Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
It's funny how many people in downtown JC want a Whole Foods here. Most of these Whole Foods disciples would be the first people to rail against any big-box retailer opening here. But when it comes to $22bn Whole Food Market, Inc. opening up a large store here they fall over themselves with excitement at the prospect of it happening. Funny.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
The WSJ just wrote a piece of the breaking news, and their representative was quoted saying, "The company has looked at neighboring cities to Newark, such as Hoboken and Jersey City, but hasn't find the right location yet for a Whole Foods."

Story here:

http://m.us.wsj.com/article_email/a/S ... lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwMDExNDAyWj

Who knows, maybe when the Toll Bros. project gets finished Trader Joes will beat them to the space. I remember reading somewhere that the new construction next to 50 Columbus was a consideration for Whole Foods, considering it has a massive parking garage next door.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
It isn't purely demographics. They are moving into a large building with a huge parking lot across the street. There is a major transit hub and a world class arena and performing arts center right nearby. There are a lot more workers that spend the day right around that building than there are in downtown JC. There are thousands of college students living on campuses within a few blocks of the store. Prudential is already in town and Panasonic is moving in over 1,000 workers as we speak. Not to mention the municipal workers and law firms. It is simply a better location than Jersey City. They know what they are doing. And I suspect that Newark is a lot easier to deal with than Jersey City as far as getting a business up and running.

It is an 8 mile drive or 15-minute PATH ride and a 10-minute walk from the Grove Street station, so there's that.

I agree 100% I was just in Newark, I think people here just need to get out more, most folks on here and NJ.com posters knowledge of Newark is NJ.com crime stories and that's it.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
It isn't purely demographics. They are moving into a large building with a huge parking lot across the street. There is a major transit hub and a world class arena and performing arts center right nearby. There are a lot more workers that spend the day right around that building than there are in downtown JC. There are thousands of college students living on campuses within a few blocks of the store. Prudential is already in town and Panasonic is moving in over 1,000 workers as we speak. Not to mention the municipal workers and law firms. It is simply a better location than Jersey City. They know what they are doing. And I suspect that Newark is a lot easier to deal with than Jersey City as far as getting a business up and running.

It is an 8 mile drive or 15-minute PATH ride and a 10-minute walk from the Grove Street station, so there's that.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
@tommyc--I couldnt agree with you more! Its not whole foods we need, its just a decent store that sells artisan breads, dark chocolate, and nice fresh produce that we need. Key Foods is almost there for downtown, but out here in Greenville we have nothing but Bodegas and that piece of S#1t called Pathmark. I suspect a prison commissary has better customer service than Pathmark.

A Sprouts or Trander Joes would be nice...

Posted on: 2013/10/10 13:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
Would you all pay more taxes for a Whole Foods? Because you will.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The mystery here is that there are already plenty of Whole Foods locations in the suburbs near Newark, and university students can't afford Whole Foods. The mystery is why not downtown JC/Hoboken, both of which are well within the target demographics of WF, while almost the entirety of Newark's population is outside of their demographics.

I have no beef with Newark whatsoever; I'm just increasingly frustrated with the lack of an above average food market in downtown JC, while the cost of living here more than warrants such an amenity.

I know a good market is likely to come soon; just kind of getting tired of waiting. And then a Whole Foods announces an opening in Newark.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
aren't they building a wf in detroit. newark is not so far fetched, plus there are decent parts of newark, it does have a major university downtown and the burbs are close enough

I'm eager to see how the food situation changes when the old Police HQ opens. I'm hoping it will fill in the gaps in what we have now. Rather than a large supermarket that requires parking to be sustainable (I think) and would bring traffic into the neighborhood, smaller operators might be able to survive on just us locals and people who arrive by public transit.

Perhaps there has been a typo and the French chain W de F
is opening in Newark.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The mystery here is that there are already plenty of Whole Foods locations in the suburbs near Newark, and university students can't afford Whole Foods. The mystery is why not downtown JC/Hoboken, both of which are well within the target demographics of WF, while almost the entirety of Newark's population is outside of their demographics.

I have no beef with Newark whatsoever; I'm just increasingly frustrated with the lack of an above average food market in downtown JC, while the cost of living here more than warrants such an amenity.

I know a good market is likely to come soon; just kind of getting tired of waiting. And then a Whole Foods announces an opening in Newark.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
aren't they building a wf in detroit. newark is not so far fetched, plus there are decent parts of newark, it does have a major university downtown and the burbs are close enough

Posted on: 2013/10/10 11:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/10 11:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Some of the commebts on NJ.com:

MoreNonsense2 hours ago
If Starbucks on Broad St. opposite Prudential closed, then there is NO WAY this place will succeed. Are people going to walk along Broad St and Raymond Blvd with their organic tomatoes? Talk about a target! I give it a few meager years.

LikeReplyShare
Hank1172 hours ago
This makes about as much sense as opening a bodega in Millburn or Mendham.

LikeReplyShare
billyd212121_14 hours ago
I just emailed this story to the David Letterman Show. There's got to be at least two weeks of jokes from this story lmao! Whole Foods will have a special department for organic Weed grown locally in NJ

LikeReplyShare
I_M_Forman6 hours ago
A health food store in Newark? Well, this is going to be interesting. It will become a dollar store and a Laundromat within three years of opening. Move over Grant Towers, here comes Newark's latest tower of Babel.

LikeReplyShare
mikynewark8 hours ago
Nothing new about a supermarket trying in Newark. I seem to remember one that left after the store manager was needlessly executed during a robbery. Safe was opened and they shot him in the head anyway, just because. Of course the store closed.

LikeReplyShare
orangecop8 hours ago
Big mistake, unless they start selling potato chips and grape soda.

LikeReplyShare
has2bsaid8 hours ago
LOL.... Wait until those 15 to 20 dollar per slice exotic cheeses start floating out the door!

Posted on: 2013/10/10 10:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Amazing timing sort of reminds me of someone we used to know oh yeah Healy. How many pictures were there of Healy with a shovel in his hand leading up to the May election? Booker does it a week before his election on Oct 16th.

The plans for the renovation/conversion of the old Hahne?s building were just approved 2 months ago. It will take years to renovate. Does Booker have a personal photographer like Healy?

Posted on: 2013/10/10 10:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
It's good for Newark, but the city must provide adequate security. So people from surrounding towns don't fear to go there.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 10:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nah. There are Whole Foods locatons in West Orange, Montclair, and Millburn. Nobody from the Essex County suburbs, or any suburbs, will be going into Newark for a supermarket.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Wow, if they are opening in Newark, all speculations that they require a certain level of affluency in a neighborhood before opening a store go right out the window.

Who would have thought that Newark gets a Whole Foods before JC?

And in all honesty, will a WF do well in Newark??

I think they would do very well Newark is gentrifying and they have the Oranges right there that could help support it, lots of middle class in the Oranges. JC surrounding cities are Hoboken and Bayonne which is just not enough.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 8:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I guess I'm glad I have a place in Harrison less than a mile from where the new Whole Foods is going in!

Sorry Jersey City, you lost this battle. Enjoy your Shoprite and Target grocery stores.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 5:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I am very familiar with the area and that particular site...especially since i wrote an article for my university's school newspaper about development there.

I think its good for the city......and I am guessing that Wholefoods is in it for the long haul(and pretty sure they will get a nice abatement).

Maybe TJ's will stake a claim in JC/Bayonne. One can hope!

Also, i have spent lots of time in Newark.....it's a great city full of potential....and most of the people are decent. If you are going to highlight the bad about Newark don't forget to highlight all the good.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Honestly, this is bullshit. When the Whole Foods hoax surfaced earlier this year, WF management gave us the runaround, saying "oh you can suggest one if you want". Well, we did. Nothing against Newark, but really? I was so excited when I thought we might have one in town, but no. I'd have to take a 20 minute PATH ride and walk through penn station bum land to get my celeriac and lentils? Come on.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Newark is gentrifying and they have the Oranges right there that could help support it, lots of middle class in the Oranges. JC surrounding cities are Hoboken and Bayonne which is just not enough.

Are you free this Saturday? I have a car and would love to drive you around the "gentrified" Newark and lovely Oranges. I'm assuming you haven't been there since the 1950's.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Wow, if they are opening in Newark, all speculations that they require a certain level of affluency in a neighborhood before opening a store go right out the window.

I think they would do very well Newark is gentrifying and they have the Oranges right there that could help support it, lots of middle class in the Oranges. JC surrounding cities are Hoboken and Bayonne which is just not enough.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/10 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Honestly, after years of complaining and pleading it's going to be interesting when people realize how vastly over-priced and overrated Whole Foods is if they actually open here. I mean really now.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
It could happen. It seems that Whole Foods will be opening a store in Newark.
Whole Foods!

Posted on: 2013/10/10 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Article in WSJ suggests that Sprouts and King Soopers are much cheaper than Whole Foods ...maybe people should ask these chains to come to JC

Posted on: 2013/8/22 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
How about a Stew Leonards. They have a Stew Leonards in Clifton, N.J. but only sell wine there.
http://www.stewleonards.com/

Posted on: 2013/8/7 18:33
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
A Trader Joe's, especially one that sells alcohol, would do incredibly well downtown -- TJ's doesn't need as much space as a typical supermarket and the discount prices are something that downtown residents would want to take advantage of. Whole Foods, on the other hand, needs more space and might find that its customer base is more limited.

Quote:

owlie wrote:
I would like to see Fairway or Eataly or Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's. What is so wrong about having something finer than what is already here? Why does that offend so many people? When businesses come into a community they contribute taxes and make life easier for the people in the community who actually pay taxes. Businesses also hire people in their community. I see that as all good.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to see Fairway or Eataly or Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's. What is so wrong about having something finer than what is already here? Why does that offend so many people? When businesses come into a community they contribute taxes and make life easier for the people in the community who actually pay taxes. Businesses also hire people in their community. I see that as all good.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
shrug, i've been saying the same thing in this and a couple other threads for years. shoprite is fine, and i'd wager that most of the thousands of people that go there daily would agree. it's the old saying, i suppose: no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously, you, and I, and the countless others bitching and complaining about the ShopRite are in it together (for some not yet determined reason) to disparage a paragon of customer service and food excellence. In our distorted reality, the place is crap, but thankfully Moto has corrected that. We now know that we have made it all up, or dreamt it. Thanks, Moto.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 15:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I used to shop at Food Mart Int'l when I lived here previously as I mentioned earlier in this thread, and after it closed I typically shopped in NYC when I was there or in South Orange/Millburn/Maplewood because I worked over there.

Since moving back I have been to Shop Rite exactly once. I bought three mangoes listed on the sign as "ripe", two heads of iceberg lettuce, two peaches and a few other non-produce things.

Each mango was sour and crunchy, even being sold as ripe and the third being eaten four or five days after purchase.

The two heads of lettuce were BOTH full of those brown veins, throughout the entire head, so I wound up throwing both of them out.

The peaches tasted like cotton balls.

I will never buy produce there again. It was appalling. I wasn't looking for it to be organic, or delicious, or even adequate. I would have settled for edible. It was none of those things.

Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I stopped going to Shoprite many years ago. While I was living at Avalon Cove, I used to go due to the convenience. But after walking out empty handed many times (the produce were so ugly, they looked like they were thrown out by other supermarkets, and this Shoprite went and picked them up to sell at this location), I just gave up. Waste of time!!! Never again.

I've been to other shoprites in NJ, and my god, the difference is day and night!!!

I refuse to pay money to buy crap, and be treated like crap while I'm a customer. For that, I'd rather tread into Chinatown - at least everything is real cheap and fresh.

I stopped buying produce at the Shoprite for the same reason. I've been going to the Asian market on Tonnelle Ave 555 Market the produce is fresher & less expensive and the selection is better.[/quote]

Posted on: 2013/8/6 3:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
When is the Asian Market opening at Hudson Mall?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 3:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
Lots of exaggeration about Shoprite Marin Plaza so, I'll defend:
Produce, I've had no out of the ordinary problems in 14 years of shopping here
Fish/Deli, folks doing their job, very helpful, sometimes juggling breaks amongst each other so the wait/service is confusing
Prices, there is actually a scanner down by the frozen aisle, but I'm good with labeling and when I have a quarrel on a price, cashiers or I go over to confirm (standard customer service)
Clientele, I won't say more than: Get. Over. Yourself. JCLIST Snobs.
Shopping carts, same as anywhere, busy times = you may have to walk to pick up a cart by someone's car at the fences

Funny thing is, I wonder if you transfer these complaints into a Whole Foods: produce issues, lack of immediate customer service, price confusion, screaming yuppie kids and/or parents, missing shopping carts; would the complainers still get at Whole Foods for all of the above?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I saranghae Hmart. It would be so great if they opened one in JC. The Korean Community in Bayonne and JC is growing but it's still not big enough like some other communities.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 16:52

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017