Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Boy hit by car at Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:
From my experience of trying to get a STOP sign installed, JC Traffic will only put in a STOP sign if they are forced to by state law. They put their 'car counting hose' across the the street and if it doesn't break the magic number? no STOP sign. We had a petition with over 100 signatures from just 2 blocks of 8th street, photographs of many smashed cars and the support of Steve Fulop. All we got were NO PARKING signs that are not being enforced.

In my opinion the BIG problem is the disconnect between traffic/parking enforcement and the JC Traffic Division. Traffic Division is concerned with flow of traffic through our streets and drivers that break the laws are "not their department". It makes sense? Drivers should always come to a full stop at STOP signs, stop for pedestrians in crosswalks and parking regulations should be enforced. JC Traffic Division operates under the assumption that those laws are being obeyed.

So then it becomes an enforcement issue. Does JCPA enforce parking on corners and in crosswalks? Most often not and why? Does JCPD have the manpower to enforce traffic violations on a scale that could create a change in the driving atmosphere for pedestrians? ???

Under our new Fulop administration I would like to see some cooperation between JCPD, JCPA and JC Traffic Division to fix the problem before more people are hurt for the sake of inaction. If traffic enforcement is off the table and we want to let cars park up to the crosswalks, then Traffic Division should be instructed instal an all way STOP at every intersection.

This idea is excellent and should be under the umbrella of the Public Safety Directors Role - Maybe appoint a liason coordinator for (urgent only) non emergency officers to help manage quality of life and public safety concerns - This Public Safety Coordinator could also direct the enforcement arm of the JCIA and Animal Control.....The day to day running is still managed by their own department administators

Posted on: 2013/8/20 7:34
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
From my experience of trying to get a STOP sign installed, JC Traffic will only put in a STOP sign if they are forced to by state law. They put their 'car counting hose' across the the street and if it doesn't break the magic number? no STOP sign. We had a petition with over 100 signatures from just 2 blocks of 8th street, photographs of many smashed cars and the support of Steve Fulop. All we got were NO PARKING signs that are not being enforced.

In my opinion the BIG problem is the disconnect between traffic/parking enforcement and the JC Traffic Division. Traffic Division is concerned with flow of traffic through our streets and drivers that break the laws are "not their department". It makes sense? Drivers should always come to a full stop at STOP signs, stop for pedestrians in crosswalks and parking regulations should be enforced. JC Traffic Division operates under the assumption that those laws are being obeyed.

So then it becomes an enforcement issue. Does JCPA enforce parking on corners and in crosswalks? Most often not and why? Does JCPD have the manpower to enforce traffic violations on a scale that could create a change in the driving atmosphere for pedestrians? ???

Under our new Fulop administration I would like to see some cooperation between JCPD, JCPA and JC Traffic Division to fix the problem before more people are hurt for the sake of inaction. If traffic enforcement is off the table and we want to let cars park up to the crosswalks, then Traffic Division should be instructed instal an all way STOP at every intersection.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bradleybeachbrawl wrote:
How come Fat Ass and the other legal scholars aren't questioning why the driver wasn't tested for DWI? Anybody?

I think Bradley brings up a good point. Was this driver tested for DWI? They should have been.

I was involved in a car accident in Pennsylvania several years ago that was my fault. The cop who responded to the scene breathalyzed both me and the driver whose car I hit. We both blew 0.00.

I thought it was standard procedure to breathalyze drivers involved in a car accident. It only takes a second and it can tell you a lot.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Like I said before, and SteveWilson blissfully ignored: putting up any sort of stop sign, traffic light, etc., requires a lot of effort. But, OK. Carry on. I am sure you can debate this to death over the next few days. You will not get a stop sign anytime soon. That's a fact.

I wish it was blissful. Is there an adult in your house that knows the answer?

Posted on: 2013/8/20 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Like I said before, and SteveWilson blissfully ignored: putting up any sort of stop sign, traffic light, etc., requires a lot of effort. But, OK. Carry on. I am sure you can debate this to death over the next few days. You will not get a stop sign anytime soon. That's a fact.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ripple wrote:

whoever runs the turnpike extension (Port Authority?)

Come on. Really?

Posted on: 2013/8/19 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Yeah, I am confused by this statement. the HPHA seems like they can get it done quicker than a few years.

Is there anyone official who can comment on this?

Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Unfortunately it involves much more, like traffic studies and state permissions. You can't just slam one up, even if you're the mayor, though I believe there's some "emergency" clauses.

I think that is only for traffic lights. I think towns can put up their own stop signs as long as it's a local road.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Unfortunately it involves much more, like traffic studies and state permissions. You can't just slam one up, even if you're the mayor, though I believe there's some "emergency" clauses.

I think that is only for traffic lights. I think towns can put up their own stop signs as long as it's a local road.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
the Harsimus Cove community group has been trying to get a second stop sign at the 1st/Erie intersection for YEARS. it is a bureaucratic nightmare.

Quote:

brewster wrote:

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
It's not hard at all, but involves doing more than bitching on a message board. Go to the respective NA, attend the meeting, voice your concern and follow up. That's how it gets done.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
How hard is it to put in STOP signs? Apparently, as hard as replacing damaged trash cans. In other words, almost impossible.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Best thing would be to write an email to Candice Osborne. Fulop was very responsive when he was councilman, even if his hands were tied -- I pushed him to make 8th & Manila a two-way stop, and the city didn't want to do it, but things might be different now.

In calming traffic downtown, more interests are at stake than just the city. Direct or indirect, you're also probably dealing with pushback from NJtransit and whoever runs the turnpike extension (Port Authority?)

Quote:

brewster wrote:

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
It's not hard at all, but involves doing more than bitching on a message board. Go to the respective NA, attend the meeting, voice your concern and follow up. That's how it gets done.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
How hard is it to put in STOP signs? Apparently, as hard as replacing damaged trash cans. In other words, almost impossible.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/19 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/19 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I would prefer the opinion of someone knowledgeable.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/19 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
We need a lot more two way stop signs in Jersey City. How hard would it be to have a stop sign added to the intersection of 8th and Jersey?

Posted on: 2013/8/19 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
My rule is eye contact with drivers when walking across streets. HP is a prime example of driver behavior as people drive around the park. They almost always just look in the direction car traffic is coming and don't stop unless they have to. Many, many drivers never check the opposite pedestrian side. I have been here 25 years and have seen it a million times. Some of the worst offenders are actually local residents and SHOCKINGLY women with kids in their car. Speed Humps would be great and the speed limit should be 20MPH at the most. And finally and for the hundredth time, if I were struck while walking or in a car I would insist that any illegally parked cars in the intersection be cited and then included in any litigation.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 16:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/24 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
How come Fat Ass and the other legal scholars aren't questioning why the driver wasn't tested for DWI? Anybody?

Posted on: 2013/8/19 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUrahrah wrote:
ALSO not to put all the blame on drivers, too many people cross streets without looking - NEVER ASSUME THE CARS CAN SEE YOU.

While I agree that this intersection is BADLY in need of a westbound stop sign, and drivers do gun the turn because of the poor visibility of westbound traffic, I want to strongly say to pedestrians: DON'T BET YOUR LIFE ON THE ATTENTIVENESS OF A DRIVER!! I'm always shocked at the willingness of pedestrians to put their life in the hands of a driver who may be texting, fiddling with the radio, looking at street signs, or (please no one be offended) older and without the eyesight and reactions they once had.

I'm not saying always give in to a car, I'm saying always freaking LOOK! A zillion times I've seen people cross a street in front of my car in legal crosswalks, against lights, or in the middle of a street with their backs to traffic without so much as a glance to see if several thousand pounds of hurtling metal are coming their way. Sometimes it's just that their nose is buried in their phone, sometimes its a twisted way of kids feeling empowered. But it's all just foolishness to not even bother to keep an eye on someone who can take your life in an instant of distraction, failed reactions, or failed brakes.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

leigh13 wrote:
Let's see, so far we have blamed:

1. The driver
2. Cars parked too close to the corners
3. The boy's parents
4. SUVs
5. The city for its apathy toward pedestrian safety

Anything I missed? I would like to point out that the boy or driver might have been distracted by unleashed dogs in the park. Or by all the noise and trash from the basketball courts.

In all seriousness, that intersection is certainly in need of some added safety measures. A stop sign for drivers turning left from 8th St onto Jersey Ave would go a long way.

HAHA!

Seriously though, its 1 and 2.

Drivers drive down that 8th over 25mpg (closer to 45mph)

Driver on Jersey has to pull out about half way to make the left because cars are parked to close to the corner. Driver is too busy looking right for oncoming traffic. Has to gun it to pull out.

I doubt a Stop sign would help. There's a two way stop at Erie and 8th. I was almost run over there about 5 times. Saw a guy on a bike get hit.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
yes, it would. Residents in and around the HP should join this:

http://www.hpnajc.org/Home_Page.html

Make it happen, get involved.

Quote:

mendezia wrote:
A stop sign on 8th St. would help...

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
A stop sign on 8th St. would help...

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:

"2. Cars parked too close to the corners"

Is the one item that the City can immediately and easily fix!

Wasn't there a recent thread about the city going on a ticketing blitz targeting cars parked too close to the corner?

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Agreed Leigh. So my question to everyone is: what are you going to do to help address this? Leave snarky comments on a message board or actually do something to help it?

Quote:

leigh13 wrote:

1. The driver
3. The boy's parents
4. SUVs

Anything I missed? I would like to point out that the boy or driver might have been distracted by unleashed dogs in the park. Or by all the noise and trash from the basketball courts.

In all seriousness, that intersection is certainly in need of some added safety measures. A stop sign for drivers turning left from 8th St onto Jersey Ave would go a long way.

"2. Cars parked too close to the corners"

Is the one item that the City can immediately and easily fix!

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Agreed Leigh. So my question to everyone is: what are you going to do to help address this? Leave snarky comments on a message board or actually do something to help it?

Quote:

leigh13 wrote:

1. The driver
3. The boy's parents
4. SUVs

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Because of tight parking, people are parking closer to intersections, obstructing a clear view, especially those SUV's which are incredibly unnecessary. I have regularly noticed cars parking very close to the corner at the east, south corner of 8th and Jersey as well as many of the other local intersections. I'm not suggesting that parking caused the problem in this instance, but it certainly heightens the possibility of other similar incidents.

This is like a reflex to you, isn't it? The car was standing at a stop signal, preparing to turn left, - in order for it to be attributed to an obstruction by a parked car, it should have been parked not just way on the crosswalk, but double-parked too.

Not true at all. Take a walk around the area and look closely at how much vision is blocked, even by cars that are a car's length and more away from the corner. When combined with the fact that drivers speed through intersections it's extremely dangerous.

In one of the accidents I saw on the corner of Eerie and Third the car w/ the stop sign correctly stopped at the stop sign and they STILL hit each other!! No double parking. and the cars were parked legally. Both drivers said they couldn't see over parked SUVs!

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

1. The driver
3. The boy's parents
4. SUVs

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
Need to clear the cars parking on the corners. Just a plain hazard.

It doesn't help that drivers don't like to come to a complete stop!

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I agree with your solutions. In the Paulus Hook area, we are working to get stop signs put at the of Washington St., because there has been a major uptick in instances of people speeding around the corner and almost hitting pedestrians, some with baby carriages! People also speed through the barricade to park at the memorial parking lot (which is illegal), to go to the "dog park" (which it isn't). Personally, I've seen it happen 5 times in the last week and a half, and it's getting worse.

That said, you should join your local neighborhood association and write your local ward council person. Push to get these things implemented. I know speed bumps are a big initiative for DTJC as a whole, so you will help that cause.

To your other point, though, it's not that poop or speed bumps or anything else is higher or lower priority. We can address all of them. It's disheartening to see people on here play the "issue X is more important then Y, so address Y first" game. If enough people are involved, we can address X, Y and even A, B and C and others. But, it takes commitment at the neighborhood level.

Get involved and be proactive. This message board is a great place to gather ideas (when you wade through the extraneous BS), but you've got to then move forward and execute on them.

Keep the good ideas flowing!

Quote:

RUrahrah wrote:
first of all i hope that this boy is ok and we dont see this anytime soon.

but this addresses, imo the #1 problem in JC, which is pedestrian/biker safety. (even though popular belief on this board might think its off-leash dogs and dog poopies)

The park should have speed humps on ALL 4 sides - i live off mcwilliams and i see car blazing through the yield sign in front of GP's. I trained my dog to wait at the curb with me (she is on leash! dont worry). And i also have two cars so i drive through and around HP all the time. i always come to a full stop at the yield and all stop signs. I can SEE the anger in my rear-view mirrors as i do this. But i hope they can see the high volume of pedestrians there - plus there are schools right there plus a bus stop to take the kids to private school too. incredible amount of foot traffic that needs to be addressed.

ALSO not to put all the blame on drivers, too many people cross streets without looking - NEVER ASSUME THE CARS CAN SEE YOU.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
first of all i hope that this boy is ok and we dont see this anytime soon.

but this addresses, imo the #1 problem in JC, which is pedestrian/biker safety. (even though popular belief on this board might think its off-leash dogs and dog poopies)

The park should have speed humps on ALL 4 sides - i live off mcwilliams and i see car blazing through the yield sign in front of GP's. I trained my dog to wait at the curb with me (she is on leash! dont worry). And i also have two cars so i drive through and around HP all the time. i always come to a full stop at the yield and all stop signs. I can SEE the anger in my rear-view mirrors as i do this. But i hope they can see the high volume of pedestrians there - plus there are schools right there plus a bus stop to take the kids to private school too. incredible amount of foot traffic that needs to be addressed.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

colleen wrote:
Not a parking issue. Driver fail. Jersey City style is to power thru turn, looking only east down 8th for someone speeding even faster than you, ignoring anything left/west. Same same with traffic south on McWilliams, drivers roll thru looking left up 8th only.

That would be easy to solve by making it a 3-way stop.

You mean a 2-way stop sign. In a case like this a traffic light would help with pedestrain traffic especially with a park near by. A matter of fact the park might do the trick considering the amount of accidents there. But a stop sign never changes so the car would always be at fault even due to the negligence of the pedestrain. It is also tough to make a left turn with a bike onto Jersey Ave. from 8th St. because cars are not coming to a full stop. Keep in mind that there are blind spots when making left turns due to the design of some vehicles. Notice that when making either left or right turns. The viewing area is wider when making a right because your vision is not being blocked by the windshield pillar.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 12:00
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017