Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Public Service Announcement - Raccoons
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCYC wrote:
Ps: I'm thinking of proposing a skunk/raccoon hybrid to be Jersey City's mascot.

Maybe something like this?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the photo! what a sight!
Quote:

JCYC wrote:
The photo is crap, but I didn't like the way the raccoon was looking at me.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 18:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/20 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke with Animal Control the night that I discovered the open-air menagerie and they were more than willing to come over and collect the raccoon, but unfortunately the animals were gone by the time the guy had wrapped up his other call. FYI: they will dispatch someone 24 hours a day. Just call the non-emergency number and someone will get back to you.

Agreed that some of the animals are service-y (much as I dislike stray cats I'm guessing that they keep the vermin population down), but the raccoons will be nothing but trouble.

Ps: I'm thinking of proposing a skunk/raccoon hybrid to be Jersey City's mascot.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
One night I heard this continuous, extremely loud hissing in my backyard, so loud I could hear it through much of my condo, and thought it was cats fighting, and thought, damn, those cats are really loud. I walked outside to try and shoo them away but upon a slightly closer look, I realized it was raccoons mating. Let me tell you, outside of what you hear in a natural disaster perhaps, raccoon mating has to produce one of the loudest sounds that Mother Nature is capable of making and seeing it happen is something I won't easily forget. And what a sight it was to see - despite this being a sexual act, the raccoons don't look like they're enjoying themselves and there was an awful lot of blood.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Just be careful. Also know that Animal Control will not pick up the raccoons, skunks & possums till after August. State law prohibits their relocation because they may have young.

There is no law that prohibits the capture and removal of wildlife during breeding seasons. What the law states is: "Before relocating any adult wildlife during the spring and summer, a search for their newborns should be conducted. If found, these young must be relocated with the adults."

The State of New Jersey requires all municipalities to provide Animal Control Services and under this requirement "Response to and capture of nuisance wildlife (i.e., healthy appearing raccoons in garbage or on property not threatening humans, squirrels in attics, etc.) is NOT a required service under statute for municipal animal control to provide."

Jersey City Animal Control has been very helpful to residents to provide assistance (when possible) for those who have nests on their property. Animal Control will respond to any wildlife in a persons living quarters.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 23:55

Edited by r_pinkowitz on 2013/8/24 0:23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Raccoons & skunks as well as hawks & opossums are nothing new in the Heights. Had a possum in my shed about 2 years ago, 4 young raccoons in a tree in the yard earlier this year. The hawks are a regular during the colder months when hunting isn't so good in Secaucus.

Just be careful. Also know that Animal Control will not pick up the raccoons, skunks & possums till after August. State law prohibits their relocation because they may have young.

Possums are actually pretty handy to have around. They eat garden pests, and a big one can keep feral cats at bay. Plus, they're genetically somewhat resistant to rabies (not 100%, so no fondling.) Saw an adolescent possum recently, just chilling on a low branch near Grace Church, and hope nobody's been hassling the little guy.

Team Possum!

Posted on: 2013/8/23 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Raccoons & skunks as well as hawks & opossums are nothing new in the Heights. Had a possum in my shed about 2 years ago, 4 young raccoons in a tree in the yard earlier this year. The hawks are a regular during the colder months when hunting isn't so good in Secaucus.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 22:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JCYC wrote: The photo is crap, but I didn't like the way the raccoon was looking at me. JCMascot
LOLs. As if it isn't bad enough feeding stray cats. Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/23 17:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The photo is crap, but I didn't like the way the raccoon was looking at me. JCMascot

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
for a time there was a skunk around 2nd and Jersey who gave zero f*cks. walked the dog within inches of him before I noticed he was there. he just ambled away. haven't seen him for awhile, which kind of bums me out.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting thread, indeed. I heard from two neighbors about raccoon sightings IN our building. Our open layout must be alluring to them, as it also affords some shelter and places to hide/nest. But, yes, it seems like more and more raccoons may be popping up in JC. We live across from LSP, and I always assume that they find this area to be fertile ground to breed and live.

Add to the raccoon sightings, my own personal sightings of many more wild rabbits in LSP. At this point, it is actually something I look forward to as I go for my morning runs. They are very skittish, and hop away into the fenced area as they hear me approach.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/1 15:38
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hard to believe that this is a topic on this thread, but I walked out of my house in the Heights the other morning and lo and behold, what do I see?
A raccoon sitting on my stoop. He quietly meandered away and climbed up a tree. Throw in the odd skunk that seems to be popping up with more frequency, and a small animal reserve seems to be forming in our lovely city....most strange.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I watched something similar on PBS and their intelligence is indeed a bit disconcerting. The fact that I found raccoon poop in one of my planters recently is pushing me to act quickly.

FYI: Raccoon poop is highly hazardous to human health.

Also, how do I post a photo?

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
oh, i want to see this photo!

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCYC wrote:
Just a reminder to all: Please do not leave any food outside for the stray cats. Last night I walked past a cat, two skunks and a raccoon all sharing a bowl of food. Happy for their camaraderie; less excited about the implications of their bold presence.

If I can figure out how to add an image to this message I will share a photo of their new-found friendship with everyone.

And yes, I will be speaking with my neighbors about removing the buffet.

Good luck. There's a documentary on Netflix about how adaptable raccoons are.

They're probably smarter than 75% of the general population.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:37

Public Service Announcement - Raccoons
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just a reminder to all: Please do not leave any food outside for the stray cats. Last night I walked past a cat, two skunks and a raccoon all sharing a bowl of food. Happy for their camaraderie; less excited about the implications of their bold presence.

If I can figure out how to add an image to this message I will share a photo of their new-found friendship with everyone.

And yes, I will be speaking with my neighbors about removing the buffet.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017