Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: New tax bill
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
If I remember correctly, my friend who brought a new construction at Liberty Harbor took almost a year to get their tax bills.

Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
I bought a place in Feb, and have never received a tax bill. I've called a the assessor and the collector and they have no idea when I'll get a bill. So I come here. Any clue?

I forgot to mention my place is new construction.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 3:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/9 20:50
Group:
Banned
that just depletes your escrow account.
speaking from experience. my wife and I bought then the tax increase happenned. they actually didnt tell anybody about it.
the raise depleted my escrow account in 6 months.

then the bank told me i had to have a minimum balanace in my escrow account, and I had to cough up 5k.

the tax increase is a joke. its way for the city exploite the new people moving in. most people at this point paying the tax increase are new people investing in the city. reval STILL in progress for all others. what a JOKE.

The only saving gracea bout JC is the property values went up significantly in the past 5 years. However, that will end becuase the city now has their hands in that cookie jar.

Taxes are added to your mortgage, the higher the taxes the more the mortgage. Therefore logic dictates if the taxes go up
property values go flat. that combined with mortgagew rate increase the tax hike could actually make property values go down.

again, what a joke. JC is the worst place i have ever lived.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 18:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/10 2:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If you have the balance in escrow, the bank should be taking care of it. You can also check billed amounts, payment deadlines and status @ http://taxes.cityofjerseycity.com/

Posted on: 2013/8/13 17:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

If things don't start turning around in the next year, of course you have legitimate gripes. But 4 weeks in? Really?

I don't think it is unreasonable to at least at this point hear/know of a plan (I don't need all the details- just the admission that something needs to be done- that it's a priority) to address the sky-high taxes in this town as well as address the extreme disparity in taxes from place to place. I get the motivation to try and cancel the reval, but what is the plan for those of us that are paying crazy-high taxes compared to those a block away? Waiting a year is tantamount to saying just deal with paying several thousand dollars more than your neghbor (what we are talking) for the next year.

That does NOT sit well with me. The mayor and council should at least have the cajones to express that this is the case.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
because I have the balance in escrow, and need to get the bill.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't you just go down there in person and pay it up front and get a receipt for it.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 14:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I bought a place in Feb, and have never received a tax bill. I've called a the assessor and the collector and they have no idea when I'll get a bill. So I come here. Any clue?

I forgot to mention my place is new construction.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 13:46

Edited by ProdigalSon on 2013/8/13 14:12:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/12 8:12
Group:
Registered Users
sad to say, but it seems their idea of tax reform is save money from one place and spend it somewhere else.
government agencies get a budget and if they don't spend it all, their budgets get cut, so they spend more and get a higher budget for the next year.
for starters, how about a 5% across the board spending cut intatead of a tax increase? government needs to live within their means like the rest of us.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 8:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
What happened with the revaluation?

Posted on: 2013/8/11 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vvparkster wrote:
As a former supporter of both Fulop and Osborne, I view the new budget as a remarkably early double-cross by Team Fulop. My net income was reduced (via a tax increase) in order to increase the incomes of employees and new commissioners (i.e. out-of-towner McGreevey) in the Mayor's Office. Now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It will most likely be a pay-to-play scandal involving a no-bid contract with another out-of-town Fulop political supporter. We need to be prepared to be disappointed by Team Fulop because corruption is alive and well in Jersey City and our taxes, let's face it, will never ever be lowered. That said, I would love for the Fulop Team to change course and prove me wrong.

As opposed to the old guard using our taxes legitimately. (insert sarcasm here)

Posted on: 2013/8/11 13:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/19 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
As a former supporter of both Fulop and Osborne, I view the new budget as a remarkably early double-cross by Team Fulop. My net income was reduced (via a tax increase) in order to increase the incomes of employees and new commissioners (i.e. out-of-towner McGreevey) in the Mayor's Office. Now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It will most likely be a pay-to-play scandal involving a no-bid contract with another out-of-town Fulop political supporter. We need to be prepared to be disappointed by Team Fulop because corruption is alive and well in Jersey City and our taxes, let's face it, will never ever be lowered. That said, I would love for the Fulop Team to change course and prove me wrong.

Posted on: 2013/8/11 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Some contracts have been voted on but others have not been awarded. These contracts are in resolutions at every council meetings. If you are running to change the face of government then you use the power of your office. Each person is responsible for his/her vote. This year, the city will receive $5.2 million in land sales. Some of that money is watershed property but it also includes regular property owners who cannot pay their taxes. It is not fair to struggling property owners to tell them to wait next year.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have been reading 40 years of budgets. The fat is hidden in the contracts.

Fair enough. Do you think a new council and mayor had the time to renegotiate contracts in the week or so before the budget had to be voted on?

I have no doubt that JC has some bad contracts, it would pretty par for the course as far as government goes. That doesn't mean a new council can come in and wipe them all clean to save money. Often they have to wait until the contract term is up before doing anything or they set off a bunch of lawsuits which cost the taxpayers more money.

I don't think anyone is saying the idea of saving money is unreasonable, they are saying the idea that newly elected officials can come in and responsibly reorganize and renegotiate contracts and government in a few weeks is simply not realistic.

I'd rather Fulop take his time and get things right than come in and just start hacking away. I've seen that before and it generally comes back to bite you.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 11:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have - and I'm tired. I think that's why I felt inclined to make such a post...

Posted on: 2013/7/30 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Knowing the last administration, and it's history, and you moved here a few years ago, and now you're disappointed? Nothing here is a new issue, and honestly, the city, overall IS better than it was, three years ago, five years ago, ten years ago....

I (obviously) don't know you - but what do you want? Have you been involved in working towards making the city better?

Not an attack, just honest questions....

thanks!

Posted on: 2013/7/30 3:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I moved here from Manhattan in 2010, and I must admit I've been HUGELY disappointed. Getting that tax bill was, honestly, the last straw. At present, Jersey City offers ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to city residents - the police suck, the schools suck, the streets are filled with garbage...... I could go on, but - I'll stop.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been reading 40 years of budgets. The fat is hidden in the contracts.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
I don't get how someone can try to blame Fulop.

Ok, I am going to rely on you.

Tell me, do you believe that Fulop did try and remove every single item from the City spending that can be removed, and there is nothing at all left to cut?

No unneeded administrators in the government, school system, fire and police departments? No subsidies paid that are not justified by the net tax gain for the city? Nothing at all?

I'm not saying he could have done things different but to lower the gap considering how large it was, The administration would have to made major cuts everywhere. Then when services fall people would still have been complaining about it.

Like I said before, I am giving Fulop a year before criticizing him on his moves. Its so easy to criticize someone when you're not in their position. He has made some cuts in the city like the recent news of cutting benefits to MUA for the commissioners, even restricting use of city vehicles. Maybe there were other things Fulop could have cut but its not always so easy.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
I don't get how someone can try to blame Fulop.

Ok, I am going to rely on you.

Tell me, do you believe that Fulop did try and remove every single item from the City spending that can be removed, and there is nothing at all left to cut?

No unneeded administrators in the government, school system, fire and police departments? No subsidies paid that are not justified by the net tax gain for the city? Nothing at all?

Posted on: 2013/7/30 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The job of the city council is the approve the budget. If the budget is not approved the council could be fined. So when you run for office, you should have an idea of your job. Your job is the budget. I will give credit to Fulop for understanding the budget as councilman. There are line items in the budget (312 and 314) that are contracts. In my opinion, some of these contracts should go. Cutting the contracts would save money.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get how someone can try to blame Fulop. Yes he is technically spending more of the cities money but how can you even blame the tax increase on him. The city had a $20 mil gap. With all the spending Fulop has done I doubt it is any where near that amount. Taxes would have gone up regardless of whoever was in office, even your pimp daddy Dan Levin.

I like Fulop so I am giving him one year tops to do something positive and at least put the city's finances in a better standing. I give him credit for at least making moves in the first month of his occupancy, whether you agree with the changes so far or not, he is doing something and not just sitting on his ass.

And thanks rosyln. Believe me you're doing us a favor. But please, fill us in on exactly how you were making JC a better place?

Posted on: 2013/7/29 20:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/29 20:01
Group:
Registered Users
Roslyn, I'm relieved that you've decided to take your winning personality elsewhere.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/29 20:01
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, I appreciate you that you give voice to concerns many JC residents share.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Umm, Roslyn... "I MOVED, BECUASE IN THE END ALL JC IS A PLACE WITH NO IDENTITY. " ???

I have no idea who you are or how you can make that kind of statement about a city that is one of the most diverse cities in the state/nation... what identity are you looking for? There are dozens of communities here in JC that are welcoming to any and everyone...

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/9 20:50
Group:
Banned
TO BAD. HOW DOES EVERYONE FEEL ABOUT FULOP NOW.
THIS GUY IS GOING TO TAKE ALL THE PROFITS FROM RECENT BUYERS BY INCREASING TAXES. APPARENTLY HE IS GOING TO TAKE CREDIT FOR THE REHAB OF JC INSTEAD OF GIVING CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE. ALL THE PEOPLE WHO TOOK THE CHANCE ON JC AND BOUGHT AN APARTMENT.

I MOVED, BECUASE IN THE END ALL JC IS A PLACE WITH NO IDENTITY. JUST A BUNCH OF LOW LIFES SITTING ON THEIR STOOPS AND LITTERING. TAXES WILL CONTINUE TO GO UP

Posted on: 2013/7/29 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
"It's easy to say "cut spending" but in reality this is not the current council or Mayor's budget. 2014 will be the first budget for this government."

+1

Posted on: 2013/7/29 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
That does that have to do with taxes rising 8%? The council could have cut the budget but they chose not to.

and what should they have cut exactly? What would your golden boy Fletcher have done differently? It's easy to say "cut spending" but in reality this is not the current council or Mayor's budget. 2014 will be the first budget for this government.

If you are upset with how resources were allocated for 2013 (half of which was already spent by July 1) I suggest you reach out to the former council members as the current council did not allocate the funds that have already been spent. The Mayor even said at this point the only cuts that could have been made were in the FD or PD.

So we have Yvonne Balcer, Lydia Radin, Fletcher Gensamer, who else will be providing the nonsensical entertainment for the next 4 years?

Posted on: 2013/7/29 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That does that have to do with taxes rising 8%? The council could have cut the budget but they chose not to.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users
Did your tax bill list the adjustment due to homestead benefit?

Posted on: 2013/7/27 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I gave a great suggestion concerning police overtime but you have to read that column. I also suggest you read the budget, the budget that shows departmental breakdown or as I call it the real budget. I can show you where to cut the budget.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 1:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017