Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 3 shot at Newport - Pavonia PATH station
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Most people don't want what you want.

I didn't know you had the general consensus of the populace. Many people I know would disagree with you, but I would never make the assumption of MOST, as you have!
I accept that SOME people would disagree with my opinion as I also accept that SOME people would agree.

That's why we debate opinions, solutions and ideas on JClist.

PS - When I fart it does smell!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 0:06
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
It would seem that whatever police or law enforcement bodies try to do to mitigate crime, civil libertarians and criminals want to use the constitution or civil rights ?card? to stop that solution or process.

I often believe that the most vocal opponents to law and order solutions (CCTV, Alcohol and Drug detection devices, Speed and traffic devices, stop and frisk (with conditions) etc.) is the legal fraternity. Lawyers and Attorneys can?t argue and generate huge fees when you?re caught ?red handed? in open Court.

Even some JClisters would rather see anarchy before any inconvenience to their civil rights or constitution, yet will complain immediately when a crime is committed that affects them or the community. Unfortunately you can?t have it both ways and criminals or acts of criminality don?t play by the same rules as the rest of society.

Now imagine a portable hand-held lie detector device that had a proven success of 99% for things to be taken further! Now imagine you were required to answer a few questions on a crime or breaches of ordinance ? say you fail to clean after your dog? You say ?no?, but a witness says ?yes? and the witness is also subject to the device and returns a positive response to their answer. Imagine how quickly things could be resolved, yet people will still refuse to be subject to the device to avoid accountability.

This said I also believe it should be mandatory that all and every law enforcement personnel be required to take their annual leave allotments EVERY year to help them cope with stress and reduce any negativity that is associated with the daily grind of dealing with the public.
Law enforcement personnel are given MORE leave entitlements then the norm and must be forced to use them annually or they should be forfeited if they don?t ? It?s in the best interest of mental health for the officers and society gets a better well ? balanced officer providing the service.

I stopped reading after your third paragraph. If you don't like our constitutional rights in this country because they don't fit into your dream of a police-state utopia, then that's really YOUR inconvenience. Most people don't want what you want.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It would seem that whatever police or law enforcement bodies try to do to mitigate crime, civil libertarians and criminals want to use the constitution or civil rights ?card? to stop that solution or process.

I often believe that the most vocal opponents to law and order solutions (CCTV, Alcohol and Drug detection devices, Speed and traffic devices, stop and frisk (with conditions) etc.) is the legal fraternity. Lawyers and Attorneys can?t argue and generate huge fees when you?re caught ?red handed? in open Court.

Even some JClisters would rather see anarchy before any inconvenience to their civil rights or constitution, yet will complain immediately when a crime is committed that affects them or the community. Unfortunately you can?t have it both ways and criminals or acts of criminality don?t play by the same rules as the rest of society.

Now imagine a portable hand-held lie detector device that had a proven success of 99% for things to be taken further! Now imagine you were required to answer a few questions on a crime or breaches of ordinance ? say you fail to clean after your dog? You say ?no?, but a witness says ?yes? and the witness is also subject to the device and returns a positive response to their answer. Imagine how quickly things could be resolved, yet people will still refuse to be subject to the device to avoid accountability.

This said I also believe it should be mandatory that all and every law enforcement personnel be required to take their annual leave allotments EVERY year to help them cope with stress and reduce any negativity that is associated with the daily grind of dealing with the public.
Law enforcement personnel are given MORE leave entitlements then the norm and must be forced to use them annually or they should be forfeited if they don?t ? It?s in the best interest of mental health for the officers and society gets a better well ? balanced officer providing the service.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 23:07
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: 3 shot at Pavonia PATH station: report By Margaret Schmidt/The Jersey Journal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
I was on the this train, when this happened. I admit it was scary....especially the panick that ensued. Yet, I would still say dog poo is my biggest problem, over violence in my neighborhood (DTJC)

A+ Response!

Indeed!

Posted on: 2013/8/26 22:28

Re: 3 shot at Pavonia PATH station: report By Margaret Schmidt/The Jersey Journal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
We fight what's relevant to our surroundings. Luckily, DTJC rarely has to deal with this kind of nonsense. But, the big secret is that we can...wait for it...multitask!

Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
I was on the this train, when this happened. I admit it was scary....especially the panick that ensued. Yet, I would still say dog poo is my biggest problem, over violence in my neighborhood (DTJC)

A+ Response!

Posted on: 2013/8/26 20:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

A+ Response!

Posted on: 2013/8/26 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
From the article:

"the gunman, who was accompanied by a woman and two small kids, accidentally shot himself in the leg"

I'm guessing the dude was drunk/high/both, given that he was initially leaning on another passenger while sleeping and managed to shoot himself in the leg. Very sad that there were kids possibly in his care at the time. 5:10 AM means they were probably out in the city till bars/clubs closed at 4 AM.

I take the PATH to Newark every day. There are lots of "interesting" characters. The #1 rule I have is Do Not Engage the Crazy. Anyone acting erratic or even just slightly off - do not make eye contact, do not talk to them. "Off" is anything from passed out to walking around acting jittery/cagey, to talking to themselves or punching the walls of the train. If they are really concerning, at the next stop get off and change cars. When you get to your stop, use the passenger assistance phone to call and report the person's behavior.

Taking these precautions has meant that my daily commute is nearly always hassle free.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
"Who pulls out a gun for something like this??

It's too bad the program overreached into abuse, particularly the illegal weed arrests for complying with "empty your pockets" requests.

Marijuana possession was decriminalized in NY over a decade ago. SNIP

Which is why I called them ILLEGAL weed arrests. Here's Ed Koch on it http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ed-koch ... d-the-mari_b_1626941.html

That's typical of most police to use loop holes and intimidation tactics to arrest citizens. The industrial prison complex is huge business, and it doesn't matter whether you're black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or any other ethnicity. Everyone is game. The sooner people figure that out the better. Know your rights! Police don't like lawsuits, and I hope everyone who was unjustly arrested files a massive class action lawsuit for the trampling of their 4th amendment rights, including the expungement of their arrest.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

It's too bad the program overreached into abuse, particularly the illegal weed arrests for complying with "empty your pockets" requests.

Marijuana possession was decriminalized in NY over a decade ago. SNIP

Which is why I called them ILLEGAL weed arrests. Here's Ed Koch on it http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ed-koch ... d-the-mari_b_1626941.html

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Actually this precisely the situation when stop & frisk would work. If this guy was stopped and frisked wherever he boarded we wouldn't be talking about this.

In what world is it remotely acceptable for someone to be packing heat on a train? At that time how many people were inebriated?

And this isn't the first time that people from outside JC altogether are bringing their thuggery in. How about the robbery outside Avalon last year by kids from the Bronx?

Where is the PA? At home cashing their fat pensions? For all they are paid and the easy target that is the PATH, why not have real security?

It's not metal detectors...it's looking for people that are up to no good...

Posted on: 2013/8/26 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Marijuana possession was decriminalized in NY over a decade ago. You can possess up to an ounce of weed on your person and it isn't even a misdemeanor. It's a civil citation with a maximum fine of $100 for a first time offense, and the fine increases with subsequent citations. That is, unless you have an ounce on your person with multiple bags, bagged up with the intent to distribute. Also, it should be noted that although possession is a civil citation, burning in public is an arrestible offense in NY. NJ on the other hand will book you for possession of even paraphernalia with resin in a pipe.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

This is the central horror of this story that people are ignoring as they get on their high horses about S&F etc. We mostly view ourselves as empathetic modern educated people, and can't even begin to get around the mindset of someone who will pull a gun on a train and shoot a person over an accidental physical slight. That our society produces people like this is the story.

We can tell ourselves that the only thing unusual about this shooting is that it took place on "our turf", instead of some inner city street where it would be just business as usual. That is a little comforting, but the next time I accidentally scuff the brilliant white sneaker of some kid on a crowded train, I'll be thinking about this story.

As for S&F being a failure because it nabs so few guns, I recall stories at the time of it's implementation (along with aggressive pursuit of turnstile jumpers) that the usual suspects became far less likely to be carrying in public than they were beforehand. It's too bad the program overreached into abuse, particularly the illegal weed arrests for complying with "empty your pockets" requests.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Tari Turpin, 34, of East Orange

Heading back to Newark -- late on Saturday night (Sunday Morning)
he was passed out on train.

I know I would have avoided this loser and his girlfriend from the word go -- and once he flashed a gun and luckily "calmed down" and "put it away" -- who would be dumb enough to ask this loser: ?Who pulls out a gun for something like this??

Quote:
The man drew a gun, and then briefly calmed down when Drummer?s brother intervened, according to the interview Drummer gave the news station.

But when her brother remarked, ?Who pulls out a gun for something like this?? Turpin got livid, and started firing, Drummer said.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
But this all depends on what success criteria you assign. You keep pointing to the 0.2% number, but that's about 180 guns that were taken. 180 guns that would otherwise be in circulation, no?

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Playing Devil's advocate here. What harm does Stop and Frisk cause?

Leaving aside all racial issues:

? It doesn't work. On that basis alone, it should be stopped.

? 85% or more of those frisked were completely innocent.

? The S&F program finds almost no weapons (0.2%). And that's in high crime areas.

? Most of the arrests were misdemeanor pot arrests, which technically shouldn't have happened (long story).

? It alienates the police from the residents.

? It is a poor use of those officers, who could be doing something more beneficial.

? I for one have no interest in living in a police state. I don't want to be felt up by a PATH police officer who thinks that my putting away my cell phone qualifies as a "furtive movement."

Posted on: 2013/8/26 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/26 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Leaving aside all racial issues:

? It doesn't work. On that basis alone, it should be stopped.

? 85% or more of those frisked were completely innocent.

? The S&F program finds almost no weapons (0.2%). And that's in high crime areas.

? Most of the arrests were misdemeanor pot arrests, which technically shouldn't have happened (long story).

? It alienates the police from the residents.

? It is a poor use of those officers, who could be doing something more beneficial.

? I for one have no interest in living in a police state. I don't want to be felt up by a PATH police officer who thinks that my putting away my cell phone qualifies as a "furtive movement."

Posted on: 2013/8/26 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I checked this thread figuring it would have devolved into an argument about something else by now. I see we've moved on from gun control to stop and frisk. Not too long before we hit on off leash dogs and what supermarkets we'd like to see in JC.

Regardless, for those claiming S&F is not race based, I recommend reading this article. Even if you don't believe the guy it puts the implementation of S&F in a little more context.

http://nymag.com/news/features/pedro-serrano-2013-5/

Posted on: 2013/8/26 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Monroe makes a good point RE: Obama. But still, I haven't seen anything substantial in response to my question, taking race out of the equation.

Race and persistent poverty which spans generations can't be separated in this country due to our country's history.

But let's pretend that we could remove race. In this case I dont think stop and frisk would survive because the first time the policy was implemented on a race-blind basis there would be a nationwide outcry.

Imagine that someone gets shot in a wealthy suburb. The police decides to randomly stop, question and frisk people in that wealthy suburb without using race to determine who to stop. Imagine the reaction.

Result: Stop, question and frisk is history.

Stop and frisk is race based only in the manner that when a crime is committed with a description of the perp, police look for someone fitting that description.

The police aren't creating the descriptions, the crime victim/bystander is reporting the race of the perp.

The end of stop and frisk means the increase of violence to minorities will begin. It won't be an issue in Scarsdale and Old Brookville, but it will in Bushwick and Harlem. What a legacy for those who oppose it-you own it now.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Monroe makes a good point RE: Obama. But still, I haven't seen anything substantial in response to my question, taking race out of the equation.

Race and persistent poverty which spans generations can't be separated in this country due to our country's history.

But let's pretend that we could remove race. In this case I dont think stop and frisk would survive because the first time the policy was implemented on a race-blind basis there would be a nationwide outcry.

Imagine that someone gets shot in a wealthy suburb. The police decides to randomly stop, question and frisk people in that wealthy suburb without using race to determine who to stop. Imagine the reaction.

Result: Stop, question and frisk is history.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
5:30 AM ???? Like my great great great grandfather used to tell me, nothing good happens after 5:20 AM !

Posted on: 2013/8/26 14:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
When all this new development gets built in DTJC and Newark I kind of expect to see something like this happen every week.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Take race out of it for one second, if that's even possible for you guys.

More specifically, in an area that is rife with gun crimes (not just violent crimes, gun crimes), what are the palpable negative consequences of stop and frisk?

What is the problem with just entering someone's home? I mean, maybe we should just have a cop randomly show up at people's houses at all times to make sure people aren't committing crimes.

We already have that, Obama is reading your emails and texts and listening to your phone calls, no?

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

More specifically, in an area that is rife with gun crimes (not just violent crimes, gun crimes), what are the palpable negative consequences of stop and frisk?

What is the problem with just entering someone's home? I mean, maybe we should just have a cop randomly show up at people's houses at all times to make sure people aren't committing crimes.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

If you could take race out of it, perhaps you could claim it was reasonable. But since it seems to target people of specific colors, there's already a problem unless you aren't of those colors. Then there's the potential violations of the Bill of Rights. And BTW, I'm not one who is likely to be stopped and frisked, but I still think it's just plain wrong.

If a crime is committed, and the perp is identified as any certain race, it's not racial profiling to stop someone fitting the description within reason. It's only 'targeting' people that match the description provided by victims and/or bystanders.

But again, the people who will suffer from any sizeable reduction of stop and frisk will be law abiding minorities in their own neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

If you could take race out of it, perhaps you could claim it was reasonable. But since it seems to target people of specific colors, there's already a problem unless you aren't of those colors. Then there's the potential violations of the Bill of Rights. And BTW, I'm not one who is likely to be stopped and frisked, but I still think it's just plain wrong.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Great chart-looks like violent crime has dropped about 25 percent since stop and frisk started!

Crime was falling steadily for 12 years before S&F started.

Crime rates are also falling in many other cities, which don't have a S&F policy.

Quote:
Mandatory sentences for, say, illegal gun possession is a great tool-it puts the criminals behind bars, unable to shoot innocent victims.

New York State has a mandatory minimum of 3.5 years for illegal possession of a firearm; NJ is 3-5 years. For aggravated assault, it's probably another 5 years.

The man who has been charged (Turpin) is almost certainly looking at jail time, and it didn't deter him from opening fire on a train.

And again, crime is already very low on the various commuter trains in the area. We don't need to turn the trains into miniature police states because of one unfortunate shooting.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnjres wrote:
Also, the conductors are nowhere to be found. They like to ride up front with the driver and operate the doors from there. I guess this keeps them from getting shot.

It lets them see whether the doors are clear. Because, y'know, that's their job.

Conductors are not police officers. How is an unarmed and untrained train conductor supposed to stop a gunfight?

It's also quite clear that these types of incidents are thankfully rare. We don't need to put metal detectors at PATH train entrances because of one unfortunate and violent incident.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Gee, have you not seen the murder rate drop in NYC over the years of stop and frisk?

Resized Image
Try again

Quote:

Seagull wrote:
and yet we have two individuals, whom neither had a carry permit, and most likely had stolen guns. Monroe was right, LONG mandatory sentences are the answer. We'll see if a mandatory 25 years will cut down on brazen crap like this.

Interesting assumptions. It's probably safe to assume that the Turpin fellow who apparently had a forgery charge on him didn't have a permit, however there are countless guns here in NJ alone that are simply transported illegally into the state - they're not stolen. How do we know the other person didn't have a permit/legal gun? Neither news report I've seen has said anything either way, and the ABC report said that no one else has been charged yet.

Also it's been shown, especially with the War on Drugs, that mandatory sentences don't do a damn thing to actually stop the crime - it just tends to punish people who shouldn't be punished.

We don't know whether this person had a permit, but it's highly unlikely. NJ doesn't just issue ID cards. It's a long process that includes FBI background checks, mandatory fingerprinting, and submitting at least three non-family references who will vouch for you. If any of your references have been arrested before, your chances of getting your federal ID card is slim to none. Considering this guy thinks he can carry in a non-carry state proves to me that he never had a permit. Why register a gun that you're going to illegally carry? He would never have gone through the proper channels. You can say I'm assuming, but I would say I'm deducing the facts.

I also think the War on Drugs is a lost cause, and I agree that mandatory minimum sentencing for drug users won't deter drug use. However, this isn't the War on Drugs, this is the war on illegal guns and their owners. What realistic suggestions do you have to end gun violence? I think closing the gun show loop holes would be a great start.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 2:07

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017