structure agreeable to the owner.

4:19-22. Dog declared vicious by municipal court; conditions
6. a. The municipal court shall declare the dog vicious if it finds by clear and convincing evidence that the dog:

(1) killed a person or caused serious bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(b) to a person; or

(2) has engaged in dog fighting activities as described in R.S.4:22-24 and R.S.4:22-26.

b. A dog shall not be declared vicious for inflicting death or serious bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(b) upon a person if the dog was provoked. The municipality shall bear the burden of proof to demonstrate that the dog was not provoked.

c. If the municipal court declares a dog to be vicious, and no appeal is made of this ruling pursuant to section 9 of P.L.1989, c.307 (C.4:19-25), the dog shall be destroyed in a humane and expeditious manner, except that no dog may be destroyed during the pendency of an appeal.

Good luck with all that.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 0:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

phDog wrote:
well regardless of the time of day, i will not hesitate to kick your dog as a last resort to keep it away from either the fragile or dog aggressive dogs i sometimes walk. i will feel terrible for the dog and probably say something less than nice to you. just a heads up.

Shaking in my boots tough guy! If my dog walker brought my fragile/aggressive dog into an environment where they might be provoked, I would say they were incompetent and might be better served in a line of work with less thought required...just a heads up.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/19 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

woodstock1 wrote:
the bottom line is that people let their dogs off leash in MP all the time and JCPD does nothing about it (or LSP police, since technically it is their jurisdiction too.) So if no one is handing out tickets, what is to stop everyone form doing it... nothing.

today I was walking behind a guy who blatantly threw his hamburger wrapper on the sidewalk, ten feet away from a trash can. he didn't get a ticket, so I guess he's not a douchebag.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 20:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/25 3:38
Group:
Registered Users
everbody should ease off neanoora.

the bottom line is that people let their dogs off leash in MP all the time and JCPD does nothing about it (or LSP police, since technically it is their jurisdiction too.) So if no one is handing out tickets, what is to stop everyone form doing it... nothing.

That said, I reiterate again, that LSP should seriously consider adopting off leash dog hours throughout the entire park. It is an even compromise.

Additionally, as to neonoora's comment about the nice weather bringing more people out.... I feel they are right on as well. Simply put, there are a lot of lazy dog owners out there. And you never see these people out for more than a pee and poop with their dogs when it's raining, snowing, sleeting or below freezing out. We too take our dog out in all weather conditions to make sure he has enough exercise.

And on another note, to me the off leash dogs in MP are a lot less of an issue than the off leash dogs on the marina walkway in Paulus Hook. These people have A LOT of nerve. At least in the park most people try to keep the dogs towards the end of the park and away from where kids are playing. The park has some flexibility for off leash dogs to share space with kids, adults, etc. but the walkway is a busier environment and is not meant for dogs to be off leash. I guarantee you if some biker or rollerblader ran into to one of these off leash dogs on the walkway, the dog owner's would through a hissy fit.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Quote:

neanoora wrote:
Also, I find it extremely curious that now when the weather is nice, the park if full of dogs. What about in the middle of winter - don't those dogs need to run out then too? We certainly take our kid to outings regardless of the weather - he needs fresh air just like anyone else.

Really??? You find it curious why a park is busier when the weather is nice? I wouldn't know, as I dont frequent parks in the middle of winter. Based on your post one would assume that in the middle of winter the park is chock full of kids. I am a dog owner and I do let my dog run at Morris, it is a great place to do so. That said I only do so when the park is relatively empty early am or late afternoon.

Really!!! You only let your dog run when the park is "relatively empty early in the am or late afternoon" So your saying it's okay to break the law at those times, or that the people that are there at that time dont mind your dog?
There are so many things wrong with your statement but I'm just going to keep it simple and say that you are just palin 'ol WRONG!
There are leash laws in Jersey City early in the morning and later in the afternoon.

AMEN!

Posted on: 2010/4/19 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Quote:

neanoora wrote:
Also, I find it extremely curious that now when the weather is nice, the park if full of dogs. What about in the middle of winter - don't those dogs need to run out then too? We certainly take our kid to outings regardless of the weather - he needs fresh air just like anyone else.

Really??? You find it curious why a park is busier when the weather is nice? I wouldn't know, as I dont frequent parks in the middle of winter. Based on your post one would assume that in the middle of winter the park is chock full of kids. I am a dog owner and I do let my dog run at Morris, it is a great place to do so. That said I only do so when the park is relatively empty early am or late afternoon.

Really!!! You only let your dog run when the park is "relatively empty early in the am or late afternoon" So your saying it's okay to break the law at those times, or that the people that are there at that time dont mind your dog?
There are so many things wrong with your statement but I'm just going to keep it simple and say that you are just palin 'ol WRONG!
There are leash laws in Jersey City early in the morning and later in the afternoon.

ITA. The entitlement and lack of consideration of these dog owners simply amazes me. Like I said before, I know not all dog owners do this but there are many many people who let their dogs run wild, crapping and pissing everywhere.

There is a dog run in Van Vorst. Take your dog there.

I think we should all start calling the police when we see unleashed dogs here. I'm going to program the JC police number in my cell. I'm not even going to warn them ahead of time. Think about all the money JC can make if they just have a cop there writing out tickets.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 12:21

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017