Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jack Kelly works for JC 3 years, retires with a $94k JC pension and benefits for life
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
The article states that Kelly was awarded lifetime benefits back in 2010. Other than ensuring he doesn't continue to receive a paycheck, I'm not sure how any of his compensation is the responsibility of the current administration.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 18:12

Re: Jack Kelly works for JC 3 years, retires with a $94k JC pension and benefits for life
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
If he is taking pension and healthcare then he had an employment contract. He may not have been a civil services employee - but he was definitely an employee (of some type - a guarantee of pay, benefits, and retirement). Ending that contract without reason or reason that can be challenged would lead to wrongful termination - no?

I'm not clear on what difference you believe this makes? Wrongful termination doesn't operate in in context of employee type (as far as I know).

Dan I know you are knowledgeable - I take it you are suggesting that Fulop should have fired him? If so, I am interested in knowing why?

Employees of Kelly's level are management/confidential employees and serve at the pleasure of the mayor. There would be no claim for "wrongful termination" and generally there is no such a claim in employment law.

That is a different question from his accrual of benefits. Public employees, even at-will employees, accrue certain pension and health benefits based on their length of service.

I do not know if keeping Kelly on for slightly over 1 month allowed him to cross a threshold or not where certain benefits vested, as I am not quite so versed in the nuances of New Jersey Civil Service Law. I believe that with over 30 years of civil service he probably vested as much as he could.

If Fulop could have fired him on July 1st to avoid paying substantially more money he probably should have. But I'm not sure that is the case.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
The whole idea of lifetime pensions and benefits for public employees is offensive for the vast majority of private sector employees who would never get anything like that kind of retirement compensation.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Good riddance. These guys are way to expensive to get rid of, but worse to keep on. F you Healy, just F You!

Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If he is taking pension and healthcare then he had an employment contract. He may not have been a civil services employee - but he was definitely an employee (of some type - a guarantee of pay, benefits, and retirement). Ending that contract without reason or reason that can be challenged would lead to wrongful termination - no?

I'm not clear on what difference you believe this makes? Wrongful termination doesn't operate in in context of employee type (as far as I know).

Dan I know you are knowledgeable - I take it you are suggesting that Fulop should have fired him? If so, I am interested in knowing why?

Quote:

DanL wrote:
radryan03, mfadam, rescuelife -

what contract are you referring to - he was a department head and "served at the pleasure of the mayor." he did not have civil service protections.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
radryan03, mfadam, rescuelife -

what contract are you referring to - he was a department head and "served at the pleasure of the mayor." he did not have civil service protections.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Even if Fulop fired Jack Kelly immediately, that would not effect the terms of agreement he had with the city. We need to change to pension law on the state level and elections are coming up soon. I am referring to new hires, not people who are retired.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 15:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
I bet they tried moving him to another department and he would have none of that and decided to retire.

City isn't responsible for his pension, just his healthcare costs; till he is entitled to collect medicare.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CRV2 wrote:
Yes he did. And Steve Fulop allowed it to happen by not firing him as soon as he took office. Thanks Steve.

Firing him immediately would have resulted in a wrongful termination lawsuit and exponentially more money wasted away. Unfortunately the original contract was inked way before our current Mayor took office, and the terms would have help up in court.

Despite what your incorrect preconceived notions tell you, Mayor Fulop and this gentleman were very bitter enemies since his tenure with the city began under Mayor Healy.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
If this is what it takes to get rid of him so be it. Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out!

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Why are Jersey City taxpayers stuck paying this enormous bill?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e_benefits_from_city.html

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
his contract was inked under the Healy administration. Hopefully Team Fulop will be far more fair to the taxpayers in terms of new hire contracts.

That was a total giveaway to Kelly and no doubt there are thousands just like it from the years of Healy hiring...

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i want a job like that

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully the following will be on the agenda for the Fulop admin:

*Freeze the JC Pension plan. No new hires shall be added to it.
*All new hires get the equivalent of a 401k (403b?) for government workers.
*You stay on for 5+ years your 3% or 4% match gets fully vested.

If the police and fire department union heads have any sense, they will agree to the same. Even after Christie put more money into the State level pension, their solvency is still in question. In 2010 the police and fire pension was over $35 billion in the hole (which is less than 40% funded). It was estimated to be completely out of money by 2019 (assuming an generous 8% return on investments).

I have no idea what the financial status of the city level pension plan is. Hopefully it is in better shape than Detroit's. The Detroit retirees are going to take upwards of a 90% haircut in bankruptcy.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
1. He would have needed to be fired for cause
2. If he was immediately fired in a mayoral transition it would have created a plausible wrongful termination lawsuit
3. Legal fees and publicity off the case would have been more costly

You should be upset he was hired in the first place and given such a short time to tenure... Steve did the right thing by letting him go on his own free will - the longer he stayed with JC the bigger that pension would be...

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/3 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
Yes he did. And Steve Fulop allowed it to happen by not firing him as soon as he took office. Thanks Steve.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 12:17

Jack Kelly works for JC 3 years, retires with a $94k JC pension and benefits for life
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Why are Jersey City taxpayers stuck paying this enormous bill?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e_benefits_from_city.html

Posted on: 2013/8/6 5:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017