Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
168 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Car Booted on First Offense
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/20 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
It's because people who don't live in JC would come & park and residents couldn't get spots. My sisters who live in Albany have the same kind of permits.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 1:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/20 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, no! The boot!! This is why I pay to park my car in a lot. I am a giant lazybones and could never haul myself out of bed to move the car (not saying this is you--just lazy old me!). But JC is brutal. When I moved here 11 years ago, my long-time neighborhood pals warned me: move the car or else you will get the boot! That said, I'd try to argue it--it does seem ridiculously excessive & you could win! Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
NYC passed a law not long ago giving a grace period so people didn't get these kind of douche tickets where they can just sit there and wait for the time to expire. Personally I thing the whole concept of these "reserved" (sold) street parking spots is disgusting.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 1:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/13 22:03
From see profile name
Group:
Registered Users
That happened to me a few years ago (was on Washington for 10 minutes, came back and there was a boot and ticket on my car). I was pretty outraged, as it was my first offense too.

I sent an email to my then-councilman, a guy named Steve Fulop, and he emailed the parking commissioner and had the boot fee removed. Not saying it'll happen to you, but that's one of the ways he won my vote.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shab30 wrote:
I am a new resident of Jersey City and I parked my car right outside of my resident in a street reserved spot that is open to everyone from 7pm to 7am. When I went to move the car in the morning @ 7:30 am it already had a boot and a parking ticket on it. Upon review of the ticket, it was issued at 7:04am and the boot was placed at 7:02am. I suppose they boot the car before issuing the ticket.

I dont mind the parking ticket since I should have moved it before 7am but the booting of the car was plain out wrong. Based on further research illegal booting on first time offense seems to be a common problem in this city. Did any one have any luck fighting it?

If the parking zone has no mention about resident zone parking and you are new to the city (proof of being a new resident would help - lease agreement etc), a Judge could very well null and void the ticket - Its beyond belief that anyone not local and aware of 'some'map' for resident zones can be legally booked - If there are signs then you're screwed.

Another point would be the time of the offence - Did the boot and ticket guy rely on their wrist watch, if so or not , what certified timing device was being used to calibrate that time - If the boot and ticket rely on approximate time (like their watches) it would then give a Judge the opportunity to allow some sort of leeway in your favor - considering how close it was to the offence time.
You would think there would be a 10 minute window from posted sign time to offence time to cover any disputes of time.

Even the police speed radar guns have a leeway of a few miles per hour and even your vehicle speedometer is not 100% correct (always lower).
When dealing with time, speed and other forms of measurements you have to be exact, show how you are exact, how you maintain that exact measurements or have a leeway that can only conclude in that you were 100% over that measurement.

I'm not an expert in this area but there would have to be checks and balances from an operator, to mitigate false or incorrect tickets; in your situation you'd hope you didn't get the boot and ticket when it was really 6.59am.

You could call the JCPA and ask them how they calibrate their time and ask for a copy of their guidelines on booting and tickect issuing - There might be a grace period when one starts to issue tickets from a posted start time in their guidlines that officers are not adhering to!

Its a long shot, but you never know.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 0:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Give this man a call

Posted on: 2013/8/13 23:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't realize there were Street Resident Only parking permits. How do you identify these from typical Zone permit parking?

Is there a map or list of where this policy is in effect?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
"First time booting"
Reserved Parking does not follow other JC zone permit rules. And it will occur if you park in Zone 3 (Essex Street) as well; these spaces are strictly permit, residents of that street only - and they will boot immediately and also ticket.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 20:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 15:04
Group:
Registered Users
blanquiita - I do have parking permit for my zone but since there were no spots available I parked there hoping to move it by 7am. I was half an hour too late but I shouldnt have gotten a boot since I had no prior offense.

jklm - Yes I did park on that 'JCPA Reserved Parking' signs that are open to everyone from 7pm to 7am on Steuben Street.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Do you move to Steuben Street? Very strict attention is given to any roads with "Reserved Parking" signs. They don't seem to have the same rules as regular zone permit parking. Booting is done immediately - kind of like stealing a car without moving it.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shab30 wrote:
I am a new resident of Jersey City and I parked my car right outside of my resident in a street reserved spot that is open to everyone from 7pm to 7am. When I went to move the car in the morning @ 7:30 am it already had a boot and a parking ticket on it. Upon review of the ticket, it was issued at 7:04am and the boot was placed at 7:02am. I suppose they boot the car before issuing the ticket.

I dont mind the parking ticket since I should have moved it before 7am but the booting of the car was plain out wrong. Based on further research illegal booting on first time offense seems to be a common problem in this city. Did any one have any luck fighting it?

Do you have a parking permit for your zone?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 19:08

Car Booted on First Offense

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 15:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/13 18:43

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017