Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Helicopters over the Hudson
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://youtu.be/yfiAPc2b1qw

A news helicopter crashed near the Space Needle in Seattle, Wash. on March 18, 2014.

Two people were killed and another injured this morning when a helicopter crashed in Seattle just feet away from the iconic Space Needle.

The helicopter was a news chopper owned by ABC News affiliate KOMO.

The chopper crashed moments after lift-off and quickly became engulfed in flames, killing two and sending a third victim to the hospital in critical condition, according to the Seattle Fire Department.

Two cars were also on fire when firefighters arrived to douse the flames.

Plumes of smoke quickly filled the skies near Space Needle shortly shortly the crash.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 15:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Affluent people visiting JC via helicopter tours is a wishful thinking. Either these tourists take the path train, do the tour and leave via path or they have a van to pick them up from the helipad back to their NYC hotel. Why do they come here? They can have a cheaper tour for $99 a person instead of NYC price of $159 plus.

They do not provide a single dollar to local business. Tour operator makes reservations via their 212 NY phone number and it is not clear NJ State even gets sales tax.

The tour operator already started to break the new hours only after 5 days.

Quote:

ahal wrote:
Congrats on your efforts to have these guys operate within their agreed upon hours. That's excellent!

But your last sentence seems a little disconcerting. Are you really looking to have the helipad decomm'd? That appears to be quite the overcorrection. I think reducing hours, reducing frequency are all fair game. But eliminating service is far from a sure net benefit. Things like this need to exist somewhere. The infrastructure is in place here. Businesses that may patronize the service are close by. It brings affluent out of towners who use it for heli tours into the community.
I guess my takeaway is that this doesn't need to be so binary. Something in the grey seems more logical and a decent win all around.

Quote:

JC_rider wrote:
We have made some progress about the operational hours at the Paulus Hook Helipad. The company that runs operations there was operating outside of the hours they agreed with their landlord. They used to fly out from there as late as 11:00PM on a Sundays.

We are told that new hours are 10am-7pm (M-F) and 11am-7pm (Sat-Sun) .

Please keep complaining to City Hall and hopefully we can shut it down for good.

Mayor's Office: Tel: (201) 547-5200
City Council Tel: (201) 547-5204

[/quote]

Posted on: 2013/10/13 22:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Congrats on your efforts to have these guys operate within their agreed upon hours. That's excellent!

But your last sentence seems a little disconcerting. Are you really looking to have the helipad decomm'd? That appears to be quite the overcorrection. I think reducing hours, reducing frequency are all fair game. But eliminating service is far from a sure net benefit. Things like this need to exist somewhere. The infrastructure is in place here. Businesses that may patronize the service are close by. It brings affluent out of towners who use it for heli tours into the community.
I guess my takeaway is that this doesn't need to be so binary. Something in the grey seems more logical and a decent win all around.

Quote:

JC_rider wrote:
We have made some progress about the operational hours at the Paulus Hook Helipad. The company that runs operations there was operating outside of the hours they agreed with their landlord. They used to fly out from there as late as 11:00PM on a Sundays.

Please keep complaining to City Hall and hopefully we can shut it down for good.

[/quote]

Posted on: 2013/10/10 13:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/5 21:40
Group:
Registered Users
great going!

Quote:

JC_rider wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/9 20:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/9 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
saw that too... the Osprey is really cool. HMX-1 (the President's Marine Corps squadron) is switching over to the V-22 for carrying the President and the support missions... look to see more of them coming to our area!

Posted on: 2013/9/23 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Samir wrote:
Quote:

heightsliving wrote:
The Marine Choppers are here for UNGA. United Nations General Assembly. Which starts this week. Prepare for more than usual heavy traffic if you drive into the city.
Interesting. Let's see what other type of aircraft will be in the sky this week.

Last month while out on the river an Apache gunship circled the Statue a couple of times. Was impressive, seemed like it's blades were longer and it's rotor speed is significantly slower than regular choppers. Pre 9/11 you'd rarely see military aircraft around here.

Maybe it's not shocking considering the creepy article in the Times today about drone proliferation. Especially creepy as I just finished Kill Decision, a novel about proliferation of autonomous drones.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 17:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/21 17:13
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heightsliving wrote:
The Marine Choppers are here for UNGA. United Nations General Assembly. Which starts this week. Prepare for more than usual heavy traffic if you drive into the city.
Interesting. Let's see what other type of aircraft will be in the sky this week.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 15:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/21 14:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Falcon wrote:
Resized Image
Very cool picture.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 14:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Saw something new over the Hudson today, a Marine V22 Osprey in heli mode flying in formation with several other chopper. Looked like something out of Avatar!
I saw that the other day too, but didn't realize they were a rarity here. I used to live in a city that had all sorts of black-ops helicopters hovering around and invisible military jets streaking high in the sky, so I didn't pay it much mind. I'll have to watch for this type of stuff more often.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 14:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/21 4:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Saw something new over the Hudson today, a Marine V22 Osprey in heli mode flying in formation with several other chopper. Looked like something out of Avatar!

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
there have been a lot more helicopters over the past few months. Until this summer, the helipad by Goldman Sachs was rarely used, but I see a regular stream of helicopters going there every day now. I can see how someone living there would be pretty annoyed with the recent increase.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 16:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
There are times when these helicopters fly so low, you can feel the vibrations....At all hours! Im all about business and I would not have an issue with it but they should be doing it at a responsible height with the least effect to the communities they fly over. I called Kearny Heliport several times to make a formal complaint with their Chief Aviation Officer and it did not get resolved. He said that some of these pilots fly low to give their passengers a good show for a better tip! and they divert from their pattern or altitude to save on fuel. He actually said that!!! He also said that there a quite a few helicopter companies at that location and tracking may be difficult. Bullshit... I called the FAA to complain. The guy says he is on it but there needs to be a stonger voice so it can be legislated for the to fly at a higher and safe altitude. I have plenty of video footage of these choppers buzzing so LOW! There is a facebook page on the JC helicopters. Also an online petition. http://www.change.org/petitions/stop- ... es-over-the-nj-gold-coast

Posted on: 2013/9/20 16:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been working on trying to reduce this helicopter noise for the past few months. Finally we are seeing some results. Operations at Paulus Hook are ending before 9:00PM vs 11:00PM even on a Sunday night few months ago.

The main reason why we have all this noise this year is that NYC Economic Development Corp which controls the tourist helicopter routes decided to create 2 tourist paths along the Hudson River without checking with NJ. They stopped all flights over East River, Manhattan and Central Park. Brooklyn Heights and Manhattan politicians forced and ban them over from their air space over to NJ side. Show these people that we are not going to accept their noise any longer!

Please call City hall and register your complaints. More people are involved quicker we can shutdown Paulus Hook to tourists which will eliminate 95% of night flights after 6:30PM Mon-Fri and after 5:00PM Sunday.

The only other tourist helipad is in downtown NYC and their hours of operation are Mon-Sat 9:00AM-6:30PM, Sundays 9:00-5:00PM.

Register your Complaints at this site:
www.flyneighborly.net/

This site is created by the helicopter industry lobby people but they are now forced by Senator Menendez and Congressman Sires to collect helicopter complaint data. More people the better because they do break down number of complaints per person.

You can complain to FAA here.
Aviation Noise Ombudsman

The FAA's Aviation Noise Ombudsman serves as a public liaison for issues about aircraft noise questions or complaints.

Contact information:
Federal Aviation Administration,
Aviation Noise Ombudsman, AEE-2
800 Independence Ave. S.W.
Washington, DC 20591
email: 9-AWA-NoiseOmbudsman@faa.gov

Contact the Senator and Congressman.

http://www.menendez.senate.gov/contact/
Ph: 202-224-4744

https://sires.house.gov/contact-me
Jersey City Office: Phone: 201-309-0301

Posted on: 2013/9/20 5:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Samir wrote:
I just recently moved to the area, and the activity is a big change from what I'm used to. But that's part of the city. I see all modes of transportation at all hours--trains, planes, cars, boats, helicopters, and even blimps. I guess our building must be quite well insulated as we don't really hear anything except during the boat races and if a helicopter is buzzing us.

City noise is just a characteristic of city life. If I ever get tired of the noise, I'll just move away.

Renting is nice.
It is. :)

I'll never buy a house anywhere. It's not always a great equity builder, and can hamper long-term plans in a big way. I couldn't have moved here if I had bought where I moved from--people are upside down about 10-20% there. :(

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Samir wrote:
I just recently moved to the area, and the activity is a big change from what I'm used to. But that's part of the city. I see all modes of transportation at all hours--trains, planes, cars, boats, helicopters, and even blimps. I guess our building must be quite well insulated as we don't really hear anything except during the boat races and if a helicopter is buzzing us.

City noise is just a characteristic of city life. If I ever get tired of the noise, I'll just move away.

Renting is nice.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:34
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_rider wrote:

I contacted the Heli operator and tried to change their hours to before 8:30 PM but I didn't get far. I was told by their office that they got a permission to operate until 11:00PM. Still to this date I am trying to find out from whom they got this permissions.

If you ever visit the waterfront you will experience how noisy these tourist helicopters are when they take off and land. From my window noise registers as high as 85 decibels from the heliport take offs vs. those on the air in high altitude which are about 65 decibels (using iphone app).

My main concern is night flights 7 days a week some even at 11:00PM from Paulus Hook Heliport. I have contacted the FAA, local officials from JC councilman, the Mayor, US Congressman Sires and this week finally some things are moving in the right direction.

I agree with others that if you are bothered by all this unnecessary noise from these copters then do something about it and get involved. Complaining on forums does not help fix it. Contact all local and Federal govt officials. Believe me if you do some of your homework and contact them with facts they are willing to help.

I am not stopping with JC officials and will be contacting Hoboken and Weehawken Mayor's offices who are also working to stop them. I also plan on attending Paulus Hook Association meetings for this issue.

And while you're at it contact your at-large council members get them to do a little work as well. They too can make some phone calls in the right area of complaint.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 13:19
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I moved to Paulus Hook few months ago and live very close to the Heliport that is directly in front of Goldman. I am not new to JC and lived in JSQ since 2004.

I worked in one of the office buildings right by the heliport from 2007-2011 and I agree with others that helicopter traffic which is mostly tour copters have increased big time recently.

Some people commented that tourist copters bring revenue to Hudson County. I highly doubt that because company that operates from PH heliport is NY based. Their website has 212 number for reservations. I did more digging and their night time client is also NY based. So we get all the noise but none of the $$$.

I contacted the Heli operator and tried to change their hours to before 8:30 PM but I didn't get far. I was told by their office that they got a permission to operate until 11:00PM. Still to this date I am trying to find out from whom they got this permissions.

If you ever visit the waterfront you will experience how noisy these tourist helicopters are when they take off and land. From my window noise registers as high as 85 decibels from the heliport take offs vs. those on the air in high altitude which are about 65 decibels (using iphone app).

My main concern is night flights 7 days a week some even at 11:00PM from Paulus Hook Heliport. I have contacted the FAA, local officials from JC councilman, the Mayor, US Congressman Sires and this week finally some things are moving in the right direction.

I agree with others that if you are bothered by all this unnecessary noise from these copters then do something about it and get involved. Complaining on forums does not help fix it. Contact all local and Federal govt officials. Believe me if you do some of your homework and contact them with facts they are willing to help.

I am not stopping with JC officials and will be contacting Hoboken and Weehawken Mayor's offices who are also working to stop them. I also plan on attending Paulus Hook Association meetings for this issue.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 4:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Since the helipad near the NY Waterway terminal @ Exchange Pl. has been very active, the fumes of idling helicopters + the ferry boats makes Owen Grundy Park stink to high heaven.

I used to bring my infant daughter to the gazebo area to run around at night, but had to stop this year as the stink is too overpowering. In the past, the ferry fumes were intermittent as the boats don't idle long, but the copters sometimes sit idling for 30 mins. at a time, and the fumes are constant.

It's a shame because the park is absolutely gorgeous when the sun is going down, it's prime public space.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Sightseeing helicopters should be banned. There is absolutely no good reason for them and they are a major disturbance for everybody along the water.

The people making money off the tourists in the helicopters can find a new income stream. It's not worth destroying the peace of everybody else.

Does anyone have a link to somewhere to complain to the FAA or our elected officials? Get Fulop on it?

Posted on: 2013/9/4 20:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
I thank you posters, too, for the useful info. I couldn't find an explanation of my shattered Wednesday peace anywhere else on the web.

And Geezer, that was soooo meta, you kvetching about how people on this list kvetch. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Posted on: 2013/9/4 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Ahab and Heights for the useful info. I was awakened this morning by the helicopter noise and it went on for so long that I got worried something had happened and got up and turned on the radio. Glad to be able to turn to JCList for the scoop.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that the tour and commuter helicopters level of traffic is bonkers. and it's crazy to think that brooklyn fought the traffic and got it pushed "out of" their air space. thankfully, for what it's worth, there are politicians over here that have now taken it up as a quality of life issue. I am fine with city noise, but it is crazy, on a weekend, trying to have a quiet walk along the river in hoboken or play in the park, and there is (literally) not more than five seconds of quiet... EVER. we timed it. oh well.

as for news copters. they simply can't pool their feed because each station is waiting (and hoping?) for a disaster nearby, or anywhere, that they can swoop off to and get the exclusive shots!

Posted on: 2013/9/4 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Back to the OP, I gotta say the tour helicopters over Liberty Island are kinda oppressive. When I'm in LSP or out kayaking they're a more or less continuous stream overhead spoiling an otherwise pleasant retreat from the city streets.

And why do the news agencies not pool on some traffic cams for the Holland approaches? It's gotta be TONS cheaper than the thousands of dollars an hour the helicopters take, and it's not like it's a mystery where the traffic is going to be.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 16:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 23:36
Group:
Registered Users
This board is really funny, I think it should be renamed
JC Complaint list, or Passive Aggressive list. Why is there so much whining?

Each and every topic gets off track really fast and most think they are a know it all.

This could otherwise be a productive message board.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
you don't understand how media affiliated operate, do you?

Jeez the Holland tunnel outbound is a nightmare and you're complaining about the helicopters.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Does it really take 4 helicopters to monitor one road? I wish those guys would at least work out some way to share camera feeds from a single chopper.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 12:37

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017