Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Storefronts on Newark Ave
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
I shop at the $0.99 store all the time because it's close, cheap, and has things I need.

Maybe you should go in there an browse instead of casting aspersions about the clientele that low cost good providers bring.

Key Foods has some great prices too... BETTER SHUT IT DOWN, IT'S ATTRACTING VAGABONDS

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:

Good plan. Lets tear down the one building with character on Newark and replace it with pavers, when Grove Plaza is literally 2 blocks away. Thank God not everyone is allowed to be an urban planner.

I think it's an excess of character on Newark Ave that has ruffled everyone's fedoras.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Vindi, you know I'm a fan. But I want to play Devil's advocate on some of your points.

1. Your property value point is a good one, got nothing against that idea (except I rent, so when values go up, my rent goes up, but that's my problem). And like you said, it's not a race question. Saying you want an area to be less ghetto may imply race to some, but I get your point. There are ghetto types of all races hanging around and they don't add anything to the community.

2. there's actually a pretty good amount of homeless/vagabond (yeah I used that word hahah) types on washington st begging and bother people. It may not be as prominent as Newark ave, but that's also because there's a halfway house near Newark if I remember correctly. Change the stores all you want, you'll still have these types hanging out. Agreed?

3. I can only speak for myself when I say Hoboken can keep its Cake Boss show. I shutter to think of a store like that on Newark ave with it's ridiculous lines for sub standard pastries. And most of the restaurants on Newark/Grove have a pretty healthy crowds most nights. Parts of Brooklyn have it right, and have avoided cookie cutter, Hoboken-style businesses. Brooklyn has a healthy balance of grit and glitter. We can do that too. Let Hoboken be Hoboken. Let DTJC be its own thing.

4. Like another poster said, these 99 cent stores have been there forever. Clearly they're filling a need (unless they're fronts for drug dealers. I dont know). We should focus on filling in the empty spots before talking about getting rid of existing businesses.

Like I said, just trying to explore both sides of the coin here. I've got no magic solutions on this one. But ultimately, the community will decide.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
haha. you people are funny. Okay, let me respond to some of these ridiculous posts

To MikeyTBC, you mentioned race - I never mentioned race in any of my posts. I don't care if you are white, asian, latino, black, martian - the act of shopping at these stores is cheap and cheapness and ghettoness brings down my property values, which is really all I care about and what all of you should care about.

Speaking of property values, you know why DTJC's priemer street, it's famed "restaurant row" should be more like streets in manhattan and washington street in hoboken? Simply put, the properties in those areas sell for more. You can come with the usual "blandness" "douchiness" "cookie-cutter" terms. They mean nothing in the real world because the bottom line is money and the fact is those places are worth more than our properties.

In comparing us to washington st in hoboken, just ask yourself these questions:

Are there more homeless people harassing people on washington street or newark ave?

Are there more abandoned properties/torn down/empty lots on washington street or newark ave?

Which properties, on average, cost more?

Where is there more of a nightlife at night? Where are NYCers more likely to go if they venture out of the city?

Is there a tv show based on a store in hoboken (cake boss) or one in dtjc?

Also, posting pics of one 99 cents tore in manhattan does nothing to prove your point user. There are literally 3-4 99 cent/discount cheapo stores within a 4 block radius on newark's famed restaurant row. Unacceptable

1) The problem isn't rising property values (which is a good thing), it is flat or in some cases deflating wages. I'm very much for a living wage but also for improving education and reducing crime in this city so people can become professionals.

2) yes, there are homeless on wash str. I would argue that quantity and permanency is more of a problem on newark ave. I mean, we have our own resident homeless - paco and taco or something like that? Getting rid of 99 cent stores will not rid the homeless but I bet non 99 cent/discount stores would have more of a problem with homless people staying in front of their stores.

3) I only mention that show because reputation wise, hoboken's rep is better than ours. All I'm asking for is a little less grit and more glamour? 4-5 discount stores within a 3 block radius is not a balance...

Thanks for understanding my perspective though. It's definitely a change than other people on this board who just hurl labels on me.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Newark between Grove st. and just past Erie st. could be turned into a pedestrian mall, with large outdoor seating areas for the restaurants on the block. If the city could purchase and demolish the Morlee's building, the intersection of Bay, Newark, and Erie could be turned into some sort of fountain garden plaza type thing to anchor the pedestrian mall. Not gonna happen anytime super soon but I think it would be cool if it happened someday.

Good plan. Lets tear down the one building with character on Newark and replace it with pavers, when Grove Plaza is literally 2 blocks away. Thank God not everyone is allowed to be an urban planner.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

the act of shopping at these stores is cheap and cheapness and ghettoness brings down my property values, which is really all I care about and what all of you should care about.

Some of us think that pricing everyone who is not upper middle class white collar out of JC will make it a boring ass place to live. I moved here because it's not insanely expensive and sanitized. I know plenty of people like me. Many of us started out here because we were kind of broke and it was a decent place to live. Now we are those successful white collar people (architects, IT professionals, academics, etc.) but we haven't forgotten our roots.

We may technically be yuppies (young, urban, and professional) but we also have underemployed friends drowning in student loan debt. We have artist and musician friends struggling to make a name for themselves who we'd like to keep around, because their shows and art openings are what make our neighborhood fun.

And guess what...we're politically active. We go to city council meetings. We helped vote in Fulop. I'd venture to guess that between the heights and downtown there are more of us than there are people you who embody the true yuppie scum stereotype.

Good luck with your property values.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Vindi, you know I'm a fan. But I want to play Devil's advocate on some of your points.

1. Your property value point is a good one, got nothing against that idea (except I rent, so when values go up, my rent goes up, but that's my problem). And like you said, it's not a race question. Saying you want an area to be less ghetto may imply race to some, but I get your point. There are ghetto types of all races hanging around and they don't add anything to the community.

2. there's actually a pretty good amount of homeless/vagabond (yeah I used that word hahah) types on washington st begging and bother people. It may not be as prominent as Newark ave, but that's also because there's a halfway house near Newark if I remember correctly. Change the stores all you want, you'll still have these types hanging out. Agreed?

3. I can only speak for myself when I say Hoboken can keep its Cake Boss show. I shutter to think of a store like that on Newark ave with it's ridiculous lines for sub standard pastries. And most of the restaurants on Newark/Grove have a pretty healthy crowds most nights. Parts of Brooklyn have it right, and have avoided cookie cutter, Hoboken-style businesses. Brooklyn has a healthy balance of grit and glitter. We can do that too. Let Hoboken be Hoboken. Let DTJC be its own thing.

4. Like another poster said, these 99 cent stores have been there forever. Clearly they're filling a need (unless they're fronts for drug dealers. I dont know). We should focus on filling in the empty spots before talking about getting rid of existing businesses.

Like I said, just trying to explore both sides of the coin here. I've got no magic solutions on this one. But ultimately, the community will decide.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
haha. you people are funny. Okay, let me respond to some of these ridiculous posts

To MikeyTBC, you mentioned race - I never mentioned race in any of my posts. I don't care if you are white, asian, latino, black, martian - the act of shopping at these stores is cheap and cheapness and ghettoness brings down my property values, which is really all I care about and what all of you should care about.

Speaking of property values, you know why DTJC's priemer street, it's famed "restaurant row" should be more like streets in manhattan and washington street in hoboken? Simply put, the properties in those areas sell for more. You can come with the usual "blandness" "douchiness" "cookie-cutter" terms. They mean nothing in the real world because the bottom line is money and the fact is those places are worth more than our properties.

Are there more homeless people harassing people on washington street or newark ave?

Are there more abandoned properties/torn down/empty lots on washington street or newark ave?

Where is there more of a nightlife at night? Where are NYCers more likely to go if they venture out of the city?

Also, posting pics of one 99 cents tore in manhattan does nothing to prove your point user. There are literally 3-4 99 cent/discount cheapo stores within a 4 block radius on newark's famed restaurant row. Unacceptable

Posted on: 2013/8/2 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I never mentioned race in any of my posts. I don't care if you are white, asian, latino, black, martian - the act of shopping at these stores is cheap and cheapness and ghettoness brings down my property values, which is really all I care about and what all of you should care about.

Your criticisms read like those of a superficial princess who lacks empathy, maturity, and life experience, and who has few interests that don?t involve spending other peoples? money. Does anyone other than your carbon-copy friends or guys who want to get into your pants take you seriously?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Tiny bit off topic, but a few people have mentioned in this thread that Hoboken is more costly than DTJC. I could be wrong but last time I checked the cost to live in Hoboken was almost identical than it is to live in DTJC.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Newark between Grove st. and just past Erie st. could be turned into a pedestrian mall, with large outdoor seating areas for the restaurants on the block. If the city could purchase and demolish the Morlee's building, the intersection of Bay, Newark, and Erie could be turned into some sort of fountain garden plaza type thing to anchor the pedestrian mall. Not gonna happen anytime super soon but I think it would be cool if it happened someday.

That's a terrible Idea.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
Growing up in Elizabeth, I remember, as a young/school-aged child in the mid-to-late '70s, all the retail stores on Broad Street being open one weeknight late, until maybe 9 or so -- and that my mom would oftentimes schedule a shopping outing on that weeknight. Hah, it was an "event" when we would go, I remember the fun energy -- um, now that I think about it, it probably helped make me the life-long shopoholic that I am. But I digress. In any event, I think that would totally work on Newark.

This is a good suggestion - stores could pair it with something like a 10% discount to get people to take advantage of the longer hours. Anyone know someone maybe on the HSID board who we can pitch this to?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 12:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Growing up in Elizabeth, I remember, as a young/school-aged child in the mid-to-late '70s, all the retail stores on Broad Street being open one weeknight late, until maybe 9 or so -- and that my mom would oftentimes schedule a shopping outing on that weeknight. Hah, it was an "event" when we would go, I remember the fun energy -- um, now that I think about it, it probably helped make me the life-long shopoholic that I am. But I digress. In any event, I think that would totally work on Newark.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 11:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/20 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
again, i think the problem is there are too many dollar stores and the like. the best solution that most people can agree on is to keep whatever stores already exist... and then fill out the various empty store fronts, ideally, with non dollars stores/nail salons/cheap electronics.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
FYI to all the 99 cent store haters, here is a pic of a store on East 23rd street that sits a few feet away from The Visual Arts Museum and the City Opera Thrift shop. So a city like NYC has no problem mixing it up and I am sure we can do the same.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/2 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
MUCH less, though. Newark Ave is desolate after 8pm, less than 50% of stores are open, which is crazy for 8pm in an urban city.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Like many people on here, I prefer a mix of some grit with some trendier stuff. My main beef is with most of the stores shutting so damn early, and pulling down the hideous gates. Walking down Newark Ave at 8pm, you'd never guess that apartments were renting at $2,000 for a 1-BR...it looks kind of rundown.

The last thing I want is for Newark Ave to be full of chain restaurants. I think we should strive for gentrification with some character - maybe like Smith Street in Carroll Gardens?

Speaking of which, what exactly brings such douchiness to Hoboken? Places in Brooklyn that are equally gentrified don't seem to drip with that kind of cheesiness. What makes Hoboken like that? Whatever it is, JC should learn from Hoboken and steer clear of that route.

Grove St. has many stores that close early and have metal gates, too.

I am confused, I thought your complaint was about the gates. I co-own a shop in NYC and we close at 8 PM during the fall/winter months and 6 during the summer months. I don't know too many stores that stay open later than that unless its a bar or restaurant. I don't see a reason why any store would be open till 10 PM.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
MUCH less, though. Newark Ave is desolate after 8pm, less than 50% of stores are open, which is crazy for 8pm in an urban city.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Like many people on here, I prefer a mix of some grit with some trendier stuff. My main beef is with most of the stores shutting so damn early, and pulling down the hideous gates. Walking down Newark Ave at 8pm, you'd never guess that apartments were renting at $2,000 for a 1-BR...it looks kind of rundown.

The last thing I want is for Newark Ave to be full of chain restaurants. I think we should strive for gentrification with some character - maybe like Smith Street in Carroll Gardens?

Speaking of which, what exactly brings such douchiness to Hoboken? Places in Brooklyn that are equally gentrified don't seem to drip with that kind of cheesiness. What makes Hoboken like that? Whatever it is, JC should learn from Hoboken and steer clear of that route.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I think we should strive for gentrification with some character - maybe like Smith Street in Carroll Gardens?

And what a perfect example. When I lived in Carroll Gardens in the '80s, I was afraid to walk on Smith Street. NOW look at it!

Posted on: 2013/8/1 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/1 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Agreed on all fronts. I'm born and raised in JC, lived here most of my life and want to see it prosper. But pure gentrification is garbage and leads to hollow cities like Hoboken as the biggest example.

I'm on my neighborhood association and am trying to make positive changes, but it's difficult with so many transplants thinking they know what's best for a city they hardly know.

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quick question: how many people on this thread lived in Jersey City 10 or more years ago?

There was a time when Hamilton Park was sad, neglected, and dangerous. Now that area commands some of the higher rents in downtown.

If you want a place that is 100% gentrified then move to Hoboken or Park Slope. JC is in transition, stop bitching about it, you're the one who moved here voluntarily. Maybe join or form a neighborhood watch or litter patrol or even better, open a business in one of the empty storefronts. Bunch of monday morning quarterbacks on here.

Also I would rather see the empty storefronts filled before we talk about axing existing businesses. Think about it - they close, nothing goes in, that is NOT going to "clean things up." It will move us backwards.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/1 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Why would anyone even suggest axing a going concern? If you don't like it, don't shop there, but if a business is making money, why on earth should it close to suit someone's aesthetics.

Spoiled much?

Posted on: 2013/8/1 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
You are all a bunch of ignorant sluts

Hey!!!...I'm not ignorant.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quick question: how many people on this thread lived in Jersey City 10 or more years ago?

There was a time when Hamilton Park was sad, neglected, and dangerous. Now that area commands some of the higher rents in downtown.

If you want a place that is 100% gentrified then move to Hoboken or Park Slope. JC is in transition, stop bitching about it, you're the one who moved here voluntarily. Maybe join or form a neighborhood watch or litter patrol or even better, open a business in one of the empty storefronts. Bunch of monday morning quarterbacks on here.

Also I would rather see the empty storefronts filled before we talk about axing existing businesses. Think about it - they close, nothing goes in, that is NOT going to "clean things up." It will move us backwards.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 19:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
A real bookstore (like we're getting soon), a bar/music venue would be great, a small running store (the one in newport closed), a coffee shop, etc...anything but more nail salons and dollar stores... Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: So what stores did you have in mind? Pita Grill? Panera? Maxwells (sarcasm). Any ideas? Quote:
mendezia wrote: Not offended at all. I just have an opinion which happens to differ from yours. They sell garbage you can buy in 20 other stores throughough JC. They don't add anything to the neighborhood, and they are eyesores. I don't group Morlees with this bunch because the store actually cleaned up its act, put up a nice sign, and brings something different to downtown. We don't need a dozen nail salons and bodegas in one block.... Quote:
I_heart_JC wrote: Quote:
mendezia wrote: Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: I may not frequent the dollar stores, etc., but I agree that all upscale, shiny stores isn't the answer. The last thing I want is for DTJC to become Hoboken. Talk about a town that is so homogenous, uninteresting and lacking character...Hoboken is it!! I, along with many of my JC natives, avoid Hoboken at all costs. Don't let DTJC become another Hoboken!!!!
Yes, because the dollar stores and other shitholes really add some much "character" to the DTJC. >facepalm<
they don't promise character. they promise stuff for a dollar. some people in downtown need or want cheap stuff. sorry if that offends you.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Or remembering how dirty it was before and being thankful it was cleaned up and that these crappy stores, nail salons, etc., are gone... Quote:
MikeyTBC wrote: Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: Precisely. Either Mendezia is from Hoboken and didn't like my comparison, or just clueless. Either way, if dollar stores and a little bit of grime keep DTJC from becoming the Douche mecca that is Hoboken, keep em coming! Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: I may not frequent the dollar stores, etc., but I agree that all upscale, shiny stores isn't the answer. The last thing I want is for DTJC to become Hoboken. Talk about a town that is so homogenous, uninteresting and lacking character...Hoboken is it!! I, along with many of my JC natives, avoid Hoboken at all costs. Don't let DTJC become another Hoboken!!!!
Yes, because the dollar stores and other shitholes really add some much "character" to the DTJC. >facepalm<
they don't promise character. they promise stuff for a dollar. some people in downtown need or want cheap stuff. sorry if that offends you.
Exactly. This is what I dont get. People are moving here from hoboken and NYC and want to change DTJC so it's more like hoboken or NYC. Why not just go back to where you came from if it's so great. What you people are asking for is exactly what Washington St is. Just go there. Please. Whatever. I'm sure the same conversation will be taking place ten years from now except it will be about all the "cheap" stores on Central ave.
In ten years, these asshats will be complaining about how generic downtown has become, and THEN they'll move to the heights and proceed to bitch about Central Ave.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mendezia wrote:
They sell garbage you can buy in 20 other stores throughough JC. They don't add anything to the neighborhood, and they are eyesores. I don't group Morlees with this bunch because the store actually cleaned up its act, put up a nice sign, and brings something different to downtown. We don't need a dozen nail salons and bodegas in one block....

I agree they could look nicer (Palace Drugs did a good spruce-up, signage-wise, and the Korean market on Bay Street is beautiful now). But if a dozen nail salons, bodegas, and dollar stores are getting enough business to stay afloat, then downtown needs them, and they're adding to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
So what stores did you have in mind? Pita Grill? Panera? Maxwells (sarcasm). Any ideas? Quote:
mendezia wrote: Not offended at all. I just have an opinion which happens to differ from yours. They sell garbage you can buy in 20 other stores throughough JC. They don't add anything to the neighborhood, and they are eyesores. I don't group Morlees with this bunch because the store actually cleaned up its act, put up a nice sign, and brings something different to downtown. We don't need a dozen nail salons and bodegas in one block.... Quote:

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
You are all a bunch of ignorant sluts

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
MikeyTBC wrote: Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: Precisely. Either Mendezia is from Hoboken and didn't like my comparison, or just clueless. Either way, if dollar stores and a little bit of grime keep DTJC from becoming the Douche mecca that is Hoboken, keep em coming! Quote:
Exactly. This is what I dont get. People are moving here from hoboken and NYC and want to change DTJC so it's more like hoboken or NYC. Why not just go back to where you came from if it's so great. What you people are asking for is exactly what Washington St is. Just go there. Please. Whatever. I'm sure the same conversation will be taking place ten years from now except it will be about all the "cheap" stores on Central ave.
In ten years, these asshats will be complaining about how generic downtown has become, and THEN they'll move to the heights and proceed to bitch about Central Ave.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not offended at all. I just have an opinion which happens to differ from yours. They sell garbage you can buy in 20 other stores throughough JC. They don't add anything to the neighborhood, and they are eyesores. I don't group Morlees with this bunch because the store actually cleaned up its act, put up a nice sign, and brings something different to downtown. We don't need a dozen nail salons and bodegas in one block.... Quote:

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:57

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017