Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Cracks in Fulop facade as Jersey City council votes down City Hall revamp

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 23:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Althea is a smart woman who is also a very hard worker. I have no issues with this hire
Quote:

CRV2 wrote:
And Althea Bernheim, Steve Fulop's former council aid, has the experience and skills to run the RRC? Sounds like a patronage job to me.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Has anyone heard why on earth they would propose to put Cultural Affairs & Senior Services under the Resident Response Center?? I don't get that at all!

What functions did they provide? If all they did was handle street festival permits, and senior transport requests, it would make perfect sense.

The mission outlined in the transition plan was to expand Cultural affairs into a dept. handling Arts, Culture and Tourism and making it more of a true driver for promoting JC and spuring economic growth. Moving it to the RRC is big step away from this mission, it would seem.

And the people in the existing department had the skillset to fulfill that mission? Sometimes it's easier to create a new department, than give an impossible task to an old one.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I did not live in the Heights during that time, but I can tell you Councilman Fulop did perform many services for residents of Ward E. I do not think he was the only councilperson to do so. Sometimes the ward council people have complained at caucus meetings that no one calls on the at-large council people for these services. I have lived in Ward E for over 40 years and all the councilmen in different ways have responded to ward complaints during their tenure.

I've been ranting for years on the duties of at-large council members. I asked Viola Richardson twice (block meeting/book fair) what her duties are she gave me a general answer so the I asked her when I should call her her response when my local ward council rep does not solve the problem.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 12:02
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
HeightsBrat, an appropriate name, you have an anger problem. I was stating a fact. Regardless who the mayor is, seniors who live in senior buildings, (JC has a lot according to old data that I use to have, early 1990s) have been a safety net for mayors. That are exempted from raising water and sewerage taxes. This is the reason, people who are running for office try to get into senior buildings. I remember fights by different camps during past elections when political groups were denied access to senior buildings. If Fulop transfers services to the county, he in effect, would be cutting off potential votes in the future.

You're one of the reasons I don't attend council meetings any more. Obviously comprehension was not your forte TEACHER as quote "The number of seniors who live in these havens pales in comparison to those who live wondering how their are even going to buy their next meal." unquote. There are also many disabled living in these buildings. Aren't these buildings under the State? We all know that whoever is in office panders to the seniors because they vote. Why would Fulop be cutting off potential votes? There are more ways to get around that than a monthly movie, hot dogs & icecream.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
It is my understanding that all senior citizens and veterans get real estate tax relief on owner-occupied property. Does anyone know differently? I am not certain whether the state reimburses the city or the city just gives the reduction and spreads the difference across non-seniors and non-veterans.

If the seniors & veterans do not apply, they do not get the relief.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Perhaps you should use the ENTIRE quote by Kelleher back in 2011 - see bolded - rather than taking the first part out of context?? Also I was only asking about the logic of the latest proposed changes/move of the dept., not who should/shouldn't lead it.

QUOTE from Article above:
Kelleher reminded the council that the division does not create the demand for cultural events, it is the demand for cultural events that created the need for a department to organize them.

?Prior to consideration of this kind of merger, I implore the council to consider the ramifications to every single ethnic organization, arts organization, to every dancer, musician and block association,? she said. ?All these groups get the funding directly from us.?

She also said the ?merger does not make sense,? as the two departments have very different roles despite similar-sounding names. Hudson County Cultural Affairs department is in charge of disseminating grants, she said, not in charge of organizing events in Jersey City.

I did read the entirety of it, and it was even more incensed by it. ?All these groups get the funding directly from us."

Umm no. They get funding from us taxpayers, not Kelleher or her department. Funding the arts is one thing, but having a bunch of party-planners on the city payroll that duplicates county work is another. Fulop wisely looked at every single job and it's function within the city. If he thinks departments need merging, he has my support.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
It is my understanding that all senior citizens and veterans get real estate tax relief on owner-occupied property. Does anyone know differently? I am not certain whether the state reimburses the city or the city just gives the reduction and spreads the difference across non-seniors and non-veterans.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
HeightsBrat, an appropriate name, you have an anger problem. I was stating a fact. Regardless who the mayor is, seniors who live in senior buildings, (JC has a lot according to old data that I use to have, early 1990s) have been a safety net for mayors. That are exempted from raising water and sewerage taxes. This is the reason, people who are running for office try to get into senior buildings. I remember fights by different camps during past elections when political groups were denied access to senior buildings. If Fulop transfers services to the county, he in effect, would be cutting off potential votes in the future.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
We pay county taxes, the county also provides services for seniors. The only thing I am aware - JC provides entertainment for seniors. But I don't think that is the purpose of government. After all, many seniors live in tax abated senior buildings and they do no see raising water/tax rates, so entertaining them means the incumbent mayor has a vote. I still remember Bret Schundler had a senior citizen from a senior building make a radio commercial when he was running for governor; she said taxes are lowered under Schundler. The commercial was pulled when it was discovered the lady lived in a senior tax abated building.

Here we go. We can't get past Satan (Bret Schundler). Senior Services does a hair more than make sure the seniors get to a monthly movie. Vouchers, Id's, health info for them. Many seniors live in tax abated senior buildings? Try again. The number of seniors who live in these havens pales in comparison to those who live wondering how their are even going to buy their next meal. And the waiting list for senior buildings is YEARS. You apply when you are 62 & could be dead by the time something comes up. And about the commercial - like nobody else ever did that. But then again it was Satan who did this so that's all that matters.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 13:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Has anyone heard why on earth they would propose to put Cultural Affairs & Senior Services under the Resident Response Center?? I don't get that at all!

What functions did they provide? If all they did was handle street festival permits, and senior transport requests, it would make perfect sense.

The mission outlined in the transition plan was to expand Cultural affairs into a dept. handling Arts, Culture and Tourism and making it more of a true driver for promoting JC and spuring economic growth. Moving it to the RRC is big step away from this mission, it would seem.

I agree with the transition team to expand the Arts, Culture and Tourism. Yet transition teams only provide recommendations and the elected official may or may not choose to follow the recommendations.
I remember in 2011, Fulop unsuccessfully tried to have the "county take over the functions currently carried out by the city's Economic Development Corporation and Division of Cultural Affairs.
Both resolutions were sponsored by Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop, who argued that this city department was superfluous with services already being performed by the county."
http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index ... 30647843039101.xml&coll=3
I do not have all the info regarding the mayor's response center. So I don't know how the move would impact the department of cultural affairs. Is there a flow chart or organizational chart for the proposed changes?

Posted on: 2013/9/1 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

And the people in the existing department had the skillset to fulfill that mission? Sometimes it's easier to create a new department, than give an impossible task to an old one.

The proposal was to "move" the Cultural Affairs Dept. out of Health & Human Services and into the RRC (which still makes zero sense). It wasn't to create a new dept. The RRC is a complaint center, so it seems, meant to address concerns residents bring to them. The very natures of its name is "Response" as in "responding/reacting". Cultural Affairs and Senior Services (in most cases) are not matters something that are merely "responded" to. These are entities unto themselves that require plans, and people who know how to carry them out with a vision. Moving them there is going backwards, and definitely counter to the transition plan.

Was anyone at the council meeting? Was moving these 2 depts. and the reasoning behind this proposal discussed at all?

"Kelleher reminded the council that the division does not create the demand for cultural events, it is the demand for cultural events that created the need for a department to organize them."
Source: http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... oration-soundly-defeated/

"The Division of Senior Affairs provides information and assistance to seniors, helping them to obtain services they need."
Source:
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hhs.aspx?id=1438

So you think that people with the skills to organize events and deliver food to seniors are the same people we need to drive "promoting JC and spuring economic growth"? I don't.

Perhaps you should use the ENTIRE quote by Kelleher back in 2011 - see bolded - rather than taking the first part out of context?? Also I was only asking about the logic of the latest proposed changes/move of the dept., not who should/shouldn't lead it.

QUOTE from Article above:
Kelleher reminded the council that the division does not create the demand for cultural events, it is the demand for cultural events that created the need for a department to organize them.

?Prior to consideration of this kind of merger, I implore the council to consider the ramifications to every single ethnic organization, arts organization, to every dancer, musician and block association,? she said. ?All these groups get the funding directly from us.?

She also said the ?merger does not make sense,? as the two departments have very different roles despite similar-sounding names. Hudson County Cultural Affairs department is in charge of disseminating grants, she said, not in charge of organizing events in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We pay county taxes, the county also provides services for seniors. The only thing I am aware - JC provides entertainment for seniors. But I don't think that is the purpose of government. After all, many seniors live in tax abated senior buildings and they do no see raising water/tax rates, so entertaining them means the incumbent mayor has a vote. I still remember Bret Schundler had a senior citizen from a senior building make a radio commercial when he was running for governor; she said taxes are lowered under Schundler. The commercial was pulled when it was discovered the lady lived in a senior tax abated building.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

The proposal was to "move" the Cultural Affairs Dept. out of Health & Human Services and into the RRC (which still makes zero sense). It wasn't to create a new dept. The RRC is a complaint center, so it seems, meant to address concerns residents bring to them. The very natures of its name is "Response" as in "responding/reacting". Cultural Affairs and Senior Services (in most cases) are not matters something that are merely "responded" to. These are entities unto themselves that require plans, and people who know how to carry them out with a vision. Moving them there is going backwards, and definitely counter to the transition plan.

Was anyone at the council meeting? Was moving these 2 depts. and the reasoning behind this proposal discussed at all?

"Kelleher reminded the council that the division does not create the demand for cultural events, it is the demand for cultural events that created the need for a department to organize them."
Source: http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... oration-soundly-defeated/

"The Division of Senior Affairs provides information and assistance to seniors, helping them to obtain services they need."
Source:
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hhs.aspx?id=1438

So you think that people with the skills to organize events and deliver food to seniors are the same people we need to drive "promoting JC and spuring economic growth"? I don't.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/1 0:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/3 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
And Althea Bernheim, Steve Fulop's former council aid, has the experience and skills to run the RRC? Sounds like a patronage job to me.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/31 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I did not live in the Heights during that time, but I can tell you Councilman Fulop did perform many services for residents of Ward E. I do not think he was the only councilperson to do so. Sometimes the ward council people have complained at caucus meetings that no one calls on the at-large council people for these services. I have lived in Ward E for over 40 years and all the councilmen in different ways have responded to ward complaints during their tenure.

Posted on: 2013/8/31 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People here are forgetting that Councilman Fulop did take care of problems in Ward E. Ward E residents did not call the Mayor Action Bureau. It has been tradition for each councilperson to handle these problems. By the way, Fulop did an excellent job responding to those problems.

It has not been tradition. Bill Gaughan did NOTHING. I am still waiting for him to respond to an email I sent him about a situation. It's been 2 years. Mike Sottolano was notorious for doing nothing. Kalimeh Ahmed, Michelle Massey, Ray Velazquez, Mariano Vega? HAHAHAHA! Of course we know you would give no credit to a department started by your personal Satan - Bret Schundler. And btw under Healy's MAB, they answered whomever they felt like. I gave a neighborhood issue to them in 2007. Still waiting for the follow-up. (PS - I resolved the situation myself.)

Posted on: 2013/8/31 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
People here are forgetting that Councilman Fulop did take care of problems in Ward E. Ward E residents did not call the Mayor Action Bureau. It has been tradition for each councilperson to handle these problems. By the way, Fulop did an excellent job responding to those problems.

Posted on: 2013/8/31 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
@HeightsBrat--I agree with your comments, and have already gone to the RRC for a couple of issues that were resolved. Previous administration had a retired-in-place councilman, so we went to Lavarro for help.

And lets hope the councilpeople will now work on the bigger picture of improving the City and leave the RRC to the fixing stuff, making sure it continues to be effective.

Posted on: 2013/8/31 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on August 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM, updated August 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM

A sweeping overhaul of Jersey City?s municipal government, a top priority of Mayor Steve Fulop, went down in flames tonight after three Fulop allies on the City Council jumped ship and voted against the measure.

The vote came after a 30-minute public hearing that found members of the audience booing any council members who voiced approval of the ordinance, which would have combined the police and fire departments, expanded the constituent-service division and paved the way for a merger of the public-works department and the autonomous Jersey City Incinerator Authority.

Tonight?s action is the first time any of Fulop?s council allies have stood in the way of one of his objectives since the mayor took office almost two months ago. It also seemed to stun top city officials in the Fulop administration, who spent 10 minutes following the vote trying to figure out how to proceed.

The measure failed 4-5, with council members Rich Boggiano, Khemraj ?Chico? Ramchal, Daniel Rivera, Joyce Watterman and Michael Yun voting against. Ramchal, Rivera and Watterman ran on Fulop?s ticket in May?s municipal election.

Fulop could not immediately be reached to comment.

Boggiano called the measure was too expansive. Ramchal said he believes the proposed changes to the DPW would lead to unnecessary job losses at the JCIA. Rivera said he has questions about the measure, but declined to specify what his questions are.

Council members Diane Coleman, Frank Gajewski, Rolando Lavarro and Candice Osborne voted in favor. Coleman, who represents Ward F, said she thinks the measure would have made managing city government ?easier and better.?

Full story at the Jersey Journal.

Something stinks here, not just the terrible writing. Who writes a new article that's not an Op-Ed piece with "down in flames" and "jump ship"? Someone didn't go to journalism school...

Posted on: 2013/8/31 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pamrapo wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The council people who voted "No" did not want to give up handling the complaints from their ward. They were against the new expansion of the Mayor's Action Bureau. I forget the new title. I am sure it will return once the ordinance is broken down into several parts.

This is a ridiculous argument.

Some councilmembers seem to think they're doing their job by simply making a phone call that the resident could make themselves if only the city had a functional website and knowledgeable callcenter. Whether you call it the Resident Response Center, Mayor's Action Bureau, or 311, Jersey City needs that way more than we need councilpeople who see their main job as getting credit for getting the city to do what it should. Most resident requests should not require the intervention of a councilmember.

Any councilmember who wants to earn their pay - or reelection - needs to be functioning at a higher level.

You are on point Pamrapo. The RRC's primary function is to address the day to day questions & issues of constituents. Councilpeople should only be involved in those issues that may impact their whole ward. It is laudible that our new council wants to be hands on but they will find themselves overwhelmed doing so. At best they should be taking the complaint/concern & handing it over to the RRC. The previous administration changed those dynamics by staffing the then MAB with family members of donors & friends & we wound up with a disenfranchised constituency as most council members either totally ingored the complaints or only addressed those of administration friendly people (like mine did). The new administration seeks to restore the RRC to its original intent. Councilpeople who want to be higher profiled should attend either their ward's Captain's meeting or pop in on the block association meetings.

Posted on: 2013/8/31 10:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The council people who voted "No" did not want to give up handling the complaints from their ward. They were against the new expansion of the Mayor's Action Bureau. I forget the new title. I am sure it will return once the ordinance is broken down into several parts.

This is a ridiculous argument.

Some councilmembers seem to think they're doing their job by simply making a phone call that the resident could make themselves if only the city had a functional website and knowledgeable callcenter. Whether you call it the Resident Response Center, Mayor's Action Bureau, or 311, Jersey City needs that way more than we need councilpeople who see their main job as getting credit for getting the city to do what it should. Most resident requests should not require the intervention of a councilmember.

Any councilmember who wants to earn their pay - or reelection - needs to be functioning at a higher level.

Posted on: 2013/8/31 5:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/31 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

+5

Posted on: 2013/8/31 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/30 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/30 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I guess who ever was guiding Fulop during his campaign has vacated the premises. Now our young mayor is left to think on his own.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 17:43
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/30 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree - the only thing unnecessary are some of these jobs... The items will be broken up and I would gamble most/all will go through...

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Ramchal said he believes the proposed changes to the DPW would lead to unnecessary job losses at the JCIA.

That's very generous of him to fund a make-work jobs program with other people's money. Did Mrs. Cunningham promise a family member a job? So much for Steve's coalition building, back to business as usual.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A good deal of our tax dollars are also spent on contracts both bidding and non-bidding. Another way to cut the budget is to cut those contracts, but the council agenda states otherwise.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Should have split it into separate measures, it was a bad idea bundling all of them together, because an objection to a single item makes the whole thing fail.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:48

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017